What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre meeting with Childress (3 Viewers)

Take it for what it is worth. I have a buddy who says that Deanna Favre is currently at The Local, a downtown Minneapolis restaurant....
This is getting silly though...She was in Green Bay earlier this morning...then went back to Hattiesburg...so she got back ona plane for up north too?

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/44377662.html
It said she boarded a private plane... maybe that plane was headed to Minny. The fact that she was already up North makes it very plausible to me.
It said she boarded it "to return to Hattiesburg, Miss."...meaning they probably actually checked the flight plan.Sure...it could have...but its reported that it was to return to Miss...why did you leave that part out?

Take it for what it is worth. I have a buddy who says that Deanna Favre is currently at The Local, a downtown Minneapolis restaurant....
This is getting silly though...She was in Green Bay earlier this morning...then went back to Hattiesburg...so she got back ona plane for up north too?

its all just rumors :shrug:
No...that was actually fact...not shocking that you still don't know the difference and wanted to try bringing up some BS from last year though.

I guess I am through defending Childress from the rest of the Viking faithful. The rumor was that the Vikings did not pursue Cutler because someone in the organization believed he was a selfish player but they have no problem with Favre. Favre actions the last couple of years have been nothing but self serving. Bunch of friggin hypocrites.
:doh: /thread

I guess I am through defending Childress from the rest of the Viking faithful. The rumor was that the Vikings did not pursue Cutler because someone in the organization believed he was a selfish player but they have no problem with Favre. Favre actions the last couple of years have been nothing but self serving. Bunch of friggin hypocrites.
and if he is coming back to stick it to GB what is that?

:ninja: /thread
I don't see anything wrong with what the team did with regards to Cutler. Look what Chicago gave up to get him. Had Minnesota not given up last year's draft for Allen, then they might have had the means to pursue such a steep price. However, the depth of this team is terrible. They had to sign Napoleon Harris because the only option they had at MLB got hurt. When your depth chart has one name on it at certain positions, then you need depth more than top end talent. So when the organization said they're not pursuing him because he's perceived to be a bit selfish, you can take that at face value or you can look further into it. Had Cutler's price been a second round pick, there's no doubt he would be a Viking. However, since the price tag was so high and the team depth so poor, other aspects of the deal like his attitude carry a much larger effect.Fast forward to Favre. Sure he's selfish, maybe moreso than Cutler, but he costs the team nothing in terms of their future or their depth.(Unless you think JDB is the future of the franchise) If his arm is healthy, he's better than any QB on the roster.(Sage isn't better than a healthy Favre, even at his age, so don't give me that BS. Favre was a quality QB in the first half of last season and that was with a playbook he didn't know very well.) So why not meet with him. If Childress comes away from the meeting feeling that Favre is healthy and committed to winning then he should pursue it. A healthy Favre would give this team a good shot at making it deep into the playoffs and maybe even to the SB. If it doesn't work out, they wasted a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

It said she boarded a private plane... maybe that plane was headed to Minny. The fact that she was already up North makes it very plausible to me.
It said she boarded it "to return to Hattiesburg, Miss."...meaning they probably actually checked the flight plan.Sure...it could have...but its reported that it was to return to Miss...why did you leave that part out?
I assume that accurately obtaining the info to a private plane's destination could be a little less black and white as when you check on flight 571 out of O'hare and that a 300 mile detour could be arranged or even unreported (to the public, not ATC).Heck... she could arrive in GB... drive to Minny... have lunch... drive back to GB and fly out all within a 9 or 10 hour span.

As for the bolded... it was also reported that Favre retired last year :lol:

In other news, John Madden is meeting with ESPN this week. Madden is considering coming out of retirement so he can do the Packers/Vikings Monday Night Football game week 4.

What I think nobody is talking about in all this that is the most interesting to me personally (aside from going 15 rounds with Packer faithful, for the 1,000th time) is this:

1. Pat Kirwan (I think it was him, anyway) said it best on NFL.com. *IF* Favre comes back in 2009, it will be in a role strikingly similar to Kerry Collins of the Titans. His passing attempts per-game would go down significantly. However, he still has a big enough arm to be enough of a threat to give defenses something to stay honest with. Rosenfels or Jackson might make defensive coordinators pay for going eight in the box to stop Peterson/Taylor. Favre WOULD make them pay.

2. The running game. Childress doesn't want to be a 3-4 WR or "Wildcat" offense. He wants to smash people's facemasks in...with just enough deep patterns to keep defensive coordinators honest. Having Favre keeping DCs more honest than Rosenfels or Jackson would open more running lanes for Peterson and Taylor...and if either back (Peterson in particular) gets into the linebackers relatively untouched even 2-3 more times per game, they are going to see their YPC figures increase. A few tenths of a yard, at minimum.

3. Percy Harvin. He's easy to hate-on, and has a high bust potential! However, does anybody else see him as being just about perfect in a dink-and-dunk underneath/possession passing attack? I would see Harvin as being a HUGE benefactor to any potential Favre sighting in Minnesota...more-so than Berrian, Rice or any other WR on the roster.

Forget about all the emotion or hate between Vikings and Packers fans. From a pure football or FFL standpoint, having Favre around even for one year would teach the younger O-Linemen, WRs and TEs on the roster a great deal if they paid attention...not to mention what Jackson or even Rosenfels could gleen if Favre doesn't mind them following him around all the time. :goodposting:

What I think nobody is talking about in all this that is the most interesting to me personally (aside from going 15 rounds with Packer faithful, for the 1,000th time) is this:

1. Pat Kirwan (I think it was him, anyway) said it best on NFL.com. *IF* Favre comes back in 2009, it will be in a role strikingly similar to Kerry Collins of the Titans. His passing attempts per-game would go down significantly. However, he still has a big enough arm to be enough of a threat to give defenses something to stay honest with. Rosenfels or Jackson might make defensive coordinators pay for going eight in the box to stop Peterson/Taylor. Favre WOULD make them pay.

2. The running game. Childress doesn't want to be a 3-4 WR or "Wildcat" offense. He wants to smash people's facemasks in...with just enough deep patterns to keep defensive coordinators honest. Having Favre keeping DCs more honest than Rosenfels or Jackson would open more running lanes for Peterson and Taylor...and if either back (Peterson in particular) gets into the linebackers relatively untouched even 2-3 more times per game, they are going to see their YPC figures increase. A few tenths of a yard, at minimum.

3. Percy Harvin. He's easy to hate-on, and has a high bust potential! However, does anybody else see him as being just about perfect in a dink-and-dunk underneath/possession passing attack? I would see Harvin as being a HUGE benefactor to any potential Favre sighting in Minnesota...more-so than Berrian, Rice or any other WR on the roster.

Forget about all the emotion or hate between Vikings and Packers fans. From a pure football or FFL standpoint, having Favre around even for one year would teach the younger O-Linemen, WRs and TEs on the roster a great deal if they paid attention...not to mention what Jackson or even Rosenfels could gleen if Favre doesn't mind them following him around all the time. :goodposting:
Also the 7th Seal will open up and reveal mankind's final destiny, which I hear people have been waiting for for a while so it's about time we got to see what the big deal was.But your points are ACE, yes. Good points.

You have to admire unselfish players like Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner. Both were willing to take a job as a backup and when they got their chance to play again made the most of it.Compare that to Favre who retires and then asks for a trade rather than play back up to Rodgers. He goes to the Jets and they immediately push Chad Pennington out the door and they eat his signing bonus. They wasted cap space and a third round pick for him just to have him retire again. Now the idiots in Minnesota are going to give him the starting QB job – no way else they are going to get him out of retirement. They will have to retract their statements to Rosenfels when they told him that he would get the opportunity to compete and Jackson will languish on the bench. Booty will probably get the boot and Favre will serve up yet another interception to knock his third team in a row out of the playoffs
It's great to have an opinion, but Favre does have a Super Bowl ring and also served up another strong performance in a classic with Denver the following season. I realize he throws a lot of interceptions but many of the gunslingers do, guys like Marino, Moon, Kelly, they all thre their fair share of interceptions, many of them at very unopportune times. Not defending Favre but the Vikings as many of us have said even before the Vikings fans wanted to talk about it, was that this team is ready to win right now. They have a pretty good OL and perhaps the best starting DL in the NFL. I love the Giants depth at DL but I like the frontline players etter in MN. But getting back on point here, the Vikes are ready to win now and windows do not stay open forever. Childress is one of the worst coaches in the NFL in my opinion, in fact I started a thread on this guy last year that ran for most of the season. But in this case, I can understand why he would at least explore the option. Favre with Sage in the wings would be a very strong QB tandem and turn a glaring weakness into at least an average to above average situation. They have a great starting RB with another RB behind him that could start for many teams in the NFL...you never heard Chester mentioned in any trades and that's because he is the best insurance they can have just in case ADP...The point is Donny, maybe you could ratchet this down just a hair, we all get your disdain for Favre and what he has done the past couple of years, but in 2007 he was amazing durign the season and took his team to the NFC Championship, was a lot of fun for NFL fans who crave to hold on to just a little more magic from a guy like Favre who connects back to guys like Marino, Moon, Montana...Favre has that kind of fan base. I hate the Green Bay Packers but I have loved watching Brett Favre play all these years and if he wants to keep playing then I want to keep watching, be it for the Vikes or whoever. But Favre is better than anything the Vikes have thrown out there the past 4-5 years since CPepp was injured. I would be excited if I was a MN Vikings fan not upset. You all have never won a Super Bowl and Favre has so chill out just a little and enjoy the festivities.
I am disappointed mostly that Sage won't get his chance no matter how well he plays in training camp and preseason. The competition is over before it began. Everybody and their dog was saying last year how Favre was such a huge upgrade over Chad Pennington but they for the most part were wrong. I think they are wrong here as well. The expectation that the Vikings become a Super Bowl contender just because Favre is under center is unreasonably high. I really think the Vikings are doing this for the wrong reason that is to sell tickets this season and not looking at the future of the franchise. I want the Vikings to build a team that is capable of being a contender for several years rather than a one hit wonder. In 2010, Favre will be gone again and Vikings will be several million dollars lighter and still wondering what they have at QB.

I know it's only two games, but what a great way for Favre to make sure that no one ever completes more passes to a Green Bay Packer.

It's great to have an opinion, but Favre does have a Super Bowl ring and also served up another strong performance in a classic with Denver the following season. I realize he throws a lot of interceptions but many of the gunslingers do, guys like Marino, Moon, Kelly, they all thre their fair share of interceptions, many of them at very unopportune times. Not defending Favre but the Vikings as many of us have said even before the Vikings fans wanted to talk about it, was that this team is ready to win right now. They have a pretty good OL and perhaps the best starting DL in the NFL. I love the Giants depth at DL but I like the frontline players etter in MN.
Appropos of nothing, Favre does have more SB rings than those three combined. :coffee:
The point is Donny, maybe you could ratchet this down just a hair, we all get your disdain for Favre and what he has done the past couple of years, but in 2007 he was amazing durign the season and took his team to the NFC Championship, was a lot of fun for NFL fans who crave to hold on to just a little more magic from a guy like Favre who connects back to guys like Marino, Moon, Montana...Favre has that kind of fan base. I hate the Green Bay Packers but I have loved watching Brett Favre play all these years and if he wants to keep playing then I want to keep watching, be it for the Vikes or whoever. But Favre is better than anything the Vikes have thrown out there the past 4-5 years since CPepp was injured. I would be excited if I was a MN Vikings fan not upset. You all have never won a Super Bowl and Favre has so chill out just a little and enjoy the festivities.
However, there comes a point when an athlete just has no more to give. The talent, the skills, the heart all break down/give out at this point. The fact that we're debating this with respect to Favre for at least two years should be telling. At what point is it going to take for #4 to quit? Will he literally have to have the jersey ripped off his back and have his release be the lead story on every cable sports network? Or, will he finally recognize the 800 pound gorilla in his living room and retire gracefully? The longer this goes on, the more I'm reminded of my first sports heroes Johnny Unitas stumbling around in a Charger uni. It was painful to watch. :shrug:

I am not a Favre fan.

But people questioning his desire to play and toughness seem to forget this is a QB who has never missed a game due to injury. He has been injured. But he always started anyways.

Sounds like a guy who loves to play to me.

How good he is at this point in his career is questionable. But I don't think his passion for the game and toughness can be questioned.

Matt Sherleth on ESPN insinuating that Favre's only desire to play is for 2 games against the Packers is just ridiculous. He likes to play football.

Forget about all the emotion or hate between Vikings and Packers fans. From a pure football or FFL standpoint, having Favre around even for one year would teach the younger O-Linemen, WRs and TEs on the roster a great deal if they paid attention...not to mention what Jackson or even Rosenfels could gleen if Favre doesn't mind them following him around all the time. :blackdot:
Since when has Favre been a good teacher?

I would be most focused on:

1. The health of his arm.

2. Suggestions that he doesn't want to do anything apart from show up Sunday and "fling the rock"

3. Suggestions he is not interested in being a "team mate"; and

4. The reality that aside from all the unknowns, the one certainty is that he has a very short shelf life.

If you look up "hired gun" in the dictionary, Favre's pic is there now. He's like that prototypical "deadline trade" impact player that's brought in for a play-off run in other professional sports. Honestly though, how many times do those moves really work out?

Forget about all the emotion or hate between Vikings and Packers fans. From a pure football or FFL standpoint, having Favre around even for one year would teach the younger O-Linemen, WRs and TEs on the roster a great deal if they paid attention...not to mention what Jackson or even Rosenfels could gleen if Favre doesn't mind them following him around all the time. :wall:
:wall: He hasn't imo.

The day he signs with Minnesota is the day he is dead to me.
Its a toss up IMO who is better between Sage and Bret. The reason I want Favre in purple is it would break the true Packer fans heart, no matter how hard they would try and fight it.
:goodposting:
I understand that sentiment, and would feel the same way if the tables were turned.And I'm completely serious about how I would view Favre if he does sign with Minnesota.When Favre was a boozed up drug hound, we defended him at all costs. He was ours. When Favre threw 5 ints and cost us playoff games. We defended him. That's just ol' Brett, playing the game. When Favre said he wanted no part of bringing Rodgers along, we defended him. That's not his job.Well, I can't defend this guy anymore, and haven't been able to for a while.What Brett fails to realize is that he's not just 'stickin it' to Ted Thompson, he's stickin it to the folks that drove 600 miles and over paid for preseason tickets just to watch him play a quarter so they could say they watched Favre at Lambeau. Or maybe he gets it and doesn't care. Either way, my opinion of him could not be lower right now.

1. Pat Kirwan knows the game plan for the Vikings and thinks they can control what Favre does? Funny. Do you think this is actually true...that they will be able to settle him down and not just let him go? Im doubting it...it took years and finally McCarthy did it for one season to get him to play within the system. Good luck with that.2. Good point there.

3. Not hating on him...but he is still an unknown on this level. And Favre has always been so cheery with rookie WRs too.

From a pure football standpoint it makes sense if you think Favre will really buy into the team thing and work on all that. The problem with that is his motivation seems somewhere far from any team success.

Forget about all the emotion or hate between Vikings and Packers fans. From a pure football or FFL standpoint, having Favre around even for one year would teach the younger O-Linemen, WRs and TEs on the roster a great deal if they paid attention...not to mention what Jackson or even Rosenfels could gleen if Favre doesn't mind them following him around all the time. :thumbup:
1. Pat Kirwan knows the game plan for the Vikings and thinks they can control what Favre does? Funny. Do you think this is actually true...that they will be able to settle him down and not just let him go? Im doubting it...it took years and finally McCarthy did it for one season to get him to play within the system. Good luck with that.2. Good point there.

3. Not hating on him...but he is still an unknown on this level. And Favre has always been so cheery with rookie WRs too.

From a pure football standpoint it makes sense if you think Favre will really buy into the team thing and work on all that. The problem with that is his motivation seems somewhere far from any team success.
People seem to forget that Darrell Bevell was the QB coach in GB when they had their terrible 4-12 season. Favre was out of control that year and I don't see how Childress could make the difference.

Its a toss up IMO who is better between Sage and Bret. The reason I want Favre in purple is it would break the true Packer fans heart, no matter how hard they would try and fight it.
Break our hearts? More Vikings fans assuming they know how we will feel.Last year it might have...this year not so much.
I know that different people will react in different ways, but I find that Man in the Yellow Hat's reaction to be quite a normal one to the situation, and I don't think it will be the minority opinion of Favre at this point.
And I'm completely serious about how I would view Favre if he does sign with Minnesota.

When Favre was a boozed up drug hound, we defended him at all costs. He was ours. When Favre threw 5 ints and cost us playoff games. We defended him. That's just ol' Brett, playing the game. When Favre said he wanted no part of brining Rodgers along, we defended him. That's not his job.

Well, I can't defend this guy anymore, and haven't been able to for a while.

What Brett fails to realize is that he's not just 'stickin it' to Ted Thompson, he's stickin it to the folks that drove 600 miles and over paid for preseason tickets just to watch him play a quarter so they could say they watched Favre at Lambeau.

Or maybe he gets it and doesn't care.

Either way, my opinion of him could not be lower right now.

Break our hearts? More Vikings fans assuming they know how we will feel.Last year it might have...this year not so much.
I love the way Viking fans perceive that they are GB's biggest rival when in reality it is the Bears and has always been the Bears. If Minn finally wins a SB they can talk about being rivals with the top two organizations in the division but until then they should stay in their own class and fight it out with Detroit.

I am not a Favre fan. But people questioning his desire to play and toughness seem to forget this is a QB who has never missed a game due to injury. He has been injured. But he always started anyways.Sounds like a guy who loves to play to me.How good he is at this point in his career is questionable. But I don't think his passion for the game and toughness can be questioned.Matt Sherleth on ESPN insinuating that Favre's only desire to play is for 2 games against the Packers is just ridiculous. He likes to play football.
He admitted that most of why he came back last year was to stick it to Thompson...that is FAvre admitting it...not just someone giving their opinion.And Schlereth said if that is why he is coming back than its for the wrong reason...and he is completely correct and mirroring what i have said about it.

If Green Bay doesn't want Minnesota for a Rival, and is more comfortable with the team that the Vikings beat in their very first game of existence...that's fine. We end up playing the Giants every year, so I guess a rivalry with a team with a consistent winning record would be more interesting than one based on geography. If you're gonna whine about it, I mean.

:lmao:
I understand that sentiment, and would feel the same way if the tables were turned.And I'm completely serious about how I would view Favre if he does sign with Minnesota.When Favre was a boozed up drug hound, we defended him at all costs. He was ours. When Favre threw 5 ints and cost us playoff games. We defended him. That's just ol' Brett, playing the game. When Favre said he wanted no part of bringing Rodgers along, we defended him. That's not his job.Well, I can't defend this guy anymore, and haven't been able to for a while.What Brett fails to realize is that he's not just 'stickin it' to Ted Thompson, he's stickin it to the folks that drove 600 miles and over paid for preseason tickets just to watch him play a quarter so they could say they watched Favre at Lambeau. Or maybe he gets it and doesn't care. Either way, my opinion of him could not be lower right now.
And as some forget to mention...he is also sticking it to teammates who worked their tails off with him and some admittedly for him for years.You think the fan reaction might get bad...want to see a defense fired up...it might get ugly.

I am not a Favre fan. But people questioning his desire to play and toughness seem to forget this is a QB who has never missed a game due to injury. He has been injured. But he always started anyways.Sounds like a guy who loves to play to me.How good he is at this point in his career is questionable. But I don't think his passion for the game and toughness can be questioned.Matt Sherleth on ESPN insinuating that Favre's only desire to play is for 2 games against the Packers is just ridiculous. He likes to play football.
He admitted that most of why he came back last year was to stick it to Thompson...that is FAvre admitting it...not just someone giving their opinion.And Schlereth said if that is why he is coming back than its for the wrong reason...and he is completely correct and mirroring what i have said about it.
TT wouldn't hire his buddy MoochTT let 2 of his friends leave during free agencyFavre sounds like a spoiled teenager more than a thinking adult. Right now those moves by TT look like the best ones for the team.Favre is just going to embarrass himself.

If Green Bay doesn't want Minnesota for a Rival, and is more comfortable with the team that the Vikings beat in their very first game of existence...that's fine. We end up playing the Giants every year, so I guess a rivalry with a team with a consistent winning record would be more interesting than one based on geography. If you're gonna whine about it, I mean.
Too funny...its not we don't want them as a rival...but one has been created and you all act as if its our biggest rivalry. Its yours...its your SB every year to play the Packers. Its not ours. Our rivalry is with the Bears.

I love the way Viking fans perceive that they are GB's biggest rival when in reality it is the Bears and has always been the Bears. If Minn finally wins a SB they can talk about being rivals with the top two organizations in the division but until then they should stay in their own class and fight it out with Detroit.
geez.. need a tissue.. with all of this crying.. What are you 10

:goodposting:
And as some forget to mention...he is also sticking it to teammates who worked their tails off with him and some admittedly for him for years.You think the fan reaction might get bad...want to see a defense fired up...it might get ugly.
I don't think players care nearly as much as people are intimating... players switch teams all the time, and Jason Taylor's concern about going to the Jets or Dolphins was mostly based on fan reaction. Longwell won a lot of games against the Vikings as a Packer, and he still had no problem signing with the Vikings. Sharper too. Obviously they aren't "Legendary" like Favre is...but they would still have to contend with former teammates if there was really an issue about switching teams. I think that $$$ is the overriding factor here for most players. For Favre, it's about getting back at the front office, not the teammates. I would even guess that some players might be sympathetic toward him, given they might be able to empathize what he went through, knowing that they themselves will one day be pushed out of a spot for someone else.

Too funny...its not we don't want them as a rival...but one has been created and you all act as if its our biggest rivalry. Its yours...its your SB every year to play the Packers. Its not ours. Our rivalry is with the Bears.
Again. If this were even PARTLY true and not just your collective desire to decrease the Vikings value...then nobody on the Packers would care if Favre went to the Vikings. You'd be laughing about it! But you're not. It's not funny, it's not a joke, and it's ruinning a lot of memories in cheeseland. I love the bravado. If your rivalry with the Bears was so strong, as several have tried to put it, then when the bears swept you two years ago in your 13-3 season, there were a lot of people faking like it didn't matter then because you had a winning record. I think Packer fans choose their rivalries based on who's beat them more recently. Convenient, but disengenuous.

geez.. need a tissue.. with all of this crying.. What are you 10
You have to reduce yourself to the level of the people you are respondig to or they don't understand. I would say 10 is about right.

I don't think players care nearly as much as people are intimating... players switch teams all the time, and Jason Taylor's concern about going to the Jets or Dolphins was mostly based on fan reaction. Longwell won a lot of games against the Vikings as a Packer, and he still had no problem signing with the Vikings. Sharper too. Obviously they aren't "Legendary" like Favre is...but they would still have to contend with former teammates if there was really an issue about switching teams. I think that $$$ is the overriding factor here for most players. For Favre, it's about getting back at the front office, not the teammates. I would even guess that some players might be sympathetic toward him, given they might be able to empathize what he went through, knowing that they themselves will one day be pushed out of a spot for someone else.
People switch teams all the time in FA and so on.I think there is a difference between Jason Taylor doing so...and a guy doing it just to stick it to his former team.Longwell did not go to Minny just to stick it to the Packers. Neither did Sharper. They went there because that is where they got the $$$.Yes, he wants to get back at the front office...but the only way to do that is to beat the team...which is more getting back at the players...like I said...I think they will be damn fired up to make sure he does not get that. Not because they feel some loyalty to Ted Thompson, but because they have their own pride.Some might be sympathetic...though some might also see that he retired...that he waffled...that he did a lot of it himself. He was not pushed out of a spot...he left his spot and got pissed when someone else took his seat at the table and there was no longer room for him.

Again. If this were even PARTLY true and not just your collective desire to decrease the Vikings value...then nobody on the Packers would care if Favre went to the Vikings. You'd be laughing about it! But you're not. It's not funny, it's not a joke, and it's ruinning a lot of memories in cheeseland. I love the bravado. If your rivalry with the Bears was so strong, as several have tried to put it, then when the bears swept you two years ago in your 13-3 season, there were a lot of people faking like it didn't matter then because you had a winning record. I think Packer fans choose their rivalries based on who's beat them more recently. Convenient, but disengenuous.
Umm...it is true.THey are one of their rivals from being in the division...but not close to the biggest rivalry.

THey care because of how Minny is set up and last year as I said you don't give a division rival the one piece they are perceived to be needing.

Ruining a lot of memories? Seriously...you are freaking delusional right now.

The rivalry with the Bears is strong. I hated losing those games...it was easier to get over because of the record and where the team was headed...we saw the big picture. You might want to step back and take a look.

Packer fans don't choose any rivalries...we know who the rival is. Why do you think Lovie's biggest thing when he came to Chicago was to talk about beating Green Bay?

You are proving some ignorance here scotty...quit trying to act as if you know what Packer fans are about...you are showing that you know very little about it.

People switch teams all the time in FA and so on.I think there is a difference between Jason Taylor doing so...and a guy doing it just to stick it to his former team.Longwell did not go to Minny just to stick it to the Packers. Neither did Sharper. They went there because that is where they got the $$$.Yes, he wants to get back at the front office...but the only way to do that is to beat the team...which is more getting back at the players...like I said...I think they will be damn fired up to make sure he does not get that. Not because they feel some loyalty to Ted Thompson, but because they have their own pride.Some might be sympathetic...though some might also see that he retired...that he waffled...that he did a lot of it himself. He was not pushed out of a spot...he left his spot and got pissed when someone else took his seat at the table and there was no longer room for him.
The players already know they've gotta play the Vikings twice a year (they might even consider it a rivalry, though fans have played this down since the Vikings won the division...) The Packers are going to try to win those games anyway, it's their job. I don't see how they'd be slighted by Favre's desire to continue to play football, even if the motivation is to show TT and McCarthy that he's still got it, even into his 40's.

Umm...it is true.THey are one of their rivals from being in the division...but not close to the biggest rivalry.THey care because of how Minny is set up and last year as I said you don't give a division rival the one piece they are perceived to be needing.Ruining a lot of memories? Seriously...you are freaking delusional right now.The rivalry with the Bears is strong. I hated losing those games...it was easier to get over because of the record and where the team was headed...we saw the big picture. You might want to step back and take a look.Packer fans don't choose any rivalries...we know who the rival is. Why do you think Lovie's biggest thing when he came to Chicago was to talk about beating Green Bay?You are proving some ignorance here scotty...quit trying to act as if you know what Packer fans are about...you are showing that you know very little about it.
Did I imagine reading this?
Are you really saying that there's only ONE Packer fan who feels this way? That would be delusional, but I don't think you really believe that. Like you wish to ignore the Vikings as rivals (a rivalry so strong that the win/loss record for games played between the two teams all time is nearly even) you're choosing to ignore how people feel about this situation. I don't care if you need a label "biggest" rival, you play it however you like. In your mind, you wish to place the Vikings, a very successful and winning franchise, next to the Lions, and you know that's nuts. The Vikings are constantly in the playoffs. Ignore them at your own peril, what do I care.But to deny how much Favre in purple will hurt your fellow Packer fans? That's just plain fake.

Umm...it is true.THey are one of their rivals from being in the division...but not close to the biggest rivalry.THey care because of how Minny is set up and last year as I said you don't give a division rival the one piece they are perceived to be needing.Ruining a lot of memories? Seriously...you are freaking delusional right now.The rivalry with the Bears is strong. I hated losing those games...it was easier to get over because of the record and where the team was headed...we saw the big picture. You might want to step back and take a look.Packer fans don't choose any rivalries...we know who the rival is. Why do you think Lovie's biggest thing when he came to Chicago was to talk about beating Green Bay?You are proving some ignorance here scotty...quit trying to act as if you know what Packer fans are about...you are showing that you know very little about it.
Did I imagine reading this?
Are you really saying that there's only ONE Packer fan who feels this way? That would be delusional, but I don't think you really believe that. Like you wish to ignore the Vikings as rivals (a rivalry so strong that the win/loss record for games played between the two teams all time is nearly even) you're choosing to ignore how people feel about this situation. I don't care if you need a label "biggest" rival, you play it however you like. In your mind, you wish to place the Vikings, a very successful and winning franchise, next to the Lions, and you know that's nuts. The Vikings are constantly in the playoffs. Ignore them at your own peril, what do I care.But to deny how much Favre in purple will hurt your fellow Packer fans? That's just plain fake.
You want to play semantics on what you meant by a lot of memories? I did not say just one...but I think it will be a small minority of people who will have their memories ruined as you claimed.I don't ignore them as "rivals". I think some of you overplay how much of a rivalry it is because you are Vikings fans and have no other real rival. But the rivalry will always pale in comparison to the Bears. Always.Just as it was a fun rivalry with the Bucs for a while there too...but it was always well in the backseat to that of Packers vs. Bears.Its that which you don't seem to understand.Im not denying that it will hurt some...Im denying how much it will really have the impact you claim.And much of this "hurt" is based on last year. My mother was pretty much done with him then...as were plenty of others. This will push them over the top...but its not all just about this.Its about the why he is coming back...not nearly as much about who it is for.

:thumbup:
Nicely put. I have that stance as well. From the Vikings perspective it does make sense. I don't think Favre is nearly the qb he used to be, but he is probably better than TJ or Sage. I do think that people who think Bevell or Childress can control him are going to be very disappointed. Favre has a right to do whatever he wants. It's unfortunate this is the way it is going down.

Chicago Bears vs. Minnesota Vikings (Vikings lead series 51-42-2)

Green Bay Packers vs. Chicago Bears (Bears lead series 91-80-6)

Minnesota Vikings vs. Green Bay Packers (Packers lead series 47-45-1)

Then throw in the trumped up tampering charges. Then throw in Favre, who evened out that record for the Packers, possibly coming over to the Vikings to throw it in the front offices face. Yeah, I can see why you want to play pretend and act as if the Vikings are closer to the Lions, who hold no winning records against the Vikings, Bears, or Packers.

Forget about all the emotion or hate between Vikings and Packers fans. From a pure football or FFL standpoint, having Favre around even for one year would teach the younger O-Linemen, WRs and TEs on the roster a great deal if they paid attention...not to mention what Jackson or even Rosenfels could gleen if Favre doesn't mind them following him around all the time. :lmao:
:shrug: He hasn't imo.
Mark Brunell, Kurt Warner, Matt Hasselbeck and Aaron Rodgers have all served under Him as backups to Him. I'd say He's maybe the greatest QB mentor ever.

funny you would say that.. I live in Wisconsin and of relatives and friends that I talked to that are packer fans 100% of them said if he signs with the Vikings they will be Viking fans for one year.. Lot's of :shrug: for favre still around in Western Wisconsin.

Chicago Bears vs. Minnesota Vikings (Vikings lead series 51-42-2)Green Bay Packers vs. Chicago Bears (Bears lead series 91-80-6)Minnesota Vikings vs. Green Bay Packers (Packers lead series 47-45-1)Then throw in the trumped up tampering charges. Then throw in Favre, who evened out that record for the Packers, possibly coming over to the Vikings to throw it in the front offices face. Yeah, I can see why you want to play pretend and act as if the Vikings are closer to the Lions, who hold no winning records against the Vikings, Bears, or Packers.
The Vikings are obiviously a rival of the Packers, as are the Lions. However the Bears are the Packers main rivals. Packer/Bear week is a big week for both sides. The Packers and Bears have played more than any two teams in the NFL, and based on your records above have played 84 more than times than the Packers have played the Vikings. That is just the way it is. I enjoy both rivalries and think most Bears and Vikings fans are just like Packer fans. They love their team but are fairly realistic. I haven't been to a game at that thing you call a stadium in Minnesota, but I have been a fair share of games at Soldier field. I do think Bears fans are a little less friendly than Packers fans, but I'm sure that's a skewed perception. The beauty of both of these rivalries is the proximity. There are so many fans that live in each state, went to school there, or married someone from that state. That is the problem with some of the divisions now. Indy and Jax may be a rivalry on the field but I imagine there aren't alot of people in Indy who run into Jaguars fans on a daily basis.

Chicago Bears vs. Minnesota Vikings (Vikings lead series 51-42-2)Green Bay Packers vs. Chicago Bears (Bears lead series 91-80-6)Minnesota Vikings vs. Green Bay Packers (Packers lead series 47-45-1)Then throw in the trumped up tampering charges. Then throw in Favre, who evened out that record for the Packers, possibly coming over to the Vikings to throw it in the front offices face. Yeah, I can see why you want to play pretend and act as if the Vikings are closer to the Lions, who hold no winning records against the Vikings, Bears, or Packers.
Yeah...its just about the record right?Look at the number of games the Pack has had with the Bears and then realize why its such a big rivalry.I don't act as if its closer to the Lions...it has passed them as a rivalry for now.But you are still proving how little about this you know with this.Seriously...stop.Its like your Apollo and Drago is just beating you down...and Duke is yelling to throw in the towel...but for some reason Rocky is still in your corner holding on to it and you are continuing to take a beating on this particular issue.You can keep trying all you want...the Vikings will not be as big of a rival for Packer fans as you want them to be.

Users who are viewing this thread