What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre released by NYJ (1 Viewer)

I'm sure it's so he can sign the ol' 1-day contract and retire as a Packer.

Hopefully...we don't need another off season of this.

you guys beat up on him, but I think it's just simple miscommunication and semantics.

what most of us call the 'off season' he has confused with 'retirement'.

Seriously...why not the Vikings? Rosenfels is that awesome? Minnesota with #4 behind center doesn't look like a playoff team?

He's available, so why wouldn't they try to lure him out of retirement? He likes to be wooed, obviously.

Seriously...why not the Vikings? Rosenfels is that awesome? Minnesota with #4 behind center doesn't look like a playoff team?He's available, so why wouldn't they try to lure him out of retirement? He likes to be wooed, obviously.
You know Brad Childress is probably on the phone right now with Bus Cook. Don't believe a word that Cook or Favre say. Something is up. There is no reason for the Jets to have to make a move. If Favre stays retired it doesn't cost them a thing against the salary cap. No reason for them to release him.

Seriously...why not the Vikings? Rosenfels is that awesome? Minnesota with #4 behind center doesn't look like a playoff team?He's available, so why wouldn't they try to lure him out of retirement? He likes to be wooed, obviously.
You know Brad Childress is probably on the phone right now with Bus Cook. Don't believe a word that Cook or Favre say. Something is up. There is no reason for the Jets to have to make a move. If Favre stays retired it doesn't cost them a thing against the salary cap. No reason for them to release him.
don't mention it to childress, but between you and me, I have a reliable source telling me belichick's working him out.

Bullocks...

Favre is retired for good this time.

No, really.

Seriously.

:thumbdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened before last season and the result of last season, I think, shows us that Favre is done. Both in his mind, and in the minds of league owners.

I agree that I can see him signing with the Pack for a day, then retiring for good...

It's like at the end of a horror movie when Jason/Freddy/miscellaneous monster is dead and then right before the credits roll up his eye opens.

The reports state the Jets granted his wish to be released.

whats the cap hit?
There is no cap hit. His signing bonus was taken care of when Green Bay traded him last year. It rolled into their salary cap in 2008. Just his salary was guaranteed and that is now gone as it was when he went to the retired list. No difference in the end

What benefit would accrue to the Jets by denying his request for release? As said, maybe he wants to be able to retire as a Packer? Or maybe he would like a coaching job. He's already been invited to Browns camp as a guest instructor. I imagine he'd have other opportunities as well.ETA link:

" Favre couldn't run the practice team because he is still under contract with the Jets, but Mangini didn't rule out Favre being a guest instructor for quarterbacks Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson"

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29877987/

If he signs with someone, over/under on # of days elapsed before Madden announces his return to the booth?

I very much doubt anyone will be interested to sign him. It wasn't only his arm that was a problem last year. It was his head, too.

What benefit would accrue to the Jets by denying his request for release? As said, maybe he wants to be able to retire as a Packer? Or maybe he would like a coaching job. He's already been invited to Browns camp as a guest instructor. I imagine he'd have other opportunities as well.ETA link:

" Favre couldn't run the practice team because he is still under contract with the Jets, but Mangini didn't rule out Favre being a guest instructor for quarterbacks Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson"

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29877987/
So much for all those reports that Mangini never wanted Favre around and it became a "him or me" at the end of last season. :unsure:
I very much doubt anyone will be interested to sign him. It wasn't only his arm that was a problem last year. It was his head, too.
In all seriousness, Favre had a biceps injury that still wasn't feeling good in February. And Favre said he had no interest in surgery; which made his decision to retire an easy one. Assuming the biceps injury wasn't fabricated, and assuming I didn't miss word that Favre went under the knife, I'm not sure he's even fit to sign with another team. :shrug:

I still blame Ted Thompson.
For what? :unsure: If it wasn't for Favre Rodgers would have gotten some playing time before last season and would have been gradually phased in.Rodgers did well for a 1st year starter with a separated shoulder. He played well in pain. He needs to work on coming back at the end of games but the teams problem last year was defense. With that defense in 07 Favre would have thrown 30 interceptions instead of going 13-3.

I assume this is sarcasm. If anything can be said in this situation it's that Thompson was right. Rodgers was ready, and Favre is selfish and old. Local radio and newspaper in Milwaukee think he will eventually sign with Minnesota. One of the Packers beat writers said Favre isn't the one steering the ship on this. His family holds more of a grudge against the Packers than he does and wants him to play for Minnesota to stick to the Packers. Favre still has the injured shoulder and bicep and really faded down the stretch. Doesn't seem like him taking Minnesota to the Super Bowl is a guarantee and he will pretty much ruin his legacy in Wisconsin. The fans in Wisconsin pretty much put his wife's book on the top ten list and have given alot to his charities. Packers fan will still love him for what he did but I don't think he will get the contributions, etc.

So much for all those reports that Mangini never wanted Favre around and it became a "him or me" at the end of last season. ;)
COuld me fiction of the media or could still be true. Some people can be great friends when they don't have to work together! Or they could be sucking it up because they both benefit.

So much for all those reports that Mangini never wanted Favre around and it became a "him or me" at the end of last season. :bs:
COuld me fiction of the media or could still be true. Some people can be great friends when they don't have to work together! Or they could be sucking it up because they both benefit.
How would Favre benefit from helping out QBs at a Browns mini-camp? :bag:Favre freely admitted to having no interest in mentoring QBs on his own teams while playing the game, and was known to be difficult to win over by younger teammates, as well. There's that ESPN article I'm thinking of where Greg Jennings talks about how Favre didn't even acknowledge him or know his name until the very end of his rookie year, and they really didn't have a conversation until midway through the next season. And I can't fathom why Favre would want to be a coach. Players of his caliber almost never go into coaching, at least for long.And last but not least, objectively why would an NFL head coach want Favre to mentor his QBs? What made Favre special wasn't something that can be taught, and mechanically even the most ardent Favre supporters admit he was no role model.

If his arm was 100%, I'd roll the dice again.....I think he was used totally wrong and was put in situations which a) Got him injured and b) he shouldn't have been in to make a lot of mistakes he made...I'll simply point to the 1st half of the Raider game - One of the worst Run defenses in the NFL last year. Jets were supposed to have one of the better run games.. Jets come out for almost all of the 1st quarter in an Empty Backfield - Favre gets Blasted time and time again and the Jets barely run the ball the whole half :confused: ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????? Was this a reaction to people saying that if you have Favre you must throw??? - was this trying to be "cute"?? .... I don't know what that was but, if Im HC Favre hands off all 1st half, doesn't get Crushed and is a lot healthier - then takes advantage when the D allows him to throw... Same deal Vs the Chiefs...

If Favre has no plans to return why did he ask for his release from the Jets?

This looks more and more like a try out for the Vikings, if Favre's arm is ok?

And last but not least, objectively why would an NFL head coach want Favre to mentor his QBs? What made Favre special wasn't something that can be taught, and mechanically even the most ardent Favre supporters admit he was no role model.
Agreed...you can't teach the things he did best...and you don't want to teach young QBs to try and gun it down field, across your body, off your back foot...because Quinn and Anderson don't have the arm for that.Always thought coaching the backup to Favre would be like saying..."watch him do this...now, don't try doing that..."

How would Favre benefit from helping out QBs at a Browns mini-camp? :thumbdown:Favre freely admitted to having no interest in mentoring QBs on his own teams while playing the game, and was known to be difficult to win over by younger teammates, as well. There's that ESPN article I'm thinking of where Greg Jennings talks about how Favre didn't even acknowledge him or know his name until the very end of his rookie year, and they really didn't have a conversation until midway through the next season. And I can't fathom why Favre would want to be a coach. Players of his caliber almost never go into coaching, at least for long.And last but not least, objectively why would an NFL head coach want Favre to mentor his QBs? What made Favre special wasn't something that can be taught, and mechanically even the most ardent Favre supporters admit he was no role model.
Favre -- might not want to coach. But he might. Or he might at least welcome the chance to test out whether he would. It is totally different to do it now than when you're focused on playing and would be mentoring your competition. Mangini-- I think players benefit - even from a motivational or inspirational level - from hanging out with someone who was great at their position. While he may not be known as a role model, I'm sure he has something to share. I'd want him around my team if I had young QBs. And I don't even like him.

I think Favre might make the Vikings a better team, even with all his question marks. I would love to see it as it would make for great drama with Cutler, Rodgers, Favre and Stafford leading their teams in the NFC North this season.

I think Favre might make the Vikings a better team, even with all his question marks. I would love to see it as it would make for great drama with Cutler, Rodgers, Favre and Stafford leading their teams in the NFC North this season.
I would definitely be interested if something like this were to happen. I don't expect it but it would be enjoyable.

If his arm was 100%, I'd roll the dice again.....I think he was used totally wrong and was put in situations which a) Got him injured and b) he shouldn't have been in to make a lot of mistakes he made...I'll simply point to the 1st half of the Raider game - One of the worst Run defenses in the NFL last year. Jets were supposed to have one of the better run games.. Jets come out for almost all of the 1st quarter in an Empty Backfield - Favre gets Blasted time and time again and the Jets barely run the ball the whole half :thumbup: ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????? Was this a reaction to people saying that if you have Favre you must throw??? - was this trying to be "cute"?? .... I don't know what that was but, if Im HC Favre hands off all 1st half, doesn't get Crushed and is a lot healthier - then takes advantage when the D allows him to throw... Same deal Vs the Chiefs...
You're ignoring all the stories that came out about his being unwilling to put in the time to learn the offense and for specific game preparation. He just wanted to have fun gunning the ball. The locker room wasn't too happy with him.

For what? :hangover: If it wasn't for Favre Rodgers would have gotten some playing time before last season and would have been gradually phased in.Rodgers did well for a 1st year starter with a separated shoulder. He played well in pain. He needs to work on coming back at the end of games but the teams problem last year was defense. With that defense in 07 Favre would have thrown 30 interceptions instead of going 13-3.
I assume this is sarcasm. If anything can be said in this situation it's that Thompson was right. Rodgers was ready, and Favre is selfish and old. Local radio and newspaper in Milwaukee think he will eventually sign with Minnesota. One of the Packers beat writers said Favre isn't the one steering the ship on this. His family holds more of a grudge against the Packers than he does and wants him to play for Minnesota to stick to the Packers. Favre still has the injured shoulder and bicep and really faded down the stretch. Doesn't seem like him taking Minnesota to the Super Bowl is a guarantee and he will pretty much ruin his legacy in Wisconsin. The fans in Wisconsin pretty much put his wife's book on the top ten list and have given alot to his charities. Packers fan will still love him for what he did but I don't think he will get the contributions, etc.
I still don't think that this is any way for Packers fans to treat the greatest QB ever on his way out of the league. It's like he's some sort of pariah, and over who, Aaron Rodgers?

If his arm was 100%, I'd roll the dice again.....I think he was used totally wrong and was put in situations which a) Got him injured and b) he shouldn't have been in to make a lot of mistakes he made...

I'll simply point to the 1st half of the Raider game - One of the worst Run defenses in the NFL last year. Jets were supposed to have one of the better run games.. Jets come out for almost all of the 1st quarter in an Empty Backfield - Favre gets Blasted time and time again and the Jets barely run the ball the whole half :confused: ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????? Was this a reaction to people saying that if you have Favre you must throw??? - was this trying to be "cute"?? .... I don't know what that was but, if Im HC Favre hands off all 1st half, doesn't get Crushed and is a lot healthier - then takes advantage when the D allows him to throw... Same deal Vs the Chiefs...
You're ignoring all the stories that came out about his being unwilling to put in the time to learn the offense and for specific game preparation. He just wanted to have fun gunning the ball. The locker room wasn't too happy with him.
Are you a Jets fan? I think I watched it pretty closely and I think a few stories overshadowed the majority... But, that's what sells, espcially in NY and especially associated with Favre.I saw and heard players like Cotchery say it was the most fun he's ever had.. And players like Mangold going toe to toe with Favre on locker room pranks...

At the end of the season a few negative stories came out as they usually do on teams that end the season like that but, basically what Rhodes said was that IF he comes back, he would hope that he would be here with the TEAM thru all preseason prep - I think, again, that was twisted a bit and that statment goes for all players.....

I heard Jets special team coach Mike Westoff, Who I have incredible respect for, Absolutely GUSH over Favre and his preperation saying signing him was an absolute no brainer and the biggest reason why he rushed back from his medical situation and also state that he'd sign up as quick as you can hand him the pen for Favre to come back in 09'..... Westoff doesn't pull punches - I've heard him throw lazy non-team oriented players under the bus easily...

I think it's tough for a new guy like Rex to come in and want Favre to lead the team - New guys want their guys but, I'd bet top to bottom the majority of players and coaches with the Jets would have rolled out the red carpet and done it all over again if Favre was healthy and wanted to do it again.

Heck, everyone assumed Mangini and Favre were the two people who butted heads the most and now they still talk and discuss Favre coming to Cleveland camps to help out!!!!!!!

You have to put it all in context - The guy came in late and had a MONUMENTAL task taking over at QB for a 4-12 team the prior year - They showed flashes. But, I think most player sin that boat are going to be criticized and have thinsg twisted.. let alone Brett Favre in NYC!!!!!

"I think some of that was frustration and some of those things were taken out of context," said Baker. "Brett was a great teammate. I wouldn't say he was distant. He was 39 years old, older than most of the coaches. He's from Mississippi and spent most of his career in Green Bay. He's not going to identify with 22- and 23-year-olds.

"At the same time, he tried to fit in. I didn't have a problem with him. I've been here a long time and if I didn't have a problem with him I don't see how somebody else would."

Veteran guard Brandon Moore agreed.

"I had a lot of fun playing with a future Hall of Famer," he said. "It was one of the most memorable seasons I've ever had even though it didn't end the way we wanted. He was a good teammate. He brought energy and fun. He had stories to tell. He was a great guy to be around. Guys really enjoyed him."

Rhodes said his comments were blown out of proportion.

"What I said was -- and I still stand behind it -- is if he was coming back he needed to be around us as a team," said Rhodes. "It wasn't anything against him personally. I mean, he's the quarterback. I know Chad (Pennington) was always here. That's all I've seen my whole career.

For what? :lol: If it wasn't for Favre Rodgers would have gotten some playing time before last season and would have been gradually phased in.Rodgers did well for a 1st year starter with a separated shoulder. He played well in pain. He needs to work on coming back at the end of games but the teams problem last year was defense. With that defense in 07 Favre would have thrown 30 interceptions instead of going 13-3.
I still don't think that this is any way for Packers fans to treat the greatest QB ever on his way out of the league. It's like he's some sort of pariah, and over who, Aaron Rodgers?
It's a loyalty thing. There are tons of players who refuse to play for certain teams because they acknowledge it would anger their fans. It's like Clemons to the Yankees. Say what you will but if Peyton Manning retired and then said the only team he would play for was the Patriots because he wanted to stick it to the Colts, I don't think that would go over well with Colts fans.

I have no idea if Favre is still injured.

I believe he was never that enthusiastic about palying with the Jets, but made the best of it when it became his only option. So when it became clear (or even suggested) that Mangini was on the way out and that there might be a new offense, he jumped.

For my part, I would welcome him as a QB coach on ANY team. His knowledge of the game or the position should not be underestimated. Just because he played a certain way does not mean he cannot teach good technique. Of course, he may not want to.

Finally, the big wildcard is what his relationship is like with the Vikings coaching staff after last year. If I were the Vikings I think I would pass on Favre. They need to think about where they will be in 2 to 3 years and that surely does not include Favre. Nor Jackson. Sage might be and I would send him out with instructions not to lose the game (think Dilfer on the Ravens).

I have no idea if Favre is still injured.I believe he was never that enthusiastic about palying with the Jets, but made the best of it when it became his only option. So when it became clear (or even suggested) that Mangini was on the way out and that there might be a new offense, he jumped. For my part, I would welcome him as a QB coach on ANY team. His knowledge of the game or the position should not be underestimated. Just because he played a certain way does not mean he cannot teach good technique. Of course, he may not want to. Finally, the big wildcard is what his relationship is like with the Vikings coaching staff after last year. If I were the Vikings I think I would pass on Favre. They need to think about where they will be in 2 to 3 years and that surely does not include Favre. Nor Jackson. Sage might be and I would send him out with instructions not to lose the game (think Dilfer on the Ravens).
From the local Minneapolis newspaper (circa Mid February)Owner Zygi Wilf commented on Favre today in the Star Tribune:Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said he would not have any interest in Brett Favre if he was released by the Jets and available. “I would have been interested 15 years ago,” Wilf said. “No, I’m not interested. No way. I think he’s done well, he retired, it’s good. He’s a great guy. I’m just happy that we don’t have to keep on facing him.”

Brett Favre asked New York Jets for unconditional release twice, says source

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Wednesday April 29, 2009, 9:31 AM

Rich Kane/US Presswire

Brett Favre will be able to walk away from the Jets and sign with any team in the NFL after getting his release on Tuesday.

Just spoke to one of my guys and he gave me some behind-the-scenes insight on why the Jets officially released quarterback Brett Favre from the reserve/retired list on Tuesday night.

First, following the draft, Favre asked the Jets for his unconditional release for a "second time," I'm told. If you remember, when he retired last February, Favre and his agent, Bus Cook, denied they had asked the Jets for his official release.

But now with Mark Sanchez in the fold, Favre figured he could force the Jets' hand and gain his release.

Secondly, the Jets didn't want any "Favre drama" hanging over their heads with Sanchez trying to find his way. If Sanchez struggled this summer in training camp, for instance, the club didn't want the specter of a possible return by Favre hanging over their heads.

Sure, the Jets didn't have to grant Favre his wish, but they had nothing to gain by holding onto him and trying to get some compensation (he cost them a third-round pick) if a team wanted to sign him. They felt a mid-round draft pick (at best) wasn't worth the headache.

Although Favre said in a statement on Tuesday he has no intention of returning to football next season, his actions -- asking for his release from the Jets twice -- don't jive with his words.

During his time in New York, I really liked Favre as a person, but as facts continue to emerge, it seems like he has a hidden agenda at times. Why else would Favre ask for his release a second time if he didn't have any intentions on coming out of retirement -- and playing for the Vikings, perhaps?

If he never plans on playing another down in the NFL, would it really matter at all which team held his rights?

Hmmm Favre asked for his relase twice, doesn't sound like a guy who's going to hang it up

Users who are viewing this thread