What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Chess Tournament- 1st place to Zow, Winner! (1 Viewer)

Cranks resigns. During this tourney I played the exact same open in all the games where I was white and Cranks held me at bay, cornered me in pretty good. Fun game.

Tried to offer a draw…

It was a pretty even game and then I decided to sacrifice a pawn for better position and it didn’t work out.

If I knew how to post the game I would as I’d be curious to know how big a mistake that was or if I just couldn’t take advantage of it.

[Event "Playing on Chess Time"]
[Site "ChessTime"]
[Date "2023.11.13"]
[Round "1"]
[White "AAABatteries"]
[Black "wozzow "]
[Result "0-1"]

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 a6
4. Bxc6 dxc6
5. d3 Bd6
6. Be3 Ne7
7. c4 c5
8. Nc3 c6
9. a3 Rb8
10. Rb1 O-O
11. b4 cxb4
12. axb4 b5
13. c5 Bc7
14. O-O Bg4
15. Ra1 a5
16. bxa5 Bxa5
17. Rc1 b4
18. Na4 Ng6
19. h3 Bxf3
20. Qxf3 Qxd3
21. Rfd1 Qb5
22. Nb6 Bxb6
23. cxb6 Rfd8
24. Rxd8+ Rxd8
25. Rd1 Rxd1+
26. Qxd1 h6
27. Qd8+ Kh7
28. Qc7 b3
29. Bc1 Qb4
30. g3 Qe1+
31. Kg2 Qxc1
32. b7 b2
33. b8=Q b1=Q
34. Qxb1 Qxb1
35. Qxf7 Qxe4+
36. Qf3 Qd5 0-1

Tried to offer a draw…

It was a pretty even game and then I decided to sacrifice a pawn for better position and it didn’t work out.

If I knew how to post the game I would as I’d be curious to know how big a mistake that was or if I just couldn’t take advantage of it.
When I took your knight I believe I was good either way. Would have played f5 next if my hazy (whisky) memory is accurate.

Short update: tri-man defeats @Sand.

Long update:
Game 1 - I was trying a new, aggressive opening, but got too focused and so on move three, I left a knight exposed to an easy pawn capture. My GB was kind enough to point that out and to even let me redo the move. Three moves later, I checkmated him. So 1* - 0.

Game 2 - We decided it was only fair to make it a best of three contest. In game two, we went the distance and, in a final pawn battle, Sand prevailed. 1 - 1.

Game 3 - Another drawn out battle. It again was coming down to mainly pawns, and he had the edge. But with my pawns unable to advance, my king got trapped, but not checkmated. So …a draw. 1 - 1 - 1.

Game 4 - we both king- side castled early on. I stacked pieces for an attack, but he repositioned his queen to shut that down. But I was able to use a bishop on the other side of the board to grab both rooks, and he resigned. 2 - 1 - 1. Tri-man for the win.

Great games!!

Seriously if anyone finds a good way to play Chess 960 online, where we can set starting positions and play for free, let us know. I would totally be down for a Fischer Chess tournament.

Ok, I might try to actually improve before our next tournament. I've played for 49 years by feel and just sheer brainpower and it shows (because I'm a moron).

I need to learn openings and need something that allows me to analyze matches/positions - how can I do that?

Ok, I might try to actually improve before our next tournament. I've played for 49 years by feel and just sheer brainpower and it shows (because I'm a moron).

I need to learn openings and need something that allows me to analyze matches/positions - how can I do that?
In terms of learning openings, gambits, and strategies, my two favorites on YouTube are the Remote Chess Academy (Igor Smirnov) and Chess Vibes.

Thanks for the tournament, Tim. As I continue to learn how to properly play the game (I've only been into this for a few months), it was helpful to play these competitive matches in the context of the tourney.

For analysis do Lichess.org. Free and very good. You can play Stockfish, etc. Good puzzles there, too.

If you want to look at a database of master game openings Chess365 is awesome - free, as well, though you get more move depth if you sign up (also free).

I like chess365.com

Nice job @Zow!

Now next time you’re in Prescott let me know and we’ll drink whiskey and play chess - like stuff old guys do…

Reactions: Zow
My game has gone to #### lately. This tourney put a little fire into me and going back to the basics. Thanks as always for putting it together Tim.

Seriously if anyone finds a good way to play Chess 960 online, where we can set starting positions and play for free, let us know. I would totally be down for a Fischer Chess tournament.
I believe you can create custom games like this on Chess.com.

Btw, if anyone wants to play me I'm workdog3 over there.

Users who are viewing this thread