What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** FBG Complaint Thread *** (1 Viewer)

I sent Joe an email about this, but why can't FBG make the subsciber contests open to ALL paid subscribers and not exclude those of us who live in states with stupid laws. It is entirely differrent if the contest is a benefit to a subscription versus an online contest with an entry fee (at least from what I have been told and the fact that other sites do not restrict us from winning prizes).
I know I should be happy that there are subscriber contests, but giving a TWO day notice for the playoff contest was wrong. I did not even get a chance to get a line up in for it.

In the Projections (both pre-season & in-season) a coloum with an up or down arrow would be very useful for players that have risen or fallen since the last set of rankings. I also agree with the idea of having multiple inputs on the projections. Dodds does a tremendous job but a larger knowledgable pool will end up being more accurate in the long run.

1. Get the weekly Cheatsheets posted earlier in the week (you can always make daily adjustments)...preferably by Wed AM.

2. Get the top 250 list posted earlier in the week....preferably by Tues mid-day.

3. When changes are made to the weekly cheatsheets note them on the sheet with up/down arrows for easy recognition.

gferrell20 said:
Also, a post analysis on VBD would be nice to see. Who should have been the best picks based on how they performed.
:coffee: I would love to see this.
Keys Maths did this last year, and I believe he's going to give it a shot again this year.Let him know you'd appreciate it.However - I will point out a flaw. It doesn't take into consideration players who get injured, so even if a player was projected as the 50th best player, he'd be 45th if 5 of the Top 50 got hurt. There are some interesting observations from this last season, and I'm curious if we see a pattern emerge this year.

gferrell20 said:
Also, a post analysis on VBD would be nice to see. Who should have been the best picks based on how they performed.
:own3d: I would love to see this.
Keys Maths did this last year, and I believe he's going to give it a shot again this year.Let him know you'd appreciate it.However - I will point out a flaw. It doesn't take into consideration players who get injured, so even if a player was projected as the 50th best player, he'd be 45th if 5 of the Top 50 got hurt. There are some interesting observations from this last season, and I'm curious if we see a pattern emerge this year.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.What observations did you notice? This will likely be the first time I look at one, and wouldn't mind knowing a little bit how last years went ...

Last edited by a moderator:
gferrell20 said:
:fishy: I would love to see this.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.What observations did you notice? This will likely be the first time I look at one, and wouldn't mind knowing a little bit how last years went ...
I'll wait for the spinoff thread rather than hijacking. PM me or report the thread and I'll comment there.

Reading some of these posts here is a suggestion.

Offer a service to draft and manage peoples teams for them. As it appears some people are incapable of making a football based decision on their own.

Reading some of these posts here is a suggestion.Offer a service to draft and manage peoples teams for them. As it appears some people are incapable of making a football based decision on their own.
In case you haven't noticed this is exactly what many people look to a fantasy football subscription service for. Laugh all you want but for a lot of people, good drafting (i.e. pre-season rankings) and managing (i.e. weekly cheetsheets, top 200 forward) advice is exactly (if not exclusively) what they are looking to get from a fantasy football service. Obviously, most succesful and/or hard core fantasy players (including myself) prefer to do their own research and make their own decisions, but I believe it would be a HUGE business mistake for a subscription site like FBG to cater exclusively to the "hard core" players and largely ignore the wants/needs of the more casual FFL participant who doesn't have the time and/or desire to do their due diligence themselves. I'm not suggesting FBGs currently does so, but rather that this is what I see a lot of the "hard-core" subscribers wishing for.Just my :yes:

Reading some of these posts here is a suggestion.Offer a service to draft and manage peoples teams for them. As it appears some people are incapable of making a football based decision on their own.
What are subscribers paying for if not someone elses opinion?

not a complaint...just a suggestion that may have been made somewhere along the way already:

you currently provide a list of WR and a list of TE, but how about adding a combination list of WR and TE?

I am in a league where we play both and they have equal value.

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR / TE

1 Flex RB / WR / TE

2 LB / DL

1 DB

1 K

Thanks for the consideration.

Most of us work at companies that restrict or review internet access. I would like to have the option to have more content emailed to me. Ideally, I could choose which regular articles I could receive in my email.

These probably aren't all realistic, but you asked for it.

1. I'm all for more dynasty content. I love the idea of a dynasty Draft Dominator (including an option for rookies only), but it seems like this could be difficult. A dynasty forum would be great as well, partially because I'm guessing that, like the IDP forum, it would be lower on the tool factor compared to the Shark Pool.

2. It will never be perfect, but the more you can customize the scoring system for Draft Dominator the better--there are a lot of wacky scoring systems out there and sometimes I have a hard time approximating them under the current constraints of the DD.

3. I like the ideas of adding some idea of a players basement and ceiling and/or a "gut" factor to some weekly rankings. I want Dodd's rankings to stay the same, but maybe that's where some of the other staff could provide some additional rankings that factor in who's a safe pick or who has a greater chance of a breakout.

4. I'd like to see content released earlier (e.g. Top 250 forward is always after several of my league's waiver deadlines), BUT not if it sacrifices quality.

5. Speaking of the Top 250 Forward, I like it, but it seems a little slow to reflect trends. To give an example from 2006, Marques Colston's value seemed to take forever to move up. I can understand not wanting to overreact to one or two weeks, but at some point it is probably a trend. In the week 9 content, he was still the 17th ranked WR (46th overall). At that point in the season that was insanely different from his perceived/actual value in my leagues (e.g. there was no way anyone was going to trade him for Wali Lundy, which the Top 250 was suggesting as a relatively fair trade as of week 9). He was already being valued/traded as a Top 10 WR. I would love to see an additional set of rankings that are more reflective of that perceived value from week to week.

6. I emailed Joe about this somewhere during the season, but IMHO the overall quality of information in the Shark Pool is declining. I'm worried that the quality contributers are posting less/leaving because there's so much worthless 'noise' in the SP. Anything that cuts down on the BS would be much appreciated.

That's (IMHO of course) a good idea. I created an Excel spreadsheet to track how "giving" each team in the league has been in fantasy points terms throughout the season, and though I've had to input the results each week to keep it current, it's been very useful to me in strategizing about which D I might want to pick up off of waivers for next week, or even the week after. Something along these lines should be fairly simple to code, and would provide useful info to subscribers.
If your league uses MFL then you can get a lot of this info. http://football34.myfantasyleague.com/2006...=62138&O=81

That is a link to the report on FanEx. This report can be sorted by Fantasy Points Allowed by POS or by Total Fantasy Points Allowed and it can be run on a range of games or just one week if that is what you want. I tend to look at it in 3-5 game increments. This is a great tool.

happy with the site but here are my suggestions:

1-get rid of the contest and spend the money on the site or staff.

2-most articles come out to late in the day on which they are scheduled. to say an article is going to come out on tuesday and it comes out after 11 PM is a joke and useless for that day.

3-need more keeper/dynasty info.

4-someone else posted it but we need a subscribers only forum. personally i never understood why we pay for a site and its open to everyone-i think all of the forums should be subscriber only. i know you want to get more subscribers but why are we paying for that?

5-xmas week disappointment. i know it was the holidays but you are running a buisness and to have the info available so late was very disappointing and discouraging. we pay for this info and we expect it.

happy with the site but here are my suggestions:1-get rid of the contest and spend the money on the site or staff. 2-most articles come out to late in the day on which they are scheduled. to say an article is going to come out on tuesday and it comes out after 11 PM is a joke and useless for that day. 3-need more keeper/dynasty info.4-someone else posted it but we need a subscribers only forum. personally i never understood why we pay for a site and its open to everyone-i think all the forum should be subscriber only. i know you want to get more subscribers but why are we paying for that?5-xmas week disappointment. i know it was the holidays but you are running a buisness and to have the info available so late was very disappointing and discouraging. we pay for this info and we expect it.
:banned: Every one of these is spot on.

I'll start by saying I strongly believe FBG is the best fantasy football site out there right now....I'd like to provide some suggestions on how you can keep ahead of the competition and make the site that much more valuable to all of us.

Areas I make most use of...

1. Waiver Wire articles

2. Frequent Emails

3. Custom Cheatsheets

4. Fantasy roundtable

5. Trades buy low / sell high (would love to see it on Tuesday)

Additions I'd like to see....

1. MyTeam Features - great idea, but I didn't end up using it much, as it required too much work.

a. Automatic Sync between League management sites (myfantasyleague) and MyTeam players

b. MyTeam support for multiple teams (I'd venture the guess the average Footballguys subscriber > 2 leagues)

c. MyTeam Players highlight major news, injury status

d. Custom Emails specific to my players on MyTeam

e. support for up to 18 players on each team (and at least 3 teams)

f. Easily view if there's new news on the player (# of stories), and injury status

g. RSS feed with information only for players in MyTeam

2. Sunday Updates (great feature, can be tweaked to improve it)

a. It only has the morning games info, not afternoon games...update throughout Sunday or call it Sunday early game updates

b. Create a consolidated list at top of page for every major player Active/Inactive so I don't have to scroll through the entire list

3. Dominator Applications

a. Trade Dominator and Line-up Dominator sync with league management sites (i.e. myfantasyleague) (import/export)

b. Draft dominator auction feature didn't properly take into account max budget for entire league ($1 for everyone), not reflective of likely outcome. Options to skew $ to top 25 players

c. Someone else posted "I'd like to see all the dominators in one program. After all it's pretty much all the same data being used. why not the same program." - I agree.

4. Compare weekly Projections vs. Actual Results every week on Mondays - give us an understanding of expected accuracy. "Grade your projections. You guys should be willing to post how you did. Saying that you only have to look forward is lame. Develop a simple program that evaluates each projection and spits out a score. I think you'll find that you have tools to answer your critics or to improve your own performance."

5. Score your analysts on their fantasy draft predictions - Post the scoring of last years projections vs. actual for draft by analyst....see who's good at what positions. "Grade your projections. You guys should be willing to post how you did. Saying that you only have to look forward is lame. Develop a simple program that evaluates each projection and spits out a score. I think you'll find that you have tools to answer your critics or to improve your own performance."

6. Waiver wire - post major injuries to players in one list at the top and who their backup is (who will benefit)

7. Consolidated Injury page for the week with only players from top 250 forward

8. Weather report analysis - It would be nice to have a difinitive analysis of typical adjustments/affects of wind, rain, snow, etc. by position QB, RB, WR, TE, PK, DT or even better specific players. Too much speculation on msg boards on how this will affect players.

9. Create RSS Feeds (for MyYahoo, others) - allow us to subscribe to specific feeds (dynasty, no dynasty, IDP, etc.)

10. Compute Alpha (risk adjusted return) for each player http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_(investment) How much better is Marvin Harrison vs. the average WR?

11. Compute Beta (volatility) for each player http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_coefficient Which players are the most volitile in their performance week to week?

12. Graphs and charts for key stastics....Fantasy points, yards, receptions (projected and actual) to make the information easier to consume. Similar to Alpha and Beta getting the information in a usable form.

13. Player name consistency - "I'd like to see more consistency in which names are used. If you call him Cadillac in the Top 250 Forward, don't call him Carnell in the Cheatsheets. This would be a big help to those of us who plug the info into spreadsheets." Arguably he should have been called "Pinto" this season.

14. Customizing scoring for Top 250 Forward - "I think this is mentioned above, but I'll second it ... Include an option for customizing Top 250 Forward to league settings similar to Custom Cheatsheets."

15. Site organization - separate out Dynasty, IDP, draft (auction vs. serpentine) etc into their own pages so it doesn't clutter up the website

16. Create separate Forums for Dynasty and IDP

17. Consolidate the best of the rules from the pinned thread on "Rules every league should consider having, or, "How To Avoid Problems" and build up a template rules for everyone to use as a baseline..downloadable Microsoft Word document.

Some message boards have a feature that lets you see the first few sentences of the post when you drag your cursor over the title. I think this is a feature FBG's should add. Other than that, no complaints. I would however like to see a new smiley roughly once a month. New Smiley Day :shrug: Also, one for each of the 32 NFL teams.

The Steelers have their own :unsure:

the Redskins have theirs :lmao:

I claimed this one for TB :lmao:

I think it's an incredible injustice to the other 28 NFL cities that they can't visually represent their team with a smiley :goodposting:

Some message boards have a feature that lets you see the first few sentences of the post when you drag your cursor over the title. I think this is a feature FBG's should add. Other than that, no complaints. I would however like to see a new smiley roughly once a month. New Smiley Day :excited: Also, one for each of the 32 NFL teams. The Steelers have their own :towelwave: the Redskins have theirs :porked: I claimed this one for TB :pirate: I think it's an incredible injustice to the other 28 NFL cities that they can't visually represent their team with a smiley :popcorn:
That's not a bad idea. On behalf of :wall: Bengal fans everywhere, I'll go ahead and claim... :mellow: :banned: :suds: :drive: :porked: :penalty: :lmao:

Some message boards have a feature that lets you see the first few sentences of the post when you drag your cursor over the title. I think this is a feature FBG's should add. Other than that, no complaints. I would however like to see a new smiley roughly once a month. New Smiley Day :excited: Also, one for each of the 32 NFL teams. The Steelers have their own :towelwave: the Redskins have theirs :porked: I claimed this one for TB :pirate: I think it's an incredible injustice to the other 28 NFL cities that they can't visually represent their team with a smiley :thumbdown:
That's not a bad idea. On behalf of :wall: Bengal fans everywhere, I'll go ahead and claim... :mellow: :banned: :suds: :drive: :porked: :penalty: ;)
Considering the trouble they have been in, I am surprised you didn't go with :bag:

Some message boards have a feature that lets you see the first few sentences of the post when you drag your cursor over the title. I think this is a feature FBG's should add. Other than that, no complaints. I would however like to see a new smiley roughly once a month. New Smiley Day :excited: Also, one for each of the 32 NFL teams. The Steelers have their own :towelwave: the Redskins have theirs :porked: I claimed this one for TB :pirate: I think it's an incredible injustice to the other 28 NFL cities that they can't visually represent their team with a smiley :lmao:
: topcat : :topcat:

:hot: I would love to see this.
Couldn't someone just take the YTD stats from the final week and put them as a DD file? Seems like someone could do this. I know KeyMaths did this last year but FBG doesn't pay him to do it. I found it very interesting. I would like to see more analysis after the season is over...article on lessons learned, busts, booms...could we see it coming, etc.I still would like to see a palm version of DD. Palms and Pocket PC's have much more memory and capabilities than they used to.

:banned: I would love to see this.
Couldn't someone just take the YTD stats from the final week and put them as a DD file? Seems like someone could do this. I know KeyMaths did this last year but FBG doesn't pay him to do it. I found it very interesting. I would like to see more analysis after the season is over...article on lessons learned, busts, booms...could we see it coming, etc.

I still would like to see a palm version of DD. Palms and Pocket PC's have much more memory and capabilities than they used to.
Ask and ye shall receive:Link

VBD is a top notch application that uses some sound statistical concepts to generate draft values. Methodolgy is explained and is sound. On the other hand, the process for generating auction values is murky and is not explained anywhere on the site. See Forrest Johnson's Freelance submission titled "Correcting Auction Calculations in the VBD Application" dated 8/30/06 for some of the problems with your current system. Mr. Johnson's method is sound and is the method I've used since first seeing this technique introduced by Professor Thomas Griffith in his "Fantasy Basketball Guide" published by Brio Books in 1993. Please fix the application or provide a detailed explanation of your current VBD auction methodology so that informed readers may critique your methods and make an informed decision as to the merits of your system. Thank you.
Where is this article?

VBD is a top notch application that uses some sound statistical concepts to generate draft values. Methodolgy is explained and is sound. On the other hand, the process for generating auction values is murky and is not explained anywhere on the site. See Forrest Johnson's Freelance submission titled "Correcting Auction Calculations in the VBD Application" dated 8/30/06 for some of the problems with your current system. Mr. Johnson's method is sound and is the method I've used since first seeing this technique introduced by Professor Thomas Griffith in his "Fantasy Basketball Guide" published by Brio Books in 1993.

Please fix the application or provide a detailed explanation of your current VBD auction methodology so that informed readers may critique your methods and make an informed decision as to the merits of your system. Thank you.
Where is this article?
Freelance

A lot seem to complain about the forum, I do think some stuff is dumb, but you guys have nothing really to do with that. If you don't like the game threads don't follow the thread. How can we expect these guys to spend all their time on the message boards, there is soo much more to this site than that. In saying that, I also think a subscriber only board would be fantastic. It is a great source for info and a lot get free info from there.

1 suggestion is to get content sooner to the subscriber. If is says Wed. get it out first thing wed. morning, not wed. night. That is my only suggestion.

As a long time customer I love what you guys do, and I also like how you get better every year!

Been away for a while. I came back today to check the late breaking news in the Shark Pool. My one and only complaint is the way that quality posters have been targeted and disrespected in the FFA. When I was last on the sight you had a thread that mocked Wheelhouse and later insulted MoP. Two posters who have provided great insight and information regarding fantasy football. In the thread I was surprised that a group of people have created a sight to attack posters from this sight. I am amazed that an administrator from here appears to be playing a role in the bashing. Football guys has been a great source of information the past couple of seasons. My hope is that you can remove these actions from the FFA. I realize that the "Free For All" is just that but I believe that personal attacks should be off limits. Football info is what is bringing subscribers to the FBG, let's don't run them off once they get here!

Been away for a while. I came back today to check the late breaking news in the Shark Pool. My one and only complaint is the way that quality posters have been targeted and disrespected in the FFA. When I was last on the sight you had a thread that mocked Wheelhouse and later insulted MoP. Two posters who have provided great insight and information regarding fantasy football. In the thread I was surprised that a group of people have created a sight to attack posters from this sight. I am amazed that an administrator from here appears to be playing a role in the bashing. Football guys has been a great source of information the past couple of seasons. My hope is that you can remove these actions from the FFA. I realize that the "Free For All" is just that but I believe that personal attacks should be off limits. Football info is what is bringing subscribers to the FBG, let's don't run them off once they get here!
It would be a great help to me if you could use the report button when you see these things happen. I see only a small percent of posts. We don't endorse anyone being "bashed", but we can't do anything about it unless we see it. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

It would be a great help to me if you could use the report button when you see these things happen. I see only a small percent of posts. We don't endorse anyone being "bashed", but we can't do anything about it unless we see it. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
Not to beat a dead horse, but there was an administrator participating in the thread.FBG is a great site. I am simply adding my opinion to a thread that asked for ways to improve an already quality source for ff information.

Finless said:
Sea Bass said:
Shick! said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but there was an administrator participating in the thread.FBG is a great site. I am simply adding my opinion to a thread that asked for ways to improve an already quality source for ff information.
It's a cryin shame when these things happen.
:shrug: Too many hacks running around looking to divert threads or looking to win some sort of pathetic internet messageboard popularity contest.

May I suggest a handicapper that can pick some winners at over 55%.

If you had one, the potential for profit would increase greatly once the word got out.

Another suggestion. Tracking free agent movement by position, by team, by team need, by salary cap. Who lost key players? Who gained key players.

Veteran Free agents often make a bigger difference to a team's performance next year than any rookie in the draft, yet there is so many threads on the draft....which usually translates into team performance in 2-3 years if not longer.

See this forum topic for details

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=308009

A differentiator between average and excellent Football sites is the site doing the analysis and accumulation of statistics for the users, so we don't have to read every blogger article to see what's going on. This is ideal material for the FootballGuys

Finless said:
It's a cryin shame when these things happen.
:bowtie: Too many hacks running around looking to divert threads or looking to win some sort of pathetic internet messageboard popularity contest.
Meanwhile, we have 145 posts in the Joey Porter thread before it is locked. Doesn't sound like Shark Pool information to me. If bashing, baiting and attacking is going to be condoned in the Shark Pool where can we go for quality football opinions. I hope that this place is cleaned up before the 2007-2008 season begins.

I'd like to see more options for scoring in the lineup dominator. Either that or make it so its compatible to enter manually as many of us are in leagues of various scoring yardages. Also to add QB's to the flex position.

1. Could we have some more info and overall player rankings for two qb leagues. The usual strategy of later round drafting does not apply in 2 qb leagues. the draft dominator changes ranking very little when 2 qb listing is inserted.

2. Could we eliminate or archive old age posts. Example: In December I want info and opinion on player X for the last weeks of the season. I open thread on Player X and get info and opinion on him from last year and preseason July. then one post from December. Waste of time.

I'd like to see DD and a first set of projections out within a day or two after the draft. Drafting in May has become far more popular.

Can't have one without the other. Any and all feedback appreciated. We're interested in improving.
If you could add an option to hide all the "smileys" (eg when typing a reply) that would be great for those of us who experience, um, slightly decreased workloads at work sometimes (not to mention all the gubmint workers).

2. Could we eliminate or archive old age posts. Example: In December I want info and opinion on player X for the last weeks of the season. I open thread on Player X and get info and opinion on him from last year and preseason July. then one post from December. Waste of time.
wouldn't be an issue if you paid attention to the dates on the posts, and/or sorted all threads by date (newest first).Disagree w/this. Sometimes even somewhat dated opinion/info can be worth a glance.

Users who are viewing this thread