What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG loses its Tremendous Upside: RIP friend (1 Viewer)

So sad reading through this. RIP. I am sorry for your loss Koya, DD, Zilla, and for his family and other friends.

So Sean and I took a lot of cabs together, more than I think Ive ever taken with any one person Ive known.

So it was me, Kraft, Zilla and TU in a cab after a long night of drinking with TRE, Red Raiders, Scorchy and Im probably forgetting a few.

So we had rented a house near Camden Yards for our fantasy baseball draft and we were headed there. We had some African cab driver, just like we always did, and I was busy chatting him up about my trips to Africa and women (seem to remember that guy being from Ethiopia FWIW). So we are laughing and carrying on and Im in the front.

So before we arrive at the house we all agree that its my turn to pay for the cab, plus I was in the front. So we stop, I pay him, and IIRC Zilla even gives the guy an extra $5 tip because he didnt get us lost. So we head for the door of the house and are opening it, and the cab driver burns rubber and takes off like 0-50 down the block! Were like WTF? So Sean is last in and we ask him what had happened

Us: Hey what was the deal with the cab driver?

Sean: Oh he was cool man, I gave him a big tip.

Us: Yeah DD and Zilla both already gave him a tip.

Sean: Oh, well I didnt know that. I just gave the guy two twenties and said good to go (Ride cost $25 or so)

Us: You gave him a $40 tip????????

Sean: No, I paid for the cab and gave him a $15 tip.

Us: No wonder that ####er hit the gas and left so quick

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

So Sean and I took a lot of cabs together, more than I think Ive ever taken with any one person Ive known.

So it was me, Kraft, Zilla and TU in a cab after a long night of drinking with TRE, Red Raiders, Scorchy and Im probably forgetting a few.

So we had rented a house near Camden Yards for our fantasy baseball draft and we were headed there. We had some African cab driver, just like we always did, and I was busy chatting him up about my trips to Africa and women (seem to remember that guy being from Ethiopia FWIW). So we are laughing and carrying on and Im in the front.

So before we arrive at the house we all agree that its my turn to pay for the cab, plus I was in the front. So we stop, I pay him, and IIRC Zilla even gives the guy an extra $5 tip because he didnt get us lost. So we head for the door of the house and are opening it, and the cab driver burns rubber and takes off like 0-50 down the block! Were like WTF? So Sean is last in and we ask him what had happened

Sean: Oh, well I didnt know that. I just gave the guy two twenties and said good to go (Ride cost $25 or so)

NEVER HAPPENED

Unreal. :(

Great poster here and always seemed like a solid dude.

Man... 37... way too ####### young. RIP

Last edited by a moderator:

NEVER HAPPENED
The next year we got really lost out in the suburbs and Sean was giving the cab driver directions off his phone. Cabby barely spoke English, and Sean never have driven, couldn't be trusted with directions. Took us like two hours to travel 15 miles. This stuff was always happening. I always thought that this all was his personal shtick, hilarious.

Wow, time flies. Was the week before x-mas that we last hung out. He was all psyched for two SATURDAY NFL games and then again on Sunday. Or as he put it "A Hannukah Miracle"

I never met Sean but he had the The Dude as his avatar so I know we would have been friends. Going at 37 is just not right.

I only knew TU from these boards but he seemed like a great guy.

Koya and those who knew him better I'm sorry for your loss.

RIP TU, you will be missed.

Awful news. Played in a ton of leagues with TU and couldn't come up with a bad thing to say about him if I tried. Always fun to compete against and easy to get along with.

RIP, and condolences to those who knew him well.

TU and I were both huge Pearl Jam fans, and he was an active participant in the Pearl Jam thread. In 2007, Pearl Jam was scheduled to play Lollapolloza in Chicago on a Saturday night. He had already made arrangements to go to the show, I wasn't planning on it. A week before that the band announced a fan club only show for 1300 fans at the cozy Vic Theatre in Chicago the Thursday before. For a band that does a lot for it's fans, this was the first time they've done anything of the sort. A fan club only show in a small setting, was the holy grail for pearl jam fans. The show was announced on a Tuesday, and tickets were going to go on sale that Thursday.

Pearl Jam's online ticket system is a running joke, but TU always said that if he had one skill in life it was getting lucky with tickets online. We made a pact via PM (had never met at the time) that if I got tickets, he could come with me and vice versa.

Low and behold, he got tickets and I nervously made plans to book flights/hotels to go to a concert with a guy I met on the internet. Just to type of thing that you want to explain to your friends and family.

Long story short, the show was the best concert I've ever been to and the first of a bunch of PJ shows that I went with to Sean over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
man this sucks...i remember always wanting to meet up with koya and tu on a couple of occasions, now thats times passed. RIP

As I mentioned before, Sean went to the hospital Thursday where they sedated him, and he never woke up. That said, he was not in a coma as I understand it, and while he was hooked up to too many machines, the Docs said that it's possible he was at least minimally aware of the surroundings.

I wouldn't make much of this, except for the fact that he lay there Thursday-Sun - we (his friends) only found out Sunday and literally within 90 minutes we were there... from Long Island, New Jersey and Westchester (which says something in and of itself. I was hosting a super bowl party and called it off literally minutes before people started to arrive, and everyone else had their SB plans too. But when we heard, we ran to Sean).

From a selfish perspective, I am so appreciative to have had the chance to say goodbye, even though that was not the point. The point was to let Sean know he was loved and his friends were there for him. We were allowed only 2 to the room at a time, but took turns.

I just wonder if he was, somehow, holding on. To hear not just the scared voices of his family, but those he chose to be with as friends, which brings me to that earlier post - because friends are those you CHOOSE to love.

Anyway, it reminded me in a way of my first brush with death. The dog I grew up with was ill and it was down to final days, or hours... my mother grabbed me while I was at my little league baseball game and said that if I wanted to say goodbye, I may need to go immediately.

And it was almost as if the dog that my parents bought 6 months prior to my birth, my friend and protector, waited for me. Within minutes of me returning home to comfort him as a scared 12 year old (he was a great Pyrenees, so 12-13 years on this planet is a good run) he passed. Peacefully. Maybe it's just self comfort, but we all felt, and still do, that Daphenes waited until I returned home for one last goodbye before letting go.

The doctors were surprised Sean survived as long as he did. They doubted he'd make it through one night, but here he made it from Thurs-Sun, when his friends found out and showed up. Gave him the love and support he had given us, so many times.

To know that barely 12 hours later he left us makes you wonder if he wanted or needed that final goodbye. I don't know. I'm about to lose it (again) on a ###### airplane just thinking about it, but it makes so much sense. It was time, for whatever reason, too early as it may have been, for him to go.

Thank god we at least all had a chance to see him, comfort him, be there for him. In a way, he wanted to be there for us, too. One last time.

man this sucks...i remember always wanting to meet up with koya and tu on a couple of occasions, now thats times passed. RIP
Then let's do it in his name. I've already posted in the NY thread. Too many good people on this board. Hell, my best friend, Sean, was from this board. Can't put things off when you have a chance to meet good people.

Good people don't stay nearly long enough. I guess that's why we are still here. ;-)

Koya said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Smack Tripper said:
Am I reading right that he hadn't posted since August?
Yeah, I had actually checked that just this past week. He hasn't posted on Facebook since July, he had gone off the grid. We used to text all the time, at least when sports stuff was bubbling. Haven't talked to him in probably a year, I got updates from Koya on him.Just thought it was a phase, and that we'd eventually put the band back together. That makes this even tougher for some of us here that knew him.
I hadnt noticed. He'd been going through a lot, personally. A group of us were really concerned about a year, year and a half ago when something similar happened but he seemed to be on better ground. New job, better outlook.

I hadn't seen him over the fall nearly as much as usual... but that's the ebb and flow of life, and friendship. The last couple of months were very tough I know, and he sorta retreated into solitude when not helping his fam. Never wanted to burden anyone, but it was never a burden.

In fact, we had been talking about whether an "intervention" or something to help him get out of the rut was needed. I guess that while I was not his closest or longest friend, he and I probably kept in touch the most (limited as it may have been, texts and all mostly) over the past few months. We always had a connection - as DD noted, guy was so smart, and such depth of personality.

Ironically, he and my wife probably talked more than any of he and his guy friends over the last couple of months. Sean would often come over and stay for the night or the weekend and I know many an evening when Koya got plastered and passed out, they would have deep philosophical conversations into the night.

He always made my wife smile. She doesn't really confide in anyone, but he made her comfortable. She loved him, too. How could you not? My only friend who really became a friend of my wife in a way, as well. He just brought us so much joy. You'll see that when I post the pics.

I think it was only a few weeks back that we had our last weekend hang out. I don't remember which but think the NFL playoffs were going. We got pretty plastered... and Sean was a pretty big dude (part of the health issues) and a couple days later I realized he BROKE out ####### futon bed! He must have literally passed out hard. I remember hearing ruckus in the middle of the night - sunday night so I was going to take him to the train in the AM. Then I heard a CRASH. A few min later I heard a BOOM.

I think the boom was the bed breaking. Or maybe it was the fist sized hole in the wall (at like chin level, so weird) that he somehow made.

Now, Sean was always a pretty heavy drinker. Never "had" to have it in public, but I know he was drinking a bit too much while being a bit recluse. And he would pass out where a train couldn't wake him up. My wife always was like... is he ok, is he alive?

And I was always like, yeah of course, it's just Sean.

But that last time something was amiss. And my wife and I knew something was up, as did the rest of our friends. But again, he was so focused on his mother, so not wanting to burden.

Just, great, people. The best.
#######it I was trying not to weep

As I mentioned before, Sean went to the hospital Thursday where they sedated him, and he never woke up. That said, he was not in a coma as I understand it, and while he was hooked up to too many machines, the Docs said that it's possible he was at least minimally aware of the surroundings.

I wouldn't make much of this, except for the fact that he lay there Thursday-Sun - we (his friends) only found out Sunday and literally within 90 minutes we were there... from Long Island, New Jersey and Westchester (which says something in and of itself. I was hosting a super bowl party and called it off literally minutes before people started to arrive, and everyone else had their SB plans too. But when we heard, we ran to Sean).

From a selfish perspective, I am so appreciative to have had the chance to say goodbye, even though that was not the point. The point was to let Sean know he was loved and his friends were there for him. We were allowed only 2 to the room at a time, but took turns.

I just wonder if he was, somehow, holding on. To hear not just the scared voices of his family, but those he chose to be with as friends, which brings me to that earlier post - because friends are those you CHOOSE to love.

Anyway, it reminded me in a way of my first brush with death. The dog I grew up with was ill and it was down to final days, or hours... my mother grabbed me while I was at my little league baseball game and said that if I wanted to say goodbye, I may need to go immediately.

And it was almost as if the dog that my parents bought 6 months prior to my birth, my friend and protector, waited for me. Within minutes of me returning home to comfort him as a scared 12 year old (he was a great Pyrenees, so 12-13 years on this planet is a good run) he passed. Peacefully. Maybe it's just self comfort, but we all felt, and still do, that Daphenes waited until I returned home for one last goodbye before letting go.

The doctors were surprised Sean survived as long as he did. They doubted he'd make it through one night, but here he made it from Thurs-Sun, when his friends found out and showed up. Gave him the love and support he had given us, so many times.

To know that barely 12 hours later he left us makes you wonder if he wanted or needed that final goodbye. I don't know. I'm about to lose it (again) on a ###### airplane just thinking about it, but it makes so much sense. It was time, for whatever reason, too early as it may have been, for him to go.

Thank god we at least all had a chance to see him, comfort him, be there for him. In a way, he wanted to be there for us, too. One last time.
Man this really got me

Koya said:
Doctor Detroit said:
Smack Tripper said:
Am I reading right that he hadn't posted since August?
Yeah, I had actually checked that just this past week. He hasn't posted on Facebook since July, he had gone off the grid. We used to text all the time, at least when sports stuff was bubbling. Haven't talked to him in probably a year, I got updates from Koya on him.Just thought it was a phase, and that we'd eventually put the band back together. That makes this even tougher for some of us here that knew him.
I hadnt noticed. He'd been going through a lot, personally. A group of us were really concerned about a year, year and a half ago when something similar happened but he seemed to be on better ground. New job, better outlook.

I hadn't seen him over the fall nearly as much as usual... but that's the ebb and flow of life, and friendship. The last couple of months were very tough I know, and he sorta retreated into solitude when not helping his fam. Never wanted to burden anyone, but it was never a burden.

In fact, we had been talking about whether an "intervention" or something to help him get out of the rut was needed. I guess that while I was not his closest or longest friend, he and I probably kept in touch the most (limited as it may have been, texts and all mostly) over the past few months. We always had a connection - as DD noted, guy was so smart, and such depth of personality.

Ironically, he and my wife probably talked more than any of he and his guy friends over the last couple of months. Sean would often come over and stay for the night or the weekend and I know many an evening when Koya got plastered and passed out, they would have deep philosophical conversations into the night.

He always made my wife smile. She doesn't really confide in anyone, but he made her comfortable. She loved him, too. How could you not? My only friend who really became a friend of my wife in a way, as well. He just brought us so much joy. You'll see that when I post the pics.

I think it was only a few weeks back that we had our last weekend hang out. I don't remember which but think the NFL playoffs were going. We got pretty plastered... and Sean was a pretty big dude (part of the health issues) and a couple days later I realized he BROKE out ####### futon bed! He must have literally passed out hard. I remember hearing ruckus in the middle of the night - sunday night so I was going to take him to the train in the AM. Then I heard a CRASH. A few min later I heard a BOOM.

I think the boom was the bed breaking. Or maybe it was the fist sized hole in the wall (at like chin level, so weird) that he somehow made.

Now, Sean was always a pretty heavy drinker. Never "had" to have it in public, but I know he was drinking a bit too much while being a bit recluse. And he would pass out where a train couldn't wake him up. My wife always was like... is he ok, is he alive?

And I was always like, yeah of course, it's just Sean.

But that last time something was amiss. And my wife and I knew something was up, as did the rest of our friends. But again, he was so focused on his mother, so not wanting to burden.

Just, great, people. The best.
#######it I was trying not to weep
#### it indeed. This poor lady in the seat next to me must think I'm some emotional whack job.

THANK YOU all for your respects and your words. Even from a selfish perspective it's helping me through one of, if not the, hardest day of my life.

And actually, there's no doubt there. It is.

Then let's do it in his name. I've already posted in the NY thread. Too many good people on this board. Hell, my best friend, Sean, was from this board. Can't put things off when you have a chance to meet good people.

Good people don't stay nearly long enough. I guess that's why we are still here. ;-)
Yankee game cornhole this summer, suggested over on uber board. Lets make it happen :bowtie:

Yankee game cornhole this summer, suggested over on uber board. Lets make it happen :bowtie:
I am in. If anyone needs a place to crash let me know. Heck, let's make it a Yankee and Mets NY extravaganza... Sean and I went to a couple games at Citifield... not until relatively recently though. He had never been before, though he lived pretty damn close.

Regardless, Yanks for sure and some ###### revelry. I'll bring some of our crew along.

I am in. If anyone needs a place to crash let me know. Heck, let's make it a Yankee and Mets NY extravaganza... Sean and I went to a couple games at Citifield... not until relatively recently though. He had never been before, though he lived pretty damn close.

Regardless, Yanks for sure and some ###### revelry. I'll bring some of our crew along.
PS - I need to get with Uber board. (I assume that's :e: ? ) Hit it up a couple times but never took hold. I feel it's my duty to carry on though.

PS - I need to get with Uber board. (I assume that's :e: ? ) Hit it up a couple times but never took hold. I feel it's my duty to carry on though.
Uber is Ubermegadynastytitty, the 4 sport dynasty league board we have been running for 8(?) years. Let me know if you want access.

That was beautful and very moving.

Uber is Ubermegadynastytitty, the 4 sport dynasty league board we have been running for 8(?) years. Let me know if you want access.
Oh ####, thats right! I remember the inception of that monster.

Sean have a team? I'd be more than happy to sheppard it through but would need someone who knows #### outside of football and a little baseball.

In fact, I think I was part owner one year. I had Jamaal Charles on my team while he was at Texas. And I had like three QBs from North Texas.

Here's a pic I'll share with you all.. luckily charvik was able to find these, I was a little nervous they were lost

I was lucky to be able to go on a handful of drinking adventures with Tup and a lot of other great folks.. Here we were with Dr D at Lake Superior.. We were there for TRE's wedding. He loved this Cespedes jersey. Get your tissues maybe :unsure:

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10445520_10203466370281051_2989691109258197074_n.jpg?oh=5d26a51438fc765342f69c6a403c7080&oe=554A7619

Ubermega is still around??? Man that's actually really cool to hear.
yep

boards aren't as active as they used to be and there's been some turnover, but it's still going. TU was pretty much running his team by himself for awhile, but eventually gave it up as he took a step back from i-life.

Ubermega is still around??? Man that's actually really cool to hear.
yepboards aren't as active as they used to be and there's been some turnover, but it's still going. TU was pretty much running his team by himself for awhile, but eventually gave it up as he took a step back from i-life.
That's really cool. :thumbup: There were a few times I remember us thinking it wouldn't last.

Chemical X just told me. Damn. Sean was a good guy. Played with him in a league with X for several years. 37 is way too young. My sincere condolences to his friends and family. So sad.

I had some limited dealings with TUp over at Uber and always felt he was a class act. Reading through this thread only confirms it.

Thank you for all those posting Sean anecdotes so those of us who only knew him on the surface could get to know him a bit better.

And Koya... thanks for speaking so eloquently about a close friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you as well.

RIP, Sean.

I don't have anything new to add, but whenever I was in chat and TUP was there it always brightened my day a bit more. He was a really good dude, and life is unfair.

Users who are viewing this thread