What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Fantasy Hockey 2016-2017 (1 Viewer)

I like my team if Crosby plays before Thanksgiving.  Exactly the kind of team I wanted to draft, so I have no one to blame but myself if this ends badly. 

Best picks: Huberdunks at 146 and getting the Pens goalies

Worst picks: Even drafting Antoine Vermette :bag: and then Drouin at 118 was probably a little early

Biggest snipe:  Would have been great had Benn slipped one more spot, and wanted Quick in round two.  Felt like I got sniped a ton tonight, even in the later rounds. 

When I drafted Martin he was LW/RW, now he is only LW.    What is the deal, it seems they hard lined the position designations this year.   A lot more flexible in the past.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
When I drafted Martin he was LW/RW, now he is only LW.    What is the deal, it seems they hard lined the position designations this year.   A lot more flexible in the past.
Yea I noticed that too.  Seems like there used to be a lot of players that were LW/RW or even C/LW/RW and now there are very few.

yahoo will update those position designations throughout the season. they always seem to start out this way with way too many guys at C.

the only snipes that bugged me were Johansen and Klingberg going back to back before my pick in the 5th/6th.  thought I was going to get at least one maybe both then nothing. 

also that Rud took my Nik Backstrom legacy pick from me.  wtf

I decided to get a scorer in round 1, then go for 2 top goalers, then grab a pile of similar guys that can get between 45-60 points, but contribute in all cats.  maybe win goaler cats and be decent in offence.  after the first 3 rounds I figured the top point getters would be gone, so no surprise there for me.  in this, with 14 teams, gotta grab some projectable guys and hope some off year guys come back.  galchenyuk, jenner, van riemsdyk, rick nash, trocheck and reilly smith will be the guys that make or break me.  last year my D was brutal, so I feel good about doughty, dougie, vatanen, ceci (stone when helfy).  I tried not to focus too much on random plus/minus, who knows what happens.  late fliers on nugent-hopkins, jt miller and elias lindholm.  raanta should get 25 games to fill in for my Schneider/Crawford combo. 

I quit focusing around the 7th round or so on my cheat sheet.  Just didn't have the patience to keep flipping to the 4 or 5th page of it during 3rd round plus.

Power Rankings:

1. Northern Voice - My projections, I should end up at the top or I really ####ed up the draft. This team should be strong across the board. I waited too long on Neuvirth as insurance for Mason - thanks @Aaron Rudnicki (on the flip side of this, I think Pickard ends up the starter in COL by season't end). Could pretty easily have 8 60 point players (Johansen, Eichel, Matthews, Hall, Schenn, Radulov, Ryan, Subban) with guys like Kane/Perron/Hartnell filling in the hits and PIMs cats and still being in the 40-50 point range. And also the best goalie in the league. ***If Eichel's injury is serious, I fall at least to #2, maybe/likely farther.

2. Brasky's Brawlers - Solid team across the board, no real weaknesses here at all. Price and Holtby are far and away the top fantasy goalies, I have Holtby, Brasky has Price, just having those guys locked in early gives a big leg up. This team may even be better than it shows in my rankings, I used Loui Erikkson at LW and Marner at UT for these projections, so the sooner Jaden Schwartz gets back, the stronger this team is. I'm very high on Hellebuyck as well, thought I could wait a bit longer on him (that said Hutchinson is actually getting game 1).

3. 12 Parsec Kessel Run - Another team that is strong across the board in every category. Crawford/Schneider gives strength in net, nice mix of offense and physical players, really not much to criticize here.

4. Getz Ducks - Not quite as strong in net as the three teams above - need Gibson and Andersen to have strong seasons to push into the top 3 positions. Tons of shooters here, led by Ovechkin. Should be near the top in goals, PPP, shots, etc... but likely near the bottom in assists, which will also push points towards the middle of the pack. Definite contender but you can see potential weaknesses.

5. Fargin Iceholes - Jones and Dubnyk in net should do well in the counting categories, not quite as sure about GAA/SV%. Similar to Getz Ducks, will be stronger in the shooting/scoring categories, with the overall offense being more towards the middle of the pack. Gudas really needs to carry the load in hits and PIM's, not a ton of other guys there (Rakell signing would help).

6. Buffalo Lightsabres - This team strikes me as middle of the pack almost across the board but very likely last in penalty minutes. There's upside here in Bennett, Fabbri, Klefbom, Jones, Zibanejad etc... but not enough to push to the top of the standings.

7. Wheat Kings - I like Bishop in net but I'm not a big Varlamov fan. With the expansion draft looming, it's possible both are on different teams at the end of the season, so that's a major wild card here. I think the goaltending will be in the mid range overall. This is a tough team to judge because the best point production guys here are mostly pass first guys, but there are shooters in the depth (Purcell, Stempniak, Gallagher), I think it finishes near the top in assists but low in goals/shots, etc.. mixing and matching heavily with the forwards could push that but will be a lot of work.

8. Don Sweeney's Assistant - If this team doesn't lead the league in hits and penalties, something went seriously wrong. Should be strong in the shooting (G, SOG, PPP) categories as well, but a bit below average in assists and points. On offensive categories, this team ranks higher than 8th but the goaltending will prevent it from climbing much higher. Halak is a borderline #1 fantasy goalie at most and Smith is a ratio killer. Strong contender for last in GAA and SV%.

9. RnR - Right wing here is a big problem. Only three were drafted and two (Komorov, Wilson) aren't going to see any power play time. As a result, goals and powerplay points are likely going to be low. Lundqvist/Luongo combo in net is decent but both have some downside at this point. It should be a team that hits and gets penalty minutes no problem and some nice assist totals as well. Upgrading those wingers would help with the offense but hurt in hits/PIMs, so it's not an easy fix.

10. Game Time Decisions - The Rask/Allen combination in net will be near the top of the league in all 4 categories. That's good, because this is probably the lowest scoring team in the league. Guys like Hanzal, Vanek, Doan, Sharp, Parise, Markov, Green, Vrbata, Streit Marleau are all on the downside of their careers - sometimes these vets make for good late value picks, I just think there are too many here.

11. Sabres on the Warpath - There's a lot of offense here, so G, A, P, PPP and SOG will all be very strong categories. I think that won't be enough though, with not a lot coming in the way of hits and PIM's dragging the overall offensive categories down a little bit. The other concern is goaltending. Talbot is the only work horse here and I think no matter how good he is, the Oilers defense will prevent his overall numbers for being more than average. Vasilevskiy and Neuvirth could swing the goalie categories for the better (but Johnson and Bernier, if they get a lot of time, may not do too many favours).

12. Thorn - Overall offense likely a bit above average but hits and penalty minutes will be weaknesses. Strong offense from the back end but up front the depth is lacking, McDavid and Kuznetsov can cover up a lot of that. Rinne and Anderson are an okay combination in net, Greiss is a wild card there, overall I think there are too many weak categories for a higher finish.

13. Jack Burton Express - There is upside in the offense in Puljujarvi, Connor, Drouin and the like but 2 or 3 of those guys will have to really break out and displace guys like Vermette, Roussel for this team to be near the top of the standings. Goaltending is hurt by my system here with the two tandems but I'm not sure that Detroit tandem will produce very good numbers anyway. Wins and shutouts should be fine, ratios ok, penalty minutes will be fine as well.

14. IC Alkies- Hits and PIM's will be strengths, I don't like the goaltending. Elliott has upside in Calgary, if the team in front of him cooperates but none of Lehner, Lehtonen or Ward have done much lately to inspire a lot of confidence. Maybe Lehner gets a better team in front of him and Ward turns back the clock but I think there is a lot of downside in the piper here. In terms of scoring, some nice high end players here but having Martin, Neil, Chara, Martinez and Shaw limits the overall offensive upside - as it is now, this team probably gets the fewest points from its D corps in the league.

I thought for sure all the way up to the draft that Crosby be my guy if he fell to 4, but lo and behold when it got there, my HockeyGuys Draft Dominator software told me to take Pavelski instead. Kidding aside, I got a bit gun-shy on Sid's spinning head, but I probably should have gone Tavares or McDavid there. Admit I will regret it.

I think you're spot on with my goaltending. I go in thinking every year that I need to make that more of a priority, but again when my pick comes there are other guys/positions I like better. As I mentioned early in the draft, I thought the move to 14 teams made goalies a little less of a priority, since you no longer had the issue of not enough "starters" for 28 spots instead of 32. But yet they still went a bit too fast for my liking. We'll see.

i like the PIM/hits prediction. There's good reason that "Dr. Hook" Tim McCracken is my avatar (side note: the actor, Paul D'Amato, grew up two towns away from where I live now and still is active with charity in the area).

Let's put on the foil!

picking 14th and right behind Brasky and NV really didn't do me any favors.

after I got Simmonds, I probably ignored hits and PIM more than I should have.

also probably waited too long on goalies. will need some breaks there.

if Boucher holds Karlsson back, I'm probably not going to have much of a chance either.

Power Rankings:

1. Northern Voice - My projections, I should end up at the top or I really ####ed up the draft. This team should be strong across the board. I waited too long on Neuvirth as insurance for Mason - thanks @Aaron Rudnicki (on the flip side of this, I think Pickard ends up the starter in COL by season't end). Could pretty easily have 8 60 point players (Johansen, Eichel, Matthews, Hall, Schenn, Radulov, Ryan, Subban) with guys like Kane/Perron/Hartnell filling in the hits and PIMs cats and still being in the 40-50 point range. And also the best goalie in the league. ***If Eichel's injury is serious, I fall at least to #2, maybe/likely farther.

2. Brasky's Brawlers - Solid team across the board, no real weaknesses here at all. Price and Holtby are far and away the top fantasy goalies, I have Holtby, Brasky has Price, just having those guys locked in early gives a big leg up. This team may even be better than it shows in my rankings, I used Loui Erikkson at LW and Marner at UT for these projections, so the sooner Jaden Schwartz gets back, the stronger this team is. I'm very high on Hellebuyck as well, thought I could wait a bit longer on him (that said Hutchinson is actually getting game 1).

3. 12 Parsec Kessel Run - Another team that is strong across the board in every category. Crawford/Schneider gives strength in net, nice mix of offense and physical players, really not much to criticize here.

4. Getz Ducks - Not quite as strong in net as the three teams above - need Gibson and Andersen to have strong seasons to push into the top 3 positions. Tons of shooters here, led by Ovechkin. Should be near the top in goals, PPP, shots, etc... but likely near the bottom in assists, which will also push points towards the middle of the pack. Definite contender but you can see potential weaknesses.

5. Fargin Iceholes - Jones and Dubnyk in net should do well in the counting categories, not quite as sure about GAA/SV%. Similar to Getz Ducks, will be stronger in the shooting/scoring categories, with the overall offense being more towards the middle of the pack. Gudas really needs to carry the load in hits and PIM's, not a ton of other guys there (Rakell signing would help).

6. Buffalo Lightsabres - This team strikes me as middle of the pack almost across the board but very likely last in penalty minutes. There's upside here in Bennett, Fabbri, Klefbom, Jones, Zibanejad etc... but not enough to push to the top of the standings.

7. Wheat Kings - I like Bishop in net but I'm not a big Varlamov fan. With the expansion draft looming, it's possible both are on different teams at the end of the season, so that's a major wild card here. I think the goaltending will be in the mid range overall. This is a tough team to judge because the best point production guys here are mostly pass first guys, but there are shooters in the depth (Purcell, Stempniak, Gallagher), I think it finishes near the top in assists but low in goals/shots, etc.. mixing and matching heavily with the forwards could push that but will be a lot of work.

8. Don Sweeney's Assistant - If this team doesn't lead the league in hits and penalties, something went seriously wrong. Should be strong in the shooting (G, SOG, PPP) categories as well, but a bit below average in assists and points. On offensive categories, this team ranks higher than 8th but the goaltending will prevent it from climbing much higher. Halak is a borderline #1 fantasy goalie at most and Smith is a ratio killer. Strong contender for last in GAA and SV%.

9. RnR - Right wing here is a big problem. Only three were drafted and two (Komorov, Wilson) aren't going to see any power play time. As a result, goals and powerplay points are likely going to be low. Lundqvist/Luongo combo in net is decent but both have some downside at this point. It should be a team that hits and gets penalty minutes no problem and some nice assist totals as well. Upgrading those wingers would help with the offense but hurt in hits/PIMs, so it's not an easy fix.

10. Game Time Decisions - The Rask/Allen combination in net will be near the top of the league in all 4 categories. That's good, because this is probably the lowest scoring team in the league. Guys like Hanzal, Vanek, Doan, Sharp, Parise, Markov, Green, Vrbata, Streit Marleau are all on the downside of their careers - sometimes these vets make for good late value picks, I just think there are too many here.

11. Sabres on the Warpath - There's a lot of offense here, so G, A, P, PPP and SOG will all be very strong categories. I think that won't be enough though, with not a lot coming in the way of hits and PIM's dragging the overall offensive categories down a little bit. The other concern is goaltending. Talbot is the only work horse here and I think no matter how good he is, the Oilers defense will prevent his overall numbers for being more than average. Vasilevskiy and Neuvirth could swing the goalie categories for the better (but Johnson and Bernier, if they get a lot of time, may not do too many favours).

12. Thorn - Overall offense likely a bit above average but hits and penalty minutes will be weaknesses. Strong offense from the back end but up front the depth is lacking, McDavid and Kuznetsov can cover up a lot of that. Rinne and Anderson are an okay combination in net, Greiss is a wild card there, overall I think there are too many weak categories for a higher finish.

13. Jack Burton Express - There is upside in the offense in Puljujarvi, Connor, Drouin and the like but 2 or 3 of those guys will have to really break out and displace guys like Vermette, Roussel for this team to be near the top of the standings. Goaltending is hurt by my system here with the two tandems but I'm not sure that Detroit tandem will produce very good numbers anyway. Wins and shutouts should be fine, ratios ok, penalty minutes will be fine as well.

14. IC Alkies- Hits and PIM's will be strengths, I don't like the goaltending. Elliott has upside in Calgary, if the team in front of him cooperates but none of Lehner, Lehtonen or Ward have done much lately to inspire a lot of confidence. Maybe Lehner gets a better team in front of him and Ward turns back the clock but I think there is a lot of downside in the piper here. In terms of scoring, some nice high end players here but having Martin, Neil, Chara, Martinez and Shaw limits the overall offensive upside - as it is now, this team probably gets the fewest points from its D corps in the league.
Idiot lol

Some Flyers homer info, if he's available keep an eye on or grab Sean Couturier. He's second line C finally playing with talented wingers with Voracek and Konecny and is a mainstay on PP2. If that line stays together he should put up career offensive numbers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to laminate this into the shape of a cup and then drink the tears of my competitors from it when I win.

Currently 13th..........

7 teams within 10 points of the lead.

Currently 13th..........

7 teams within 10 points of the lead.
Just biding my time waiting for Eichel to come back...

Power Rankings:

pretty spot on in terms of PIMs/Hits being weak spots, but my crappy goalies are currently getting me 45 of 56 points

Yeah, I was actually right about Vasilevsky but definitely didn't see CAMBOT coming... there's still lots of time for Bernier to drag you down a bit ;)  
with the way Andersen started off this season, I wondered if any goalie could ever succeed in Toronto.

Bernier seems like a different player outside the Toronto spotlight.

Power Rankings:

Spot on with the hits and penalties, but I'm getting crushed in G and PPP (as well as points). And of course, my annual decision to punt/be gun shy on drafting a goalie early is killing me ... 9 total points from my goalies.  :X

Spot on with the hits and penalties, but I'm getting crushed in G and PPP (as well as points). And of course, my annual decision to punt/be gun shy on drafting a goalie early is killing me ... 9 total points from my goalies.  :X
:lmao: :lmao:  You already have 93 more hits more than the 2nd most. 410 to 317. That's like 25% more hits than anyone else in the league.

Power Rankings:

@Aaron Rudnicki

Sorry Aaron, stupid board won't let me erase your tag on phone  

Well, we are first in goals and tied for first in assists    we've had several bright spots like Anisimov, Fowler, Skinner and Kucherov is a god.

Ovie is 6th on our team in scoring. kind of disappointed   Carlson has just sucked.  

Goalies need to do a lot better. if they can play like last night, we have a great chance to mover up a lot.

is there a big games played discrepancy anywhere?  i have let my guys go pretty much, but if guys stream things May be skewed.

:lmao: :lmao:  You already have 93 more hits more than the 2nd most. 410 to 317. That's like 25% more hits than anyone else in the league.
I vote that we rank by standard deviation next year. I need to get better bang (so to speak) for my buck on this. Or rethink the way I do my preseason rankings, at least.

let's go with incremental change.

$30/team. 14 teams so that's $420 total in prize pool.

1st - 50% ($210)

2nd - 30% ($126)

3rd - 20% ($84)
1st - Getzlaf ($210)

2nd - Thorn ($126)

3rd - Brasky ($84)

I am sure there are some who didn't pay. I need to check my records and will pay out when I get things sorted.

I think I basically have payments from 9 of 14 owners

sent messages to the other 5 guys, who I assume will settle up soon.

good job, Getz.  crushed it.

you too Thorny, thought I could hold you off.  guess not. 
Thanks!!

Thanks for the quick payment Rude!

I've been playing in leagues since 1984.  This was easily on of the hardest leagues to win I've ever been in.  I think this was year five for me in this league and my first time not finishing in double digits.

It's really amazing how many things had to go right to beat you guys, especially that bastage Brasky.  Up until the All-Star break, just about every decision made worked out perfectly. I remember last year that no matter what I did, it was the wrong move.

I think we won with a lot of depth and a draft where many guys outperformed their draft slot. We had so many different guys step up and carry the team for a week or two.

28th pick.   Kucherov - finished 6th in rankings.  Was a stud the last month.
112th pick (end of 8th) -  Kesler - finished 24th in the rankings.
140th pick - Skinner - Did very well for us until we traded him for needed assists. We lost on that trade due to his great finish.  
169th pick (start of Rd 13) - Cam Atkinson - finished 36th in final rankings.
224th pick - Cam Fowler - career season and really upped his game this year.
253rd pick (rd19) - Anisimov. - did a great job whenever we played him and helped us take early lead in goals scored.
280th pick (rd20) - Niederreiter - finished 37th in final rankings.  Can't choose if he or Cam Atkinson was steal of the draft.

Free Agents - Picked up Arvidsson and he finished 56th overall.  Had a lot of fun watching him this year.  We picked up Mantha also and it seemed like every time we played him, he did well.

The season turned for us on Jan 9th, a day in which my son and I flew down to So Cal on his school break to watch the Ducks play twice. That night Gibson shutout the Red Wings and Miller also had a shutout and we gained like 11 points that day.

Our goalies started out very bad. We had a 2.90 GAA and .906 SV pct in late November.  And then Frederik Anderson went on a 17-game streak where he allowed three goals just one time. We traded Anisimov for Lehner and he was solid on sv pct and we quickly moved up in all goalie categories. We had like 40 wins in Dec and Jan.   To protect out sv pct and GAA, we only used about 10 goalie games the last 6 weeks.

James Neal can rot in hell. LOL.   When we played him, 52 games 16-8-24  minus 18.  When benched, 18 games, 7-10-17  plus 8.

Also want to thank Brasky's goalies for sucking so bad. It was truly amazing watching them at times  :D    

Last edited by a moderator:
My son just text and wanted to know when the draft was  :thumbup:      We've drafted together last three years.  With the success last year, we interacted more while he was at college and that made the season even more awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread