What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Moderation Thoughts - What Do You Think? (1 Viewer)

How would you like to see the FFA moderated?

• More heavily moderated than it is now with time outs given much more frequently for unexcellent beha

Votes: 42 11.4%
  • A little more moderated than it is now with time outs given a little more frequently for unexcellent

Votes: 73 19.8%
  • Keep it like it is now

Votes: 119 32.3%
  • A little less moderated than it is now with time outs given a little less frequently for unexcellent

Votes: 63 17.1%
  • A lot less moderated than it is now with time outs given much less frequently for unexcellent behavi

Votes: 71 19.3%

• Total voters
I believe once the conversation in the thread turns off point or a poster comes along and instead of challenging thru debate, decides rather to tear the other poster apart with derogatory terms or calls the other poster stupid or any array of same meaning words, that's when the threads take a sour turn. 

If that were curtailed better IMO this place would be a little stronger for it. That said, it's up to the folks who frequent this place to uphold the 1 basic rule, be excellent to each other. 

And the reality is when push comes to shove this place shines like no other. Some amazing things happen around here, we have raised money for great causes, the t-shirt exchange shows people care around here. 

Folks just get upset and heated and sometimes you just need to get some fresh air. 
Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Why this so hard for people to understand and adhere to or else suffer the consequences of not following the rules as stated?
It's his board, his ball, his rules and they've been the same since the Yellow Board days.  If you don't like them, either leave (it's the internet. There's an unlimited number of boards out there with an unlimited number of rule variations (or lack there of). Likely some with posters that would revel in f-bombs, name calling and naked picture posting. Or change your outlook-on-life dial to "Get a grip" and just be freaking Quasi-Excellent. If someone's being an ###, don't use the "Ignore" button, just be smart, don't look for a fight and skip their inane/derogatory/insulting/fishing for a fight comments. If you're going to get into a I*fight with a troll, you're as bad as he is, just better at understanding the rules.

Tim pretty much spams every thread he is in, to the point I openly groan if he shows up in a thread I like (no offense dude). However, I've never once seen him attack another poster or even really be nasty to anybody. He seems like a legit good guy who is also a little insane about how much he posts. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Very true, but there are more complaints about him than anyone else since LHucks. He didn't make personal attacks either. 
Lhucks frequently painted with a broad brush, though, as an oblique way of making a personal attack. Dude loved, loved, loved to troll Southerners.

Tim pretty much spams every thread he is in, to the point I openly groan if he shows up in a thread I like (no offense dude). However, I've never once seen him attack another poster or even really "attack" anybody. He seems like a legit good guy who is also a little insane about how much he posts. 
A little?

I completely disagree with the people arguing for "consistency."  Posters who bring a lot of value to the board by being funny or thought provoking should not be treated the same way as posters who post boring and annoying crap in every thread.
How does one go about deciding this?

I completely disagree with the people arguing for "consistency."  Posters who bring a lot of value to the board by being funny or thought provoking should not be treated the same way as posters who post boring and annoying crap in every thread.
Gotta disagree here. Who's to say what's funny or boring for someone isn't for another? If you don't like someone's politcal/social/funny bone views just scroll past their post.

As for banning rationales, good luck with that. As soon as the moderators start getting into "Why" explanations, they'll be roped into a back and forth about their views on life vs the banee's, Then there'll be no moderating at all because they' too busy trying to rationalize the un-rationalizable. You need to self police and figure out what got you the boot and don't do it again. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant. Seems pretty easy. I thought there was a FFA spinoff board out there where one of the more popular topics was whining about why you got banned. Again, usually.

How does one go about deciding this?
It honestly is not very difficult.  Someone earlier mentioned LHUCKS.  I think he's a great example of what I'm talking about.  When he was posting there was considerable debate about whether he was violating the board's terms of service.  There really was no debate about whether he was an annoying jerk.  If pretty much every poster here agrees that someone is making their experience worse here, the mods are smart enough to know and just ban the guy.

By contrast, a guy like Tanner that's funny and has generally more interesting things to say should get a longer leash for committing minor rule infractions.

I actually think the mods currently do this to some extent, which is good.  That's what some people are perceiving as a political bias.

The one thing I try to abide by is to treat posters respectfully, even if I disagree. I may :pokey: them, but I won't call them (or at least try) not to call them by a derogatory name. You idea may be dumb, but you are not.

I think there are a handful of trolls on the board and I have been trolled by a few, but you know what? I'm a big boy. I can handle it.  Bans should only be handed out for people way over the top.  Like a certain little #### that needles me about Larry Craig still - how many years ago was that?

And then Joe, the warnings I got are over five years old. How about a sunset law?

BTW - I took five years off because the FFA was getting too hostile. I think when it gets that way, it is time to make an example of someone.
I think the warnings are just a historical thing. Nobody pays any attention to something that's old. It's easy to see if someone has been warned repeatedly and how recently. That's all the mods look at I think.

J

Easier said than done. You get serial trollers trying to rile up the other side, and when things finally reach a boiling point, you almost always get people banned that had nothing to do with it. They just happened to say something that for the previous 10 pages was considered okay, but a moderator finally snaps and bans everyone. Thats what irritates me the most. Ban the trollers early in a thread and most people can and will have an intelligent debate. 
Why not just ignore them? If everyone just ignored the trollers, then they'll be out there posting BS to themselves and wondering why they're not getting under anyone's skin. Eventually they'll move on.

It honestly is not very difficult.  Someone earlier mentioned LHUCKS.  I think he's a great example of what I'm talking about.  When he was posting there was considerable debate about whether he was violating the board's terms of service.  There really was no debate about whether he was an annoying jerk.  If pretty much every poster here agrees that someone is making their experience worse here, the mods are smart enough to know and just ban the guy.

By contrast, a guy like Tanner that's funny and has generally more interesting things to say should get a longer leash for committing minor rule infractions.

I actually think the mods currently do this to some extent, which is good.  That's what some people are perceiving as a political bias.
This kind of falls apart when one of the board's most hated posters not only still posts here but has been given multiple second chances.

Tim pretty much spams every thread he is in, to the point I openly groan if he shows up in a thread I like (no offense dude). However, I've never once seen him attack another poster or even really "attack" anybody. He seems like a legit good guy who is also a little insane about how much he posts. 
I don't think I "spam" threads. But I get that there are people who follow me around and complain about every thread I post in. I'm sorry about that. It makes me hesitate to post these days. In the Baton Rouge thread I didn't post for several hours. When I finally did somebody attacked me- not what I wrote, but me personally. When I defended myself, Rambling Wreck posted that "once again" I was trying to make the thread all about me. And so it goes. 

I enjoy being here because there are people I like to discuss and debate issues with. But I also don't want to mess things up for everybody else if everytime I post in a thread we have to deal with 3-4 guys always trying to chase me out of it. If the moderators, or the majority around here, regard me as a problem I will leave. 

I'm on two weeks for something, guess it was a post in the Nice thread, but it was super tame. 

No warnings on my account, no nothing. Seemed like a quick trigger.

Seriously, this thread shouldn't be about Tim.  He's fine.  
If anything, it should be about a dozen or so posters that treat Tim with absolute disrespect.   Tim might post an awful lot and you might not agree with what he has to say, but there's absolutely no reason to make the whole basis of your post an insult.   If you don't like what he has to say and feel that way consistently, just ignore him.   Posting nothing but an insult especially something as low as questioning his role as a father has absolutely no place.

In all seriousness:

The heavy-handed moderation on this board from ~5 years ago was really not good.  

Whatever you guys have been doing for the past couple years is good from where I sit.  

How about you just finally give us a Current Events, News and Politics forum @Joe Bryant and let the same 30 guys :lmao: ing each other and bickering back and forth perpetually about that stuff have a place to do it. The level of maturity in most of the political threads here is actually worse than most Reddit threads on the same subject - that's really hard to do.

I voted for slightly more moderation.  My reasoning for this is that these forums are effectively part of a business enterprise owned by the FBG.   I think the vast majority of posters do realize this and are capable of presenting opposing points of views in a civil manner.  However--there is a minority of posters that find it appropriate to insult, clown, and frankly make these forums a place where discussion is no longer fun nor inviting.   The more inviting and comfortable these forums are--the better the dialogue is for us--while at the same time being a better business platform for the FBG.  The increasing levels of snark that are being found on these forums would not be tolerated at any of our businesses--so we should make extend the same courtesy to the FBG.   It's just plain etiquette and manners.  Just last season--I had an opposing point of view in the Doug Martin thread (I didn't believe that he was low end RB1/high end RB2 material--and I backed up my point of view with some statistics from previous seasons.  While my take of Martin ended up being wrong--people were making jokes about me hating him for "sleeping"with my mother, sister..etc.. Just know that when you choose to be snarky on these boards-you are possibly ruining the experience of a potential customer of the FBG.  Until you open up your own message boards---show enough tact to be respectful of potential customers that are not yours to scare away.  

How about this?  When I post in a  thread I'm passionate about, I tend to cross the line.  I admit it; when I'm being un-excellent to others, I know it, & try to acknowledge the fact.  The fact is, there are many posters on this board that are above my fighting weight, & so when I do venture into such threads, I should expect the intellectual beat down, since I am not as well-versed in said threads.  That's why I try to stick to the soccer threads, where again, I am not as well versed as others, but they treat me with respect...sort of :unsure: ... point being, just don't be a Richard head  & you should be alright.  "What we have here, is a failure to communicate!". We're just a bunch of Richard's, who aren't  gonna solve anything by what we post... discussion/dialogue is good, but that's all it is.  FORZA ROMA.

If anything, it should be about a dozen or so posters that treat Tim with absolute disrespect.   Tim might post an awful lot and you might not agree with what he has to say, but there's absolutely no reason to make the whole basis of your post an insult.   If you don't like what he has to say and feel that way consistently, just ignore him.   Posting nothing but an insult especially something as low as questioning his role as a father has absolutely no place.
No.

Where there's smoke there's fire. You've got like 10 people mentioning him in a thread about moderation that needs to be done... and it's still not his fault, insane, lol.

We're all wrong, Tim's right. Got it.

I voted for slightly more moderation.  My reasoning for this is that these forums are effectively part of a business enterprise owned by the FBG.   I think the vast majority of posters do realize this and are capable of presenting opposing points of views in a civil manner.  However--there is a minority of posters that find it appropriate to insult, clown, and frankly make these forums a place where discussion is no longer fun nor inviting.   The more inviting and comfortable these forums are--the better the dialogue is for us--while at the same time being a better business platform for the FBG.  The increasing levels of snark that are being found on these forums would not be tolerated at any of our businesses--so we should make extend the same courtesy to the FBG.   It's just plain etiquette and manners.  Just last season--I had an opposing point of view in the Doug Martin thread (I didn't believe that he was low end RB1/high end RB2 material--and I backed up my point of view with some statistics from previous seasons.  While my take of Martin ended up being wrong--people were making jokes about me hating him for "sleeping"with my mother, sister..etc.. Just know that when you choose to be snarky on these boards-you are possibly ruining the experience of a potential customer of the FBG.  Until you open up your own message boards---show enough tact to be respectful of potential customers that are not yours to scare away.  
You're talking about the undiluted sewage of the Shark Pool. Much different animal than the FFA.

No.

Where there's smoke there's fire. You've got like 10 people mentioning him in a thread about moderation that needs to be done... and it's still not his fault, insane, lol.

We're all wrong, Tim's right. Got it.
What are you going to give him a timeout for?  Posting too much?  Writing too many words in a post?  I don't think I've ever seen him write anything disrespectful which is rather amazing considering the amount of insults that are thrown at him.   You're clearly one of the guys that doesn't like him as a poster so just put him on ignore.  You'll never have to read a single thing of his again.

You're talking about the undiluted sewage of the Shark Pool. Much different animal than the FFA.
For me--it's all one the same.   All of these forums are owned and run by the FBG and they are all patroned by potential customers of the FBG.    I don't think it's too unreasonable to ask that every person that posts do so with the understanding that we are all guests in their house and we all have a duty to not scare away potential customers through being rude or snarky.  There's no reason for each forum to be managed differently from each other when it comes to basic manners.  

What are you going to give him a timeout for?  Posting too much?  Writing too many words in a post?  I don't think I've ever seen him write anything disrespectful which is rather amazing considering the amount of insults that are thrown at him.   You're clearly one of the guys that doesn't like him as a poster so just put him on ignore.  You'll never have to read a single thing of his again.
He claimed that raping a 13 year old is OK if she's dressed provocatively and used Mr. Ham's tragedy as an excuse to attack him. 

How about this?  When I post in a  thread I'm passionate about, I tend to cross the line.  I admit it; when I'm being un-excellent to others, I know it, & try to acknowledge the fact.  The fact is, there are many posters on this board that are above my fighting weight, & so when I do venture into such threads, I should expect the intellectual beat down, since I am not as well-versed in said threads.  That's why I try to stick to the soccer threads, where again, I am not as well versed as others, but they treat me with respect...sort of :unsure: ... point being, just don't be a Richard head  & you should be alright.  "What we have here, is a failure to communicate!". We're just a bunch of Richard's, who aren't  gonna solve anything by what we post... discussion/dialogue is good, but that's all it is.  FORZA ROMA.
Basically, you're saying "if you're not versed on a subject, this isn't the place to learn and/or form an opinion"?

Well, I was given a timeout for "spamming" in the Donald Trump thread and that was actually a thread I started.

If I was given a timeout for that, I am sure there's grounds to give our boy Timmy a timeout for that. I already posted a link of not so nice things he's said about me that he received no recourse for.

I can't speak for everybody but many times Tim will find a thread I'm posting in and will start hurling insults.

Here's one where he insinuates that I'm ######ed. It's got 5+ likes. I reported it, nothing. If I said anything unprovoked like this towards him, I'd get a timeout so fast.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/731315-official-donald-trump-for-president-thread/?page=186#comment-19156460

Instead of posting elsewhere to argue, can't we just have one no holds barred thread that went completely unmoderated (excluding things like death threats)? It could be left in a hidden location that no subscriber visits like the baseball forum. 

I'd love that, but know it won't happen.

Put me in the camp that feels like the moderation/punishments are a little vague. We are also on a magic football board with a base of prob 99.9% male users, so a sexually charged joke isn't a big deal to me, but I've been hit for those before. 

A language timeout is ridiculous IMO, we're all adults here so some bad words are no big deal. If the language filter doesn't pick up on something and the user didn't try to circumvent it, I don't think a timeout should ever be given.

I'm just a user though, so my :2cents:  are just that.

@Joe Bryant

Is this an excellent way to talk about somebody? I reported most of these posts awhile back but it fell on deaf ears.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/728355-making-america-great-again-by-destroying-the-gop-the-official-trump-thread/?page=396#comment-18950080

"yes I know that some people compare me to Em. Makes me sad and disgusted. Oh well. Eminence is a racist, a homophobe, a loser in life, not very bright, and somebody who posts about his personal affairs all the time in an undeservedly bragging fashion. I do none of those things. So I don't think we're all that comparable."

Well, I was given a timeout for "spamming" in the Donald Trump thread and that was actually a thread I started.

If I was given a timeout for that, I am sure there's grounds to give our boy Timmy a timeout for that. I already posted a link of not so nice things he's said about me that he received no recourse for.

I can't speak for everybody but many times Tim will find a thread I'm posting in and will start hurling insults.

Here's one where he insinuates that I'm ######ed. It's got 5+ likes. I reported it, nothing. If I said anything unprovoked like this towards him, I'd get a timeout so fast.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/731315-official-donald-trump-for-president-thread/?page=186#comment-19156460
Maybe Tim was comparing you to the smart version of Charlie Gordon?

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/738034-are-you-for-or-against-taking-in-syrian-refugees/?page=9#comment-18603022

"Those of you against: do you feel proud to have Eminence on your side?"

"Seriously, if it ever really becomes a question of not enough room Im all for letting the refugees in and kicking guys like Eminence out- white racist dudes who work at Walgreens, go to community college, live off their parents and moan and complain about our society. What good purpose do they serve? Kick them the #### out and let the ones who risk their lives getting here stay."

"Sometimes I think my use of sarcasm can be a little too subtle for some people. 

But if I am thought of as being intolerant towards Eminence I can live with that"

Users who are viewing this thread