What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1996 Lists due 9/16 (1 Viewer)

Fargo - 30

Swingers - 22

Kingpin - 20

Primal Fear - 18

Crash - 16

Sleepers - 14

The People vs. Larry Flynt - 12

Trainspotting - 10

Sling Blade  - 10

Trees Lounge - 10

Scream - 9

Fear - 6

From Dusk Till Dawn - 6

Multiplicity - 5

2 Days in the Valley - 4

The Rock - 3

The Cable Guy - 2

Twister - 1

Black Sheep - 1

Suburbia - 1
####### crushed shuke

We should help @KarmaPolice out and post some prospective crummy reviews for movies likely to get ranked. Or make up crummy reviews of our own.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I was watching The Big Sleep and setting the DVR to record Key Largo tonight, my wife informed me that I needed to stop recording old movies because she was tired of our DVR looking like that of an 80 year old. So, I sympathize.
Great movies. Key Largo is an incredible collection of actors: Bogat, Bacall, Robinson, Claire Trevor and Lionel Barrymore. 

Mrs. Eephus loves old pre-code dramas so our DVR looks like that of a 95 year old.
Yeah my DVR is basically a library of TCM movies and all the Food Network/Bravo/HGTV that my wife records

:shock:  That's hard to believe.

I hate to see KP gone for a bit, but on the other hand I could really use an extra week on this...
Yeah, I wonder what he posted. I hope it was funny at least! Also, thank god he waited until the fantasy football music draft was over. 

I've always been a big-time defender of pure free speech and the political threads and their place on this site, but I really find myself no longer being able to abide political discussions here on both sides. It's ridiculous KP has to get worked up and swept up in a wave of time outs. That's just stupid and why I've posted there like four times in four months. 

I feel better. 

My two cents.

Also, let's get KP back soon. If this is a utile argument, fine, and I understand the ethical/moral limitations of utile arguments, but he's worth a lot more to this site than that Q guy who will argue in bad faith and likely disappear when challenged. It's a joke.  

Last edited by a moderator:
ok... separated into tiers. a ton I really like this year... gonna be tough to narrow it down.

• Fargo
  • When The Cat's Away
  • Secrets & Lies
  • Basquiat
  • Swingers

• Flirting with Disaster
  • When We Were Kings
  • Walking and Talking
  • Wallace & Gromit
  • Welcome to the Dollhouse
  • Freeway

• Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy
  • Citizen Ruth
  • I Shot Andy Warhol
  • Trainspotting
  • Breaking the Waves
  • The People vs. Larry Flynt
  • Jerry Maguire

• Kingpin
  • Big Night
  • Independence Day
  • 2 Days In The Valley
  • Angels and Insects
  • Mars Attacks!
  • Beavis and Butt-Head Do America

• Primal Fear
  • Bound
  • La Promesse
  • Sling Blade
  • Dead Man
  • La cérémonie
  • That Thing You Do!

ok... separated into tiers. a ton I really like this year... gonna be tough to narrow it down.

• Wallace & Gromit
What's the Wallace & Gromit from this year?  I checked Wiki and did not see any 1996 releases.  Closest I see is "A Close Shave" in 1995.

WTF?  Moderator removed the rest of quote.  Big difference between "as horrible as you" and "as horrible as you described".

FREE KARMA POLICE!
That's such crap as it changes the entire context of what he said. If that's what got him banned that moderator needs a T.O. to learn how to read.

Keith R said:
Eephus said:
So what do we think about "Bound"?
Very good.  Not top tier but worthy of double digits
suffered through some not great acting- although for both leads, their best performances IMO. 

IIRC, the tone and look of it felt like a coen bro movie... in a good way. I remember a scene with spilled milk (if I'm remembering the right movie here) and dripping blood that was absolutely fantastic.

I won't be judging it on how it holds up... but I wonder how it holds up- haven't seen it since the theaters.

suffered through some not great acting- although for both leads, their best performances IMO. 

IIRC, the tone and look of it felt like a coen bro movie... in a good way. I remember a scene with spilled milk (if I'm remembering the right movie here) and dripping blood that was absolutely fantastic.

I won't be judging it on how it holds up... but I wonder how it holds up- haven't seen it since the theaters.
That's paint...IIRC.  It's been a while.

I read the date wrong on my vacation, and thought it was the 9th.  Still think we are going to push this back one week.  Work is making my old butt sleepy at night, and we might go out for some birthday supper at the start of next week.  

Long story short, I changed the title to reflect new due date.  

We should help @KarmaPolice out and post some prospective crummy reviews for movies likely to get ranked. Or make up crummy reviews of our own.
I was thinking about going the opposite of the countdown reviews such as...

yo gangsta kid meets gangsta genie, with gangsta results!!!

Possibly the best movie ever made this is the gangsta version of Aladdin. No blue genie trash! This is gangsta all the way!!! I watched it and I was like yo this is seriously gangsta. Yo ya gotta catch this move, Shaq is the best actor/actress ever or at least the most gangsta!!! The boom box scene freaked me out and is not suitable for younger audiences. Yo but this man, this was g...g...a...ngsta. I Love You Shaq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U my main bro see ya in the hood. Whoever disses this movie is an un-gangster weirdo who I assume smells funky. Yo me and my sizzles were like yo this movie gansta. I was like I gotta write to Shaq make a sequel bro!!! I call it Kabaam, or Jumanji I haven't decided either one is gansta. I also came up with a really gansta rap: Yo Yo Yo im a gangster, My name Kazaam, Shazaam, Babaam yo yo yo gansta.

KAZAAM

OR

Best, Movie, Ever.

Well now, this was probably one of the most fantastic pieces of movie literature to ever be produced within this day and age of cinematography Hulk Hogan is the greatest actor of all time, and he is also, the greatest wrestler to ever, take foot within the wrestling ring.

Now, I am a hulkamaniac.

Best movie ever Best movie ever Best movie ever.

10/10b

Nothing beats seeing a movie about Santa, with fight scenes, thieves trying to steal crystals from an orphanage with Hulk Hogan, the man with a plan, coming in and desecrating the enemies ! pewpew !

SANTA WITH MUSCLES

deep, tho unspectacular, year:

1. Fargo, 23 points

2. Hamlet 30 pts (22 wikkid pts)

3. When We Were Kings 30 pts (19 wikkid)

4. Cable Guy 30 pts (15 wikkid)

5. Sling Blade 14 pts

6. Lone Star 13 pts

7. Kingpin 9 pts

8. Romeo & Juliet 7 pts

9. Trainspotting 6 pts

10. The Truth About Cats & Dogs 6 pts

11. Mission Impossible 5 pts

12. Michael Collins 5 pts

13. Swingers 5 pts

14. Shine 4 pts

15. Bottle Rocket 4 pts

16. The People v. Larry Flynt 3 pts

17. Primal Fear 3 pts

18. Looking For Richard 1 pt

19. Twelfth Night 1 pts

20. English Patient 1 pts

Just missed: Girl  6 (reeeeally wanted to put this in over English Patient but couldnt - the epic moved me before it bored me to distraction) That Thing You Do, Birdcage, The Ghost & the Darkness, Twister, James & the Giant Peach, Fly Away Home, Hard Eight, Tin Cup, Big Night, Mulholland Falls, Kolya, Mother Night

You need to stay out of the political forum. The Shark Pool provides more civil intelligent discourse.
I just went in there for a few minutes to see what the fuss was and why KP got a vacation.

Absolute #### show in there. Oh man. Had to make one post correcting Tim about the reality of TARP....and GTF outta there.

I just went in there for a few minutes to see what the fuss was and why KP got a vacation.

Absolute #### show in there. Oh man. Had to make one post correcting Tim about the reality of TARP....and GTF outta there.
A depressing infuriating hellscape

I don't vote in these polls because I just don't watch enough movies, but this year - of those I've seen - would have "When We Were Kings" & "That Thing You Do" getting max points from me.

I think "TTYD" is a kind of perfect movie. It's a little corny and the stakes on the surface aren't high. But - in an era with Tarentino grunge and Merchant Ivory frills - I think Hanks' film holds its own. It's funny, sad, silly, true-feeling, sneakily-intelligent, nostalgic - and, above all, sweet. It's obvious this was a labor of love for Tom Hanks and I will stop whatever I'm doing to watch it if I run across it playing somewhere.

I don't vote in these polls because I just don't watch enough movies, but this year - of those I've seen - would have "When We Were Kings" & "That Thing You Do" getting max points from me.

I think "TTYD" is a kind of perfect movie. It's a little corny and the stakes on the surface aren't high. But - in an era with Tarentino grunge and Merchant Ivory frills - I think Hanks' film holds its own. It's funny, sad, silly, true-feeling, sneakily-intelligent, nostalgic - and, above all, sweet. It's obvious this was a labor of love for Tom Hanks and I will stop whatever I'm doing to watch it if I run across it playing somewhere.
Well crap.  I've been looking for a 1996 movie to watch for this poll and have never seen this.  But I deeply despise Tom Hanks as an actor (might be fine as a person - dunno).  Tough call.

Well crap.  I've been looking for a 1996 movie to watch for this poll and have never seen this.  But I deeply despise Tom Hanks as an actor (might be fine as a person - dunno).  Tough call.
He's not the lead in this, or anything close to it.

Not max, but "That Thing You Do" will be getting some good points from me too.  Nothing too deep, but just  a simple, enjoyable film -- kind of a reflection of the song at the center of it.

I'll probably be giving some good points to "Josie and the #####cats" when we get to 2001 too.  Certainly a different approach/style, but I may just have a weak spot for movies about pop bands with some catchy songs.

I usually make a list of point-worthy movies, even if they're only worth 1 point, then trim 3-4 off.  This time, my list was 34!  Got to trim 14 off...

Just submitted list.  Between NFL, NCAA, and WWE, won't have any time to watch any movies before the deadline.

Damn, I had forgotten about this until I go two messages today with lists.  Not a good sign.  

Between starting work and helping the older one get off to a good start, I haven't had time to watch a new movie in a couple weeks.  Good this this poll and the next are easy one for me (not for narrowing down, but at least I have seen a ton of the movies), and hopefully things will settle down enough to where I can have time and stay awake through a movie again.  

Damn, I had forgotten about this until I go two messages today with lists.  Not a good sign.  

Between starting work and helping the older one get off to a good start, I haven't had time to watch a new movie in a couple weeks.  Good this this poll and the next are easy one for me (not for narrowing down, but at least I have seen a ton of the movies), and hopefully things will settle down enough to where I can have time and stay awake through a movie again.  
How has it been going back to work?

How has it been going back to work?
Ok.  It's not hard work (help manage the local store of a fast food restaurant chain), but just not used to that plus all the Daddy stuff, so my mind and body are revolting a little bit.  I keep passing out about 9 since I have been getting up about 5:30 to get everything ready and get the kid to daycare before work. 

Thanks for asking.  

Users who are viewing this thread