What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1996 Lists due 9/16 (1 Viewer)

Lone Star - 28

Fargo - 28

Sling Blade - 26

Swingers - 16

Citizen Ruth - 16

The Daytrippers - 14

Beautiful Girls - 13

Shine -8

Flirting with Disaster - 8

Big Night - 7

Breaking the Waves - 6

Trainspotting - 6

Hard 8 - 6

From Dusk Till Dawn - 5

Trees Lounge - 5

Michael Collins - 4

Secrets & Lies - 4
Redistributed the 8 points from Welcome to the Dollhouse.

KarmaPolice said:
Damn, I had forgotten about this until I go two messages today with lists.  Not a good sign.  

Between starting work and helping the older one get off to a good start, I haven't had time to watch a new movie in a couple weeks.  Good this this poll and the next are easy one for me (not for narrowing down, but at least I have seen a ton of the movies), and hopefully things will settle down enough to where I can have time and stay awake through a movie again.  
Yeah, I haven't seen anything in awhile. Football and back to work, my life is really hard. 

Fargo 28

Sling Blade 24

When We Were Kings 19

Bottle Rocket 16

Kingpin 15

The People vs. Larry Flynt 14

Shine 10

Sleepers 10

Swingers 10

Independence Day 10

Mission:Impossible 9

Trainspotting 8

Grace of My Heart 6

The Cable Guy 5

Primal Fear 4

Trees Lounge 4

From Dusk till Dawn 3

Basquiat 2

Happy Gilmore 1

She's The One 1

Tin Cup 1

Fargo   30

Kingpin   30

The Cable Guy   25

Happy Gilmore   18

Sling Blade   15

When We Were Kings  14

Swingers   12

Paradise Lost  12

Trainspotting   10

Tin Cup   10

Bottle Rocket   8

Basquiat   5

The People vs. Larry Flynt   5

Jerry McGuire  3

The Money Masters  3

1. When The Cat's Away (30)
  2. Secrets & Lies (20)
  3. When We Were Kings (20)
  4. Basquiat (20)
  5. Swingers (15)
  6. Fargo (15)
  7. Flirting with Disaster (10)
  8. Walking and Talking (10)
  9. Welcome to the Dollhouse (10)
  10. Freeway (5)
  11. Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy (5)
  12. Citizen Ruth (5)
  13. I Shot Andy Warhol (5)
  14. Trainspotting (5)
  15. Breaking the Waves (5)
  16. The People vs. Larry Flynt (5)
  17. Jerry Maguire (5)
  18. Kingpin (5)
  19. Big Night (5)
  20. Mars Attacks! (5)

Almost... on any other given day... horseshoes and handgrenades....ned's mom....

1. 2 Days In The Valley
  2. Angels and Insects
  3. Beavis and Butt-Head Do America
  4. Primal Fear
  5. Bound
  6. La Promesse
  7. Sling Blade
  8. Independence Day
  9. Dead Man
  10. La cérémonie
  11. That Thing You Do!

My list:

Fargo 30

Trainspotting 26

Independence Day 22

Bottle Rocket 16

Swingers 16

Lone Star 13

That Thing You Do 12

Big Night 12

Happy Gilmore 11

Michael Collins 9

When We Were Kings 8

Twister 7

A Time to Kill 6

Scream 5

Mission: Impossible 3

Evita 1

Beavis & Butthead Do America 1

My Fellow Americans 1

Black Sheep 1

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. When The Cat's Away (30)
  2. Secrets & Lies (20)
  3. When We Were Kings (20)
  4. Basquiat (20)
  5. Swingers (15)
  6. Fargo (15)
  7. Flirting with Disaster (10)
  8. Walking and Talking (10)
  9. Welcome to the Dollhouse (10)
  10. Freeway (5)
  11. Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy (5)
  12. Citizen Ruth (5)
  13. I Shot Andy Warhol (5)
  14. Trainspotting (5)
  15. Breaking the Waves (5)
  16. The People vs. Larry Flynt (5)
  17. Jerry Maguire (5)
  18. Kingpin (5)
  19. Big Night (5)
  20. Mars Attacks! (5)

Almost... on any other given day... horseshoes and handgrenades....ned's mom....

1. 2 Days In The Valley
  2. Angels and Insects
  3. Beavis and Butt-Head Do America
  4. Primal Fear
  5. Bound
  6. La Promesse
  7. Sling Blade
  8. Independence Day
  9. Dead Man
  10. La cérémonie
  11. That Thing You Do!
Nice list.  I count 10 overlaps.  Unfortunately, one is Welcome to the Dollhouse, which I was correctly informed is from '95.  

At least you now have 10 more points to include a couple of your "almosts".  

I have suspended my disbelief, banned all interruption & kicked out the jams in order to LOVE Countdown Monday!!

ETA: but KP has a new gig, i think, which might change the hours some....

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news - I still remember this project and thread. 

Bad news- I got called in yesterday mid movie math, and am at work most of the day today.  

HOPEFULLY  I can get to math tonight and start the countdown tomorrow after work.  I am thinking after this I am going to take a week or two hiatus before firing up 2001, and we might need to go to a 3 week schedule.  

@krista4 - submit a list if you want to - it's not too late.   Still not done with the damn math.  :bag:

Barely have an hour of "me" time at the end of the day during the week, and movie math felt like more of a chore than it should have.   Instead I get sucked in to an episode of Breaking Bad, dfs football, or a couple annoyed posts in the political forums.  

Also, despite the long time on this year (or maybe because of it??), this is the lowest turn out for lists in a poll.  That surprises me since I figured most of the 90s years would be more popular.  

Also, despite the long time on this year (or maybe because of it??), this is the lowest turn out for lists in a poll.  That surprises me since I figured most of the 90s years would be more popular.  
I consider 1995 to be a great year for films. But it seems like the ones that ended up in the pool, like '96, are pretty weak. The luck of the draw, I guess.

@krista4 - submit a list if you want to - it's not too late.   Still not done with the damn math.  :bag:

Barely have an hour of "me" time at the end of the day during the week, and movie math felt like more of a chore than it should have.   Instead I get sucked in to an episode of Breaking Bad, dfs football, or a couple annoyed posts in the political forums.  
Putting one together right now. :thumbup:  

The standout movie for this year is When We Were Kings, so I'll put that in a tier by itself, then 13 other great movies in the second tier, and six more very good ones to round out the list.  Sadly Jerry Maguire did not make the cut. :(  

Tier until itself: 27 pts

When We Were Kings

Second Tier:  11 pts each

The English Patient

Fargo

Sling Blade

Trainspotting

Lone Star

Secrets & Lies

Big Night

Breaking the Waves

Hard Eight

Dead Man

Walking and Talking

Basquiat

Paradise Lost

Third Tier:  5 pts each

Swingers 

Kolya

Citizen Ruth

Hamlet

Ridicule

Primal Fear

The NFL has started.  That's the big factor here.

I was reading this article and thought of relevance to this thread:  The Movie Assassin: How the English Patient Almost Ruined My Life.  Talks about when she needed to re-write a negative review of The English Patient in order to get it published, and kind of ties it back to the moment when she started selling out in her writing.

Everyone talks about the country falling apart in November 2016, but maybe it fell apart in November 1996, when America went to see The English Patient. What if we had all turned to each other and said, “This garbage is our idea of rave-worthy cinema? Anyone else see a big problem here?”, and then there had been a massive riot?

I was reading this article and thought of relevance to this thread:  The Movie Assassin: How the English Patient Almost Ruined My Life.  Talks about when she needed to re-write a negative review of The English Patient in order to get it published, and kind of ties it back to the moment when she started selling out in her writing.
She also says in that same review that Braveheart and Toy Story were awful. She said the only reason she wanted to review The English Patient was because she wanted to see the new blonde hairstyle on Kristin Scott Thomas and she was sure the movie was going to stupid and terrible. Her boss wanted to send someone else to do the review, someone who wasn't already convinced it was going to suck. I get wanting to allow independent voices and honesty in reviews, but I also don't want to read reviews from someone who has made up their minds on films before seeing them. 

She also says in that same review that Braveheart and Toy Story were awful. She said the only reason she wanted to review The English Patient was because she wanted to see the new blonde hairstyle on Kristin Scott Thomas and she was sure the movie was going to stupid and terrible. Her boss wanted to send someone else to do the review, someone who wasn't already convinced it was going to suck. I get wanting to allow independent voices and honesty in reviews, but I also don't want to read reviews from someone who has made up their minds on films before seeing them. 
She sounds like a dingleberry.

I went in with an open mind, but expecting it be good-great.

It wasn't.

I went in with an open mind, but expecting it be good-great.

It wasn't.
That's fine- I get some people didn't like it. Others thought it was great and easily one of the best movies of the year. I just think it's become the poster child for exaggerated dislike of a critic darling. 

:lmao:   Haven't seen it.  Also have not seen Bottle Rocket, which would probably score highly for me if I had.
Bottle Rocket really appealed to me in my late twenties. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it now. Probably would still like it. It's worth a watch if you get the chance.  

Users who are viewing this thread