What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFL and horrible, no good luck (1 Viewer)

Chimp Magnet

Footballguy
I've got an owner in my dynasty league that has had the worst string of luck in ffl that I've ever seen. Probably not the worst ever, but gotta be right up there.

Drafted Crabtree, Demarius Thomas, Jamarcus Russell, and Jonathon Baldwin as his first round picks in rookie drafts.

Traded a first round pick for Ryan Grant and a second round pick only to have Grant go down for the season weeks later.

Lost Romo and Young to injuries last year.

Lost Colston this year already.

Has lost Maroney, Westbrook, Torrain, McAllister and more to injury or stupidity. 

There's more. These are just the lowlights. I feel bad for the guy. Especially since I traded him Grant and have only had Stafford as my major injury for almost three years. As a commish, I wish I could help. But obviously I can't.  

What do you tell guys who just get the shaft continuously to keep them interested and from bailing? And what kind of crap luck have you or a league mate had?

I've got an owner in my dynasty league that has had the worst string of luck in ffl that I've ever seen. Probably not the worst ever, but gotta be right up there.

Drafted Crabtree, Demarius Thomas, Jamarcus Russell, and Jonathon Baldwin as his first round picks in rookie drafts.

Traded a first round pick for Ryan Grant and a second round pick only to have Grant go down for the season weeks later.

Has lost Maroney, Westbrook, Torrain, McAllister and more to injury or stupidity. 

There's more. These are just the lowlights. I feel bad for the guy. Especially since I traded him Grant and have only had Stafford as my major injury for almost three years. As a commish, I wish I could help. But obviously I can't.  

What do you tell guys who just get the shaft continuously to keep them interested and from bailing? And what kind of crap luck have you or a league mate had?
At least with draft picks, that guy has taken guys who had an above average amount of risk. All of those guys had obvious questions about them, some injury, some character, some college system. Risk management is a part of overall roster management and honestly w/o looking at the rest of his roster, he has done a poor job of analyzing risk and situations. Yeah, he has not good luck, but really has went for high upside in most cases (sans Grant).

At least with draft picks, that guy has taken guys who had an above average amount of risk. All of those guys had obvious questions about them, some injury, some character, some college system. Risk management is a part of overall roster management and honestly w/o looking at the rest of his roster, he has done a poor job of analyzing risk and situations. Yeah, he has not good luck, but really has went for high upside in most cases (sans Grant).
Excellent point. Hard to really fault the guy though as the talent is/was there. But you are right.

I guess that settles that then. No point in responding here folks. Someone else did a similar thread once at some point in time in the past. Go back to your threads about Knoshown Moreno or downgrading Colts players. Nothing to see here.

I guess that settles that then. No point in responding here folks. Someone else did a similar thread once at some point in time in the past. Go back to your threads about Knoshown Moreno or downgrading Colts players. Nothing to see here.
pttsReally, what kind of response are you looking for? Everyone knows football players get injured, don't perform up to expectations, etc. If you want to refund his entry fees for the last five years to make him feel better, go for it. But there's really nothing more to be said. :shrug:

pttsReally, what kind of response are you looking for? Everyone knows football players get injured, don't perform up to expectations, etc. If you want to refund his entry fees for the last five years to make him feel better, go for it. But there's really nothing more to be said. :shrug:
I was looking for stories of above and beyond the normal crap luck. I'm aware that players get injured. But some teams in ffl are snakebit. And I was looking for those kinda stories. Just making conversation really.

Guy in my league traded for LeShoure right before he got injured...then did the EXACT same thing with R. Williams.

I was looking for stories of above and beyond the normal crap luck. I'm aware that players get injured. But some teams in ffl are snakebit. And I was looking for those kinda stories. Just making conversation really.
Last year in my big money league, I went 11-3 in the regular season. I had the highest power rank, points scored, and all-play record by far. Two of those losses came to same terrible team - next to last in power rank, a .350 all-play winning percentage, etc. He beat me for the third time in the championship game. #### happens. :shrug:

Last year in my big money league, I went 11-3 in the regular season. I had the highest power rank, points scored, and all-play record by far. Two of those losses came to same terrible team - next to last in power rank, a .350 all-play winning percentage, etc. He beat me for the third time in the championship game. #### happens. :shrug:
Thank you.

I have been in dynasty leagues for 9 years and my observation would be that to a certain extent people make their own luck. Yes, injuries, coaching changes, NFL trades and all sorts of things that are unforeseeable can come into play and derail even the best teams, but the doormat teams seem to remain among the cellar dwellers and I don't think it is all attributable entirely to luck.

I would be curious if this owner works the waiver wire during the season. I am in a league with a well respected poster here (with a moniker comprised of letters of the alphabet). The league started in 2003 but he has yet to make the playoffs. He drafts well, but refuses to work the waiver wire and I think that is the main reason for his failure to make the post season. I work the waiver wire religously and find that in results in a least one win a year for me in every league (and that one win sometimes means making the playoffs or not).

Also, you seem to indicate this guy has made some poor trades. If that is obvious in retrospect, then I would suggest to him (if I knew him) that before he accepts or makes a trade offer, that he run it by some friends who know FF or at the very least do a posting in the AC forum. And by the way, Jeff Tefertiller of the staff is great with finding time to help people with his Wannabee Strategy Thread there. My point is that there are knowledgable people willing to give free advice if one is willing to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread