What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Final Letterman shows (3 Viewers)

He's too pervy and creepy. And his band leader sidekick is always too eager to kiss his butt.

The new generation of hosts is far better.
Dave is the best interviewer late night television has ever seen.

He's too pervy and creepy. And his band leader sidekick is always too eager to kiss his butt.

I still don't like his personality. He's just slimy. It's uncomfortable every time he kisses (or tries to kiss) a female guest. :shudder:

I still don't like his personality. He's just slimy. It's uncomfortable every time he kisses (or tries to kiss) a female guest. :shudder:
And he did cheat on his wife multiple times with different women. Slimy is an appropriate word for him I think.

I always liked Letterman, even in the old Carson days I preferred staying up late and watching letterman.

The last few years, ten years even, got kind of weird. He kind of became a grouchy old man. Fell back on the same bits too much, got WAY too politically angry and nasty, drug in all kinds of personal baggage on the show. I found him funny because he was original, a bit of a rule breaker, didn't take himself very seriously. As he got older he got crankier and just wasn't as funny, kind of sad.

I've seen some clips from these last couple of weeks, i would probably enjoy it but I tuned out years ago.
I like cranky old Dave, in part because I'm old and cranky myself but mostly because it's such a contrast with the obsequiousness of the current generation of hosts. Fallon wouldn't know an edge if he fell off of it.
You got to play to your strengths -- Letterman isn't needy and is a skeptic by nature. Fallon's charm is that he's having a great time and really wants (needs) everyone else to have a great time too.

What happened to Rupert G the deli guy?

And, Stephanie Birkitt should be on there... in the audience or something.

Another thing that bugged me about the Stern appearance was his "gift". He gave a Stern painting to Dave's wife. What a ####### joke. No way that Dave's wife ever sees that painting. Straight to the garbage.

I read that Kimmel was saying growing up Letterman was like Jesus to him. And although I wouldn't call any celebrity Jesus, when I was growing up, I was one of Letterman's biggest fans. I remember the morning show (with Mrs. Marv Mendenhall and Edwin Newman) and being really sad when it was canceled. I remember watching a lot of the flash back scenes they have shown the past few weeks from over the years when they originally aired. I used to record every episode and never missed his show when it was on NBC.

I don't typically care when a celebrity starts spouting their political views, like Springsteen, I don't care if he campaigns for a particular candidate, I love his music. But there was something about the way Letterman came out and started vilifying the Bush Administration and since then has done nothing but mock all politicians on the right - his show turned me off.

I started watching each of these final episodes this month and although Bill Murray was ok, last night, most of the last couple of weeks has reminded me why I stopped watching. He's just dull.

Having said all that, the 10-12 minutes that Norm MacDonald did last week - was the best of the best.

I read that Kimmel was saying growing up Letterman was like Jesus to him. And although I wouldn't call any celebrity Jesus, when I was growing up, I was one of Letterman's biggest fans. I remember the morning show (with Mrs. Marv Mendenhall and Edwin Newman) and being really sad when it was canceled. I remember watching a lot of the flash back scenes they have shown the past few weeks from over the years when they originally aired. I used to record every episode and never missed his show when it was on NBC.

I don't typically care when a celebrity starts spouting their political views, like Springsteen, I don't care if he campaigns for a particular candidate, I love his music. But there was something about the way Letterman came out and started vilifying the Bush Administration and since then has done nothing but mock all politicians on the right - his show turned me off.

I started watching each of these final episodes this month and although Bill Murray was ok, last night, most of the last couple of weeks has reminded me why I stopped watching. He's just dull.

Having said all that, the 10-12 minutes that Norm MacDonald did last week - was the best of the best.
Letterman was always my favorite, too.

I think you're off base on the political stuff. Letterman always struck me as an equal opportunity comic, making jokes about every president, regardless of party.

For those who watched Letterman's 2nd-to-last show last night with Bill Murray, my wife was the one that Bill Murray smeared cake on and kissed and I'm the guy laughing and clapping next to her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW8MY9CD-tQ

My wife and I hail from Indianapolis (Dave's hometown), we're both Ball State grads and I was in the same fraternity (Sigma Chi) at Ball State. Attending a Late Night taping has always been on our bucket list. My wife logged into the Late Night web site almost daily for the past few months requesting tickets and I finally received a call from an audience coordinator late Thursday afternoon. We scrambled to book airfare and find a hotel on short notice and flew into NYC yesterday morning. We had NO IDEA that we'd end up in the front row. Dave did his monologue about 10-15' in front of us. And the 15 seconds (maybe 5?!) seconds of fame was a once in a lifetime experience.

Here's another article from Gawker. That's me in mid-clap whe Bill Murray is smooching my wife:

http://gawker.com/bill-murray-kissed-and-fed-cake-to-blessed-woman-on-ton-1705691443

It's been a whirlwind 24 hours. We're at LaGuardia now waiting to board our flight back to Indianapolis.

I think you're off base on the political stuff. Letterman always struck me as an equal opportunity comic, making jokes about every president, regardless of party.
Bahahaha......... no freaking chance. His hatred of the Right turned me off big time.

Jay Leno was an equal opportunity basher as is Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel.

It was quite obvious that Letterman hated the Right

For those who watched Letterman's 2nd-to-last show last night with Bill Murray, my wife was the one that Bill Murray smeared cake on and kissed and I'm the guy laughing and clapping next to her.

My wife and I hail from Indianapolis (Dave's hometown), we're both Ball State grads and I was in the same fraternity (Sigma Chi) at Ball State. Attending a Late Night taping has always been on our bucket list. My wife logged into the Late Night web site almost daily for the past few months requesting tickets and I finally received a call from an audience coordinator late Thursday afternoon. We scrambled to book airfare and find a hotel on short notice and flew into NYC yesterday morning. We had NO IDEA that we'd end up in the front row. Dave did his monologue about 10-15' in front of us. And the 15 seconds (maybe 5?!) seconds of fame was a once in a lifetime experience.

Here's another article from Gawker. That's me in mid-clap whe Bill Murray is smooching my wife:

http://gawker.com/bill-murray-kissed-and-fed-cake-to-blessed-woman-on-ton-1705691443

It's been a whirlwind 24 hours. We're at LaGuardia now waiting to board our flight back to Indianapolis.
THAT. IS. AWESOME.

Letterman has similarities to the Simpsons for me in that both have churned out many years of mediocre stuff that I've ignored, but it doesn't diminish the golden years of these shows that I still enjoy as reruns or on youtube.

That's great stuff!!

:thumbup: So awesome. You got some Murray cake on your face, too...was it delicious?

Last edited by a moderator:
most of the last couple of weeks has reminded me why I stopped watching. He's just dull.
I'm the opposite. I think I just got bored of Dave's show about 5 years ago, but watching the past couple weeks makes me regret that I stopped watching.

I've always liked Jimmy Fallon, but I'm already getting sick of the same bits and him gushing over every guest.

Bahahaha......... no freaking chance. His hatred of the Right turned me off big time.

The show was practically a running Clinton/Lewinski joke for a year. I never saw it as going after the right or left, he just went after dumb no matter who it was, even if it was a celebrity there to plug something.

most of the last couple of weeks has reminded me why I stopped watching. He's just dull.
I'm the opposite. I think I just got bored of Dave's show about 5 years ago, but watching the past couple weeks makes me regret that I stopped watching.

I've always liked Jimmy Fallon, but I'm already getting sick of the same bits and him gushing over every guest.
Yep. I have not watched in some time but I think that has more to do with the landscape changing than anything else. Before the internet there was nothing like Dave's show. It was unlike anything that was on tv and tv was all there was at that time. Plus, celebrities and the entertainment industry in general has gotten so robotic in terms of how they promote stuff. It has become boring, it's so rare that someone gives you a glimpse of who they are, all you get is a boring story and a clip. I think Dave grew tired of that night after night. Easy to become disinterested sitting with the boring new hot thing promoting lousy projects. Guests used to be interesting, now they're afraid to do or say anything that could overshadow what they're there to promote. Nobody is real except for a select few.

Jack White said:
On The Rocks said:

You haven't been watching lately. He is using the end to slam the right and prop up the left big time. It's almost comical it's so obvious. And I'm on his side politically, but it's pretty annoying.

On The Rocks said:
Here's a little fun fact I discovered while checking out old and new Letterman clips today.

His introduction of Bill Murray on his first appearance in 1982....

Thanks for posting that. What a great great clip. It really shows these two guys at their very best. God was Bill Murray a ####### genius.I started watching Letterman a couple weeks in after this. Watched him every single night for those first 7 or 8 years, and then never watched him after that. Seeing that old set brought back a flood of memories. Nothing will ever top Late Night in the 80's. One of my favorite parts of a great decade.

shuke said:
On The Rocks said:

:goodposting:

In honor of the final show here is the unedited Kaufman/Lawler interview. I have to admit I laughed hard at the Melman production ending.
Oh my God, Larry Bud was my alltime favorite. The guy looked exactly like my Grandmother. She even had the big glass like that. Hal Gurney used him perfectly.
haha me too. We had an aunt who was spitting image, glasses and all and she loved Larry Bud. We used to tell her they looked alike.

Joe Summer said:
Mr%2EPack said:

https://youtu.be/cR7NqwFlQL8
One time in jest.Nowhere near the bashing of the right. Would have turned me off had he done the same thing to the left, just too political.
It amazes me how many threads in the FFA end up detouring into politics or religion from their original destination.

Users who are viewing this thread