What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Final Letterman shows (1 Viewer)

ShamrockPride said:
I respect Dave as an innovator of late night talk shows, but as he got older he lost the comedy aspects as he transitioned to a more political focused show. He just seemed like the old cranky guy who lost touch with his audience. Last night, I was kind of expecting a little more emotion (not quite as much as Jay, whose sendoff was truly moving), but it just seemed like he was eager to be done with it all and get off the stage.
Bill Carter, author of The Late Shift (a great read, by the way) was on Colin's show today and addressed this.

His take was that Dave always considered himself a broadcaster, first and foremost. He considered it a profession. So his apparent lack of outward emotion was his way of being the consummate professional to the very end.

ShamrockPride said:
I respect Dave as an innovator of late night talk shows, but as he got older he lost the comedy aspects as he transitioned to a more political focused show. He just seemed like the old cranky guy who lost touch with his audience. Last night, I was kind of expecting a little more emotion (not quite as much as Jay, whose sendoff was truly moving), but it just seemed like he was eager to be done with it all and get off the stage.
i think he became emblematic of his network and its audience.

The funniest thing I ever saw him do was the skit where he was directing the waiter and had him deliver a glass of water with his thumb in it. The diner complained saying that his finger was in the water and Dave had the waiter correct her saying it wasn't his finger but it was his thumb.

The funniest thing I ever saw him do was the skit where he was directing the waiter and had him deliver a glass of water with his thumb in it. The diner complained saying that his finger was in the water and Dave had the waiter correct her saying it wasn't his finger but it was his thumb.
Coming back with thumb in the water with the kitchen gloves on killed me.

I think my favorite thing on last night's show was the stuff with the kids.

John Bender said:
My god, Julia Louis Dreyfuss is smoking hot.
I was not aware until recently that she is a multi billionaire (or at least a huge stakeholder) from a family fortune. The money she made from Seinfeld was pocket change by comparison.

That was a top 10 Letterdude moment for me.Rupert Gee was the waiter. "We don't know what the hell we're doing here. We're just playing grab ### in the kitchen."

Top ten list was money.

old school Dave may be the best ever

I'd stay up to watch his late late show

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody post your dvr schedules for shuke because it's a hot issue for him apparently.
I have series finales of Criminal Minds, Bates Motel, and Stalker to watch. I have all the 2014 Jets games. I have E:60 on Matt Harvey and 30 for 30 on Christian Laettner to watch. I also have a few A Football Life episodes on there. I will watch these programs at some point in the future. I also have the last three Letterdude episodes on there but I watched two of the three already.

Biggest laugh on the finale was an old clip of Dave asking the chubby kid if he was really into science. Chubby kid just lifts arms all nonplussed, "yeah?"

Everybody post your dvr schedules for shuke because it's a hot issue for him apparently.
Just curious how someone who can't stay up to watch this legend's final show (at 10:30 central time even) ever got into it in the first place.

Just curious how someone who can't stay up to watch this legend's final show (at 10:30 central time even) ever got into it in the first place.
First off, its easy to watch it the next day at work. :pickle:

But for me, I get up at 5:30, to get to work a little after 6, so its too late now. When I watched it regularly, I worked 8-4.

Things change?
1991 EG was finishing schoolwork/work at 10-11 PM most nights and was often parked in front of a TV watching Letterman at 12:30 with a six pack and doing bong rips with his buddies.

2015 EG has to be up at 6 AM and DVRs anything that starts 11 PM or later Sun-Thurs.

Things change?
1991 EG was finishing schoolwork/work at 10-11 PM most nights and was often parked in front of a TV watching Letterman at 12:30 with a six pack and doing bong rips with his buddies.

2015 EG has to be up at 6 AM and DVRs anything that starts 11 PM or later Sun-Thurs.
2015 EG sounds like a ##### referring to himself in the 3rd person. :thumbdown:

Things change?

2015 EG sounds like a ##### referring to himself in the 3rd person. :thumbdown:
2015 EG invites you to eat him.

3ot hockey game the night before and a newborn daughterStaying up isn't an issue. I just don't watch commercials. Don't really care about watching most things live.

I have series finales of Criminal Minds, Bates Motel, and Stalker to watch. I have all the 2014 Jets games. I have E:60 on Matt Harvey and 30 for 30 on Christian Laettner to watch. I also have a few A Football Life episodes on there. I will watch these programs at some point in the future. I also have the last three Letterdude episodes on there but I watched two of the three already.
Criminal Minds is not done. It's back next year.

I don't see what is wrong with watching the show at 7am the next day? I did this in the 80s with VCR tapes, I did it the last 2 weeks with DVR.

I'd rather not stay up until 1am when it makes no difference.

I'm East Coast 43 with two kids and get up at 530 in the morningIused to watch his Late Late Show live when I was in my twenties

:shrug:

Not everyone is on your cushy schedule. I was up at 4am on Thursday and wasn't going to stay up to watch it live. The DVR is there to make my life more convenient and also to help me avoid having to be on someone else's schedule. Don't know why that's hard for you to comprehend.

Hu-Tang Clan said:
Criminal Minds is not done. It's back next year.
Yes, that is what I meant to write.

I used to watch Letterman a lot in the mid 80s to early nineties.

Most memorable episodes for me were the Crispin Glover freakout and Dave's look when Cher took the stage with most of her butt showing.

Wish I had DVRed the last few weeks.

I missed then end too due to dvr issue. I watched the "farewell" on YouTube. Was there anything after that other than the foo fighters?
Yes. Dave came back on stage and danced the waltz with a constantly changing hologram of all the famous deceased guests. Hauntingly beautiful and unforgettable.

3ot hockey game the night before and a newborn daughterStaying up isn't an issue. I just don't watch commercials. Don't really care about watching most things live.
Got you riled up, Jack.

So you don't understand how someone who doesn't watch Letterman in 2015 didn't get into Letterman in the 80's? That's your issue?

So you don't understand how someone who doesn't watch Letterman in 2015 didn't get into Letterman in the 80's? That's your issue?
I believe he is speaking to the fans, the ones who watched religiously in the time before dvr's, who stayed up past 1am to watch, how they couldn't be bothered to watch the final show as it aired. To me his comment is a poignant statement on people changing and getting older. There was a time when the show was a nightly commitment for a certain segment of people and he's asking if those same people can't commit to one final night how they ever committed at all. i agree with him. I had to stay up for the final show because couldn't imagine missing it. Watching a daily comedy/talk show like that later on just isn't the same, especially that one. It's the difference between eating bread right out of the over or days later. Daily shows like that get stale fast.

It's sad to think that the era of Letterman is over. It didn't really hit me until the show ended, seeing the set being thrown in the dumpster. Even though I hadn't watched as much as I used to it was comforting to know he was still on the air. For some of us, he was our guy. His sense of comedy spoke to us and he was the first who did. There's nobody out there like him. hopefully somebody steps up to fill the void.

I believe he is speaking to the fans, the ones who watched religiously in the time before dvr's, who stayed up past 1am to watch, how they couldn't be bothered to watch the final show as it aired. To me his comment is a poignant statement on people changing and getting older. There was a time when the show was a nightly commitment for a certain segment of people and he's asking if those same people can't commit to one final night how they ever committed at all. i agree with him. I had to stay up for the final show because couldn't imagine missing it. Watching a daily comedy/talk show like that later on just isn't the same, especially that one. It's the difference between eating bread right out of the over or days later. Daily shows like that get stale fast.

It's sad to think that the era of Letterman is over. It didn't really hit me until the show ended, seeing the set being thrown in the dumpster. Even though I hadn't watched as much as I used to it was comforting to know he was still on the air. For some of us, he was our guy. His sense of comedy spoke to us and he was the first who did. There's nobody out there like him. hopefully somebody steps up to fill the void.
:lmao:

Really enjoyed the finale.

Great combo of montages of great past moments, excellent final Top 10, and Dave sincerely thanking everyone from the show and his family. That reserved level of sentimentality is exactly in line with the person Dave has shown us over the years. No pretense. No schmaltz. Was anyone expecting him to cry or something? I thought it was a great send off.

Really enjoyed the finale.

Great combo of montages of great past moments, excellent final Top 10, and Dave sincerely thanking everyone from the show and his family. That reserved level of sentimentality is exactly in line with the person Dave has shown us over the years. No pretense. No schmaltz. Was anyone expecting him to cry or something? I thought it was a great send off.
I guess I was expecting more live bits. Something explosive. Not so many taped retrospectives. A final chance to do the live stuff that made him great. So when I first watched it I was a little let down. After watching it a few more times I've changed my tune. The taped bit with the kids was great as was the day in the life of the show, which was fascinating. The final montage was great too.

Users who are viewing this thread