What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Final Letterman shows (1 Viewer)

He's too pervy and creepy. And his band leader sidekick is always too eager to kiss his butt.

The new generation of hosts is far better.
Dave is the best interviewer late night television has ever seen.
If you are talking about all of late night TV, Johnny Carson trumps Letterman hands down. Agreed Paul Shaffer has always been creepy even though he has talent. Johnny, Ed and Doc will always be #1, period X 100+

Love Fallon's appeal to the normal joe's and the regular guy/gal bit, but have a feeling this will get old and he will get stale.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's too pervy and creepy. And his band leader sidekick is always too eager to kiss his butt.

I still don't like his personality. He's just slimy. It's uncomfortable every time he kisses (or tries to kiss) a female guest. :shudder:
Your face is slimy and uncomfortable.

i've been spending the last hour or so on Youtube looking at a bunch of Dave's clips from the NBC days. crazy good stuff there.

If you are talking about all of late night TV, Johnny Carson trumps Letterman hands down. Agreed Paul Shaffer has always been creepy even though he has talent. Johnny, Ed and Doc will always be #1, period X 100+

Love Fallon's appeal to the normal joe's and the regular guy/gal bit, but have a feeling this will get old and he will get stale.
Artie Fufkin is not asking, he is telling you to kick his ###.

Wow...guys, we're getting old...past our prime. A world without Letterman after the nightly local news is a world where we're looking in the rearview mirror.

:cry:

i've been spending the last hour or so on Youtube looking at a bunch of Dave's clips from the NBC days. crazy good stuff there.
Love the velcro suit and throwing stuff off the building.
The bits with Chris Elliott as Fugitive Guy, Regulator Guy, Brando, Marv Albert and The Guy Under the Stairs are awesome. I'm instantly a kid again watching them.
Love Chris Elliot - skink the bounty hunter

Very nice sendoff. I regret not watching his show more often in recent years (as in, never), but there always seems to be a game or something going on.

Very nice sendoff. I regret not watching his show more often in recent years (as in, never), but there always seems to be a game or something going on.
I was a huge fan as a teen, and through the NBC years. Way went onto way, and the times I watched him in the 2000s he either seemed bitter or like he was phoning it in. Top 10 lists were a great bit in the 80s - but their remaining represented a lack in innovation, and resting on laurels. I was a monster fan of Carson... Felt he was the most famous person alive, king of kings of celebrities. But I think Kimmel and Fallon are the most entertaining, likable and consistently clever talk show hosts I've seen.

Much respect to Dave and Carson as pioneers, and legends. As far as I'm personally concerned, Dave could have ridden into the sunset in 1999, and he would have had more of my nostalgia.

I remember when Carson retired and thinking...wow....30 years! (1962-1992) That's quite a legendary run. And I only watched Carson for the last 15 years of his run.

Then Letterman comes along and I hop on that train from the first time it leaves the station, and he's just always been there. It's funny that his gig ran 3 years longer than Carson, but Carson still seems like he lasted for a lifetime longer.

I thought last nights show was ok, and I guess it was more a way for him to thank the fans and the staff than anything else.

I loved the closing montage of photos. It was like watching my life pass before my eyes.

Oh.....and the Sting intro to the next show was pretty above average.

Overall this past week didn't have a lot of really memorable highlights for me, but the Norm MacDonald set and the Rupert G clip was amazingly funny IMHO.

The show went 17 minutes long and my DVR stopped at the normal time. :kicksrock:
I know, bummer. Thankfully I randomly rolled over in the middle of the night and saw that it had stopped recording, but the show was still on. Was able to catch the last 10 minutes or so.

The new guys are basically just doing celebrity worship. You don't really get to know the guests, you just get to watch them be gushed over by the host. Dave had a good BS detector, going on his show would be a scary endeavor.
I was a big Fallon fan when he first started on the Tonight Show. But now, it just seems played out. Everything he does is just trying to have the next viral video. The show seems more about the people he brings on then himself. You watched Letterman for Letterman, you watch Fallon to see what the celebrity on that night's show will do next. I feel like there's only so many random games for Fallon to play with each celeb before everyone gets bored with it. Kimmel is pretty good and I'm interested to see what Colbert has in store.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the 80's Dave was so much better than the last two decades.
The 12:30a slot as much as the era - Reagan's America, NYC in flux, NBC's place in the ratings, etc - seemed to let Dave be so much more loose than he was through much of his CBS tenure. He was mostly mailing it in (boredom? creatively tapped out? network constraints? who knows really?) over the last several years but then again so was Carson. It's a brutal job, I think, and he did it his way.

David Letterman is a comedic legend to me. He didn't really give two ####s about what people thought about his particular brand of humor. He did his show doing things that made himself laugh. Personally I find all of his various bits like the Taco Bell stunts, stuffing a jamba juice full of spidermen, and Will it Float hilarious.

David Letterman is a comedic legend to me. He didn't really give two ####s about what people thought about his particular brand of humor. He did his show doing things that made himself laugh. Personally I find all of his various bits like the Taco Bell stunts, stuffing a jamba juice full of spidermen, and Will it Float hilarious.
that is one of the rare bits that felt like "Late Night" Dave.

I respect Dave as an innovator of late night talk shows, but as he got older he lost the comedy aspects as he transitioned to a more political focused show. He just seemed like the old cranky guy who lost touch with his audience. Last night, I was kind of expecting a little more emotion (not quite as much as Jay, whose sendoff was truly moving), but it just seemed like he was eager to be done with it all and get off the stage.

I watched the guy after Dave for a little bit for the first time last night. I don't even know his name. A lot of the show was paying homage to Dave. He played part of this clip of Dave asking drummers "Are those your drums?". Had me rolling. In all my years of watching I never caught this. Don't know if it's shtick or Dave is really into drum sets.

I watched the guy after Dave for a little bit for the first time last night. I don't even know his name. A lot of the show was paying homage to Dave. He played part of this clip of Dave asking drummers "Are those your drums?". Had me rolling. In all my years of watching I never caught this. Don't know if it's shtick or Dave is really into drum sets.
That's how I've been referring to him all day today.

Thanks for posting the "those your drums" clip. I missed it. Good stuff!

shuke said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
shuke said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
shuke said:
If you can't stay up to watch his final show, when the hell did you ever watch?
whenever I wanted to. that's the point of a DVR.
So you normally DVR the Late Show?
I have been for the last few weeks. Yes.
What about prior to that?
no. I only watched when he had a good guest on from time to time in the last few years.

Users who are viewing this thread