What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Final Roster Cuts - post significant & semi-significant cuts. (1 Viewer)

Jake Ballard - cut

Daniel Fells - cut
IIRC these two were touted here with all the Hernandez news. I'm kind of curious if this actually hurt some dynasty folks.

Ballard was cut by the Gmen and picked up by the Pats. I didn't see the reason to fall in love with him on the Pats, but I did get offered a trade that day. I don't recall what, but still....curious if this hurt any FF teams. It's shocking how much the rookies have changed the perception of the Pats offense in just a few months.

Mill Journal is speculating Johnathan Franklin could be cut?
Gotta link for that? I haven't seen any speculation regarding Franklin being on the bubble.
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel hints Packers fourth-round RB Johnathan Franklin's roster spot isn't assured.
Beat writer Tom Silverstein believes Franklin "had to show something" in Thursday's preseason finale to secure his spot. Franklin gained just 23 yards on eight carries, but per Silverstein, he "followed his blocks better." Franklin has been one of the biggest busts of the summer, but we highly doubt the Packers will throw in the towel so quickly. Aug 30 - 12:24 PM
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

I would assume his roster spot if fairly safe, but he really hasn't shown anything to warrant that.
Funny (I drafted him and have my own egg on my face but) he's not that big a bust being a fourth rounder yet the reporters that praised him are now forced to call him as such. Fourth round means less even since they started doing compensatory picks.
Franklin was going in the bottom of the 1st round in many rookie drafts. Not usually is this high of a pick declared a borderline bust so soon.

Gotta link for that? I haven't seen any speculation regarding Franklin being on the bubble.
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel hints Packers fourth-round RB Johnathan Franklin's roster spot isn't assured.
Beat writer Tom Silverstein believes Franklin "had to show something" in Thursday's preseason finale to secure his spot. Franklin gained just 23 yards on eight carries, but per Silverstein, he "followed his blocks better." Franklin has been one of the biggest busts of the summer, but we highly doubt the Packers will throw in the towel so quickly. Aug 30 - 12:24 PM

I would assume his roster spot if fairly safe, but he really hasn't shown anything to warrant that.
Funny (I drafted him and have my own egg on my face but) he's not that big a bust being a fourth rounder yet the reporters that praised him are now forced to call him as such. Fourth round means less even since they started doing compensatory picks.
Franklin was going in the bottom of the 1st round in many rookie drafts. Not usually is this high of a pick declared a borderline bust so soon.
Yeah I see that, it's just we hyped him, shot ourselves in the foot.

I had said in the duplicate thread I mis-posted...

Mike Thomas; surprising how quick he seemed to fall out of the league being cut by both the Lions and Cards this summer yet the picks he was traded for haven't even all materialized yet.
His fall is still baffling to me. His arrow was pointing up after 2010 season. He got his contract and completely lost it after that.

Bri said:
Casting Couch said:
Bri said:
Go Blue said:
KingPrawn said:
FDC said:

The same thing happened with Zac Stacy and Da'Rick Rogers. The lesson should be not to spend high rookie picks on guys who were late rounders in the NFL draft. Not only is there a reason that they fell, but NFL draft status imparts a prospect with a bit of inertia to protect against sudden shocks in value. If Gio Bernard had a crappy preseason, his value wouldn't drop much. When Jonathan Franklin does it, his draft value is going to tank by a round or more.

Bri said:
Casting Couch said:
Bri said:
Go Blue said:
KingPrawn said:
FDC said:

The same thing happened with Zac Stacy and Da'Rick Rogers. The lesson should be not to spend high rookie picks on guys who were late rounders in the NFL draft. Not only is there a reason that they fell, but NFL draft status imparts a prospect with a bit of inertia to protect against sudden shocks in value. If Gio Bernard had a crappy preseason, his value wouldn't drop much. When Jonathan Franklin does it, his draft value is going to tank by a round or more.
True, but then you have the AJ Jenkins' and DHB's of the world who are NFL first round picks, but should not be drafted fantasy wise as such.

Bri said:
Casting Couch said:
Bri said:
Go Blue said:
KingPrawn said:
FDC said:

True, but then you have the AJ Jenkins' and DHB's of the world who are NFL first round picks, but should not be drafted fantasy wise as such.
Also true, but that's with the benefit of hindsight. Many people thought Cam Newton should not have been drafted as a 1st round pick, too. Chris Johnson seems to have fallen awfully far for a 1st round RB. Demaryius Thomas wasn't a very sexy rookie pick, as most people were too busy blaming him for not being Dez.

I haven't really looked into it, but my gut feeling is that if you gathered all of the guys who were drafted high, but lightly regarded by the fantasy community (Jenkins, DHB, Newton, Demaryius), and all of the guys who were drafted low, but highly regarded by the fantasy community (Stacy, Rogers), the former group would tend to outperform the latter. I'll make a note to take a look at it next offseason.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
And now this...

New England Patriots announced that they have released 10 players today. The Patriots released five veteran players: TE Jake Ballard, DE Marcus Benard, TE Daniel Fells, WR Johnathan Haggerty and LB Mike Rivera. The Patriots released one first-year players: and OL Luke Patterson. The Patriots released four rookie free agents: FB Ben Bartholomew, DL Gilbert Peña, OL Matt Stankiewitch and DL Scott Vallone
http://www.patriots.com/news/article-1/Patriots-release-10-players/b63deba9-fa0d-4bcb-8cd8-fb7413479f85

Someone's missing.....

Oh yeah Sims made the team.
Pats are only down to 65 players. They still have 12 more moves to make by tomorrow.

And Ballard's knee never really got fully healthy, but a lot of people are surprised the Pats didn't try to find some way to keep him (PUP or IR).

Well bite my tongue. Heard already that Cierre Wood was making the team, but now a Houston broadcaster is saying Deji Karim was waived.

Bri said:
Casting Couch said:
Jake Ballard - cut

Daniel Fells - cut
IIRC these two were touted here with all the Hernandez news. I'm kind of curious if this actually hurt some dynasty folks.Ballard was cut by the Gmen and picked up by the Pats. I didn't see the reason to fall in love with him on the Pats, but I did get offered a trade that day. I don't recall what, but still....curious if this hurt any FF teams. It's shocking how much the rookies have changed the perception of the Pats offense in just a few months.
I picked up Ballard in a dynasty league before the Hernandez story broke as a hedge against Gronkowski's injury. But, I cut him as part of our cutdowns last week. Just extra roster fodder during the off-season.

Bri said:
Casting Couch said:
Bri said:
Go Blue said:
KingPrawn said:
FDC said:

Yes. This. For this reason I have Christine Michael instead of Stacy and Marquise Goodwin instead of Rogers.

NFL cut tracker

Not shocked to see Winfield cut in Seattle. Thurmond was one of the stars of camp. Seattle has five starter-worthy CBs on their roster without Winfield (Sherman, Browner, Thurmond, Lane, and Maxwell).

Well bite my tongue. Heard already that Cierre Wood was making the team, but now a Houston broadcaster is saying Deji Karim was waived.
Not saying I doubt you but I am not seeing this news anywhere.

This link appears to have been updated at about 10PM lastnight,

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000233304/article/roster-cuts-for-all-32-nfl-teams
I haven't seen the Deji Karim part anywhere else yet either, though John McClain also said Wood made the team. Here's the original tweet:

https://twitter.com/BobAllenKHOU/status/373578372288233472

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that Trufant is really done if he can't even make the Jags? Still, as an Eagles' fan, he and Winfield are still interesting to me.

Anyone catch the tweet from Lawrence Tynes wife?

Amanda Tyneshttps://twitter.com/AmandaTynes9 @AmandaTynes9https://twitter.com/AmandaTynes9

The Bucs informed my husband via EMAIL that he will be placed on NFI. Wouldn't expect anything more from such a classy organization. #blkout
So she is taking to twitter after her husband was cut via email? Sounds like a ficticional reason why white people riot.
Being put on the Non-football injury (NFI) list isn't being cut.

Anyone catch the tweet from Lawrence Tynes wife?

Amanda Tyneshttps://twitter.com/AmandaTynes9 @AmandaTynes9

The Bucs informed my husband via EMAIL that he will be placed on NFI. Wouldn't expect anything more from such a classy organization. #blkouthttps://twitter.com/search?q=#blkout&src=hash
So she is taking to twitter after her husband was placed on NFI via email? Companies regularly use email to inform employees of things. Sounds like a ficticional reason why white people riot.
Being put on the Non-football injury (NFI) list isn't being cut.
Didn't read it thoroughly I guess. Fixed and time for more coffee

Packets released Vince Young
He looked solid in the Seattle game. That's all I saw. From reading the conversations of Packer fans it seemed a lock he would win the backup job. Am I wrong here?
No..thought he would be.I don't think Coleman is ready...or good...and trusting a recent cut who doesn't know the system?

Unless they think they can get Flynn back for nothing.

Let's face it, Green Bay's entire offense is geared around Rodgers. Regardless of who they have backing him up, their season is pretty much over if he loses significant time. No sense paying for a veteran like Young when you can draft a 7th rounder to hand off to John Kuhn 3 downs in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:
He looked solid in the Seattle game. That's all I saw. From reading the conversations of Packer fans it seemed a lock he would win the backup job. Am I wrong here?
No..thought he would be.I don't think Coleman is ready...or good...and trusting a recent cut who doesn't know the system?

WOW, what? I thought Young played great given his lack of time to get the system down.

Totally shocked as a Packers fan they cut both Harrell and Young.

WOW, what? I thought Young played great given his lack of time to get the system down.

Totally shocked as a Packers fan they cut both Harrell and Young.
Kind of strange no doubt. Maybe they are working to get Flynn back or something.

Let's face it, Green Bay's entire offense is geared around Rodgers. Regardless of who they have backing him up, their season is pretty much over if he loses significant time. No sense paying for a veteran like Young when you can draft a 7th rounder to hand off to John Kuhn 3 downs in a row.
We know the season is over if Rodgers has a major injury, but what if he misses one game like two years ago? We need a serviceable backup that can keep the game competitive. Flynn did a great job against New England when Rodgers missed a game due to an eye injury. They did lose, but not by much. Coleman offers no chance whatsoever to win games with Rodgers out. At least with Young they would be able to catch a defense off-guard for a week or two because of his running ability. I thought he did really well on the bread and butter of recent Packer plays... the roll-out. He had some good passes and runs off the play-action. Totally shocked he was cut, at the price they could have kept him.

Users who are viewing this thread