What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Final Roster Cuts - post significant & semi-significant cuts. (1 Viewer)

Peter King‏@SI_PeterKing35m

Shame for Vince Young is he doesn't qualify for practice squad. I think McCarthy might have kept him for the year to see if he'd develop.
:lol: Hasn't he has been in the league for 7 years? if he hasn't developed by now, I believe it is too late.

Packets released Vince Young
He looked solid in the Seattle game. That's all I saw. From reading the conversations of Packer fans it seemed a lock he would win the backup job. Am I wrong here?
I only saw a few plays of his from the game. But the reports are that he wasn't able to run the offense, was just improvising. They were coming out before his actual release.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/john-kuhn-could-be-go-to-man-on-3rd-downs-b9987460z1-221889711.html

It all depends: Vince Young looked worse on tape than he did live in Kansas City.

On a night when he wasn't calling plays, McCarthy saw it all from 25 yards away. Based on his words and demeanor afterward, it would appear the Packers are having serious reservations.

No matter what Young can do with his legs, no quarterback can last in Green Bay unless he pays close attention to detail and executes.

On Thursday night, 31/2 weeks after his signing, Young couldn't execute the offense. Period.

Will the Packers release Young and start over with the best of Saturday's retreads?

"They have to," one NFL personnel director said Friday night after reviewing the Kansas City tape. "He stinks. Looks like he can't retain the plays. He freelances."

The other question is if McCarthy even would want mistake-prone B.J. Coleman on the practice squad.

Charles Johnson, GBP waived:

(Rotoworld) Packers waived WR Charles Johnson. Analysis: Johnson has Juliosh measurables, but was hurt for most of camp and struggled in the rare instances he practiced. Perhaps the Packers will try to re-sign him to the practice squad. Johnson seems likely to clear waivers.

Totally shocked as a Packers fan they cut both Harrell and Young.
I was more shocked that they cut Harrel than Young. They invested a lot of time into Harrel and IMO he played better this preseason than he had in past years.
Me too. I wonder if they aren't working on a trade. I can't imagine they're going to sit with what they have.

Or maybe it's..... TEBOW TIME!
Yes, please. The comedic value would be so worth it.

Tauren Poole waived:

(Rotoworld) Panthers waived RB Tauren Poole. Analysis: Poole lost out to Armond Smith, who will slide in as the No. 4 RB behind DeAngelo Williams, Mike Tolbert and Kenjon Barner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone catch the tweet from Lawrence Tynes wife?

Amanda Tyneshttps://twitter.com/AmandaTynes9 @AmandaTynes9

The Bucs informed my husband via EMAIL that he will be placed on NFI. Wouldn't expect anything more from such a classy organization. #blkout
So she is taking to twitter after her husband was cut via email? Sounds like a ficticional reason why white people riot.
Being put on the Non-football injury (NFI) list isn't being cut.
That's still so odd- kicker out with ingrown toenail.

Former dynasty darling Ramses Barden is out.
I'm curious if his great demeanor and huge frame will land him another job. He can catch a high thrown ball like a baseball player sticking his glove up there. He didn't seem to get any love during free agency and returned to the Giants, so he's probably done. He was coming along. A couple years back, he had a few good games, but then got hurt and there's been next to nothing since.

Wonder if the Packers intend to bring Young back after week 1?
I think someone else will add him to their roster.
Yea, they gotta bring in another QB. I wonder who? Who's out there?

For those talking Flynn I don't think that's possible unless he gets cut by the Raiders, clears waivers, and the Packers are able to sign him (or he wants to come back).. His contract is currently too big for a backup.

Bri said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
And now this...

Oh yeah Sims made the team.
he did?

That's great I thought he'd get crunched out at the last minute.
Nope, he got cut today.

Like so many others, I thought this would happen weeks ago (in KT thread) and it did. Just too many young WRs.

The Patriots will be the luckiest team around if this guy clears waivers and can join their practice squad.

Every few days this summer, there's some reporter mentioning this no-name WR and then he closed out the preseason with two TDs.

They're not locked into a season long contract then and that's nice subtle pressure to keep on a guy that often misbehaves or loses focus. If so, IMO, that's a good plan.

Harrell was signed by the Jets a week or so ago. I haven't seen him cut yet.

He's a future coach-at what level I don't know, but between his time with the Browns and Packers he coached at Oklahoma State and they loved him. His football intelligence is very high and he has a knack for teaching.

He's a future coach-at what level I don't know, but between his time with the Browns and Packers he coached at Oklahoma State and they loved him. His football intelligence is very high and he has a knack for teaching.
Radio unofficially reporting McElroy will be cut, so, if true, that could leave an opening if they want to keep four QBs.

Jets also cut Dan Carpenter. Is that his 3rd cut already?

This does not qualify as significant for fantasy purposes butvthe 9ers cut long snapper Brian Jennings one game short of breaking the franchise record for consecutive starts. He went out with class. I don't remember a bad snap in 13 years.

Long-snapper Brian Jennings figured to set the franchise record for most consecutive games played when the 49ers open the regular season next Sunday against the Green Bay Packers.

But in a shocking move on cut day, the 49ers went with undrafted rookie Kevin McDermott to take the job Jennings held for the past 13 years.

Jennings, 36, a seventh-round draft pick in 2000, ends his 49ers career with 208 consecutive regular-season games, tying offensive lineman Len Rohde (1960-74) for the club record.

After he was released Saturday morning, Jennings issued a statement to CSNBayArea.com:

Today, I feel as though I've been honorably discharged from the team I love.

First, I'd like to thank the York family: Dr. York, Denise, Jed, Tony, Jenna and Mara. You have blessed my life. God bless you.

I'd like to thank the men who brought me to the team and trusted me to contribute: Bill Walsh, John McVay and Bill McPherson.

To the various coaches that I played for, thank you, specifically, the first staff led by head coach Steve Mariucci. It was that group that taught me how to be a pro.

In addition, I'd like to thank this most recent staff, led by coach Jim Harbaugh, who has returned the 49ers to playing dominant football. I love this game and these men are true football men.

I'd like to thank my teammates who are my brothers and heroes. Some of them who had the greatest influence on me and my closest friends include: Ray Brown, Garrison Hearst, Derrick Deese, Ken Norton Jr., Jeff Garcia, Derek Smith, John Engelberger, Jeff Ulbrich, Julian Peterson, Eric Johnson, Terry Jackson, Brandon Lloyd, Frank Gore, Mike Robinson, Joe Nedney, Andy Lee and Vernon Davis.

Currently, the team is full of men who are more than capable of not only carrying on a tradition of winning but bringing championships back to the 49ers.

In a very real way I learned to be a man while with the 49ers -- molded through the preparation and performance of game day, completely tested while on and off the field this game, this team and this group of men made me who I am today.

God has blessed me, protected me and guided my path. Now, as I move on, I have faith that God will continue to do for me what He has done my entire life.

God bless you and God bless the San Francisco 49ers.

Eagles cut WR Russell Sheppard & TE/WR Clay Harbor

Worth noting, also cut 2011 first round pick OG Danny Watkins.

Sheppard was on the bubble along with Greg Salas. Looks like Salas is safe.

Redskins cut Jawan Jamison and Keiland Williams, looks like they like Chris Thompson enough to stick. Really surprised by Dwyer, feel that is a bad move just off of Bell's injury and the way he looked in preseason.

Radio unofficially reporting McElroy will be cut, so, if true, that could leave an opening if they want to keep four QBs.

Jets also cut Dan Carpenter. Is that his 3rd cut already?
four QBs isn't really practical.

In the last decade or so we've seen many teams shift from three to two, I can't imagine it going to four. Even when many of these teams had two, they also had one on the practice squad.

Brad Smith-a QB that can play other spots; that'd be fine like in years past. He, BTW, could sign an injury settlement and play again this year. Sore ribs is not exactly a normal out for the year injury.

I'll be surprised if the Jets have four heading into the season

NFL.com is listing Salas as one of the cuts to 53 also.

NFL.com is listing Salas as one of the cuts to 53 also.
Yeah that's a surprise. The general thinking was they were competing for the same roster spot. Here's what phillymag.com has to say about it:

Greg Salas, WR – His release was a surprise. The Eagles decided to go with Jeff Maehl instead of him for the fifth and final wide receiver spot. I had both Salas and Shepard making the roster, but in the end, both were released.

No team has carried 4 QBs on the 53-man roster since the league eliminated the Emergency Quarterback Rule. And even before then, it was extremely rare to have 4 QBs.
I was saying I doubt the Jets do, I guess you're agreeing here.

I don't think your fact is correct. Entering the year, I buy that, but there's been teams hit with injuries at QB, but those injuries would only be for a brief time so they signed a player to cover. During the season I imagine some team had four QBs briefly.

MoMass cut by the Jets. I thought this dude had some talent but if he can't even crack the Jets roster..

I'm pretty surprised by the Dwyer release. He looked good last year and in preseason action this year IMO. I knew PIT didn't like the idea of leaning on him but guess they didn't like the idea of him as a back-up either.

No team has carried 4 QBs on the 53-man roster since the league eliminated the Emergency Quarterback Rule. And even before then, it was extremely rare to have 4 QBs.

I don't think your fact is correct. Entering the year, I buy that, but there's been teams hit with injuries at QB, but those injuries would only be for a brief time so they signed a player to cover. During the season I imagine some team had four QBs briefly.
I don't think it happened in 2011 or 2012. I think the Steelers carried 4 QBs briefly in 2010 (before Dennis Dixon was put on IR).

edit: looks like the Redskins are keeping 4 QBs for the time being.

I actually don't mind it. They see something they like in all 4, and they are in desperate need of a capable QB. Why take the chance of cutting a future NFL starter to keep an extra below average linebacker?

When I suck at a particular position in fantasy, I carry as much potential, particularly at that position, to have a better chance at success in the future.

Lilja cut by the Broncos. I thought Manning begged him to come out of retirement after two other linemen got hurt. Well I guess he's not guaranteed anything

Users who are viewing this thread