What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

First time you catch your HS kid drinking (1 Viewer)

I don't have kids of my own--but I can tell you what my parents did that actually took the potential "fun" out of drinking for me when I was in high school.  They did give me the speech on the dangers of drinking and how it's something that I should absolutely avoid doing.  They also however mentioned that they understood that as a teenager that I would have a natural desire to rebel and try new things.  They essentially said--"if you want to drink--we have a bar at home--you drink here while we are home.   If you want friends to join you--I need to talk to their parents first and none of you will be driving.   Them essentially saying that I could drink at home with them essentially took the entire desire to want to drink away from me when I was in high school.  
Did anyone go through with this?

Severe punishment is an attempt to control the behavior of another.  Controlling another is a miserable full time job that destroys love and breeds resentment and rebellion.   Directing or encouraging behavior, guidance, presenting options, not so much. Give her a hug, tell her you are glad she made it safely home.  Let her know that she does not have to try everything all at once and that sometimes dipping one's toe in the water beats diving in, especially where the bottom is too shallow and there are gators. Let her know that you will never punish her or even give her a hard time if she calls you for a ride home or charges a cab or a ride back home.

So what's the punishment your wife and you are agreeing on? Kids are smart these days and will take advantage of the parent-friend type. ('but not my kid' lol)

I also told my daughter of 'don't ask, don't tell' if needs a ride home. Still, there needs to be consequences to actions known to be wrong. Lesser vs. harsher punishments.

Couple weeks no car or going out after xpm sounds about right to me considering the lying and the drinking. Loses August concert and more time if does again.

I'd advise her of the consequences if she were to get caught including losing the captain position in any and all sports, having to go to some sort of deviation program and quite possibly losing her license until she's 21 (at least I believe some states do this). 

My daughter just heard from her lacrosse coach that one of the seniors got caught drinking recently and the college she got a lacrosse scholarship from pulled it back. That's harsh. 

Of course most kids experiment with booze however it is worrysome that some of her friends have had their stomachs pumped. Usually birds of a feather flock together. So maybe she does it more than you think but she's good at hiding it(women are sly like that). I'd definately punish her. Take her phone maybe and no going out for 2 weeks. She needs to know you take this seriously and that you need to trust her and now she's damaged that trust.  

GL

I dont advise drinking, but this is the worrisome part IMO:

Some of her friends have been in trouble before, a couple of stomach-pumping, but she has stayed out of the fray.
Nah. That's just the weight loss program for the gymnastics team. 

Yeah, the fact that she felt she needed to lie to you about it is concerning.  HS kids are going to make mistakes, it's just something parents have to accept.  The goal is to minimize those mistakes and that can only be done if there's trust and communication going on.  You need to punish her for the lying, but if you do the whole summer punishment for this little thing like your wife was suggesting, then she's not going to tell you the truth next time either.  
This.  You cannot control their behavior by punishing them so much that they become even more sneaky.  There should always be a consequence when you catch them, but I preferred putting them to work around the house, and taking car privileges or phone over grounding them, or telling them they can't hang with certain friends (good luck enforcing that one). 

I have used an honest, communicative approach with my boys (now 21 and 19) to get them making good decisions, even when they do stupid things like drinking.  They aren't big party boys and have never been in trouble with the law, but I'm not naive either.  I have consistently told them that above all else, I love them, trust them, and that I want to keep them safe and will do anything to see that happen.  I also explain that there were natural consequences to their stupid actions which include death, injury, arrest, fines, damages, loss of job, and reputation damage and use the screw ups of others as teaching moments to put a real life spin on those consequences.  Whenever they leave the house and there is a chance of bad behavior, my last words are always something simple - "make good decisions", "look out for your friends", "don't compound a stupid decision (like drinking) with another stupid decision (driving, boating, other risky behavior)", "Now that you're an adult, don't ask me to bail you out" etc..  I text them periodically through the night (don't call - they won't answer and see it as being too invasive when their friends are around) to see where they are, who they are with, what they are up to, and when they will be home.  If they don't respond, I threaten to shut off their phone and that mysteriously opens up the lines of communication again.  I sign off by reinforcing one of the mantras I sent them out the door with.  Then I worry until they get home safe.    

DIdn't read the thread: 

Just about every HS kid I knew who was overly sheltered by hard-line parents ended up going ####### nuts in college. Like 80%. They also did all kinds of #### and hid it from their folks. 

My folks were pretty lax... took the "You shouldn't be drinking but we know you're going to, so keep it under control and be responsible/safe" approach. I respected that and kept a much more open line of communication with my them.  When I'd ask about a party they'd ask if there was going to be drinking... I'd tell them if there was... they'd ask if I had a plan to get a safe ride home... I did. Okay have fun and don't overdo it. If you play by the rules, no punishment. If you blow it... Punishment comes. 

Hell, half my freinds would cop to #### to my parents that they refused to tell their own parents because they'd lock them down for a month or two like your wife is proposing. 

HS kids are GOING to drink. You can try to stop the inevitable, and narrow the lines of communication... or you can be understanding, encourage responsibility, and be kept abreast of a large part of her "bad" behavior. 

I'm firmly in the latter camp. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked my parents approach.  They didn't mind me drinking, as long as it was just the guys, and I didn't overdo it or drive.  They told me not to drink around or be around girls that were drinking.  I hated it at the time, but now that I'm older, I get it.  

If it were my daughter, I'd defiantly have a similar rule.

She's a good kid, the honesty approach is the way to go. It sounds like she sincerely feels bad about the whole thing. Definite consequences but I would keep it light the first time. The friends/crowd are something she will live and learn from. Social stuff can be tough to navigate through teen years, especially with the "popular crowd". Hopefully she can learn from it especially in regard to what a good friend and a bad friend is. 

My plan is to keep open lines of communication. My hope is that by talking with them about drugs, alcohol, sex etc... I can answer their questions, take some of the curiosity and rebelliousness out of it and re-educate them when their friends inevitably give them bad info. I remember some of my friends dads doing this and it seemed like those guys were far less inclined to get into trouble.

I realize with all the guidance and advice in the world some kids are going to do it anyway and that's where the open lines of communication come in. If they get caught doing something I want them to come clean and I want to be able to have a conversation about it and I don't want to come down so hard that if they do find themselves in a situation again they won't reach out to me. 

I don't have a daughter, but my biggest fear would be her drinking some vodka, losing her ability to defend herself and someone taking advantage of that. If I were you, I'd have a very frank conversation: "honey, guys have ##### and they want to use them. If you are inebriated you become a much easier target. You need to realize this and be cautious because it only takes one time to create a memory that will haunt you for a lifetime. I sincerely hope you recognize that you're not ready to be using alcohol, but when you are of age and if you decide to drink, I need you to commit three things to me:

1. If you are drinking any hard liquor - drink very slowly. It takes a while to learn how quickly alcohol will affect you. 

2. Don't take a drink from anyone you don't trust completely.

3. don't be a wh0re

DIdn't read the thread: 

Just about every HS kid I knew who was overly sheltered by hard-line parents ended up going ####### nuts in college. Like 80%. They also did all kinds of #### and hid it from their folks. 

My folks were pretty lax... took the "You shouldn't be drinking but we know you're going to, so keep it under control and be responsible/safe" approach. I respected that and kept a much more open line of communication with my them.  When I'd ask about a party they'd ask if there was going to be drinking... I'd tell them if there was... they'd ask if I had a plan to get a safe ride home... I did. Okay have fun and don't overdo it. If you play by the rules, no punishment. If you blow it... Punishment comes. 

Hell, half my freinds would cop to #### to my parents that they refused to tell their own parents because they'd lock them down for a month or two like your wife is proposing. 

HS kids are GOING to drink. You can try to stop the inevitable, and narrow the lines of communication... or you can be understanding, encourage responsibility, and be kept abreast of a large part of her "bad" behavior. 

I was basically about to post this very same thing. Almost note for note. Well done.

Did anyone go through with this?
Not only did none of my friends go through with this--the beauty of my parents strategy is that I didn't even go through with it.  By making alcohol available to me (albeit in an environment with their mild to moderate supervision)--it essentially took the desire to want to drink away from me.  Telling a teenager that they shouldn't and can't do something can sometimes be a motivating factor for them to do exactly what you are telling them not to do.  

Not only did none of my friends go through with this--the beauty of my parents strategy is that I didn't even go through with it.  By making alcohol available to me (albeit in an environment with their mild to moderate supervision)--it essentially took the desire to want to drink away from me.  Telling a teenager that they shouldn't and can't do something can sometimes be a motivating factor for them to do exactly what you are telling them not to do.  
Kind of the way I feel about it.  We had one buddy who was from Australia.  His parents let him drink at home and we would drink over there.  They owned a really popular bar in downtown Dallas and just had a different attitude about teens drinking than the rest of the parents in our city.  However, they were absolutely adamant that you not drive after drinking.  It was a novel approach but he stayed out of trouble whereas many of our other friends got DUIs and into other issues with booze later in life.

I have two teens and we have talked about drinking and drugs.  I want them to be honest with us and have told them I fully expect them to try both but I won't be bringing the hammer down unless they drive under the influence or drive with somebody else under the influence.  We will pick them up anytime anywhere, no questions asked.  I'll also put LYFT apps on their phone and if they use them to get home, again, no questions asked.  

It seems the drink of choice for HS kids today, especially girls, is Vodka. When I was in HS the guys drank beer and the girls drank wine coolers. You'd get drunk but hard to get dangerously so. Now these 100 lb girls swill vodka with no life experience on how it will affect them and end up black-out drunk/passed out.
That shock wave you just felt was from @Homer J Simpson pants exploding.

Interested to hear how others handled this their first go around.
I assume decision making conversations since she was little have happened numerous times over her lifetime. Reiterate that again and praise her for not driving. Talk about personal safety too even if she's not driving. 

Tell her you trust her and that she's an awesome daughter. "Keep things in moderation." You know you can always call me no matter what time it is or what you've done. I'm here for you.

Lots of I love you. 

Don't overblow this. Have a conversation not a lecture. End. 

My kids are 10 and 6, so the ramifications of our life lessons for them carry a lot lighter outcomes.

That said- and it sounds like you’ve got a great kid already- we have always felt that it was important for our kids to find balance in their live on their own. We’ve tried to parent them to get them to be self contained and self fulfilled so that when it's time to make these kind of decisions, they don't need to look for outside help (especially from peers). Things like sleep, screens, candy/sweets, etc… lots of our friends have heavily enforced or denied them to their kids. We see their kids on playdates (remember those?!) outside of their homes and they’re like junkies at a dealer- no self control, eyes rolled back and always wanting more of whatever’s been made taboo.

We’ve let our kids do most things within reason and moderation. So far- knock on wood at 10 and 6- they’ve shown that they don’t need anybody to tell them to put the screens down, stop eating sweets or get some sleep. I guess what I’m saying- and projecting myself into the future when you and your daughter’s scenario starts to play out for us… if my kids are outwardly (and seemingly inwardly) progressing as well as your daughter is (and they are so far)- I’m ok with them trying drinking or drugs (IMO natural drugs- pot, shrooms) if they’re safe, in moderation and honest with us.

Also what Icon and Limpditka said.

When I was a freshman in college there were all kinds of kids, boys & girls, getting really, really, dangerously drunk.  My parents, and my friends parents, always let us drink around them when we were younger so we were experienced and knew not to be complete idiots like beer bonging vodka.  Yes, I witnessed that.  I plan on taking a similar path myself.

My daughter turns 17 in August, will be a junior next year, came home a little tipsy last night. Last day of school, went to a graduation party, and apparently had a few. Was not driving. Tried to deny it but it was obvious. Not stupid enough to think she's never done it before but first time she's been busted. 

Straight A honors student, will be captain next year of cross country and lax teams, hangs with popular crowd. Some of her friends have been in trouble before, a couple of stomach-pumping, but she has stayed out of the fray. I've heard multiple times from other parents "I'm always relieved when Jane tells me your daughter is going out with them, I worry less." 

She was still asleep when I left the house for work, my wife is home to deal with it when she wakes up. She wants to bring the hammer down (no going out at night for a month, can't go to concert in August, doesn't want her hanging with certain kids). I'm trying to keep it in perspective, there need to be consequences but I'm kind of lobbying on her behalf. As an every weekend boozer since freshman year of HS who turned out ok I'd be a hypocrite not to. HS is a four year cat and mouse game, I get it.

I sent my daughter a text after I left the house advising her to be honest with her mother, lying will not help the situation. Did not hear back, at work now waiting for an update on how it plays out. I know nearly all parents go through this, but I feel sick over it. Mostly because I know how sick she's going to feel when she opens her eyes this morning, and makes the walk downstairs.

The bolded has to come into consideration.  If you come out and flat out ban it, she's just going to hide it.  It seems like she's keeping #### locked down.  I'd probably punish the lying (that's the biggest ####up in this scenario imo) but I'd like to think I'd sit down and have an honest and frank conversation about the drinking.  She's going to do it, it's your responsibility to make sure she knows the dangers (drinking and driving, parties that get out of control and end up with cops there, or worst, rape) and how to avoid them.  She needs to know that if she's going to drink she can come to you when she's in an uncomfortable situation (not sober enough to drive, party out of control, etc..) rather than thinking she has to hide it from you.

My kids are 10 and 6, so the ramifications of our life lessons for them carry a lot lighter outcomes.

That said- and it sounds like you’ve got a great kid already- we have always felt that it was important for our kids to find balance in their live on their own. We’ve tried to parent them to get them to be self contained and self fulfilled so that when it's time to make these kind of decisions, they don't need to look for outside help (especially from peers). Things like sleep, screens, candy/sweets, etc… lots of our friends have heavily enforced or denied them to their kids. We see their kids on playdates (remember those?!) outside of their homes and they’re like junkies at a dealer- no self control, eyes rolled back and always wanting more of whatever’s been made taboo.

We’ve let our kids do most things within reason and moderation. So far- knock on wood at 10 and 6- they’ve shown that they don’t need anybody to tell them to put the screens down, stop eating sweets or get some sleep. I guess what I’m saying- and projecting myself into the future when you and your daughter’s scenario starts to play out for us… if my kids are outwardly (and seemingly inwardly) progressing as well as your daughter is (and they are so far)- I’m ok with them trying drinking or drugs (IMO natural drugs- pot, shrooms) if they’re safe, in moderation and honest with us.

Also what Icon and Limpditka said.
Agree on all of this.  Along the same lines, I don't like to have a double standard for my behavior vs. what I expect of kids (where possible of course).  My kids are 9 and 11 and we try not to forbid too many things, but let them have sweets; play on tablets; buy stuff in a responsible manner.  I would expect alcohol would fit into this same bucket when they are of age.  Not advocating that this would work for all kids, but so far, it's worked for ours. 

This. 

I'm thinking back to high school and can't remember anyone not drinking at all, unless they were "recovering". Especially if they're running around with the "popular" kids. It seems like there's a disproportionate amount of FBG parents who lucked out with their kids not participating. That, or like my parents, just didn't know at the time. 

scary stuff.  my daughter is 10 and this crap is on the horizon.  i've watched my neighbor's kids, smoking hot 18 year old and her 20 year old brother, go into total party mode.  single mom, that enforces nothing, seems to allow anything.  they had a 4th of july party 2 years ago that was straight out of animal house.  mom was home the whole time.

for me, my goal is to always have an open line of communication with my girl and raise her to be smart.  i grew up in a house that was strict but at the same time, lax.  i could never go to the big parties, but i could drink at home if i so desired(i never did).  first time i got drunk was senior camping trip and then in europe immediately after HS graduation.   and opioids scare me way more than drinking.  

My daughter turns 17 in August, will be a junior next year, came home a little tipsy last night. Last day of school, went to a graduation party, and apparently had a few. Was not driving. Tried to deny it but it was obvious. Not stupid enough to think she's never done it before but first time she's been busted. 

Straight A honors student, will be captain next year of cross country and lax teams, hangs with popular crowd. Some of her friends have been in trouble before, a couple of stomach-pumping, but she has stayed out of the fray. I've heard multiple times from other parents "I'm always relieved when Jane tells me your daughter is going out with them, I worry less." 

She was still asleep when I left the house for work, my wife is home to deal with it when she wakes up. She wants to bring the hammer down (no going out at night for a month, can't go to concert in August, doesn't want her hanging with certain kids). I'm trying to keep it in perspective, there need to be consequences but I'm kind of lobbying on her behalf. As an every weekend boozer since freshman year of HS who turned out ok I'd be a hypocrite not to. HS is a four year cat and mouse game, I get it.

I sent my daughter a text after I left the house advising her to be honest with her mother, lying will not help the situation. Did not hear back, at work now waiting for an update on how it plays out. I know nearly all parents go through this, but I feel sick over it. Mostly because I know how sick she's going to feel when she opens her eyes this morning, and makes the walk downstairs.

You're obviously doing a great job. Follow your instincts and continue to parent the way you've been parenting since it's working so well.  

GL.

Well my kid just turned 18, average student, better athlete, lovely musician, claims to have never been drunk or had sex. In traditional Italian/Mexican style, I have been lIke Da Raiders describes above - both strict and lenient. She's been tasting my wines since she was 6. She's welcome to split a beer with me or poor a little vino in her 7Up. She is not free to get wasted, pregnant, in trouble otherwise or do stupid stuff (like I did). She has called me a few times when her driver had been drinking, claiming she hadn't, and based on appearances I believe her. I'm rambling. I only wanted to say this: Talk talk talk - talk to your kids about this stuff, from a too young uncomfortable age, through the awkward teenage, and into the young adult stage - talk. Tell your stories, share your wisdom, encourage them to be smarter than the other idiot kids, and understand them if they screw up. I'm pretty proud of the results so far. Even this thread prompted a half hour discussion this morning where I asked my 18 year old what she thought the appropriate discipline is for Nigel's daughter. She suggests a few weeks of  an 8pm curfew. :)  

Well my kid just turned 18, average student, better athlete, lovely musician, claims to have never been drunk or had sex. In traditional Italian/Mexican style, I have been lIke Da Raiders describes above - both strict and lenient. She's been tasting my wines since she was 6. She's welcome to split a beer with me or poor a little vino in her 7Up. She is not free to get wasted, pregnant, in trouble otherwise or do stupid stuff (like I did). She has called me a few times when her driver had been drinking, claiming she hadn't, and based on appearances I believe her. I'm rambling. I only wanted to say this: Talk talk talk - talk to your kids about this stuff, from a too young uncomfortable age, through the awkward teenage, and into the young adult stage - talk. Tell your stories, share your wisdom, encourage them to be smarter than the other idiot kids, and understand them if they screw up. I'm pretty proud of the results so far. Even this thread prompted a half hour discussion this morning where I asked my 18 year old what she thought the appropriate discipline is for Nigel's daughter. She suggests a few weeks of  an 8pm curfew. :)  
So day drinking? :)

DIdn't read the thread: 

Sounds a lot like growing up with my parents. The first time I came home drunk, I was 15. In my HS, we drank. It's just the way it was. Our group of friends were all goods kid that all went on to college and productive lives, for the most part. We just liked to drink. It seemed like every weekend somebody's parents were out of town, and there was a party. Friday and Saturday night, you drink. Mon-Fri, you go to school, do your homework, do well on tests, work and/or play sports. It's just the way it was, and I don't see anything wrong with it. We all knew to have a DD and not do anything stupid. Crashing at the party usually made the most sense (then a morning run to Bojangles).

I think a pretty important part is the my parents knew all these kids well. They knew they were good kids. As you said about yours, my friends would often open up to my parents in ways they never would their own (still today, actually. I rarely get time to go home to see my parents, but some of my HS buddies stop in to have a beer with the parents regularly).

Anyway, it seems the open line of communication is the most important part. If parents flip out about everything, kids are going to stop telling them things. As long as you can talk about things, there aren't very many issues that can't be dealt with, and you can keep the kids from doing anything really stupid.

Sounds a lot like growing up with my parents. The first time I came home drunk, I was 15. In my HS, we drank. It's just the way it was. Our group of friends was all good kid that all went on to college and productive lives, for the most part. We just liked to drink. It seemed like every weekend somebody's parents were out of town, and there was a party. Friday and Saturday night, you drink. Mon-Fri, you go to school, do your homework, do well on tests, work and/or play sports. It's just the way it was, and I don't see anything wrong with it. We all knew to have a DD and not do anything stupid. Crashing at the party usually made the most sense (then a morning run to Bojangles).

I think a pretty important part is the my parents knew all these kids well. They knew they were good kids. As you said about yours, my friends would often open up to my parents in ways they never would their own (still today, actually. I rarely get time to go home to see my parents, but some of my HS buddies stop in to have a beer with the parents regularly).

Anyway, it seems the open line of communication is the most important part. If parents flip out about everything, kids are going to stop telling them things. As long as you can talk about things, there aren't very many issues that can't be dealt with, and you can keep the kids from doing anything really stupid.
Well said. I've got friends who do the same thing (drop in with the folks for a drink) too. :lol:

Save the flipping out and harsh penalties for the serious stuff... 

Sounds a lot like growing up with my parents. The first time I came home drunk, I was 15. In my HS, we drank. It's just the way it was. Our group of friends were all goods kid that all went on to college and productive lives, for the most part. We just liked to drink. It seemed like every weekend somebody's parents were out of town, and there was a party. Friday and Saturday night, you drink. Mon-Fri, you go to school, do your homework, do well on tests, work and/or play sports. It's just the way it was, and I don't see anything wrong with it. We all knew to have a DD and not do anything stupid. Crashing at the party usually made the most sense (then a morning run to Bojangles).

Did you grow up in Lynchburg?  B/c this sounds exactly like how we did it in Martinsville.   :ph34r:    :unsure:

And Nigel, what's the deal with the kids getting their stomach's pumped? I remember this happening, and it was never the kids that could talk to their parents about this stuff. It was the kids from the teetotalling gestapo houses that got their one night of freedom and went ape ####.

If that's the case here, that information might be useful in helping you keep the wife from going off the deep end about this.

Who better to talk your daughter about how to have a few drinks without being an idiot than you guys? It sounds like she's got goals and wouldn't want to screw anything up.

One thing I will tell her is NEVER get in a car with someone who drank or try and drive herself. If she finds herself in a situation where she cant get home to call you and you will pick her up any time of the night, no questions asked.
I'll catch up wit the rest of the thread later, but this. Both kids got this speech big time, had credit cards to pay for cabs that have evolved into Uber apps on my credit card. They also had a very dynamic AD at the high school that told them "your name is your brand" and we will be checking local police reports, Facebook, etc to be sure that brand is positive. 

With the kids now 19 and my daughter turning 21 on Monday, they turned out just fine. I won't be winning any parent of the year awards, but I am darn confident they can handle their booze and not get behind the wheel when they do. 

Our oldest (only daughter) came home drunk the summer heading into her senior and tried to pass it off as food poisoning.  Wife later found an empty bottle of vodka in her sock drawer - she claimed it was empty when she got it.  The way I handled it was told her that night that I was glad she was home safe, but disappointed in her choices and we would talk about it the next morning.  Next morning dawned - wife and I sat her down and talked about the consequences of drinking too much and drinking and driving (which at least she hadn't done) and left it at that.  Never had any more issues.  Neither my wife nor I drink and no alcohol in the house, so really just chalk it up to kids being kids so keep them informed of choices and consequences.  

If you threaten punishment for drinking (or any "incorrect" behavior) during the later teen years then if/when they do and if/when they need someone to get them out of the situation...then they're not calling you. And that's not good.

I would tell the daughter how it could screw up what's most important to her (is getting caught drinking worth getting kicked out of sports? Maybe it's different elsewhere but Minnesota has zero tolerance for it.

But then explain that if she does do it and she needs help that she should call you. And if she does that then there'll be no punishment or lectures...just another adult conversation.

I told my kids that they probably won't be doing anything I have not done.  You may not get into trouble, but don't expect a high five either.  If you need a ride, call.  No problems. You drink and drive... problems.  Oh yeah, you pass out, expect your friends to draw on your face with a sharpie.  

Lots of good stuff in this thread.

One point I would make when talking with them about your experiences as a youth is (unless you're young too) how the legal consequences were vastly different when you were young.

I'm 55.  If I had been pulled over for drinking and driving when I was young, it likely would have ended up in the police driving me home (if it was local) or calling my parents.  (Pretty much how it was in the 70s.)  Now?  It's a world of difference.  So, when talking with them, I would think it would be important to let them know all the legal ramifications from a DUI.

Also, lots of yutes (gotta love My Cousin Vinny), when drinking, like to do their selfies and post them to social media.  Want to talk about a killer for things like employment and the like?  I think this would be another good thing to tell them - if you're drinking, leave the phones alone.  They might actually listen...

If you threaten punishment for drinking (or any "incorrect" behavior) during the later teen years then if/when they do and if/when they need someone to get them out of the situation...then they're not calling you. And that's not good.

I would tell the daughter how it could screw up what's most important to her (is getting caught drinking worth getting kicked out of sports? Maybe it's different elsewhere but Minnesota has zero tolerance for it.

But then explain that if she does do it and she needs help that she should call you. And if she does that then there'll be no punishment or lectures...just another adult conversation.
Had almost this exact conversation with her about an hour ago, we're cool. I'd say she's more embarrassed more than anything. Asked her what she drank it with and she said straight, so clearly she didn't have THAT much as she was at least able when she got home to put up an almost plausible argument that she was sober. Was just a little off.

Still not sure what the sanctions are but no doubt (or at least I'm pretty sure) she's learned from it. Maybe a good thing in the long run.

Amen.  My ex and I both had plenty of experience drinking in HS and our parents had a "be smart about it" attitude.  Going to some of her college parties was a #### show.  The kids with hard-### parents and 0 experience were the ones ending up in detox getting their stomachs pumped and making a lot of other bad choices.  I have relayed those stories to my daughter many times.

My daughter just graduated HS and made it to the last few months of her senior year without drinking just because of the crowd she hung out with.  It was never strenuously forbidden, she was always just told to be smart.  My daughter has openly told me about every time she has drank because she knew I wasn't going to flip out.  The last time she ended up sick after drinking 4 beers mixed with Mt Dew. (Not sure why she decided to try that.)  She was in a safe place and I thought it was a good thing that she kind of knows her limits now.  I have preached about being careful with the harder stuff.

For those of you that have younger kids, it my sound cliche, but talk to them about it early.  It doesn't have to be a serious conversation at first.  Just bring it up randomly sometime in a non judgemental way.  At least it gets a dialog started.
We've had the talk with all 4 of my boys, 14-6. A few times as they've asked about drinking. I drink a beer or whisky and water most nights but not more than two.  They see it and it's not glorified or verboten.

When I was in junior high I started making mixed drinks for my parents. Alcohol was never glorified or hidden, I drank some but honestly have only been :X a few times in my life.

While my parents sure weren't buying for us they didn't get upset if we had a few if we were safe.  Open communication is key as was/is ensuring we, and now our kids, know the priority is safety and honesty.

DIdn't read the thread: 

:hey:

I will definitely not be a hard-line parent when/if I have kids, it doesn't work. If it doesn't blow up in HS, it will later. Serenity now, and all that. 

Open lines of communication and punishment but not severe if boundaries are overstepped is probably the best way to tread here. I think there's a much higher likelihood of kids making a smart decision amongst friends when it comes to blowing way past the line of casual/semi-hard drinking into blackout/mess territory if they buy-in to being on reasonable footing with their parents. You're not forcing the kids to dis-engage from a group of their friends that drinks, but you're giving them reason to make the more important good decisions instead of flooring the accelerator out of rebellion into getting wasted for getting wasted's sake stemming from a 0 tolerance home policy. 

I think the first time my Dad saw me was when I was 13 or14. He came home early, woke me up from a nap, and took me to the local icehouse. Then all his friends bought me beer. I puked on the side of his car on the way home. 

I never really caught my kids in HS.  I'm sure they experimented but neither were big partyers.  

One time though, both boys spent the night at a neighbor's house.  My kids were like 17 and 15.  I think the neighbor boys were like 16 and 19.  

The whole thing was kinda nerdy.  My kids brought over their Xbox and TV.  The neighbors had one as well.  They were basically having some all night long tournament (super smash bros maybe).

Older neighbor pulls out a bottle of Jager.  He turns the viddiya game into a drinking game.  Every time you got smashed (or whatever stupid crap happens in that game) you did a shot.  Younger kid declines. Older kid who games like a mofo accepts the challenges.

Not sure what happened but older kid gets hammered and passes out.

Next day he's puking while claiming "the flu". Taught himself a lesson I guess.

I never really caught my kids in HS.  I'm sure they experimented but neither were big partyers.  

One time though, both boys spent the night at a neighbor's house.  My kids were like 17 and 15.  I think the neighbor boys were like 16 and 19.  

The whole thing was kinda nerdy.  My kids brought over their Xbox and TV.  The neighbors had one as well.  They were basically having some all night long tournament (super smash bros maybe).

Older neighbor pulls out a bottle of Jager.  He turns the viddiya game into a drinking game.  Every time you got smashed (or whatever stupid crap happens in that game) you did a shot.  Younger kid declines. Older kid who games like a mofo accepts the challenges.

Not sure what happened but older kid gets hammered and passes out.

Next day he's puking while claiming "the flu". Taught himself a lesson I guess.
Sure beats super Mario

Users who are viewing this thread