What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Most Useful Apps. (1 Viewer)

Data ON-OFF - great little switch used to switch cell data on and off.
I imagine that you can still do an emergency call (911)?

Does anyone know of an app that disables emergency dialing? Why? Because I repurpose old smartphones for my kids to play games. There's no account so they only have WiFi and GPS but the kids can still accidentally dial 911.
That little app only disables/enables cellular data. No effect on texting or phone functions. Or wifi, for that matter.

I have a low limit plan, so use it to make sure I don't run over.

Some not mentioned that I use a lot

Myibidder - auction sniper

iExit - shows you what is at each highway exit,

Video2Photo - creates pics from your videos

Songza - get custom songlists depending on what you want.

eWeather HD - my fav weather app

Trapster - shows where cops hide and camera intersections

Does anyone know of an app that disables emergency dialing? Why? Because I repurpose old smartphones for my kids to play games. There's no account so they only have WiFi and GPS but the kids can still accidentally dial 911.
isn't that what airplane mode is?

I also use an old smartphone as a mini tablet and use airplane mode

Notability- if you have a tablet with a stylus.

Pages- word processor.

Poynt- finds businesses, resturants, gas prices ect..

Omnifocus- designed after "Getting things done" by David Allen. My life is on here.

Xfinity TV remote - a reach, but being able to turn the tv at your home while 100s of miles away is cool. Makes for good pranks.
Nice looking, but is it worth $80?
Woah.
Think it's actually 20, not 80. Still steep, but not that bad.

isn't that what airplane mode is?

I also use an old smartphone as a mini tablet and use airplane mode
This is just a one-click button right on my front screen. Super convenient (first world problems).

Pages- word processor.

Omnifocus- designed after "Getting things done" by David Allen. My life is on here.

Xfinity TV remote - a reach, but being able to turn the tv at your home while 100s of miles away is cool. Makes for good pranks.
Woah.
Must have been a sale before, $80 right now. On App store and their site.

Pages- word processor.

Woah.
Pretty sure that's the price for the Mac app, not the iphone app.

Pages- word processor.

Woah.
Pretty sure that's the price for the Mac app, not the iphone app.
yup!

That little app only disables/enables cellular data. No effect on texting or phone functions. Or wifi, for that matter.

I have a low limit plan, so use it to make sure I don't run over.
I use Battery Doctor on android. There is a feature that allows that really easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you shop at a Wegman's their iOS app/online app is awesome. Shareable, emailable lists; the ability to scan a UPC code and it adds it to a list; set your store and it gives you your list in the order of the store by aisle. Sweet.

I usually do 99% of my shopping there or Costco, and I make a list on that app, and I get the price for Wegmans. This allows me to go to Costco and compare prices. (We know that The Secret of Costco is that their price is not always best!)

If you shop at a Wegman's their iOS app/online app is awesome. Shareable, emailable lists; the ability to scan a UPC code and it adds it to a list; set your store and it gives you your list in the order of the store by aisle. Sweet.

I usually do 99% of my shopping there or Costco, and I make a list on that app, and I get the price for Wegmans. This allows me to go to Costco and compare prices. (We know that The Secret of Costco is that their price is not always best!)
why is that the secret of costco?

If he told you, it wouldn't be a secret.

Some people think that if it is sold there it must be cheaper than anywhere. With some things, if you look, it is actually cheaper elsewhere. (Secret may not have been the right word.)

One that I actually use a lot is the Wells Fargo Android app. I rarely even open it, but it allows you to get your balance via text. I have the number saved to my contacts, and I just send "Bal" to it and it replies with the balance. Super convenient

I also find myself using Google Voice Search more...usually asking it stuff like "What time do the Falcons play?", "Call <restaurant>/<contact>", or whatever info I randomly want to know. They seem to keep adding features to it. It now works like Shazaam for song recognition, you can translate words using it, etc.

Some people think that if it is sold there it must be cheaper than anywhere. With some things, if you look, it is actually cheaper elsewhere. (Secret may not have been the right word.)
Costco has a fixed markup percentage that never exceeds 14%, so if it's available elsewhere it's likely not much cheaper or is a loss leader if it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you with KeyRing, does anyone know how it compares to CardStar? CardStar is what I've always used, but I'm wondering if I should switch to KeyRing instead.

Does a good "speech to text" transcriber exist? To clarify, I'd like to be able to speak into the phone and have the app put it in writing for me?

Does a good "speech to text" transcriber exist? To clarify, I'd like to be able to speak into the phone and have the app put it in writing for me?
I've found that Keep does a good job of voice to text. It's a Google app so probably the same translator they use on multiple apps.

I've found that Keep does a good job of voice to text. It's a Google app so probably the same translator they use on multiple apps.
Keep is fantastic for this. It also keeps the audio file on hand.
In the cloud or on the phone?
it's on both

Anyone know of an app that tracks tour dates of bands in a user friendly way? I've tried song kick and it is great for one band or one city.

Looking for something that you could put in say 10 bands and the app shows all local/regional shows plus additional cities that would be cool to travel for a show (red rocks/Nola/Nashville/etc). Song kick may so this and I'm just slow.

Props to Soulfly for The Score, that app is top notch.

chauncey said:
Anyone know of an app that tracks tour dates of bands in a user friendly way? I've tried song kick and it is great for one band or one city.

Looking for something that you could put in say 10 bands and the app shows all local/regional shows plus additional cities that would be cool to travel for a show (red rocks/Nola/Nashville/etc). Song kick may so this and I'm just slow.

Props to Soulfly for The Score, that app is top notch.
Have you tried Bandsintown? I know you can put in the artists (bands, singers, even comedians) and it will let you know if they are touring or whatever. I'm not sure how good it is with letting you know about tour dates and upcoming on sale dates though.

Awesome thread -- just downloaded theScore (ScoreCenter is the devil), Scanner Pro by Readdle and Key Ring Rewards to my phone.

Kitchen dial is really good for doing various conversions. Very useful and simple
Siri does this quite well

Siri does this quite well
On kitchen dial - thx..didn't even cross my mind

For speech to text - how exactly to you use it? simply send an email?

One small thing that annoys me about TheScore (beside it crashing a lot on me lately) is that it doesn't show fouls in basketball under individual stats. Small potatoes, but kind of annoying.

One small thing that annoys me about TheScore (beside it crashing a lot on me lately) is that it doesn't show fouls in basketball under individual stats. Small potatoes, but kind of annoying.
Crashing? What os and phone you on? App hasnt crashed on me since the blackberry days.

Their support is amazing so write them and theyll guide u to help them solve it

the score is my go-to sports app. faster notifications than espn and each game shows the spread. win

Crashing? What os and phone you on? App hasnt crashed on me since the blackberry days. Their support is amazing so write them and theyll guide u to help them solve it
Galaxy S2

Android 4.1

My phone does have memory issues, but TheScore crashes 10x as often as any other app right now.

Crashing? What os and phone you on? App hasnt crashed on me since the blackberry days.Their support is amazing so write them and theyll guide u to help them solve it
Galaxy S2

Android 4.1

My phone does have memory issues, but TheScore crashes 10x as often as any other app right now.
not normal.

write to them. on my s3, s4 and now Nexus 5 it's never crashed once

Crashing? What os and phone you on? App hasnt crashed on me since the blackberry days.Their support is amazing so write them and theyll guide u to help them solve it
Galaxy S2

Android 4.1

It gets hung up for me, too, much more often than I'd like. (iPhone 4 on ios 6.something)

It's still the stats app I use the most, though.

Galaxy S2

Android 4.1

It gets hung up for me, too, much more often than I'd like. (iPhone 4 on ios 6.something)

It's still the stats app I use the most, though.
really recommend writing to them, so they can see what the bug is...

like I said, in the blackberry days for me it crashed often.. since then, I havent had that issue... small bugs here and there which usually fixed w the next update

Re; Kitchen: Very convenient for conversions (How many teaspoons is 2 cups). "She'll" even bring up nutritional info (How many calories in a cup of broccoli, how much protein in a pound of chicken breast, etc). Handy stuff.

Re: Speech: Whenever you have the keyboard up, you can just click the microphone to the left of the space bar and it will bring up speech to text. I use it for emails, texts (great way to send a text while driving and be less likely to kill yourself), etc. Anytime I'd need to type. I usually hold it to 1-2 sentences at a time, then wait for it to convert to text. If it's relatively quiet, and I speak relatively articulately (ie not wasted drunk or talking with a mouth full of food), it's quite accurate.

Re; Kitchen: Very convenient for conversions (How many teaspoons is 2 cups). "She'll" even bring up nutritional info (How many calories in a cup of broccoli, how much protein in a pound of chicken breast, etc). Handy stuff.

Re: Speech: Whenever you have the keyboard up, you can just click the microphone to the left of the space bar and it will bring up speech to text. I use it for emails, texts (great way to send a text while driving and be less likely to kill yourself), etc. Anytime I'd need to type. I usually hold it to 1-2 sentences at a time, then wait for it to convert to text. If it's relatively quiet, and I speak relatively articulately (ie not wasted drunk or talking with a mouth full of food), it's quite accurate.
thx. I'll give it a shot, but was looking for more of a note taking style...but it might work

thx. I'll give it a shot, but was looking for more of a note taking style...but it might work
Gotcha. Yeah I don't think there is anything that is a true real-time text to speech app ala Dragon or such. If there is I'm not aware of it.

Scanner Pro is free for the week (usually $6.99) on ios

http://www.imore.com/scanner-pro-goes-free-week
Nice! Grabbing that one now. Have you used it?
yes, it's very good
Confirmed. Grabbed it today. I had been using genius scan in the past which has a lot of the same functionality except the edge-finding and correction was manual. I was surprised how accurate the Scanner Pro's auto-edge find was. I shot a white piece of paper on a beige desk top and it had zero issue. Image quality was very good too. Thanks for posting, GB.

Users who are viewing this thread