What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Flying stinks (1 Viewer)

jm192

Footballguy
Anyone else had just awful luck flying?

I flew to Seattle for a wedding.  Booked months in advance.  A week ago get notification from Alaska that they cancelled the return flight.  The only available flight gets to St Louis at midnight,  Which would then leave us with a lengthy drive home.  I work at 7 the next morning and our group doesn’t have a lot of flexibility to cover me if I can’t make it in.

Got a refund.  Rebooked with Delta.  Got to Seattle.  Made it through Saturday.  Wake up today with texts and e-mails from Delta.  Flight cancelled.  But don’t worry, we rebooked you.  After spending several hours in Atlanta, you’ll land in St Louis at midnight.  Great.

I was able to get a full refund.  I’ve rebooked with United.  I even have boarding passes at this point.  I realize the holiday probably adds to the difficulty, but man this is frustrating.

Expensive

Crowded

People are Rude

First Class and Business Class sold out on many flights

I'm trying to fly as little as possible these days...I hope it can get back to normal.
Yep. If I’m lucky I won’t have to fly for work until November. No interest in doing it if I don’t have to.

I flew to Seattle for a wedding.  Booked months in advance.  A week ago get notification from Alaska that they cancelled the return flight.  The only available flight gets to St Louis at midnight,  Which would then leave us with a lengthy drive home.  I work at 7 the next morning and our group doesn’t have a lot of flexibility to cover me if I can’t make it in.

Got a refund.  Rebooked with Delta.  Got to Seattle.  Made it through Saturday.  Wake up today with texts and e-mails from Delta.  Flight cancelled.  But don’t worry, we rebooked you.  After spending several hours in Atlanta, you’ll land in St Louis at midnight.  Great.

I was able to get a full refund.  I’ve rebooked with United.  I even have boarding passes at this point.  I realize the holiday probably adds to the difficulty, but man this is frustrating.

That sounds like some awful luck.  Hope it turns around and you get home on time.

I've only flown for two trips this year, and each of my four flights has arrived early to its destination.  This is all on Delta.  Usually I'd be confident in Delta, so it sucks that you had such a bad experience.  

ETA:  One bad experience to mention, though.  Delta is still not giving out blankets, at least on domestic flights, citing the pandemic.  :rolleyes:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep it sucks and is getting worse and more expensive.  The cramming in of the seats/rows on the new planes has gotten insane.  I’m 6ft tall and on my last flight my knees were literally touching the back of the seat in front of me (before take off and them reclining). I was crammed into a 5 hour flight like a sardine.  Flew back on an older plane and had 6 inches in front of my knee (which still sucks but is better).  

Also 2 weeks ago I flew from Cali to Boston on a work trip.  On the way home I got the the airport early.  Had a long work trip, was beat and really not looking forward to the long flight home.  Decided F- it I’m gonna upgrade to first class if one’s available, didn’t really care the cost.  At the terminal once someone got there I asked if any upgrades were available, lady says yes there’s 1 first class seat open…..

Me : “Great how much?”  

She bangs always on the keyboard for a min or 2.  “I’m sorry you can’t upgrade”

Puzzled “What?”

”Im sorry you can’t upgrade”

stunned. “Ah, why?”

”the ticket you purchased won’t allow it”

”but I didn’t buy any special discounted ticket or something.  Just bought a normal one with my personal card.  I don’t understand”

”I’m sorry sir”. No further explanation 

“So you’re telling me you won’t take my money.”

”yes”

”you do realize you never even quoted me an amount.  You have no clue what I would have said yes too”

she stares blankly at me not saying a word.

So I return to my seat flabbergasted.   

This seems pertinent.

I've been fairly fortunate so far -- several short trips on the west coast without any major issues. I used to fly Alaska but I've switched to United for the time being.

Pretty sure they could cut half the TSA jobs and funnel the savings into a pilot training program, though.

The TSA lines have been faster, at least this weekend with me and others in my group flying out of MIA and FLL.  Big holiday weekend crowds and no need to open carryons or take off your shoes or pose with your arms up. The agents had the queues moving. They did use drugs/bomb dogs as we walked in groups of 2

I think more flights are getting changed/cancelled but I also think the airport process has gotten WAY better. Between checking in online, kiosks, TSA pre-check, mobile boarding passes, the time from getting to the airport to getting to the gate is so much faster and efficient. 

I fly at least once a month for work.  Only had two real recent issues; both with Frontier (never flying them again).  Flight got cancelled from Las Vegas home to SoCal on December 30th and then again cancelled from Denver to SoCal a couple weeks ago.

Flying to Charlotte and Texas in June, knock on wood for smooth trips.

I’ve been flying and no issues, all Delta.  Have a bunch of long haul trips coming up so I’m sure I just jinxed myself.

I had a real bad experience with Alaska Airlines. Flight was nonstop from San Diego to Portland last summer. I get a notification at 5 am stating my flight changed from 6:45 am to 11 pm. WTF? That’s a pretty big change in departure/arrival. Managed to fly on Delta to Seattle/Portland. #### Alaska Airlines. 

Wife has a work trip to SD in August. We are taking the kids because our room and her ticket is free. Kids and my tickets were a grand each. Sucks. 

Lufthansa is great.  We are pretty much thru baggage check and security in 15 minutes of walking inside.  Still always get there 2 hours before just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread