What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Focusing on the positive -- GOOD things about the coronavirus situation (1 Viewer)

From a healthcare standpoint, fewer people are going to the ER for stuff they don't really need to go to the ER for.  The doctor's office and the hospital is a dirty place and should really be avoided as much as possible whenever it's not necessary.  Hopefully more people will realize that most things get better on their own and just needs time.

Also, the idea of good handwashing and not touching your face should be something that is practiced ALL THE TIME by EVERYBODY.  If this can become an ingrained habit, we will see overall less disease in general. 

Was listening to the radio this afternoon and I heard a GREAT report..

A Local business had a Fish Fry scheduled for a charity this Saturday. But due to the Virus they weren't sure how it could be done.
IT people from around the area heard their plea and in a couple of days created a Web site and ordering system so people can go online, order what they want and pay, and then drive up to receive it.

A few hours after going live they had 400+ orders!! 

:bow:  

My life probably hasn’t changed as dramatically as some, since I already worked from home, and I don’t have kids.  Two positives I’ve experienced already:

1.  My two biggest spend areas are meals/drinks out and vacations (always like to have at least three planned at a time).  They’re both not possible right now, so I’m spending a ton less.

2.  Conference calls are 50% more hilarious now with everyone’s kids and dogs in the mix.

Liar

I tried to eat red meat last night for the first time a while since all the chicken seems to be gone everywhere. Browned it to use up with some pasta sauce and rigatoni 🤢

I want to take the healthy foods I see obese people hoarding in the stores and say "Give me that! You're just gonna throw it out in a few days when it goes bad because you're going to eat the frozen pizzas in your cart before you start looking at apples and fresh produce as real food. 

Try a slice of avacado on that almost still breathing burger you're indulging in. 
You must be a hit at parties.

Scanned the thread and I don't think this one has been mentioned yet. It is good AND bad. We are a consumer nation unfortunately. That needs to change. We expand and roll along because we consume. Well, here we have millions out of work in an instant and the majority have no backup plan, no savings, nothing. Many will cash out their 401ks for $ at THE WORST TIME imaginable. They can't even sell things because the pawn shop wont have the $. Or pawn shops in great shape are going to clean up.

The question is, is this a wake up call and the consumer shuts it down like never before???

He now hoards $ because he have just seen what happens when you live paycheck to paycheck and own that $40000 truck that you never should have purchased, rang up CC bills you don't pay off as they come due and instead pay massive interest charges, etc.

In order to get out of this we need to go back to consuming. Well, is the average citizen going to say, I don't need 6 months of income sitting in case this happens again? The govt, is going to want them right back where they were, paycheck to paycheck and spending as fast as it comes in. Is the consumer going to tighten that belt and save instead? Will be interesting to see. If they do we will most certainly not recover as fast as they will want.

We've played a family game each of the past two nights after dinner.  With a 16 and 18 year old boys, family game nights is like pulling teeth.  There never would do it.  They are now so bored now, they don't even argue.  Each throws out a game of choice and we put them in a hat to draw.

First night was a bit of a cluster.  We played Clue (newer version that the last time I played as a kid, but same premise).  My wife of course screwed up and put two people and no weapons in the final envelope.
Want me to send over my old AD&D books?  StingerZZZ might be willing to come over and mess up your adventures if you need more chaos from a teenage mentality.

If a fart is cut and nobody is around to hear it...does it really exist?
This one sure did. Thought I might have to go to the restroom to wipe. Turns out it was just hot, not hot AND wet.

Getting old sucks. Hopefully I'm in for a lot more suckage though, as the alternative is not really all that appealing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My life probably hasn’t changed as dramatically as some, since I already worked from home, and I don’t have kids.  Two positives I’ve experienced already:

1.  My two biggest spend areas are meals/drinks out and vacations (always like to have at least three planned at a time).  They’re both not possible right now, so I’m spending a ton less.

2.  Conference calls are 50% more hilarious now with everyone’s kids and dogs in the mix.
My naked three year old keeps running in on Skypes. It just so happens that behind me in the field of view of the camera is a door between the den and living room that has clear glass panes in it. So my kids regularly come peer in and knock. People start laughing and point and tell me I have a visitor. It’s kind of hard to be conferencing like a boss when you have a kid holding crap up behind you. 

Had our first department video chat yesterday.  Held up one of my dogs to the camera and he growled.  They all think I own a badger now.

One cat made a brief cameo.  She walked over and started head butting my arm for attention.

I made sure I was wearing this shirt as well  https://www.redbubble.com/people/myoungncsu/works/35643148-m-e-o-w?p=greeting-card
Oh and throughout the entire chat (with my principal, both deans, and 5 other teachers) I was drinking out of a red Solo cup.  It was just soda but I made it a point to stir it with a straw.  

I have a positive post

-Wife came home after a long and stressful week at the hospital. We cooked dinner together, she starts to work some from home next week, we went for a nice extended walk around our neighborhood and saw more people walking, biking and running than we ever see. Usually we comment we have the whole place to ourselves. 

-We started mapping out those home projects we have been putting off. We are going to paint a few of the rooms inside. 

-We are committed to something like a walk or bike ride both morning and evening to keep our minds clear, we started setting some health goals we could actually accomplish by the end of this. 

-We know we need to try and volunteer somewhere in some capacity to help. What that means I don't exactly know but it could be as simple as volunteering at my wife's hospital where they have been forced to send all the Senior Volunteers that help push patients about, all sent home for their own safety.  

-Wife got some good news at the hospital, on Monday we had only 10 test kits for the virus, today they are up to 800 and they have not had a positive test yet. 

Got enough booze to open my own Irish Bar, plenty of smoke n toke, enough bottle water to throw a rave, and lots of dry nonperishable food...and you can still get take out at my favorite Mexican and Pizza joints at the moment plus...FL Governor did say they can sell alcohol to go. And the weather at the moment is pretty hard to beat here. 

Good thread Otis, stay strong. 

I play in a weekly pinball league held at the local mall. Since all the malls are closed, a buddy and I reached out to the owner to see if we could rent a couple of his machines while things are on lockdown. Since he's got no revenue coming in, this would at least provide him with some money while the mall is shut down. TLDR, it looks like I may have a pinball machine in my bonus room for a month or two.

Getting a new puppy has been in the works for 3 months...biggest hurdle was trying to figure out the first 6 months of how we’d have someone home every 3hrs to let it out.

Well, we get the little guy today and it couldn’t be more perfect timing to train a new puppy!  This thing will be loved and trained like nothing else. It also has been an outlet of happiness and excitement for my family. 10 yrs from now when we talk about this historic time in our lives,   Maxwell will most definitely be an asterisk for our kids of positivity and happiness. 

Getting a new puppy has been in the works for 3 months...biggest hurdle was trying to figure out the first 6 months of how we’d have someone home every 3hrs to let it out.

Well, we get the little guy today and it couldn’t be more perfect timing to train a new puppy!  This thing will be loved and trained like nothing else. It also has been an outlet of happiness and excitement for my family. 10 yrs from now when we talk about this historic time in our lives,   Maxwell will most definitely be an asterisk for our kids of positivity and happiness. 
This is a great idea.  We were going to wait on this, but what a great time to do it.  It would blow my kids' minds.  Maybe I will discuss with Mrs. O today...

You're going to make some pit bull mix rescue very happy when you bring it home.
“Honey, this virus situation got me to thinking. I find the added risk posed by the virus to be absolutely exhilarating. I’m thinking we should also get some pit bulls, phiranas for the bathtub, and maybe some robot alligators. What do you think??”

“Honey, this virus situation got me to thinking. I find the added risk posed by the virus to be absolutely exhilarating. I’m thinking we should also get some pit bulls, phiranas for the bathtub, and maybe some robot alligators. What do you think??”
"Don't worry, I'm also getting a shotgun. Just in case"

Really makes you think how crazy you got over something small like a person owning a pitbull, right?

Finally putting a big effort into learning French after managing to get by for ~1yr. 

Love to cook but between work and other life events don't have nearly enough time. Now we've been cooking every meal at home and able to get creative.

Digitally organizing my life....photos, documents, finances, etc.

Finally  :bye:  hello to our apartment neighbors across our small Parisian street after a year of awkwardly seeing each other across the way just living our lives.

I play in a weekly pinball league held at the local mall. Since all the malls are closed, a buddy and I reached out to the owner to see if we could rent a couple of his machines while things are on lockdown. Since he's got no revenue coming in, this would at least provide him with some money while the mall is shut down. TLDR, it looks like I may have a pinball machine in my bonus room for a month or two.
Pinball league?  wtf

Rearranged my apartment to have a separate and fully functional office (much needed now)... used about 150,000 amex points to redo my bedroom and got a new mid-century  chair and ottoman (nice blue color fabric to bring a splash of color to my grey, beige, wood tone, and black aesthetic) and matching side bench/also called an ottoman I guess), a kick ### bedside lamp (tree of life lamp with wireless charge, bluetooth, but most of all, looks killer), a new mid century modern sidetable for my bed to go with the new look.

Also got a sweet new table for my TV (old one was just a bit too small for new tv), and sweet outdoor chaise... sick buys.  The TV stand/table was originally $400, I'd seen it for mid-upper 2's, and suddenly it was $189 and jumped on it.

So, for about 400 bucks total and some points, I have maybe a thousand dollars of new furniture as I'm stuck at home.

Why aren't you going out for a walk, for some fresh air and exercise and sunshine (staying away from other people)?
I don't even want to step out into the hallway of my building. 3rd floor so would have to pass through multiple doors and down stairs. Some older tenants in the building too. Kind of terrified to think that something innocuous I do could affect them. Going to have to leave the building at some point in the next 7-10 days but I'm dreading it. Also waiting for the inevitable news that someone in the building has it.

I don't even want to step out into the hallway of my building. 3rd floor so would have to pass through multiple doors and down stairs. Some older tenants in the building too. Kind of terrified to think that something innocuous I do could affect them. Going to have to leave the building at some point in the next 7-10 days but I'm dreading it. Also waiting for the inevitable news that someone in the building has it.
Just sounds so unhealthy for you GB.  Not telling you how to live your life, but if you were a family member I'd be encouraging you to put on a mask and gloves if you need to, but to get outside and walk for an hour.  You just can't live like that.

Oooo oooo! Which machine?

Just sounds so unhealthy for you GB.  Not telling you how to live your life, but if you were a family member I'd be encouraging you to put on a mask and gloves if you need to, but to get outside and walk for an hour.  You just can't live like that.
I have no mask or gloves. It's not ideal to stay in like this but it beats having the virus. If I lived in a house and had a yard it'd be an easier situation to deal with for sure.

BTW Pinball Arcade for the iPad is awesome.  You can get all the classic tables.  

8: One of the better stories in the FFA, one of the best stories in this thread, brings a smile to everyone's face (upper class of positive posts).

As I mentioned in the other thread, the illicit drug supply chain is also significantly broken. That's going to be both good and bad. 

But on the positive side, now all of these heroin dealers can go f themselves and try to collect unemployment from the cartels. 

The anti-vaxxer movement will now be all but over?  Or at least states will now pass 'get a vaccine or your kids can't be in schools' laws?  The fact health care workers have to deal with things like measel outbreaks is crazy.

The anti-vaxxer movement will now be all but over?  Or at least states will now pass 'get a vaccine or your kids can't be in schools' laws?  The fact health care workers have to deal with things like measel outbreaks is crazy.
My local town facebook group is filled with people who have already said that if a vaccine is developed they will not get it.

Users who are viewing this thread