What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Focusing on the positive -- GOOD things about the coronavirus situation (1 Viewer)

:shrug:  I like pinball.

Not sure yet. He has 8 machines to choose from, so probably either Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Deadpool. My buddy and I are going to have to flip a coin, because we both want Star Wars.
I shouldn't have said "wtf".  I like pinball too but was completely unaware there are pinball leagues.  

Getting a new puppy has been in the works for 3 months...biggest hurdle was trying to figure out the first 6 months of how we’d have someone home every 3hrs to let it out.

Well, we get the little guy today and it couldn’t be more perfect timing to train a new puppy!  This thing will be loved and trained like nothing else. It also has been an outlet of happiness and excitement for my family. 10 yrs from now when we talk about this historic time in our lives,   Maxwell will most definitely be an asterisk for our kids of positivity and happiness. 
This little pup is amazing!  Such a good boy!

We decided to give him a middle name....

Maxwell Corona   

Not specific, but the LAFF channel is running some pretty good World's Funniest Videos. Perfect screen saver when nothing else is on.

Next Positive Post...

-I played Tennis for 3 hours on Sat Morning with my usual group of 12 guys. 

-Later in the day wife and I went to the beach and saw first hand the CV-19 signs and the closing of every entrance to the beach. We did this however while walking along A1A and could still walk the beach just not at the water's edge, had to stay up along the sidewalk and road. We took pictures at the Juno Pier(Mostly Locked) and in each direction it's sunny but the pictures we took show nobody, not one person on the actual sand or beach, it's a stunning picture in the middle of the day. While this might not sound positive, it felt good to see it with our own eyes vs TV. 

-My wife had bought lights to go inside our bicycle tires sort of like those bikes you see riding along the desert in Burning Man at night. We got them all working and lit up and we rode around the neighborhood and along the waterways, people just love them and holler at us while we ride around. I light up a 420 and the spokes and tires spinning while riding is just trippy and invigorating. 

-My wife bought a paddle board and had it shipped without really telling me she was going to do it. It's actually pretty dang wicked but I would have never said yes, this thing is 10 feet long, it's sitting in my living room waiting to be taken on it's maiden voyage today. It actually inflates(took a while) and when you are not using it, can fold up and be put into a large bag for storage. Or you can leave it full 10 feet long and just hang it on a wall.  

-We made fish tacos with fresh avocado and salsa. We found the fish markets are full of food. Not everyone likes fish as much we do, luckily we are in Florida with plenty of access.  

Trying to limit our TV time and get at least a couple hours of fresh air and exercise daily, helps keep the mind clear. 

Thinking about driving to the Keys and just bringing a lot of our own food. Hotels that are open are dirt cheap and we also have a couple tents and could even camp out somewhere along the Keys although I'm sure Bahia Honda is not accessible right now. Don't suffer up in NYC, get a room down in Florida and enjoy some sunshine for a week or two. Rent a condo or Air BnB if the thought of a germ infested hotel frightens you. 

Cheers! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to assume that less serious illnesses like the more common colds and flus will go down as a side effect of our current shutdowns and preps.

Next Positive Post...

-I played Tennis for 3 hours on Sat Morning with my usual group of 12 guys. 

-Later in the day wife and I went to the beach and saw first hand the CV-19 signs and the closing of every entrance to the beach. We did this however while walking along A1A and could still walk the beach just not at the water's edge, had to stay up along the sidewalk and road. We took pictures at the Juno Pier(Mostly Locked) and in each direction it's sunny but the pictures we took show nobody, not one person on the actual sand or beach, it's a stunning picture in the middle of the day. While this might not sound positive, it felt good to see it with our own eyes vs TV. 

-My wife had bought lights to go inside our bicycle tires sort of like those bikes you see riding along the desert in Burning Man at night. We got them all working and lit up and we rode around the neighborhood and along the waterways, people just love them and holler at us while we ride around. I light up a 420 and the spokes and tires spinning while riding is just trippy and invigorating. 

-My wife bought a paddle board and had it shipped without really telling me she was going to do it. It's actually pretty dang wicked but I would have never said yes, this thing is 10 feet long, it's sitting in my living room waiting to be taken on it's maiden voyage today. It actually inflates(took a while) and when you are not using it, can fold up and be put into a large bag for storage. Or you can leave it full 10 feet long and just hang it on a wall.  

-We made fish tacos with fresh avocado and salsa. We found the fish markets are full of food. Not everyone likes fish as much we do, luckily we are in Florida with plenty of access.  

Trying to limit our TV time and get at least a couple hours of fresh air and exercise daily, helps keep the mind clear. 

Thinking about driving to the Keys and just bringing a lot of our own food. Hotels that are open are dirt cheap and we also have a couple tents and could even camp out somewhere along the Keys although I'm sure Bahia Honda is not accessible right now. Don't suffer up in NYC, get a room down in Florida and enjoy some sunshine for a week or two. Rent a condo or Air BnB if the thought of a germ infested hotel frightens you. 

Cheers! 
Really couldn’t ask to be in a better place for this quarantine than South Florida. Sunshine all day. Our backyard has complete privacy and overlooks a beautiful lake and the 18th green of our golf course. Been laying out, doing yard work, going for walks, and just enjoying the outdoors from our mini slice of paradise. 

We got a great deal on a patio install - less than a third of the price we were quoted this past fall.

And we just got a great deal on a Toyota Highlander. Doing our part to keep the economy afloat!

I'm going to assume that less serious illnesses like the more common colds and flus will go down as a side effect of our current shutdowns and preps.
I hate this same thought the other day.  My kids aren't in school every day collecting crap from their classmates (parents are the worst, they don't want to deal with the inconvenience caused by their children being home, so they send their stupid sick kids to school all the time, it's a petri dish), and I'm not on the subways collecting crap from, well, everyone.  Nobody in my house is sick right now.  No snot, no coughing, nothing.  Knock on wood it stays that way.  But great point, this is another solid positive.

Heck, with people quarantining, maybe so many of those illnesses run their course before being transmitted, and we come out of this a much more healthy overall population.  Hell, maybe we should do this once a year just for that benefit alone...

Really couldn’t ask to be in a better place for this quarantine than South Florida. Sunshine all day. Our backyard has complete privacy and overlooks a beautiful lake and the 18th green of our golf course. Been laying out, doing yard work, going for walks, and just enjoying the outdoors from our mini slice of paradise. 
Lucky b@stard.  I would kill for some good weather right now in NY, would just lay out in the sun all day like a walrus.

positive - as this goes on and hopefully real information gets out to the public, we can re-assess the Health care system. The rising costs annually have caused hospitals and other care givers to get people in and out, and has stripped most hospitals of the supplies they had for situations like this. 

I think nationwide we'll see lower traffic fatalities.
On the flip side I think domestic violence/abuse and the number of times the police have to intervene will raise considerably. 

Sorry that's not positive but it does put a spotlight on a problem. 

If you have available cash, major short term gains(1 year) in the stock market will be coming if you time it right and you can then parlay those gains into discounted real estate(lags stocks) eventually ending up in boatloads.

Lots of positives if you were smart and saved for a rainy day after a record 11 year bull run.  You won’t see many opportunities like this in your lifetime.

Lucky b@stard.  I would kill for some good weather right now in NY, would just lay out in the sun all day like a walrus.
We live on a lake. Walked our son around it today and had a picnic. Watched the turtles and gators. Unbelievably blessed to be able to do that during this. Keeps my sanity. 

Its spring.    Cold here in NJ today but weather has been really nice recently.  With no snow on the ground since December, mountain biking conditions are pretty much perfect.   I'm so grateful this virus didn't hit in the middle of Jan during a bad winter.    Being stuck inside all the time with shorter evening daylight would have been terrible.

We live on a lake. Walked our son around it today and had a picnic. Watched the turtles and gators. Unbelievably blessed to be able to do that during this. Keeps my sanity. 
We have snow flurries here in NY today. So there’s that. 

https://twitter.com/_sjpeace_/status/1241714216748408832?s=21

I can do this all day, folks. Positive mindset!
The teachers at an elementary school in my neighborhood did a drive-through yesterday.  Published a schedule of when they'd start and what their route would be, and told the families they'd just be waving at them - and not to let the kids run up to say hi - but that they just wanted to keep in touch and say hello that way.

For me, this has been great.

I can work from home, but realistically I can only do 3-4 hours of work a day.  We are in day 6 of a mandatory 14 day quarantine.

I needed a reset in my mental health. With 3 kids and all of them in activities, every day was a massive stress bomb. We were able to do an actual spring break in Florida before the #### hit the fan. So we were blessed with a week at my mom's semi-private place in Naples, and went right into an unforeseen quarantine the  day we got back.

But for me and my wife, we are getting 3 weeks with the kids and no activities. Just us - playing board games. Hardly any TV. Kids are playing wonderfully together and giving my wife and I space to do our work.

We are grilling almost every day. We are hanging outside without an activity to worry about rushing them to.....

I know this is serious. We are doing our part - we are taking the quarantine seriously. My wife and kids will be house bound for the next 30 days due to a KC mandated stay-at-home. I will have to go back to work next week as I am in an essential business.

But for me, I am strangely the most relaxed I have been in since my first son was born 15 years ago.

I'm not going to lie--the fact that the shop that I manage is on lockdown indefinitely does scare me a bit financially.  Luckily--I've been good at saving and stashing funds away--so I'm not like panic'd--but I am a bit worried. With that said--I'd say that over the past 15 or so years--I've been working 50-60 hours a week on average.  Even when I wasn't at work--I'd still be working from home answering emails, texts, and messages from social media.  

The past week has been such a mental vacation for me--as I've basically only had to worry about staying away from people and keeping myself and elderly mother away from harm.   Luckily I thought this virus was going to be a threat very early on--so I stockpiled basic necessities without going to the point of hoarding--so I haven't even had to worry about supplies much at all.   I've even managed to invest some time in myself physically and squeeze in some nice walks on empty streets and use my eliptical when it's raining.   The past week has basically slowed down my normally frantic world. 

I'm on a private set of courts tonight and as my Doubles match is winding down I see a 7 year old boy and his mother walk on to the court next to us and the kid looked like he really enjoyed playing but didn't know how to do much yet and mom was just trying to get him some exercise by tossing a few balls at him, he had a very poor excuse for a racket but he had a smile and enthusiasm that was hard to miss. 

I told the guys on a changeover to hold up a minute and grabbed one of my rackets in the bag to let him hit with and asked the boy if anyone had shown him how to swing a racket, he said no. I told him we had to keep our social distance but I would show him how easy it was with a simple 4 step, turn-bend-point-swing approach and I had him hitting the ball and making real contact on the racket in just a couple swings, his mother looked shocked. She told me he had seen us playing thru the window at their condo and wanted to come over and watch. 

I didn't blink, I told the kid "You keep" the racket and I'll pick it up from my friend after the virus scare passes. I'm not getting that racket back and that's perfectly OK.

Now...Before you applaud, let me tell you the other side of the coin or what was happening a few minutes prior to this boy walking onto the courts. My buddy from Merrill Lynch who has had a rollercoaster ride at work this past couple weeks, brings a 12 pack of Corona to enjoy and I grab one of these ice cold bottles and bring it up to my lips and start chugging at the service line as they take this wonderful photo of me with the Corona bottle/label clearly front and center with my #### eating grin on display, and he sends it out to all our tennis buddies to rub it in we were playing and the caption reads...Corona Virus-19 Party, 1 down 18 to go!  I'm going straight to hell 😂

I was going to start a separate thread "Coronavirus - What is it good for?" and focus on things that, once we are out of crisis mode/lockdowns/stoppages/etc, will hopefully improve for us personally, people in general, and our country/government.  Seems to dovetail with what GB @Otis has going here so I'll pose the question in this thread.  Some things that come to mind (some of which are alluded to in here already):

• Better hygiene.  Hopefully people will improve their habits of washing hands, sanitizing, covering their mouths, etc.
  • Social distancing.  I know we are a social bunch, but respecting the personal space of others has always been a pet peeve of mine.
  • Educated on pandemics.  The general public had not seen anything quite like this in their lifetime... it was always just a "possible threat".  Now that people know what it means, should it happen again, it will be taken more seriously.
  • Readiness.  Like above, this should provide a blueprint for governments and health officials/workers to be better prepared to handle something like this.
  • Educated on biology, health, geography, politics, world affairs, etc.  Global events like this "force" us all to know more about the world.  Smarter people make that world better IMO.
  • Focus on family.  People (jokingly?) complain about having all their kids at home.  That time is precious and should be cherished.  People will look back at these family times together as fun, bonding moments.  I only hope family time will continue with greater frequency for everyone once things are back to normal.  I wish I could have all my kids under my roof right now.
  • Focus on financial health.  Hopefully this will entice people to pay better attention to their savings, retirement, etc. 
  • Less reliance on foreign goods/services.  Especially those countries that don't play fair.  Medications, supplies, fuel, etc.  I struggle with this based on my belief in capitalism... I know it's cheaper to get things elsewhere, but keeping it in house is beneficial in other ways (employment, economy, etc).
  • WFH tolerance, etiquette, acceptance, procedures.  I think the ability for people to WFH is essential, beneficial and productive.  I'm in IT, so I realize my job is easier to accommodate than most, but the benefits FAR outweigh the drawbacks for both companies and employees. YMMV in some industries, but the infrastructure reduction alone (traffic, office space, etc) would be positively affected.
  • I know that the anti-vax community has strong feelings about their "personal" rights.  I happen to strongly disagree with their argument regarding this and I think (hope) this situation should further highlight the need for vaccinations for the good of humanity.  i.e. society is sometimes more critical/important than the personal.
What 'cha got?

Users who are viewing this thread