What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Foreign Elections Thread - Currently: Brazil 🇧🇷 (2 Viewers)

Italy poised for glass-shattering vote, hard right turn

ROME — Italy is poised on Sunday for a norm-breaking election that’s expected to give the country its first-ever female prime minister — and its farthest-right government since the fall of Mussolini.

The vote is forecast to deliver victory to a coalition that includes two far-right forces, including the Fratelli d’Italia party of Giorgia Meloni, a once-marginal figure who vows to defend “traditional” social values, close off pathways to undocumented immigrants and push back against the “obscure bureaucrats” of Brussels.

While the rise of Meloni and the far right could ultimately turn into an epochal event in European politics — pushing Italy into an illiberal bloc with Poland and Hungary — it’s difficult for leaders to hold on to power in Rome, where zigzags are the norm, and the typical government lasts no more than 400 days. Meloni would face immediate tests at home and in Europe, given fatigue over soaring energy prices and divisions within her own coalition on Russia and its invasion of Ukraine.

The vote Sunday only fills the seats of parliament; the prime minister will be chosen later, indirectly. But if Fratelli d’Italia emerges with the most votes of any party in the fragmented system, it will give Meloni — a 45-year-old Roman who quotes pop songs and delights in bashing the “woke” left — the best shot at receiving the mandate from Italy’s president to form a government.

[A far-right politician is poised to become Italy’s first female leader]

It’s not an easy country to lead. Household wealth has scarcely improved in a generation. And mountainous national debt means any government, with missteps that scare investors, could edge toward a financial crisis. That would make for high stakes as Meloni began the job, as officials in other capitals watched to gauge her taste for disruption….

Is she really "far-right"? There is a noticeable trend of calling anything right-of-center the "far-right" that I don't know what to believe anymore.

Is she really "far-right"? There is a noticeable trend of calling anything right-of-center the "far-right" that I don't know what to believe anymore.
I had the same question, so I did some research since I know nothing about her. Apparently she belonged to a neo-facsist party when she was young and praised Mussolini as a great politician. She also fairly recently (in 2020) praised the founder of that neo-facsist party. As far as far-right policies that she supports, she supports Italian nationalism, denounces multiculturalism and believes in the great replacement theory. She also has some pretty conservative opinions on homosexuality. She doesn't believe homosexual relationships should be recognized by law or that homosexual couples should be able to adopt children.

I had the same question, so I did some research since I know nothing about her. Apparently she belonged to a neo-facsist party when she was young and praised Mussolini as a great politician. She also fairly recently (in 2020) praised the founder of that neo-facsist party. As far as far-right policies that she supports, she supports Italian nationalism, denounces multiculturalism and believes in the great replacement theory. She also has some pretty conservative opinions on homosexuality. She doesn't believe homosexual relationships should be recognized by law or that homosexual couples should be able to adopt children.

Thanks, Tymarsas!

Yeah, right off the bat praising Mussolini is a non-starter for me. Far right she is. Thanks!

If your political party is called the "Neo-Fascists" you might be a fascist. Or you might be way too into The Matrix.

I've got a trip booked there this spring, watching to be sure stuff doesn't get too nutty. Most likely won't but lately crazy stuff seems to happen on the regular.

According to western media (aka globalists aka enemy of the people) she is the second coming of Mussolini:

Do you believe she is incorrectly labeled far right?

According to western media (aka globalists aka enemy of the people) she is the second coming of Mussolini:

Do you believe she is incorrectly labeled far right?
Good question. The people did vote for her in a fair and free election, so it must be what they want.

Good question. The people did vote for her in a fair and free election, so it must be what they want.
So...its a good question, and instead of an answer, we get a completely different comment? I mean, I don't expect boze to answer, I expect another laughing emoji while he claims to ignore everyone.
Sure...she was voted for in a free election. Doesn't really address my question.

Nationalism, anti-globalism, nativism, anti-immigrant sentiment is rising, all over the western world. It’s scary; we need to fight these ideas wherever they raise their ugly heads.

I see the usual fear mongers are having a moment.
So...its a good question, and instead of an answer, we get a completely different comment? I mean, I don't expect boze to answer, I expect another laughing emoji while he claims to ignore everyone.
Sure...she was voted for in a free election. Doesn't really address my question.
I don’t know enough about Italian media, but if it’s manipulated like here, it’s probably not far right. I will watch some foreign tv this week and see how it’s covered. Maybe she is proud to be compared to Mussiolini - if so, there’s the answer. That would lead to why did the voters choose that path?

I see the usual fear mongers are having a moment.
I don’t know enough about Italian media, but if it’s manipulated like here, it’s probably not far right. I will watch some foreign tv this week and see how it’s covered. Maybe she is proud to be compared to Mussiolini - if so, there’s the answer. That would lead to why did the voters choose that path?
see @tymarsas post above...seems calling her far right is pretty fitting. Nor is it fear mongering.

Even Fox News has a headline saying

Italians vote in election that could take far-right to power

And

Italy’s Giorgia Meloni poised to win election as Europe turns right, exit polls show

(“Should she win, Meloni would be well-positioned to become Italy's first far-right premier since the end of World War II and the first woman in the country to hold that office. Her party – with neo-fascist roots – would need to form a coalition with her main allies, anti-migrant League leader Matteo Salvini and conservative former Premier Silvio Berlusconi to command a solid majority in Parliament.”)

Nationalism, anti-globalism, nativism, anti-immigrant sentiment is rising, all over the western world. It’s scary; we need to fight these ideas wherever they raise their ugly heads.
Do you even know what is going on in Italy that could be sparking an anti-immigration sentiment. What about the other EU countries doing there fair share. What about the crime these migrants have brought to Italy. I was in Castel Gandolfo this summer (Pope's residency) and sitting in the square and all of a sudden the Carbinieri pull up and tell the shop owner this elderly woman was mugged by an immigrant. That was the first violent incident in that small town in years the shop owner told me. When Migrants enter Italy they are processed and sent to other EU nations to resettle per the agreement but the other EU nations are not accepting these migrants so they are left to assimilate in Italy hence all the sentiment.

Brazil tomorrow is going to be a big one. Bolsonaro versus Lula da Silva. Lula is favored, but could be a runoff later in the month if no candidate passes 50%. Bolsonaro has been laying the groundwork for challenging the legitimacy of the election for months.

What you need to know about Brazil’s election
No wonder Trump loves the guy!

This one is interesting, for sure. Just want to see someone somewhere reject the trend towards autocracy for once.

Bolsonaro seeming to beat the polls so far, but runoff looking likely….

🇧🇷#Brazil, presidential election results (1st round):

52,21 % of polling places counted:

Bolsonaro (PL-inc): 46,31 %
Lula (PT): 44,86 %
Tebet (MDB): 4,53 %
Gomes (PDT): 3,09 %

#Eleicoes2022

Users who are viewing this thread