What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Foster Transitioned (1 Viewer)

friday frenzy wrote:

And contrary to the wire report posted at NFL.com, Foster isn't automatically "guaranteed" $5.13 million for 2006. For transition players, the one-year tender only becomes guaranteed at the start of the regular season; until then, the team can remove the transition tag at any time, and instantly free up the cap room. Thus, if the Panthers are at some point close to striking a deal with Alexander, all they need to do is revoke the tag as to Foster, and they'll have an extra $5.13 million in 2006 cap dollars to work with.
Where did you get this info? My understanding has been once a tag is signed it is gaurenteed. If not, that is patently unfair to the player since I know the club can withdraw the tag and leave the player with nothing.I'm going to ask one of my friends in the league with knowledge for clarification.
Very few contracts are "guaranteed", but it ties up $5 million in cap space for Carolina, so unless the Panthers are $10-15 million under the cap, it does signify a major commitment to Foster.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. You are assuming that Carolina would not bring someone else in during the offseason.

2. They still have a young RB in Shelton they can play instead of Goings.

3. What kind of lucrative deal can Foster get elsewhere in SEPTEMBER after most teams have already signed their new RBs and rookies?
1. If they bring in a new RB, they won't keep Foster on the roster for $5 million.2. I keep hearing that the coaching staff doesn't like Shelton.

3. There will be plenty of teams with lots of leftover cap space in September, just like there always is.

Why would Carolina give him that kind of money when they can get a much more talented (and durable) free agent like Edgerrin James?
Maybe because Foster is a very good RB who just has had some bad luck with injuries, whereas Edge is very soft.Or maybe it has to do with the fact that the Panthers don't have the money to spend on Edge.
:lmao: Quite possibly one of the funniest critiques of James I have ever heard. I do not think you could be any farther off base. Are you going to tell us how good of a pocket passer Vick is next?

Regardless of the tag, I do not see Foster staying in CAR, unless he takes a big pay cut. CAR has enough history in dealing with injuries to know they can not depend on him. The tag can be withdrawn too.

1. You are assuming that Carolina would not bring someone else in during the offseason.

3. What kind of lucrative deal can Foster get elsewhere in SEPTEMBER after most teams have already signed their new RBs and rookies?
1. If they bring in a new RB, they won't keep Foster on the roster for $5 million.2. I keep hearing that the coaching staff doesn't like Shelton.

3. There will be plenty of teams with lots of leftover cap space in September, just like there always is.
My post was in response that Carolina would never cut Foster:
That does not make sense. How could they threaten to cut him in Sept?

Carolina: Foster we will cut you if you dont sign this deal.

Foster: Okay, But if you cut me you can start the season with Nick Goings carrying the ball.

They will not cut him period.
My point was never say never. But you bring up valid points that actually support me:1. You may be right that they may not keep Foster if they bring in someone else.

2. Curious to hear that they don't like Shelton based on 4 preseason games. Do you have a link? Veen if they are not enamoured with him, they are not releasing him and would probably still be a better option than Goings.

3. Yes some teams will have some cap space, but find a team that has a combination of need (after signing other RBs in the offseason), cap money not all teams will have it), and are willing to pay him BIG money like he would as a FA. I agree that they won't cut him because of this, but they may threaten him with this.

saying the Panthers don't have money to spend on Edge when they just tagged Foster at a price of $5.5 million for the year. I don't follow.
I see another angle here. See, Edge would could very easily be $5.5 or more with the way the CBA is structured right now. If they made a bid for Edge or SA they could only prorate the contract over 4 years rather than the usual 7. With Wayne getting $13.5 in a signing bonus it will take $16 Million to sign Edge. That's $4 mill a year off the cap without a base salary. Maybe Carolina is looking at this as a way to buy time until the CBA is extended. The CBA may be extended in a couple of weeks after some negotiations. At that point they could cut Foster and make an offer for Edge, SA or Lewis.

My guess as to why the Panthers did this: with so many quality RBs available on the free market (and draft), the Panthers are banking on Foster NOT recieving a very good deal, something the Panthers can match. If he does get a good deal, the Panthers let him walk.

If he does not sign a deal, the Panthers will force their offer on to him during the summer, and threaten to cut him early Sept (in which there will be no market for him) if he does not sign their lowball offer. This is straight out of Charger Management 101.
Yeah, that's my take as well. If some team signs him to a "Chester Taylor"-type deal (e.g. $3M per season), then Carolina matches. But if Foster gets stupid money, the Panthers let him walk.
:goodposting:

friday frenzy wrote:

And contrary to the wire report posted at NFL.com, Foster isn't automatically "guaranteed" $5.13 million for 2006. For transition players, the one-year tender only becomes guaranteed at the start of the regular season; until then, the team can remove the transition tag at any time, and instantly free up the cap room. Thus, if the Panthers are at some point close to striking a deal with Alexander, all they need to do is revoke the tag as to Foster, and they'll have an extra $5.13 million in 2006 cap dollars to work with.
Where did you get this info? My understanding has been once a tag is signed it is gaurenteed. If not, that is patently unfair to the player since I know the club can withdraw the tag and leave the player with nothing.I'm going to ask one of my friends in the league with knowledge for clarification.
It's only guarenteed if the player was tagged the previous year. (Drew Brees)
I was under the understanding that the tag brings the same guaranteed money that one had in the previous season, so if Foster had guaranteed money in his contract last year, that it would the same amount in the transition tag this year.
....Article XX, Section 14 of the CBA reads in part, “ . . . the Required Tenders of a one year Player Contract for at least 120% of the Franchise Player's or Transition Player's Prior Year Salaries shall in addition to the 120% Salary also include all other terms of the player's Prior Year contract, including any guarantees

Last edited by a moderator:

Foster: Okay, But if you cut me you can start the season with Nick Goings carrying the ball.

My point was never say never. But you bring up valid points that actually support me:1. You may be right that they may not keep Foster if they bring in someone else.

2. Curious to hear that they don't like Shelton based on 4 preseason games. Do you have a link? Veen if they are not enamoured with him, they are not releasing him and would probably still be a better option than Goings.

3. Yes some teams will have some cap space, but find a team that has a combination of need (after signing other RBs in the offseason), cap money not all teams will have it), and are willing to pay him BIG money like he would as a FA. I agree that they won't cut him because of this, but they may threaten him with this.
Call out to Bass-n-Brew to get the true skinny on Shelton.With the trans Tag on Foster, and rumors of S.Davis getting cut, does Shelton step in as the #2?

I too have herd of the coaching dissapointment in him.

Call out to Bass-n-Brew to get the true skinny on Shelton.With the trans Tag on Foster, and rumors of S.Davis getting cut, does Shelton step in as the #2?

I too have herd of the coaching dissapointment in him.
Won't know until mini-camp as to how he's progressing. Last year he couldn't compete with He-Hate-Me or J. Robertson. I do expect Davis to be back. This whole transition tag just means the backfield is a work in progress. If you're drafting now, just avoid this mess. There will be plenty of value once we have some real clues to work with.

I think this was an awful decision on the part of the Panthers. He's obviously talented, but at some point you have to stop making excuses for his injury history. Even if his injuries have all been unrelated, there's a cumulative impact of each injury which HAS to give the team pause in terms of relying on him.

As an Eagles fan, I'm thrilled to hear this news :thumbup:
Doesn't even come close to the thrill of watching TO destory your franchise for years to come. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
By the way...I forgot the thrill of watching Foster carry/bulldoze hapless Eagle defenders into the endzone on your home turf in route to a Super Bowl appearence.

I think this was an awful decision on the part of the Panthers. He's obviously talented, but at some point you have to stop making excuses for his injury history. Even if his injuries have all been unrelated, there's a cumulative impact of each injury which HAS to give the team pause in terms of relying on him.

Doesn't even come close to the thrill of watching TO destory your franchise for years to come. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
By the way...I forgot the thrill of watching Foster carry/bulldoze hapless Eagle defenders into the endzone on your home turf in route to a Super Bowl appearence.
And I enjoyed watching Foster on the sideline versus the Seahawks in the NFC Championship game.

And I enjoyed watching Foster on the sideline versus the Seahawks in the NFC Championship game.
That was good, but not as enjoyable as watching offensive pass interference in the endzone. :towelwave:

Users who are viewing this thread