What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Friday Night Lights (1 Viewer)

I liked the Tyra storyline. I found it pretty affecting how she almost let herself believe in something for a brief instance.

I don't even neccessarily hate the Lila/Riggins storyline, although I'm not sure the actress can pull off the whole self-destructive vibe.

The football stuff really needs to tone down the cliche though. Can we have a game that doesn't go to the last play? Do we need Voodoo to be shown as that blatantly disruptive that quickly?

This is a show that has a lot of good things going for it, particularly a pretty likeable cast, but I fear that the one thing it does worst, the football, is what they need as the hook.

I liked the Tyra storyline. I found it pretty affecting how she almost let herself believe in something for a brief instance.I don't even neccessarily hate the Lila/Riggins storyline, although I'm not sure the actress can pull off the whole self-destructive vibe.The football stuff really needs to tone down the cliche though. Can we have a game that doesn't go to the last play? Do we need Voodoo to be shown as that blatantly disruptive that quickly?This is a show that has a lot of good things going for it, particularly a pretty likeable cast, but I fear that the one thing it does worst, the football, is what they need as the hook.
I agree with much of this post

TLEF316 said:
this might be the most predictable and cliche show ive ever seen. Could they lay it on any thicker.
I'm with you. It's obvious they aren't pandering to the Masterpiece Theatre crowd.That said, I watch it every week :ph34r:

TannerBoyle said:
TLEF316 said:
this might be the most predictable and cliche show ive ever seen. Could they lay it on any thicker.
Yeah I gave it a few weeks but it's getting worse.CLEAREYESFULLHEARTS!!
But its an accurate representation of atleast some high school football programs. Sr year our head coach got a job coaching juco and one our assistants was appointed as a first time head coach. Our jerseys were red and so he came up with this whole Big Red Machine theme that included group chanting, posters, and other misc junk. We all thought he was completely nuts, but he did it.

When this show first came on, I said I'd stick with it as long as it retained the spirit of the book/film and didn't turn into a pandering soap opera. It's doing the latter, and I still can't stop watching the damn show. I really like it, and I don't even know why.

Except for Lyla. Jesus, is she hot.

Anyone know how this is doing in the ratings? Are we going to get a full season/renewal, or am I getting into a show that's going to have the plug pulled on it in 3 weeks?

Show just got picked up for the entire season.

I am a big fan -- it's also the first football-related thing my wife has enjoyed watching in our 13 years of marriage.

I would enjoy seeing a game that isn't decided on a last-second miracle score. That's already happened twice in three games.

Coach not hiring that guy was interesting to me. I know several guys that got "shot down" like that.

I was half expectant of that RB not doing well in front of the scout but had figured the show is being predictable so he'll do great. Somewhat glad there's a storyline there now.

Awaiting the player dating coach's daughter storyline

Show just got picked up for the entire season.I am a big fan -- it's also the first football-related thing my wife has enjoyed watching in our 13 years of marriage.I would enjoy seeing a game that isn't decided on a last-second miracle score. That's already happened twice in three games.
Last night's game wasn't. Kudos to them for that - it was starting to get absurd.

TannerBoyle said:
I haven't read the whole thread so let me know if I'm wrong but...This was their 4th game of the season right? And the Street kid was crippled in the first game of the season, right?Didn't his dad say something about the accident only happening 2 months ago? 3 games in 2 months?
hmmmm. good point. bye weeks :unsure:

I like this show, its not bad at all. Predictable, stereotypical, corny, yes...but its one of the few shows the wife and I can watch together.

It doesn't bastardize the book like the movie did....that was awful. I remember reading that book in the summer of 92. Great read.

My biggest complaint is the amount and length of advertisements. I would not watch this show if I didn't have it Tivod to skip the ads. Last night at one point, we had 4 minutes of ads, 5 minutes of the show, then another 4 mins of ads. :wall:

And Lyla.....oh my.... :wub:

TannerBoyle said:
I haven't read the whole thread so let me know if I'm wrong but...This was their 4th game of the season right? And the Street kid was crippled in the first game of the season, right?Didn't his dad say something about the accident only happening 2 months ago? 3 games in 2 months?
Tyra and Riggins' brother also raked in about $2,000-$3,000 profit off of a party full of highschoolers, so I take everything on the show with a grain of salt.

TannerBoyle said:
TannerBoyle said:
Tyra and Riggins' brother also raked in about $2,000-$3,000 profit off of a party full of highschoolers, so I take everything on the show with a grain of salt.
Right...and 2 months after coming within a fraction of an inch of being totally paralyzed the kid is ready to play murderball
My GF and I discussed that last night.In Riggins' truck the week before, he was whipping his head and arms around like Pete Townsend on speed, but when they gave him the game ball last night, his hand was like Ray McKigney's gnarled claw.

Another miracle win at the buzzer.

Love the show but do the writers understand that last second victories are not that common? Starting to really annoy me!

Another miracle win at the buzzer.Love the show but do the writers understand that last second victories are not that common? Starting to really annoy me!
That's the biggest problem I have with the show. Show us a blow out and reveal character by showing which coaches and players have sportsmanship and which don't. Show us a blow out to demonstrate that the team is as good as they imply they are. Show us a game where they get dominated. They seem to be in a lot of close games for a team that thinks it's going to the playoffs. Also I wish they mentioned the team's record from time to time. I wouldn't mind them not showing a game that didn't come down to the last play as long as they at least mentioned it.

Do you think Saricen (sp?) and his grandmother have ever made out?"Is that a Member's Only jacket?"
My favorite line last night was when Saracen came to pick up the coach's daughter:Coach: You want a beer?Saracen: :unsure: Uh.. um.. no thanks... I'm driving.Coach: <_< I was joking.

Also I wish they mentioned the team's record from time to time.
agree with your comments, just wanted to mention that the QB's friend (actor is from Mart, TX, btw) made a comment in last night's episode that the Panthers were a 500 team going into the game.as an aside, that dude is my favorite character. "Hey, Matt, I'm going to start a Christian speed metal band. You want in?"

Another miracle win at the buzzer.Love the show but do the writers understand that last second victories are not that common? Starting to really annoy me!
It's not the last second victory that annoyed me last night so much as the fact that the devoted a whopping 3 whole minutes to the coverage of the game.

doughboydeluxe said:
Do you think Saricen (sp?) and his grandmother have ever made out?"Is that a Member's Only jacket?"
My favorite line last night was when Saracen came to pick up the coach's daughter:Coach: You want a beer?Saracen: :unsure: Uh.. um.. no thanks... I'm driving.Coach: <_< I was joking.
Good grief, if I had a daughter I doubt I'd find any safer choice for her than Saracen. That guys IQ is in the tumbleweed range, seems perfectly harmless, and he sees the kid everyday.If she was going out with Riggins or Smash, well, yeah I'd be a little worried.I also agree they need a little more football action on the show. I don't even need the games, just give me a freakin montage of them practicing or something. I can't be the only one tired of this All My Children type crap. The writers have to know you can bring in a whole new crop of kids every year, so go for broke with every storyline you have for those characters. I don't want to see Riggins as a 30 year old finally becoming a senior.

I thought last night's episode was ok. Lyla is still hot, Coach's wife is getting hotter (so is coach's daughter), and Riggins' ex needs a new makeup artist, the bags under her eyes are looking heavy.

I think the Reverend's daughter didn't go to Africa, I think she was pregnant, maybe even by the reverend.

Did anyone catch the website that is devoted to Lyla being a "whore"? I'd really like to see it.

Didn't even see the game last night - not happy with that - do they not show the game unless it is a miracle finish?

Not buying this whole QB v Coach over the daughter thing - I would be thrilled in my daughter dated a #### like him!

Loved the Leila is a whore angle - seemed pretty believable - until they punked out and had Street show up at her event!

Come on - just cause your a cripple doesn't mean you have to settle for scraps!!!

Bump

Very formulaic show, but I'm liking it. The fact that all the women in the show are smokin' hot, one after the other, sure doesn't hurt.

Did anyone recognize the actress that played Tyra's mother in this past week's episode?

BumpVery formulaic show, but I'm liking it. The fact that all the women in the show are smokin' hot, one after the other, sure doesn't hurt.Did anyone recognize the actress that played Tyra's mother in this past week's episode?
I didn't recognize her. Who is she?

Bump

Very formulaic show, but I'm liking it. The fact that all the women in the show are smokin' hot, one after the other, sure doesn't hurt.

Did anyone recognize the actress that played Tyra's mother in this past week's episode?
It was Mrs. Stanwyck from Fletch. The wife that Fletch eventually hooked up with. The name looked familiar in the opening credits.

Bump

It was Mrs. Stanwyck from Fletch. The wife that Fletch eventually hooked up with. The name looked familiar in the opening credits.
Are you talking about her?

BumpVery formulaic show, but I'm liking it. The fact that all the women in the show are smokin' hot, one after the other, sure doesn't hurt.Did anyone recognize the actress that played Tyra's mother in this past week's episode?
She played Wyatt Earp's wife in Tombstone.

Bump

:bye: I didn't see her credited for FNL on IMDB, so perhaps I'm wrong after all. I did see her name in the opening credits of the show, and no one else seemed to guest star that would be her.

Bump

:unsure: I didn't see her credited for FNL on IMDB, so perhaps I'm wrong after all. I did see her name in the opening credits of the show, and no one else seemed to guest star that would be her.
You're not wrong - it was definitely her. Led to a bunch of John Coctostan lines during this past episode. :rolleyes:

I might be the only person still watching this show, but good episode last night.

Mrs. Stanwyk sure developed quite a rack over the years. :yes:

I might be the only person still watching this show, but good episode last night.Mrs. Stanwyk sure developed quite a rack over the years. :goodposting:
It's good every week. Not sure why more people haven't picked up on it, but I sure hope they do quickly or it's one season and out.

I might be the only person still watching this show, but good episode last night.Mrs. Stanwyk sure developed quite a rack over the years. :wall:
It's good every week. Not sure why more people haven't picked up on it, but I sure hope they do quickly or it's one season and out.
I don't think the ratings are very good. Looks like it's indeed headed to the land of one-and-done.

I might be the only person still watching this show, but good episode last night.Mrs. Stanwyk sure developed quite a rack over the years. :wall:
I don't think the ratings are very good. Looks like it's indeed headed to the land of one-and-done.
Last I looked was a couple months ago, but the ratings were pretty dismal - I think it was placing in the 70s and 80s among prime time shows out of barely over 100 total programs. "Joey" got better ratings than this did. However, NBC stood behind it because it's a well-written, well-acted show and they've been desperately pushing it trying to up the ratings. Don't know if it's working or not - I don't know a site where you can get overnight ratings and such...

I might be the only person still watching this show, but good episode last night.

Mrs. Stanwyk sure developed quite a rack over the years. :thumbup:
Last I looked was a couple months ago, but the ratings were pretty dismal - I think it was placing in the 70s and 80s among prime time shows out of barely over 100 total programs. "Joey" got better ratings than this did. However, NBC stood behind it because it's a well-written, well-acted show and they've been desperately pushing it trying to up the ratings. Don't know if it's working or not - I don't know a site where you can get overnight ratings and such...
I'm having problems downloading at work, but Nielsen ratings are here:http://www.nielsenmedia.com/nc/portal/site...000880a260aRCRD

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs. Stanwyk sure developed quite a rack over the years. :goodposting:
I'm having problems downloading at work, but Nielsen ratings are here:http://www.nielsenmedia.com/nc/portal/site...000880a260aRCRD
Only shows the top 10

Users who are viewing this thread