What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pay to have your Christmas lights up? (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
Saw one of my neighbors just do this....maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon or a blue collar guy in a white collar world. But why the hell would you do this? Lawn maintenance sure I get. pool maintenance sure I get that. Whatever other tasks you want to add here I could probably understand.

But lights just don't freaking decorate. Put them couple of lights out in the yard or on a bush or something

I don't get it yells at cloud

Common practice in the elite neighborhoods around here, if you shell out enough you can get a display timed to music.

Sometimes I think I'm an anachronism. I can do my own yard, my own pool, carpentry, etc. Heck, I painted my house a bit back to make sure it was done right. Paying for lights is #432 of things I'd consider hiring outside help.

Some people in my neighborhood do. I do not. Now the extensive light installations that my neighbors do, I would totally pay a professional to do that, as it requires climbing all over the roof, and doing all sorts of other dangerous stuff. But I have no interest in lighting up my house in that manner. I used to light the front walkway and our front door. Now I just do the front door. I have pre-existing hooks and am done in about 60 seconds.

I'd like to eventually get the permanent lights from Govee or something. I'll probably pay for the installation. Because even if I trusted myself to do the installation, I sure as hell wouldn't do it from a ladder. And renting a cherry picker thingy for the day is going to run me a couple of hundred bucks and the lights are going to be similar.

ok, this is going to sound odd, for a number of years before we broke down and got a new artificial tree, I would pay for a guy to come in and put lights on the tree,

it was a 12 footer and she wanted the lights carefully woven into the branches - not just strung around

and it was a source of meltdowns when the lights didn't work - I mean we both dreaded the experience, so it was money well spent (and was only $75 - $125 a year ...went up a bit each year)

we went with a 10 foot pre-lit "flip tree" last year and it's been great ...a bit more manageable than the 12 foot and since it's new - no problems with lights not working.

Yes, I absolutely pay a guy to put up our Christmas lights. It's fairly common in my town. I used to really love putting up my own, but somewhere along the way they became too intricate (involving ladders and big wreaths up at the second story), and my time too limited, for me to still justify doing it myself.

PS it's not cheap, but we don't even do the really intricate ones. Two blocks down from us is the main block in town, with massive houses and lights wrapped around every single branch of these massive trees. I feel like if you're moving to that block, you sort of have to take on the responsibility of doing it. Must be thousands each season.

I hate getting up on the roof these days so I'd pay someone to put up lights before I pay someone to mow the grass. That said, I'm not putting up outside lights anymore and last year waited until a couple of days before Christmas to put up the tree. At least I got the tree done already.

Don't understand in the slightest why this is an issue. My wife likes Christmas lights. I hate putting up Christmas lights. Someone offers a simple solution to our problem in exchange for money. Done and done.

It wasn't so bad when we were in Florida and it was 80 degrees out. But here in Northern Utah it might be 20 degrees and overcast on a good day and the few years I did it, it was miserable. Climbing around on a giant ladder for our pitched roof trying to clip on those stupid plastic clips and hold onto the ladder when my fingers are numb and I can't even tell if I'm still actually holding it or not.

Screw that. I'm not gonna die so some nerds on an internet forum are impressed. "Look at me. I put up my own Christmas lights because I'm a MAN".

ok, this is going to sound odd, for a number of years before we broke down and got a new artificial tree, I would pay for a guy to come in and put lights on the tree,

it was a 12 footer and she wanted the lights carefully woven into the branches - not just strung around

and it was a source of meltdowns when the lights didn't work - I mean we both dreaded the experience, so it was money well spent (and was only $75 - $125 a year ...went up a bit each year)

we went with a 10 foot pre-lit "flip tree" last year and it's been great ...a bit more manageable than the 12 foot and since it's new - no problems with lights not working.

I would have absolutely paid $100 for someone to do lights for a twelve foot tree with that kind of detail. Thankfully we never had a tree that big back when we had natural trees. Now we have a pre-lit tree and it’s small - nine feet tall but only three feet across at the base.

Don't understand in the slightest why this is an issue. My wife likes Christmas lights. I hate putting up Christmas lights. Someone offers a simple solution to our problem in exchange for money. Done and done.

It wasn't so bad when we were in Florida and it was 80 degrees out. But here in Northern Utah it might be 20 degrees and overcast on a good day and the few years I did it, it was miserable. Climbing around on a giant ladder for our pitched roof trying to clip on those stupid plastic clips and hold onto the ladder when my fingers are numb and I can't even tell if I'm still actually holding it or not.

Screw that. I'm not gonna die so some nerds on an internet forum are impressed. "Look at me. I put up my own Christmas lights because I'm a MAN".

Not an issue for me. I stated upthread I would 100% pay a professional to do that kind of installation if we had any interest in doing lights like that (thankfully, we don’t).

I would die on the hill of no lights before I pay someone. I don't argue with the wife much but that is one I would fight over. They are stupid lights. I love Christmas and light up the bushes and all that but no way.....

I do hate all the decorating season by season though....such a waste of time and energy. Get off my lawn

I haven't put out lights in years but it seemed like a fun thing to do on a day that didn't have too much else going on. It's the taking them down I could see paying someone else to do.

Do it myself. Years ago I put the hooks up. Wired a separate circuit with plugs in the soffits tied to a switch in my basement. I can turn on the whole display with one switch.

Have all my lights marked so I know exactly where they go. I then use a 30 foot retractable pole with a deck screw at one end so I have a little hook to grab the string so I can put them up and take them down while standing on the ground or using a 6‘ step ladder.

it’s a 3 beer project to put them up and 1 beer to take them down.

If I ever pay someone to do it @belljr has my permission to select the shovel of his choice from my garage and smack me in the jewels with it.

I paid a guy $250 several years back to do it as to get to the highest peak of my roof requires a 36’ ladder - I don’t have one and not interested in buying one. I borrowed my neighbors 28’ ladder this year and did it all but the one peak which I just skipped over. I think it looks fine although maybe a little off. I’m not afraid of heights but have a healthy fear of falling.

Just put mine up. my 2nd favorite house task next to taking care of the yard. the professional jobs do look nice but its really for someone else's house that's going for that home and garden magazine look; that ain't me nor do I ever desire it to be.

When my trees got too big and it became a PITA we switched to a wreath and candle per street facing window. Open top of window, toss out wreath attached to wide ribbon, close window to hold ribbon / wreath in place, plug in electric candle with timer... done.

Given that 1) I'm horrible at this sort of stuff; and 2) time is money and I'd make more money by working during that time and paying professionals, this would be a no-brainer for me if I was tasked to put up Christmas lights.

Fortunately, my wife is a homemaker and she enjoys doing this stuff herself.

I would die on the hill of no lights before I pay someone. I don't argue with the wife much but that is one I would fight over. They are stupid lights. I love Christmas and light up the bushes and all that but no way.....

I do hate all the decorating season by season though....such a waste of time and energy. Get off my lawn
I feel the same as you and think that Christmas lights are a waste of time, but I also know I'd either lose this fight with my wife or win this fight and she's mad at me for a few days (which is worth paying to avoid in of itself)

Last edited:
We pay to have them put up and taken down each year and have been doing it for many years. Considering permanent holiday lighting for next summer.

I would not pay anyone, just dial back the deco.

I do mine myself. I throw in some headphones and make an evening out of it. My roof has a low pitch so it’s easily walkable on both levels. I have the ends marked with tape so I just spread them out. Takes a half a day but that’s because I’m taking my time and taking a lot of beer/smoke/food breaks.

The roof is easy, managing all the extension cords is probably the most annoying/hardest part.

I’ll never get on my roof. Risk/reward scenario. I haven’t paid to do my roof yet, we just decorate everywhere else. But, my wife asked about calling one of these companies. I like the idea of the permanent lights they put under the soffits. Then you can turn it on for Halloween or whatever as well.

Did my own lights with help from the wife last weekend. She wanted me to hire it out. Have to say if she wants many more lights in the future, it will be hired out. I'm only 47 and in decent shape, but I find no joy in getting up and down the ladder and even less so walking on the roof for a few sections.

The times they are a-changing. Back in the day, FBGs was a haven for the wealthy and blue blooded who were flush with cash, willing to shell out for frivolous things only because they were making money quicker then they could spend it.

Alas, it appears those days are gone. I’d pour out a little of my 40 but wouldn’t want to be accused of being wasteful.

We put in those gutter guards this year which cover the area I usually clipped the lights to. I haven't really looked for new hangers yet to figure out how I will be able to hang the lights. I am hoping that my answer of "I am not sure how to hang the lights due to the new gutter guards" will allow me to forego doing this altogether. Time will tell.

Common practice in the elite neighborhoods around here, if you shell out enough you can get a display timed to music.
I would only consider this if I get to keep all the lights and electronics afterwards!

Typically you do. But you usually have to buy them.

At least that's how it works around here. You tell them what you want. They tell you what you need and then you either buy the lights yourself or buy them through them. Depending on how much you spend if you buy through them you might get the install free the 1st year. But you're buying the lights. And they're yours to keep so if you decide not to use them in the future you can just have someone else put them up (or do it yourself). Or if they're not too obtrusive some people will even just leave them up after the company puts them up the first time. You own the lights so you can do whatever you want with them.

I would have absolutely paid $100 for someone to do lights for a twelve foot tree with that kind of detail. Thankfully we never had a tree that big back when we had natural trees. Now we have a pre-lit tree and it’s small - nine feet tall but only three feet across at the base.
So I know this is a little bit of a tangent to the post (BTW, yes I would pay for someone to light my house because me and ladders don't mix), but our cat destroyed our artificial tree last year. He thought it was a cat tree and climbed and climbed and broke it. This year my wife lays the law down saying we are not getting another tree just so he can do it again. I wasn't happy and so I went to the dollar store and bought a tree that is a foot tall and put it up in the corner just to make a point. She relents and says lets go get a cheap tree.

At this point I should mention we have 24 foot ceilings and the idea of having some dinky, six foot tree in the corner was not going to happen on my watch. We get to the store and I observe her as she looks through the 4 to 6 foot offerings. I slowly started corralling her further down the aisle to the bigger ones. "Look at this 8 foot one!! Look this one is pre-lit." Ultimately, I get her to the area where I wanted to end up at--The 12-15 foot models. I shoot for the stars and really, really push for this 15 foot one--knowing I won't get it because it was over a thousand dollars. So as a compromise, we agree on a 12 foot one, not pre-lit. Right before we pull the trigger, I show her the one I really wanted all along--the 12 foot flocked, pre-lit, amazing beauty of a tree and she relents. It took three people to load it as it weighed in at just under 200 pounds, but I am proud to say we somehow fit it in the back of my Hyundai Veloster.

There is probably some Christmas lesson here or something, but I am not sure what it is.

I shoot for the stars and really, really push for this 15 foot one--knowing I won't get it because it was over a thousand dollars.
There is no way in hell I would ever spend anywhere close to this for a Christmas tree. That is absolutely ridiculous.

We stopped getting real trees when the cost become terrible for crappy looking trees. Went the fake tree route and spend something under $100 and it works just fine.

I pay to have my lights put up and taken down. I own a brownstone that is about 40 feet tall. I don't own a ladder that can put lights on the windows on the upper floors or across the cornice. In addition, if I feel I would die from the fall.

My wife wanted lights when we first bought the house and I told her I would not risk my life to put up lights so of course we pay for it.

ETA - they are getting installed on Sunday.

Saw one of my neighbors just do this....maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon or a blue collar guy in a white collar world. But why the hell would you do this? Lawn maintenance sure I get. pool maintenance sure I get that. Whatever other tasks you want to add here I could probably understand.

But lights just don't freaking decorate. Put them couple of lights out in the yard or on a bush or something

I don't get it yells at cloud
"Wife likes it decorated" down?

The 12-15 foot models. I shoot for the stars and really, really push for this 15 foot one--knowing I won't get it because it was over a thousand dollars. So as a compromise, we agree on a 12 foot one, not pre-lit. Right before we pull the trigger, I show her the one I really wanted all along--the 12 foot flocked, pre-lit, amazing beauty of a tree and she relents. It took three people to load it as it weighed in at just under 200 pounds, but I am proud to say we somehow fit it in the back of my Hyundai Veloster.

There is probably some Christmas lesson here or something, but I am not sure what it is.

Here is the lesson:

YOU WON!

Enjoy it. Savor it. Strut like a peacock my friend. From all the husbands out there:

YOU WON you sneaky magnificent beast!!! :headbang:

So I know this is a little bit of a tangent to the post (BTW, yes I would pay for someone to light my house because me and ladders don't mix), but our cat destroyed our artificial tree last year. He thought it was a cat tree and climbed and climbed and broke it. This year my wife lays the law down saying we are not getting another tree just so he can do it again. I wasn't happy and so I went to the dollar store and bought a tree that is a foot tall and put it up in the corner just to make a point. She relents and says lets go get a cheap tree.

At this point I should mention we have 24 foot ceilings and the idea of having some dinky, six foot tree in the corner was not going to happen on my watch. We get to the store and I observe her as she looks through the 4 to 6 foot offerings. I slowly started corralling her further down the aisle to the bigger ones. "Look at this 8 foot one!! Look this one is pre-lit." Ultimately, I get her to the area where I wanted to end up at--The 12-15 foot models. I shoot for the stars and really, really push for this 15 foot one--knowing I won't get it because it was over a thousand dollars. So as a compromise, we agree on a 12 foot one, not pre-lit. Right before we pull the trigger, I show her the one I really wanted all along--the 12 foot flocked, pre-lit, amazing beauty of a tree and she relents. It took three people to load it as it weighed in at just under 200 pounds, but I am proud to say we somehow fit it in the back of my Hyundai Veloster.

oh you'll find out the lesson my friend ...you'll find out

1) don't know how old or in-shape you are, but dragging that SOB in and setting it up every year is a mF.

2) your cat? that little mofo is going to be in heaven ...and flocking - omg - we have one that loves eating that **** - last year citrus spray helped

3) I can't wait until my wife announces she's too old for this **** - and we get a completely no-fuss experience

PS: this likely occur when I have passed away sadly

Users who are viewing this thread