What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Friggin' Matthew Berry (1 Viewer)

Look, say what you will about any particular person. But just like "Cramer" is by no means someone you should hold accountable for your investment returns, Matt Berry isn't that guy either. He's an entertainer, and the face of ESPN Fantasy (which is a multi $100mm behemoth these days by the way). From everything I've heard about him (and David, Joe, Clayton and other FBGs see him at the FSTA events semi-annually), he's always been a good-natured guy who doesn't take himself too seriously. He's also brought a LOT of people into the ESPN fold and made them exceptionally nice livings, and it was his hustle that got him on air when many people -- most of us included -- were struggling to get AM radio stations to talk to us weekly.I guess what I'm saying is, don't be that guy who hates. If you genuinely think his advice is bad, that's GOOD news for you, right? It can only help you leverage your own, divergent, opinions.
:goodposting: :thumbup:

Berry is awful. Despite the hate for ESPN there are some decent fantasy writers on there (Karabell). But Berry isn't one of them. The worst part is he thinks he's funny.

Matthew Berry's response

Last edited by a moderator:
He was also one of the various national pundits on the "Ryan Grant is the GB running back to own - expect him to get the lions share of the carries" when the majority of smart Packers fans knew that was a very foolish assessment up front.

and so people on these boards are automatically better? I'm just saying ripping on Berry because he missed on a few predictions is silly. Everyone misses. Are we going to give him his props on the ones he hit on? Unlikely. Berry started out probably like the rest of us and he turned it into a business. ESPN then just scooped him up because they didn't have anyone in house as qualified.
They dont call him Talented Mr Roto (TMR) for nothing, he came from Rotoworld and his own sites before running ESPN Fantasy, so he has background. But like I said, he's pretty much just entertainment, with his infatuation for Anne Hathaway, to me compared to Dodds and company.

Berry is awful. Despite the hate for ESPN there are some decent fantasy writers on there (Karabell). But Berry isn't one of them. The worst part is he thinks he's funny.

Matthew Berry's response
If you read him for his writing and not his advice, he's a pretty good writer and he's relatively funny. I like him - then again, not everybody has the same appreciation for writing style or humor that I do: we all like different things in both writing and humor.Not a fan of his advice either way though.

People say he's funny and entertaining. What are they basing this off of? His ever so witty back and forth banter of "Pod-vader"? His acclaimed comedic Hollywood screenwriting credits of "Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles?". His year he spent writing on the final season of Married With Children? Did he come up with some groundbreaking new joke about how Kelly was slutty or how Bud was a dork that hadn't been covered in the previous 11 seasons?

My bad fellas, I don't have the time to do the amount of research the "experts" do so I tend to seek their advice hence my membership on this site too. I realize everything in these replies, I'm just saying that it's pretty weak when an expert says one thing preseason and then goes 180 2 weeks in. "Sorry, Willis, but it's true". Weak.Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this. :rolleyes:
Don't sweat it. Anyone who cruises these message boards for info or subscribes to FBG's but then chides you for not doing your own research is a bit of a hypocrite. Not too many of us are actually doing our own research using raw data.Don't hate on the writer for his rankings...he wasn't the only one to pimp Vick and Moreno.But you can hate on him for his 180 a couple of weeks later, particularly on the McGehee part. If he thought McGehee was done, he ought to at least own up to it and say he missed and has changed his mind instead of acting like he was a proponent of the opposite.

My bad fellas, I don't have the time to do the amount of research the "experts" do so I tend to seek their advice hence my membership on this site too. I realize everything in these replies, I'm just saying that it's pretty weak when an expert says one thing preseason and then goes 180 2 weeks in. "Sorry, Willis, but it's true". Weak.Maybe I'm the only one that thinks this. :rolleyes:
Don't sweat it. Anyone who cruises these message boards for info or subscribes to FBG's but then chides you for not doing your own research is a bit of a hypocrite. Not too many of us are actually doing our own research using raw data.Don't hate on the writer for his rankings...he wasn't the only one to pimp Vick and Moreno.But you can hate on him for his 180 a couple of weeks later, particularly on the McGehee part. If he thought McGehee was done, he ought to at least own up to it and say he missed and has changed his mind instead of acting like he was a proponent of the opposite.
:goodposting: I listen to the espn podcast, mainly because it is the only daily one and i like to listen to football stuff while i do my C25k program so on days when FBG, cbs or fantasy football weekly does not have a new podcast, espn it is. Berry can be annoying and gives opinions without real rationale alot of the times. But the one thing that grates me more than anything is his lack of ever accepting that he was wrong. I am sure there may be times but I have yet to hear it when listening.on the vick thing he got alot of press for picking vick as number one pick, but then in most of his own drafts never picked vick first, saying it was only in certain formats or something like that. everyone can be wrong. Hell in this hobby we are wrong a whole lot more than we are right it seems but when the "experts" are they need to acknowledge it and say whoa did not see that coming, and explain to me why their opinion has changed. I respect this a whole lot more than just looking at last weeks stats acting like you knew it all along.

'jbz said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
'jbz said:
I love everyone bashing Berry and basically saying he knows nothing. He must know enough to get paid (and I bet rather well) for a living to do something we all wish we could. No one is going to hit 100% on all their calls. Look at FBG hanging their hats on Mark Ingram. Plus the season is still young, so who knows who is right/wrong this year. Berry might not be the best, but he's not some random hack ESPN picked up off the street either.
You probably think that Kornheiser was a good color commentator, and that Lavar Arrington is a good radio personality.In the entertainment business, not everyone who gets paid to do what they do is good at it. This is because the general public is stupid and does not have high expectations. Main-stream fantasy football analysis is no different. Hell, half the guys employed by ESPN and NFL Network as analysts/talking-heads totally suck at their jobs. But at least they have name recognition, from playing in the NFL.
and so people on these boards are automatically better? I'm just saying ripping on Berry because he missed on a few predictions is silly. Everyone misses. Are we going to give him his props on the ones he hit on? Unlikely. Berry started out probably like the rest of us and he turned it into a business. ESPN then just scooped him up because they didn't have anyone in house as qualified.
You're wasting your breathe. Anyone who subscribes to FBG's but then rags on someone for not doing their own research isn't exactly showing themselves as any better than the general public. :D

He's always said the Vick as #1 strategy was only for standard ESPN leagues (10 teamers) and clarified that on many different occasions.

And to the people that say he never admits his mistakes, just off the top of my head from yesterday's podcast, he apologized for ranking Cutler too high and Jahvid Best too low. That's 2 (that I remember) in one show.

I'll never understand the people that constantly complain about someone, and cite examples from their work. If you think they suck, stop giving them the downloads, page views, and attention.

And for the love of god, NEVER draft Knowshon Moreno.

'T with T said:
Ya bad decision, I could tell Matt berry was a fraud by watching that show he had and seeing some of his off the wall predictions. He used to piss me off because some of his predictions were way off. Doesn't like Rookie or 2nd year guys... tends to like players that are aging to much also. Don't follow his advice for PPR, because most of his leagues are standard, so remember that. All around he is a virgin fantasy expert at best and an ESPN Schmuck. Like there isn't enough of them. Anyways come to FBG or sites that know football and have other experts who follow it closer then a Matt Berry... aka Mr #####
lol i can understand thinking the guy isnt very good at what he does but to be verbally insulting him for making a great living just reeks of jealousy

'jbz said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
'jbz said:
I love everyone bashing Berry and basically saying he knows nothing. He must know enough to get paid (and I bet rather well) for a living to do something we all wish we could. No one is going to hit 100% on all their calls. Look at FBG hanging their hats on Mark Ingram. Plus the season is still young, so who knows who is right/wrong this year. Berry might not be the best, but he's not some random hack ESPN picked up off the street either.
You probably think that Kornheiser was a good color commentator, and that Lavar Arrington is a good radio personality.In the entertainment business, not everyone who gets paid to do what they do is good at it. This is because the general public is stupid and does not have high expectations. Main-stream fantasy football analysis is no different. Hell, half the guys employed by ESPN and NFL Network as analysts/talking-heads totally suck at their jobs. But at least they have name recognition, from playing in the NFL.
You're wasting your breathe. Anyone who subscribes to FBG's but then rags on someone for not doing their own research isn't exactly showing themselves as any better than the general public. :D
I'm not a subscriber. I'm here for the forums, because I like discussing and reading about fantasy football.

ESPN is like CNN.... it's for entertainment.

If you want real analysis, you read The Harvard Business Report, The Economist, or FootBallGuys.

FBG = The Economist. There, I said it.

'jbz said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
'jbz said:
You probably think that Kornheiser was a good color commentator, and that Lavar Arrington is a good radio personality.In the entertainment business, not everyone who gets paid to do what they do is good at it. This is because the general public is stupid and does not have high expectations. Main-stream fantasy football analysis is no different.

Hell, half the guys employed by ESPN and NFL Network as analysts/talking-heads totally suck at their jobs. But at least they have name recognition, from playing in the NFL.
I'm not a subscriber. I'm here for the forums, because I like discussing and reading about fantasy football.
Same here.I'm not sure where that guy is coming up with the notion of ragging on people for not doing their own research though...it's not mentioned or even implied in any of the posts he quotes. Straw man.

'jbz said:
'ConnSKINS26 said:
'jbz said:
Or... there's a difference between getting someone's opinion/research and blindly following it. But listening to what some sources have to say and then taking responsibility for making up your own mind, that's just crazy talk.

back when berry was on his own site, his and his writers fantasy basketball advice was reliably good, in depth, and it was obvious the site was helping me win my leagues. that was back around when dan patrick was on sportscenter.

I realize everything in these replies, I'm just saying that it's pretty weak when an expert says one thing preseason and then goes 180 2 weeks in.
I don't listen to Berry because it's pretty much a waste of my time to listen to somebody whose opinions I do not respect.That said, calling him out for changing his mind? That's weak.

Everybody's going to be wrong now and again. Best to just admit it.

It's not on Berry that he was wrong in the first place. It's a world full of morons out there. It's on you for listening. I've made my fair share of fantasy boners in my day. I don't have time to do all my own research anymore. So, I often defer to others' opinions. (Matt Waldman's smooth talking can be utterly hypnotic at times.) When I do so, it's on me.

:ptts:

(Was this all just fishing?)

ESPN is like CNN.... it's for entertainment.If you want real analysis, you read The Harvard Business Report, The Economist, or FootBallGuys. FBG = The Economist. There, I said it.
:goodposting: Wow. That is such a totally cool comparison. I'm sending the link to this post to my parents. TYVM. :thumbup:

Typical ESPN schmuck.
His partner, and ESPN fantasy editor Nate Ravitz is actualy pretty sharp. I don't know why ESPN refuses to use him in their projections or at anything where he can put his name on it really. Berry is a fun guy and has the quirks that you like out of a niche industry face man but he's just a guy who has been playing the game for many years. His insight is not that insightfull. Anything you see on TV is accumulated by a research team. When I listen to his podcast Nate Ravitz comes with reasoning, while Matt can often be incoherent and double speaks 5 times a show when he has to think on the fly.Again, I am not knocking him. He brings the personality and experience but he's a winger. Someone that makes decisions at a whim.

People say he's funny and entertaining. What are they basing this off of? His ever so witty back and forth banter of "Pod-vader"? His acclaimed comedic Hollywood screenwriting credits of "Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles?". His year he spent writing on the final season of Married With Children? Did he come up with some groundbreaking new joke about how Kelly was slutty or how Bud was a dork that hadn't been covered in the previous 11 seasons?
He's funny with the setting and constraints he has to work with. If you don't think so, that's cool. But do you think he has that job for his knowledge? The people like him.

Perhaps we should refer to an objective opinion. Berry's accuracy rank according to Fantasypros:

2009 weekly rankings - #17 out of 21

2010 weekly rankings - #22 out of 39

2010 draft rankings - #31 out of 34

2011 week 1 - #7 out of 59

For comparison sake, Dodds ranked:

2009 - #5

2010 - #2

2010 Draft - #2

2011 week 1 - #21

Berry's horrible. I listen to their podcast simply for the injury reports and little tidbits of information that I may not know but otherwise I don't listen to what he says. He advocated taking Vick number one overall this year in standard scoring leagues in 10-12 team leagues but also said that QBs are deep this year, which is somewhat contradictory. His podcast partner Nate provides better insight than he does.

Berry's horrible. I listen to their podcast simply for the injury reports and little tidbits of information that I may not know but otherwise I don't listen to what he says. He advocated taking Vick number one overall this year in standard scoring leagues in 10-12 team leagues but also said that QBs are deep this year, which is somewhat contradictory. His podcast partner Nate provides better insight than he does.
Nate is about 100x better. I've played against both over the years. Nate is good. Matthew had to get a rule changed at end of the draft to compete one year LOL. The rest of the years he sucked.

Nate is about 100x better. I've played against both over the years. Nate is good. Matthew had to get a rule changed at end of the draft to compete one year LOL. The rest of the years he sucked.
I'd like to hear more about this...

Cecil Lammey was reporting in early August that McGahee was looking great and could potentially supplant Knowshon. Not sure how you could've missed it, his Broncos camp report is routinely one of the best Shark Pool threads every preseason. LINK
We need some Cecil clones at other camps - all my best info is always on the Broncos and nobody else...
Thanks for the love on my TC reports! Scientists have tried to clone me, but found my hair too difficult to duplicate. :lol:

After seeing this thread I decided to listen to the fantasy focus podcast yesterday. I made it to the point when he said he would take Jerome Simpson over aj green for the rest of the year. And Nate agreed with him. That's about all I needed to hear

A lot of people conflate two different things: Whether Matthew Berry is a good entertainer and driver of ESPN Fantasy brand, and whether he's a good FFL analyst.

I'd say he is effective to very effective at the first, and would be surprised if many believed he was any good at the second. But these do not make him useless, or a bad guy...they just mean we should recognize him for what he is and does well, not for what he is not.

what is shocking is the ESPN has not tried to lure Mr. Bloom away , or the NFL network for that matter.

His advise is always shark-like and I am always listening to his take on who to pickup and who to start and what happened on gamedays.

I listen to Berry for laughs only, nobody can really take his advice seriously.

I listen to Bloom for real advice, and enjoy the hell out of the audible with him Matt and Cece every Thursday.

FWIW S Bell is not a bad injury advice person, I kinda like her take on the injuries on Fridays...

After seeing this thread I decided to listen to the fantasy focus podcast yesterday. I made it to the point when he said he would take Jerome Simpson over aj green for the rest of the year. And Nate agreed with him. That's about all I needed to hear
Really? He actually said that?I'd like to hear his rationalization for that statement.

(Haha, just kidding...I totally wouldn't)

Actually, he said he prefers the safe guy but they are even. That's not bad analysis. Nate actually disagreed and prefered Green.

what is shocking is the ESPN has not tried to lure Mr. Bloom away , or the NFL network for that matter.His advise is always shark-like and I am always listening to his take on who to pickup and who to start and what happened on gamedays.I listen to Berry for laughs only, nobody can really take his advice seriously.I listen to Bloom for real advice, and enjoy the hell out of the audible with him Matt and Cece every Thursday.FWIW S Bell is not a bad injury advice person, I kinda like her take on the injuries on Fridays...
Bingo. They're just something to listen to while I work out.

I think of Fantasy Focus as USA Today and FBG as the New York Times.

And that is not meant as an insult to Fantasy Focus at all. I listen all the time and enjoy it. I log away their opinions and general tone on situations, look at some other opinions and then try and mesh them with my own.

You gotta own your decisions though.

I like Matthew Berry. Also, the first 5 paragraphs of his draft article specifically mention the fact that this is his analysis and that it may not apply for everyone. He goes to great lengths to say that people need to draft what they feel is best for them. Never seems to make it through their heads though.

He's about as right as any other Fantasy expert.

what is shocking is the ESPN has not tried to lure Mr. Bloom away , or the NFL network for that matter.

His advise is always shark-like and I am always listening to his take on who to pickup and who to start and what happened on gamedays.

I listen to Berry for laughs only, nobody can really take his advice seriously.

I listen to Bloom for real advice, and enjoy the hell out of the audible with him Matt and Cece every Thursday.

FWIW S Bell is not a bad injury advice person, I kinda like her take on the injuries on Fridays...
That's why ESPN hasn't approached. They don't want sharks. They want Hawks

:hawkscreech:

I tend to disagree, the podcast I find useful because of Stephania Bell's injury reports, its nice to get a professional opinion there. And hey, there is entertainment value for a daily podcast that is (somewhat) professionally produced and free. If I listened to every so called fantasy "expert" I would be broke. So no complaints here
:wub: http://ptthinktank.c...phania-bell.jpg
Wow, eoMMan, we are usually soooo totally on the same page.This one, not so much. :unsure:
she's also a Dr. Means you get to work 1/3 as hard as you do now and play a ####-load of golf. 60-70 rounds a year.

fwiw I am dating a Dr too... :banned:

ESPN is like CNN.... it's for entertainment.If you want real analysis, you read The Harvard Business Report, The Economist, or FootBallGuys. FBG = The Economist. There, I said it.
:goodposting: Wow. That is such a totally cool comparison. I'm sending the link to this post to my parents. TYVM. :thumbup:
so true. Though as PG as it is I think it has to be The Christian Science Monitor :stirspot:

what is shocking is the ESPN has not tried to lure Mr. Bloom away , or the NFL network for that matter.His advise is always shark-like and I am always listening to his take on who to pickup and who to start and what happened on gamedays.I listen to Berry for laughs only, nobody can really take his advice seriously.I listen to Bloom for real advice, and enjoy the hell out of the audible with him Matt and Cece every Thursday.FWIW S Bell is not a bad injury advice person, I kinda like her take on the injuries on Fridays...
Maybe our guys aren't pretty enough for the cameras... ;)

Actually, he said he prefers the safe guy but they are even. That's not bad analysis. Nate actually disagreed and prefered Green.
thats not bad analysis? What is safe about Simpson?

I've been wondering this for a while. The NFL Network seems like the perfect place for a footballguy. They not only provide fantasy advice, but have a great knowledge of the players and their skillsets. Seems like a perfect match.

Lets just put this Berry hate/love aside and just say that you should never, ever, take one fantasy "pros" advice unless they have some special information that is not out in the general public or a thoughtful comment about a player. Saying "I think I'd take ___ over ___" does not count. Saying "____ looks like a monster this year" does not count. There must be a valid reason for you to trust this one guy. Maybe a beat writer saw something in practice that was interesting, maybe they will point out how the coaching system affects somebody, running style, targets, snaps. All these things are tangible reasons to trust someone on their advice, NOT opinion. Most ppl can't tell the difference.

And don't EVER trust projections, I am a believer in aggregate rankings however.

You probably think that Kornheiser was a good color commentator, and that Lavar Arrington is a good radio personality.In the entertainment business, not everyone who gets paid to do what they do is good at it. This is because the general public is stupid and does not have high expectations. Main-stream fantasy football analysis is no different.

Hell, half the guys employed by ESPN and NFL Network as analysts/talking-heads totally suck at their jobs. But at least they have name recognition, from playing in the NFL.
Same here.I'm not sure where that guy is coming up with the notion of ragging on people for not doing their own research though...it's not mentioned or even implied in any of the posts he quotes. Straw man.
Read the thread, connSKINS26 said it. That's why he responded even though I didn't mention his name.Maybe some people on here actually do their own research from raw data. I rarely do. I trust certain writers and their opinions carry some weight with me. I mine these threads for tidbits from homers' who know some skuttlebutt about their team that may not be making the blurbs. But none of that is anymore research than is looking at some fantasy magazine's cheatsheet and deciding whether I think it's credible or not. The only difference in is the quality of the opinions.

I also enjoy reading and discussing fantasy football. But I'm also honest enough to admit that what I read and discuss can both inform me and influence my opinions on certain players. If there was no chance of that happening, why would I spend any time doing it? Just to show other people how smart I am? Please.

So in the end, it's really just the same process as tearing out Joe Blow's cheat sheet from a fantasy magazine. The difference is more often in which source we allow to influence us. So if you want to crap on the OP for listening to Berry instead of some other sources, that's fine. But be honest and say that Berry just isn't that good. Don't act like the OP is a guppy because he listens to someone else's thoughts on some players and acts on that.

And when someone comes off as condescending or insulting and infers that you should not be influenced by anyone else's opinions, I going to point out that it's likely an invalid criticism because we all do it. Some of us just turn our noses up at what sources the other guy listens to.

Users who are viewing this thread