What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frozen Pipes All Around : Avoidance & Fixes inside (2 Viewers)

Even with frost proof spickets, when the water is turned off, it is closed approximately a foot from the nozzle (where it's out of the frost zone). If there is a hose attached, water sits in the pipe after the shut off valve and can freeze and burst. 

I have never used my homeowners in 10 years so I’m flying blind a bit. 
If it's just a single pipe and you didn't get any flood damage, it'll be way faster/cheaper to fix yourself.  Assuming it's standard copper pipe, you'd need a $10 pipe cutter, $5 of copper pipe and 2 x $8 quick connectors.  You'd have it done in 10 minutes and no deductible. 

Even with frost proof spickets, when the water is turned off, it is closed approximately a foot from the nozzle (where it's out of the frost zone). If there is a hose attached, water sits in the pipe after the shut off valve and can freeze and burst. 
Heck, I have the frost proof spicket and it still froze inside the house last winter.  Turned the valve on last spring and washed the car, only to find the basement soaked. 

Our house is only 10 years, slab foundation so most of the water lines run thru the attic.  We have them wrapped in insulation, but they still freeze.  Second time this has happened to us in 7 years at the house.  I got in my attic this morning and was surprised at how cold it was.  I guess the only protection those lines get is shingle roofs and the ply wood they're nailed too. 

We have that water line that has a little flex to it, its supposed to help with breaking when frozen.  So far so good. 

Got a bit of a sugar ant in my kitchen right now.  Bleached the whole thing and put down Ortho spray, but I still see them.  Looked for any kind of food source and have come up empty.  Any ideas?  Burn the house down?  Sleep with the queen?  Etc...

If it's just a single pipe and you didn't get any flood damage, it'll be way faster/cheaper to fix yourself.  Assuming it's standard copper pipe, you'd need a $10 pipe cutter, $5 of copper pipe and 2 x $8 quick connectors.  You'd have it done in 10 minutes and no deductible. 
It’s pvc and it’s inside drywall and leaking to my kitchen ceiling from upstairs bathroom. If it was just a pipe fix I could get to myself I would just pay for it myself or try it myself. Don’t know how to do the drywall stuff myself. 

Got a bit of a sugar ant in my kitchen right now.  Bleached the whole thing and put down Ortho spray, but I still see them.  Looked for any kind of food source and have come up empty.  Any ideas?  Burn the house down?  Sleep with the queen?  Etc...
Hot water. Sugar with equal amounts of borax and some honey. Stir until it's all liquid. Sop it up with cotton balls and place in their path at a few locations. Put cotton balls on a beer cap to avoid mess

Went home at lunch and the pipe had apparently thawed. Running good now. Left it trickling and headed back to work. Hopefully dodged a bullet. :unsure:  

I believe.  Fans from Iowa in general, whether it be Iowa, ISU or UNI, are usually great.  They always travel very well because of the time of year.  They also like to have a good time, go out to eat and drink A LOT.  I hear the ISU fans drank a couple places out of beer.

When Iowa played in the B1G Championship two years ago many places ran out of beer.  I know the bar I was at ran out of keg beer for an hour or so on game day.
This would never happen if they held the games in Madison instead of Indiana.  Imagine a place in Wisconsin running out of beer!  That is no more likely to happen than us Sconnies running out of Bratwursts or large-boned women..

Last edited by a moderator:
Little Rock, Arkansas - We had a problem with the hot water lines this morning.  Hardly anything dripping out, I kept trying throughout the morning to get them going.  Finally the weather warmed up enough to get them moving.  Close call.

Gonna have to start leaving the water on a little bit at night.  

Wrong thread I know.. but do I have to do anything with my car?  It was sold in the south and never was in the north.  Do I need special fluids or a special battery or maybe a space suit or something for my car?  This whole freezing weather thing is for the birds.
i dont know how cold it is going to be by you but i had my rig outside overnight here on new years and it was 8 below zero and she still started up although with a little grumbling if you have an old battery and your car is going to be in the wind which will only increase the cold from wind chill maybe start the old war wagon up every couple of hours otherwise its not a bad idea to let it run and warm up a bit before you hit the road thats all i got take that to the bank bromigo

I was dumb enough to go on vacation last week and just turn everything off. Came back yesterday and all my water was frozen. I have at least one leak. Hoping homeowners will cover fixing it. 

Only water I was able to get going was to my downstairs bathroom which is in the middle of the house and not on an outside wall. 
Damn homeowners insurance.  I live in NJ and it rises every year.  Over $3K/year now.   :shock:

I believe.  Fans from Iowa in general, whether it be Iowa, ISU or UNI, are usually great.  They always travel very well because of the time of year.  They also like to have a good time, go out to eat and drink A LOT.  I hear the ISU fans drank a couple places out of beer.

When Iowa played in the B1G Championship two years ago many places ran out of beer.  I know the bar I was at ran out of keg beer for an hour or so on game day.
This would never happen if they held the games in Madison instead of Indiana.  Imagine a place in Wisconsin running out of beer!  That is no more likely to happen than us Sconnies running out of Bratwursts or large-boned women..
you had me a bratwurst brohan take that to the bank

you had me a bratwurst brohan take that to the bank
Sentry Foods use to make a pretty decent Brat.  Their Italian and German sausages were also pretty good.  Usinger's makes a good Brat.  My favorite had to be a local grocer out on North Avenue, maybe 139th or so.  Grasch's.  I wonder if they are still out there.

FYI - Icon

You may be able to thaw a frozen pipe using a hair dryer. Start by warming the pipe as close to the faucet as possible, working toward the coldest section of pipe. Keep the faucet on as well

As someone who has lived the majority of his life in -20 to -30 weather....

You dont need to to pre-start your car for anything more than 30sec-1min. Of course, your car will be warmer the more you wait, but you waste a ton of gas, and it does nothing to help your engine... 1min is more than enough start time in freezing temps.

Your car will warm up wayyyy faster as you drive.

Just bought my grandparents house a few months back. My pipes froze last night. 

Of course the house was built in 1880 and has no insulation or a heater. Space heaters just isn't cutting it. Guess that's my next big purchase next year.

Sentry Foods use to make a pretty decent Brat.  Their Italian and German sausages were also pretty good.  Usinger's makes a good Brat.  My favorite had to be a local grocer out on North Avenue, maybe 139th or so.  Grasch's.  I wonder if they are still out there.
Sorry GB, closed in 2016.  It's now a Sendik's.  Although I just had Sendik's polish sausage yesterday, and it was pretty dang tasty. 

Sorry GB, closed in 2016.  It's now a Sendik's.  Although I just had Sendik's polish sausage yesterday, and it was pretty dang tasty. 
I've been gone a long time now.  So many of the scenes from my childhood have crumbled and decayed and been replaced.  I do take comfort when I now visit that the shorelines of my favorite lakes remain familiar and most of my favorite rivers and streams run the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usinger you listed is the big name available anywhere/everywhere. 

If you want a good brat in just about any flavor possible, order from Stoneridge Meats  They'll deliver right to your door.  You will not be disappointed. 
Sadly, out here in Colorado they think Johnsonville are the bomb. they don't know from hard rolls, and to get good mustard is difficult.  Trying to find a good stollen this Christmas was next to impossible.

Man I came home from work about an hour ago to a night mare. Open the door and hear water raining down from my ceiling in multiple places. I have a valve to shut the water off to the upstairs and it was frozen, couldn’t shut it before work. At least I could now. Been working hard just trying to dry everything as much as possible and got buckets catching what dripping is  left over. Luckily I found someone that can come look at it tonight and fix it tomorrow. I checked my deductible and I guess I’m going to be out a little over a grand. 

Man I came home from work about an hour ago to a night mare. Open the door and hear water raining down from my ceiling in multiple places. I have a valve to shut the water off to the upstairs and it was frozen, couldn’t shut it before work. At least I could now. Been working hard just trying to dry everything as much as possible and got buckets catching what dripping is  left over. Luckily I found someone that can come look at it tonight and fix it tomorrow. I checked my deductible and I guess I’m going to be out a little over a grand. 
Ouch - and now that you've made a claim, I'll guarantee your premiums will also go up double digit %

Man this thread made me realize I didn't unhook my hose. Sure enough frozen water in the spigot.  I warmed slowly and chipped the ice out.

I think it will be ok. Didnt look like any cracks

Yeah I had the bathrooms trickling and didn't have issues. The kitchen wasn't running and froze. Live and learn. WIll leave cabinets open and use a space heater as needed going forward. 

Just hope nothing bursts when I thaw it. 
regarding your last sentence, count on it.

Heck, I have the frost proof spicket and it still froze inside the house last winter.  Turned the valve on last spring and washed the car, only to find the basement soaked. 
I did the same thing, only my basement was completely finished-carpet and all.

An o ring on my pool diverter valve failed. #### this bull####. 

Drained my equipment and covered it with Christmas lights and towels and will pray I dont have to nuke it from orbit. 

In 2012-2013 that polar vortex got so bad that the water supply lines under the frost line (so deeper than 48”) froze in people’s front yards in Minnesota. 

One thing for cars. If you tend to just put water in your windshield washer tank, that can easily freeze and burst. Make sure you have at east a 50/50 mix of washer fluid.

mr roboto said:
Pro tips...

If you are going out of town shut off main valve and turn taps on till they are dry. 

If you are staying in town but it’s gonna be really cold turn faucets on at a tiny trickle. Running water won’t freeze. 
this

As someone who has lived the majority of his life in -20 to -30 weather....

You dont need to to pre-start your car for anything more than 30sec-1min. Of course, your car will be warmer the more you wait, but you waste a ton of gas, and it does nothing to help your engine... 1min is more than enough start time in freezing temps.

Your car will warm up wayyyy faster as you drive.
True.

This would be a good entry into the overrated category thread

Anyone plumbers/heating guys have a way to defrost frozen plastic pex lines that are not accessible?
This is my current battle.

I can’t access the lines without cutting a hole in the ceiling. I could cut the drywall behind the shower but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get to the frozen parts.

Instead, I ripped out the molding and used a hair dryer for awhile through the cracks.  Wasn’t directly on the pipes but it did enough to get it going again. 

Should I do whatever is possible to get to the pex lines or can I trust that they will do  their job?  

Ouch - and now that you've made a claim, I'll guarantee your premiums will also go up double digit %
Just because I called them doesn’t mean I have to send them the bill though. Am I screwed no matter what now?

the guy the came out says he thinks it’ll cost 12-1300 ballpark to fix it. My deductible is $1064

Man this thread made me realize I didn't unhook my hose. Sure enough frozen water in the spigot.  I warmed slowly and chipped the ice out.

I think it will be ok. Didnt look like any cracks
Why would you need the hose before spring?

Just because I called them doesn’t mean I have to send them the bill though. Am I screwed no matter what now?

the guy the came out says he thinks it’ll cost 12-1300 ballpark to fix it. My deductible is $1064
Insurance agent here...NO!

Any decent company you can consult on a claim, even make the claim and NOT CASH THE CHECK and you'll have no adverse impact on premium.  If your bill is $1300 and the deductible is $1000 it won't be worth it.  Just pay the bill.  If the bill is $2000 or more at that deductible then you might consider going through with the claim. Feel free to pm with questions.

Users who are viewing this thread