What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fruit smoothies: blenders and recipes (1 Viewer)

Are there any powders out there similar to the Shakeology greenberry powder? My wife loved that stuff and it worked well for her, but it's not cheap. Will also take any recommendations for other similar powders, green or not. I do smoothies pretty often, but ran out of Shakeology and haven't replaced it yet. 

Random question about my Blendtec blender.   It has a "hot soup" button on it.  What does that mean exactly when you push it.   I'm pretty sure the blender doesn't heat up does it?!?   So, what's the point of the hot soup button?

Are there any powders out there similar to the Shakeology greenberry powder? My wife loved that stuff and it worked well for her, but it's not cheap. Will also take any recommendations for other similar powders, green or not. I do smoothies pretty often, but ran out of Shakeology and haven't replaced it yet. 

I just add in Amazing Grass Antioxidant to my protein smoothie which gives you all types of green benefits.  I think Amazing Grass has green protein mix but I haven't tried it.   

I just add in Amazing Grass Antioxidant to my protein smoothie which gives you all types of green benefits.  I think Amazing Grass has green protein mix but I haven't tried it.   
Do they make an Amazing Grass Antioxidant that's tasteless when mixed (like the Sacred 7 mushroom powder).  I see on Amazon they have the Antioxidant in "Sweet Berry" flavor, but not sure if there is on that you get the benefits but doesn't affect established flavor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they make an Amazing Grass Antioxidant that's tasteless when mixed (like the Sacred 7 mushroom powder).  I see on Amazon they have the Antioxidant in "Sweet Berry" flavor, but not sure if there is on that you get the benefits but doesn't affect established flavor?

Not sure flavorless is possible with all the greens, fruits and probiotics added but it works well with a berry smoothie.  You may be able to ditch the crystal light if you add one of these to the mix.  

Not sure flavorless is possible with all the greens, fruits and probiotics added but it works well with a berry smoothie.  You may be able to ditch the crystal light if you add one of these to the mix.  
Cool, just ordered it.  How much do you use each smoothie?

Alright, finally got all of the desired ingredient and Blendtec'd that ish up just now.  Damn, it's tasty and healthy as F!

offdee's Fruit Smoothie  (makes 32 oz)

-          1 cup water

-          1/2 cup raspberry lemonade Crystal Light  (could try Cran-Apple juice)

-          1.5 tbsp whole grain rolled oats

-          1 tbsp ground flaxseed   (REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING)

-          1.25 TEASPOON Sacred 7 mushroom powder

-          1 scoop Amazing Grass antioxidant (Sweet Berry)

-          1 scoop Vital Proteins collagen & peptides powder 

-          1 scoop Isopure protein powder (Vanilla)  

-          One large handful of spinach 

-          Half large avocado

-          1 cup frozen berry mix (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)

-          One large handful of ice cubes for coldness

Alright, finally got all of the desired ingredient and Blendtec'd that ish up just now.  Damn, it's tasty and healthy as F!

offdee's Fruit Smoothie  (makes 32 oz)

-          1 cup water

-          1/2 cup raspberry lemonade Crystal Light  (could try Cran-Apple juice)

-          1.5 tbsp whole grain rolled oats

-          1 tbsp ground flaxseed   (REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING)

-          1.25 TEASPOON Sacred 7 mushroom powder

-          1 scoop Amazing Grass antioxidant (Sweet Berry)

-          1 scoop Vital Proteins collagen & peptides powder 

-          1 scoop Isopure protein powder (Vanilla)  

-          One large handful of spinach 

-          Half large avocado

-          1 cup frozen berry mix (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)

-          One large handful of ice cubes for coldness
Are you going to try to calculate the calories in that? If you do and could share, I would love to get an idea of how much calories is in something like this

Are you going to try to calculate the calories in that? If you do and could share, I would love to get an idea of how much calories is in something like this
I’m more about getting more veggies and fruits into me, but ill give a crack at trying to figure out calories tomorrow 

also I’m drinking this as my lunch so I know for a fact it’s less calories than I’d take in on a normal lunch. Which usually includes a can of Mountain Dew. Lol

@dhockster looks like the full 42 oz smoothie is 580 calories  (290 calories if cut it in half- 21 oz)

420 calories of it are from 4 ingredients: 

- half avocado (130 cal)     

- Vanilla protein powder (100 cal)

- frozen berries (100 cal).

- Fuji apple (90 cal)

** Could reduce by 30 cals having a banana (100 cal) instead of a half avocado. 

-----

1 cup water 0 cal

1/2 cup Cran-Apple juice  5 cal

1.5 tbsp whole grain rolled oats  35 cal

1 tbsp ground flaxseed  45 cal

1.25 TEASPOON Sacred 7 mushroom powder  5 cal

1 scoop Amazing Grass antioxidant (Sweet Berry)  25 cal

1 scoop Vital Proteins collagen & peptides powder  35 cal

1 scoop Isopure protein powder (Vanilla, approx. 1/3 cup)   100 cal

One large handful of spinach 10 cal

Half large avocado  130 cal

1 red apple (Fuji)   90 cal

1 cup frozen berry mix (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)  100 cal

One large handful of ice cubes for coldness   0 cal

TOTAL:  580 calories 

1 tablespoon Vital Proteins collagen & peptides powder
@BobbyLayne  I noticed that 1 tablespoon is equal to 1 scoop of this Vital Proteins collagen and peptides powder.

But I looked on the package and it says "serving size 2 scoops".     Curious if there is a reason you only use 1 scoop instead of the suggested serving size of 2 scoops?

@BobbyLayne  I noticed that 1 tablespoon is equal to 1 scoop of this Vital Proteins collagen and peptides powder.

But I looked on the package and it says "serving size 2 scoops".     Curious if there is a reason you only use 1 scoop instead of the suggested serving size of 2 scoops?

1 scoop is good since you're adding other proteins to the smoothie 

Actually I mostly use one scoop instead of two because the nutritionist at the VA that I mentioned said I should be getting collagen (bone broth) and peptides (many foods) from my diet.

So just think of it as a supplement, but you’re already getting more than enough with just having a normal healthy diet.

2 tablespoons Organic raw apple cider vinegar

1 red apple (Fuji or Gala)
@BobbyLayne one more random question...

I know apple cider vinegar is SO GOOD for you, but I also know it tastes absolutely terrible.

Does adding this 2 tbsps of it to your smoothie change the taste quite a bit?   I'd like to add it to my mix but not at the risk of it totally downgrading the taste.

Also in your mix you have 1 red apple (Fuji or Gala)...outside of it just being more fruit, any specific advantages to adding this to a mix?

I know apple cider vinegar is SO GOOD for you, but I also know it tastes absolutely terrible.

Does adding this 2 tbsps of it to your smoothie change the taste quite a bit?   I'd like to add it to my mix but not at the risk of it totally downgrading the taste.

Also in your mix you have 1 red apple (Fuji or Gala)...outside of it just being more fruit, any specific advantages to adding this to a mix?
I don’t measure but I would guess I’m dumping 1-2 tablespoons. Between that and the whole lemon, just provides a more balanced taste. Like maybe a slightly tangy the first sip but it’s subtle; an undercurrent. This is subjective but I don’t think it overpowers the 6-8 sweet things in there (& everything else is neutral.)

Without lemon and a splash of vinegar my smoothies are super sweet. I’m mostly organic / natural with very little sugar. But I’m also trying to break my addiction to sweet favors, even when it’s naturally occurring.

So much of American cooking is appealing bc of sweetness. I feel like it’s a big reason why we can overeat. If the foods not sweet then we dip it sauce or pour it on.

if you’re in phenomenal shape then don’t worry  about this stuff. I’m almost 60 and thinking about things that are not going to be an issue for you for quite awhile. I was always lean, 28-31 inch waist. I’ve ballooned up to 33-34. Disgusting. 

[it’s all relative - I’m a wiry guy]

offdee said:
@dhockster looks like the full 32 oz smoothie is 488 calories  (244 calories if cut it in half- 16 oz)

330 calories of it are from 3 ingredients: 

- half avocado (130 cal)     

- Vanilla protein powder (100 cal)

- frozen berries (100 cal).

Could reduce by 30 cals having a banana (100 cal) instead of a half avocado. 

-----

1 cup water 0 cal

1/2 cup raspberry lemonade Crystal Light  3 cal

1.5 tbsp whole grain rolled oats  35 cal

1 tbsp ground flaxseed  45 cal

1.25 TEASPOON Sacred 7 mushroom powder  5 cal

1 scoop Amazing Grass antioxidant (Sweet Berry)  25 cal

1 scoop Vital Proteins collagen & peptides powder  35 cal

1 scoop Isopure protein powder (Vanilla, approx. 1/3 cup)   100 cal

One large handful of spinach 10 cal

Half large avocado  130 cal

1 cup frozen berry mix (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)  100 cal

One large handful of ice cubes for coldness   0 cal

TOTAL:  488 calories 
@dhockster I'm curious of your reaction to this....is it better or worse than what you expected the calorie total to be?    Is approx. 500 calories good for something like this (at this amount) ?

I bought some of that sacred 7 mushroom powder based on this thread.  I have had an erection for +24 hours now, who should I call?

I wouldn't add it to my smoothie.  I prefer taking a shot of it (Bragg ACV) first thing in the morning.  Add some lemon, cayenne and turmeric for extra benefits.   Not great tasting.  Just grin and bear it. 

I don't even like the smell of ACV, but I add it to my smoothie, and I have no issues with the taste.

I'd say try it once and if you don't like it, don't do it again.   :lmao:   (pretty much my motto for most things)

I don't even like the smell of ACV, but I add it to my smoothie, and I have no issues with the taste.

I'd say try it once and if you don't like it, don't do it again.   :lmao:   (pretty much my motto for most things)
Yep, this is my plan.

I'm playing around to still perfect the non ACV smoothie and then once I get it where I like it the best, I'll try it with the ACV added and see what it's like.

By the way, my recipe above.

- I switched the Raz Lemonade crystal light with Cran-Apple Juice (1/2 cup) (adds 2 cals)

- Also added one med. sized Fuji red apple (skin on, but cut up to remove the core) (adds 90 cals)

:chef's kiss:

Gonna try tomorrow with a Gala red apple (70 cals) instead of the Fuji to see if tastes any different.   But after that will be my perfect blend (and then I'll add in some ACV to see if it ruins it...will try 1 tbsp first and if can't taste it, will try 2 tbsp's the next day)

One thing I do know is that since starting this daily smoothie, my craps and farts are RANCID.  Good lord.  Is that a good or bad thing?!?

One thing I do know is that since starting this daily smoothie, my craps and farts are RANCID.  Good lord.  Is that a good or bad thing?!?
Probably just the kind of protein powder you're using. Different types/brands can have vastly different aromas in my experience.

You are ingesting a lot of protein and nutrients your body isn't accustomed to so that makes sense.  That's also an expert level smoothie so you can lighten up on the ingredients.   Try one scoop of isopure in the smoothie and maybe take the collagen scoop in the morning with the Amazing Grass and Mushrooms for a nice boost.  Eventually, your body will adjust.   Meanwhile, your jeans will need more freezer treatments.  

...that will be my perfect blend (and then I'll add in some ACV to see if it ruins it...will try 1 tbsp first and if can't taste it, will try 2 tbsp's the next day)
I tried both Fuji apple and Gala apple and preferred Fuji.

With the Apple Cider Vinegar, yesterday I added 1tbsp...and although I could taste it a bit, it wasn't "bad". This morning I tried 1.5 tbsp of ACV and it's now definitely noticeable and too "vinegary" for my liking. So, even though it tasted better without the ACV, knowing how good it is for you, I'll compromise at 1tbsp of ACV.

The final offdee perfected concoction (makes 42 oz / 615 total calories) :

- 1 cup water

- 1/2 cup Cran-Apple juice (get Old Orchard Healthy Balance...only 5 calories in the half cup)

- 1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar w/mother

- 1.5 tbsp whole grain rolled oats

- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed (REFRIGERATE)

- 1.25 TEASPOON Sacred 7 mushroom powder

- 1 scoop Amazing Grass antioxidant (Sweet Berry)

- 2 scoops Vital Proteins collagen & peptides powder (unflavored)

- 1 scoop Isopure protein powder (Vanilla)

- One handful of spinach

- Half large avocado

- 1 red apple (Fuji) (cut the core out)

- 1 cup frozen berry mix (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries)

- One large handful of ice cubes for coldness

Last edited:
And btw, I'm LOVING my Blendtec blender.   The thing blends like a dream, just push a button and can walk away and let it do its thing, and a breeze to clean.   Blade is attached, and not sharp, so it's the equivalent of washing a big bowl out with a dish wand.

Compared to the last blender I used that had about 3 different blade pieces that had to be attached, pieces were sharp and needed to be individually washed, and you had to stir it about 3 times to get it to blend smooth.....this Blendtec is well worth the extra price.

And btw, I'm LOVING my Blendtec blender. The thing blends like a dream, just push a button and can walk away and let it do its thing, and a breeze to clean. Blade is attached, and not sharp, so it's the equivalent of washing a big bowl out with a dish wand.

Compared to the last blender I used that had about 3 different blade pieces that had to be attached, pieces were sharp and needed to be individually washed, and you had to stir it about 3 times to get it to blend smooth.....this Blendtec is well worth the extra price.

My Blendtec blender is highly recommended, love that thing. It has a counter on it and I just hit 100 smoothies a couple days ago. So, over 3 months straight of a smoothie lunch. I look forward to it every day.

Last edited:

- 1 cup water

- 1/2 cup Cran-Apple juice (get Old Orchard Healthy Balance...only 5 calories in the half cup)

- One handful of spinach

- Half large avocado

I'm still on the lunch smoothie train. My Blendtec has a counter and it's at 207 which equates to approx. 7 months of daily smoothies.

My full recipe is above, but lately I've just kind of become disgusted with the spinach taste in it. I know spinach is so healthy but the taste and the rancid farts it produces isn't worth it.

I already do the 1 scoop of Amazing Grass, but is there anything else powder wise that I could add to substitute the health benefits I'm losing by not including the handful of spinach?

- 1 cup water

- One handful of spinach

- Half large avocado

I'm still on the lunch smoothie train. My Blendtec has a counter and it's at 207 which equates to approx. 7 months of daily smoothies.

My full recipe is above, but lately I've just kind of become disgusted with the spinach taste in it. I know spinach is so healthy but the taste and the rancid farts it produces isn't worth it.

I already do the 1 scoop of Amazing Grass, but is there anything else powder wise that I could add to substitute the health benefits I'm losing by not including the handful of spinach?
What specific health benefits are you looking for? A particular vitamin or micronutrient?

If you just want a green powder that’s touted for health, based on no hard evidence, I suggest spirulina. Or if you want a different taste for the smoothie, try matcha.

ETA I see spirulina is already a component of Amazing Grass, which leads back to my original question…

- 1 cup water

- One handful of spinach

- Half large avocado

The Amazing Grass should cover your greens so I don't think you really need the spinach in there especially if you don't like the flavor.

The Amazing Grass should cover your greens so I don't think you really need the spinach in there especially if you don't like the flavor.

This is what I wanted to hear. I know spinach is a superfood, but I’m over it. Gonna remove it moving forward.

What specific health benefits are you looking for? A particular vitamin or micronutrient?

If you just want a green powder that’s touted for health, based on no hard evidence, I suggest spirulina. Or if you want a different taste for the smoothie, try matcha.

ETA I see spirulina is already a component of Amazing Grass, which leads back to my original question…
Similar reply to Major, but just know spinach is a superfood so know it's very good for me. But, the Amazing Grass sounds like that will cover my greens so gonna just go with that and cutout the spinach.

Chocolate Banana Almond Smoothie

Ingredients:

1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 banana, sliced
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
2 tbsp honey
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 apple, cored and sliced
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Directions:

In a blender, combine the chocolate chips, banana, almonds, honey, vanilla yogurt, vanilla extract, apple, and ginger. Blend until smooth.

Pour the smoothie into glasses and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
  • 1 cup pineapple chunks
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Instructions:
  1. In a blender, combine the strawberries, pineapple, almond milk, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Blend on high speed until smooth and creamy.
  2. Pour the smoothie into a tall glass, and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Similar reply to Major, but just know spinach is a superfood so know it's very good for me. But, the Amazing Grass sounds like that will cover my greens so gonna just go with that and cutout the spinach.

Pretty sure the Amazing Grass has spinach in it anyway

As you know, there are many superfoods. I was wondering what about spinach made it essential in your smoothie recipe, because that would make it easier to suggest a substitute. But I see you figured out an alternative solution.

When using bananas in smoothies, does it a make a big difference if they are frozen before hand? If frozen, you still need some ice, right?

When using bananas in smoothies, does it a make a big difference if they are frozen before hand? If frozen, you still need some ice, right?

Not to my knowledge. It really just depends on your taste. I prefer frozen fruit because it doesn't spoil and provides the same function as ice without watering down my smoothie.

Frozen bananas are the best in smoothies. Once they are ripe just stick them in the freezer peel and all. When you're ready to use them run them under warm water for a bit and you can just thumb the peel right off.

Yes. The bananas can be substituted for ice entirely, though the texture of the smoothie is creamier without ice. Frozen avocado makes it even creamier, a little too thick for my taste. Other frozen fruits and veggies don’t work as well, except maybe taro.

Regardless, you never need to add ice to a smoothie. The only issue is the taste of bananas can be overwhelmingly sweet, especially if they are overripe.

Pretty much every smoothie I make includes two frozen bananas + almond milk, plus whatever fresh fruit I have available, or nut butter + cacao.

Users who are viewing this thread