What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fruit smoothies: blenders and recipes (1 Viewer)

When using bananas in smoothies, does it a make a big difference if they are frozen before hand? If frozen, you still need some ice, right?
Frozen bananas are the best in smoothies. Just stick them in the freezer peel and all. When you're ready to use them run them under warm water for a bit and you can just thumb the peel right off.
I always peel before I freeze. Seems like you’re just adding another step, but saving on containers I guess.

When using bananas in smoothies, does it a make a big difference if they are frozen before hand? If frozen, you still need some ice, right?
Frozen bananas are the best in smoothies. Just stick them in the freezer peel and all. When you're ready to use them run them under warm water for a bit and you can just thumb the peel right off.
I always peel before I freeze. Seems like you’re just adding another step, but saving on containers I guess.
They last so much longer if you keep them in the peel. They will eventually turn black in the freezer if you peel them.

They last so much longer if you keep them in the peel. They will eventually turn black in the freezer if you peel them.
Never an issue in my house, as they’re used within a week or two of freezing.

The peel protects it from all the elements in the freezer (freezer burn, smells, etc). I would argue that putting peeled bananas in a freezer bag adds an extra step and it wastes a plastic bag. Nature already provides the necessary protection. It's a better frozen banana in terms of taste and texture as well.

Is there anything that I can add that doesn't taste like anything but gives me spinach nutrients....asking for a friend.

The peel protects it from all the elements in the freezer (freezer burn, smells, etc). I would argue that putting peeled bananas in a freezer bag adds an extra step and it wastes a plastic bag. Nature already provides the necessary protection. It's a better frozen banana in terms of taste and texture as well.
I put them in reusable Tupperware, so no wasted bags. While I’m admittedly skeptical of your protocol, I’ll try it out the next time I get bananas.

Is there anything that I can add that doesn't taste like anything but gives me spinach nutrients....asking for a friend.

Amazing Grass Greens Blend Antioxidant: Super Greens Powder Smoothie Mix with Organic Spirulina, Beet Root Powder, Elderberry & Probiotics, Sweet Berry, 60 Servings (Packaging May Vary) https://a.co/d/iwLyM0d

Amazing Grass Greens Blend Superfood: Super Greens Powder Smoothie Mix with Organic Spirulina, Chlorella, Beet Root Powder, Digestive Enzymes & Probiotics, Original, 60 Servings https://a.co/d/3OjVMn6

My gf and i are opening our own business , we will be selling flavored shaved ice and fruit smoothies . We are renting a great space right across from an Elementary school and 2 blocks from the State college of Florida with the IMG Academy behind the college and the High school less than 2 miles away . Its all about location. We have been on the fence about the blenders , buying 2 for now , looking at the Vitamix or Blendtec , i know we need the industrial strength and they will cost close to a grand each , so im reading these very informative posts and im leaning Vitamix , i know thats what they use at Smoothie King . Any input from experiences would be much appreciated , thanks in advance guys .

My gf and i are opening our own business , we will be selling flavored shaved ice and fruit smoothies . We are renting a great space right across from an Elementary school and 2 blocks from the State college of Florida with the IMG Academy behind the college and the High school less than 2 miles away . Its all about location. We have been on the fence about the blenders , buying 2 for now , looking at the Vitamix or Blendtec , i know we need the industrial strength and they will cost close to a grand each , so im reading these very informative posts and im leaning Vitamix , i know thats what they use at Smoothie King . Any input from experiences would be much appreciated , thanks in advance guys .
I have no experience with Vitamix, but bought a Blendtec about 7 months ago and couldn't be happier with it.

I put them in reusable Tupperware, so no wasted bags. While I’m admittedly skeptical of your protocol, I’ll try it out the next time I get bananas.
How did it go? Are you a convert? I just started making smoothies and will probably freeze my first bunch of bananas soon.

How did it go? Are you a convert? I just started making smoothies and will probably freeze my first bunch of bananas soon.
Still haven’t tried it - I was out of the country and have reduced smoothie consumption in the last few months. I’ll definitely try it and report back though.

Still haven’t tried it - I was out of the country and have reduced smoothie consumption in the last few months. I’ll definitely try it and report back though.

I tried it both ways. I’m not a fan of scraping off the peel.

What’s your thoughts on the healthiest milk substitute? I’ve been going with soy. I like to get the protein although the brand I get has some added sugar. Tastes good though.

What’s your thoughts on the healthiest milk substitute? I’ve been going with soy. I like to get the protein although the brand I get has some added sugar. Tastes good though.

I go coconut then cashew milk but I don't think either is vastly superior. More of a flavor thing for me. Definitely look for the unsweetened varieties because some load in sugar for vanilla/chocolate flavors.

I go coconut then cashew milk but I don't think either is vastly superior. More of a flavor thing for me. Definitely look for the unsweetened varieties because some load in sugar for vanilla/chocolate flavors.
I prefer almond and oat milk, as less saturated fat than coconut/cashew IIRC. Soy ain’t bad either.

But you’re right, get the ones without added sugar, 60 kcal/serving or less

Yeah, I don’t like the idea of peel scraping either.

This has been my go to recipe for almost three years running...it never gets old:

• 1 Banana

• 1.5 cups of blueberries

• 1 cup of oat or almond milk (add additional water for consistency as needed)

• flax seed powder

• hemp protein powder

• turmeric powder

• organic green powder

• 1 tablespoon crunchy peanut butter

• healthy dash of cinnamon
I might toss in a few strawberries or chunks of pineapple from time to time to mix it up.
Still making this every day. Never gets old.

I've been making batches of smoothies lately. Or batches of the ingredients, anyway.

The last batch was twelve servings. I took twelve ziploc freezer bags, like the sandwich size, and divided the following ingredients into twelve equal portions, one for each bag:

6 bananas
6 smallish (Gala) apples
4 large beets
6 mini cucumbers
10 medium carrots
24 (pitted) dates
12 small handfuls of mixed nuts
4 ounces ginger
16 ounces frozen blueberries
16 ounces frozen strawberries
16 ounces frozen pineapple chunks
16 ounces frozen cherries
16 ounces frozen kale
16 ounces frozen broccoli
12 ounces frozen cauliflower

So each bag gets half a banana, a third of a beet, two dates, etc.

I put the twelve bags in the freezer, and whenever I want to make a smoothie, I've got a bag full of smoothie ingredients ready to go.

I just put a small serving of yogurt in the blender with two tablespoons of rolled oats, the contents of a bag full of frozen produce, and however much water looks right ... then blend. Doing twelve servings at once makes it a lot easier. Also, it's pretty convenient to buy a lot of the produce already frozen.

The main reason I'm posting this is to spread the word that you don't have to peel ginger. Seriously, you don't have to. You don't have to peel beets, either. In both cases, just wash them. It makes smoothie-making so much easier because peeling beets and (especially) ginger is absolutely the worst part of the whole ordeal. (You do still have to peel bananas, though.)

Purchased this blender for my shaved ice /smoothie business , so far so good , very rugged and pulverizes anything we put into it.
Paid 465.00

Waring Commercial MX1100XTX 3.5 HP Blender with Electronic Keypad, Pulse Function, 30 Second Countdown Timer and a 64 oz. BPA Free Container, 120V, 5-15 Phase Plug​

Today was 320 days in a row I've been having my fruit smoothie for lunch. Almost a full year.
Have you seen any tangible results? Weight loss? Feel better, etc?

I’ve got to do something to curtail this gradual weight gain.

Definitely good results. Instead of eating a sandwich with a soda at Panera (or wherever) for lunch, I'm now ingesting total goodness instead. What's not positive about that? It tastes delicious so I actually look forward to it every day. Curbs my appetite and keeps me feeling full until dinner time.

My daily routine:
- Not a breakfast eater...just have a Grape Gatorade Zero (used to drink a zero calorie Monster energy every morning and found the Grape Gatorade substitute)
- Smoothie for lunch
- Handful of peanut butter filled pretzels as I walk to the gym for my daily workout
- Then have a normal dinner and don't overthink the calories, just enjoy. Cocktails and desserts are all in play at night.

Basically my philosophy is the entire day I don't put anything bad in my body and get a workout in...dinner (and occasional drinks) are my reward. Gotta have balance and something to look forward to.

My recipe for quick reference:

TOTAL: 580 calories (makes 42 oz)

1 cup water 0 cal

1/2 cup Ocean Spray Diet Cran-Blackberry juice 5 cal

1.5 tbsp whole grain rolled oats 35 cal

1 tbsp ground flaxseed 45 cal

1 TEASPOON Sacred 7 mushroom powder 5 cal

1 scoop Amazing Grass antioxidant (Sweet Berry) 25 cal

2 scoops Vital Proteins collagen & peptides powder 35 cal

1 scoop Quest protein powder (Vanilla Milkshake, approx. 1/3 cup) 110 cal

Half large avocado 130 cal

1 red apple (Fuji) 90 cal

1 cup frozen berry mix (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries) 100 cal

5 ice cubes for coldness 0 cal

Last edited:
Frozen bananas are the best in smoothies. Once they are ripe just stick them in the freezer peel and all. When you're ready to use them run them under warm water for a bit and you can just thumb the peel right off.
I froze some bananas with the peel on a few days ago because I was feeling lazy and I remembered this thread.

Today I took one out and tried to eat it. Peeling it was not a good experience.

I came back here to complain, but upon reviewing the thread, realized that I skipped the "run them under warm water for a bit" step.

I will remember that step next time and come back to report.

Frozen bananas are the best in smoothies. Once they are ripe just stick them in the freezer peel and all. When you're ready to use them run them under warm water for a bit and you can just thumb the peel right off.
I froze some bananas with the peel on a few days ago because I was feeling lazy and I remembered this thread.

I came back here to complain, but upon reviewing the thread, realized that I skipped the "run them under warm water for a bit" step.

I still haven’t done it, even though I promised I would. Can’t get past the idea it complicates an already simple process, with no tangible benefit, other than saving a container.

I still haven’t done it, even though I promised I would. Can’t get past the idea it complicates an already simple process, with no tangible benefit, other than saving a container.
When you keep a peeled banana in the freezer for a period longer than a handful of days, the peeled banana will eventually turn brown and then black. If you put them in the freezer unpeeled, the peel will protect against this. As an added benefit you don't have to waste a plastic bag. When you're ready to eat your frozen in-peel banana, run unpeeled frozen banana under warm/hot water for 30+ seconds and then let it sit for a few minutes. After a few minutes you'll be able to thumb off the peel and enjoy your banana. I've been doing this way for 15+ years. I find the in-peel frozen banana maintains it's flavor better than peeled frozen banana as well. If you prefer not to do it this way or you have a different expereince with bananas in your freezer by all means do it however you prefer.

When you keep a peeled banana in the freezer for a period longer than a handful of days, the peeled banana will eventually turn brown and then black. If you put them in the freezer unpeeled, the peel will protect against this. As an added benefit you don't have to waste a plastic bag. When you're ready to eat your frozen in-peel banana, run unpeeled frozen banana under warm/hot water for 30+ seconds and then let it sit for a few minutes. After a few minutes you'll be able to thumb off the peel and enjoy your banana. I've been doing this way for 15+ years. I find the in-peel frozen banana maintains it's flavor better than peeled frozen banana as well. If you prefer not to do it this way or you have a different expereince with bananas in your freezer by all means do it however you prefer.
Thanks for reminding me. I’m gonna try it, really I am.

ETA think part of the disconnect is I don’t eat the frozen banana directly - it goes right into the blender whether it’s yellow, brown or black. And like preparing banana bread, the overripe dark bananas tend to be sweeter.

Thanks for reminding me. I’m gonna try it, really I am.

ETA think part of the disconnect is I don’t eat the frozen banana directly - it goes right into the blender whether it’s yellow, brown or black. And like preparing banana bread, the overripe dark bananas tend to be sweeter.
I do not put them into the freezer until they are very, very ripe. Heavily bruised on the peel.

Users who are viewing this thread