What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza II: Here's Where the Story Ends (1 Viewer)

John Maddens Lunchbox said:
In - would audio comedy tracks/skits of less than 10 minutes fly?
I would be open to that.

It's not mandatory, but most of the stuff gears to being available for a spotify playlist.  There is tons of stand up comedy stuff on there.  I was surprised at how many of the video game tracks we found too.

Do we have an idea of how many 'rounds' (2 picks out of 3 Genres) we are going to do? Will we always have 3 choices?

Working on the spreadsheet, nerding it up as high as possible. :nerd:
Unfortunately, no.  It's mostly up to the dice.  We decided to let the dice do the talking last draft, and it took until Round 43 to roll Eephus' category.  Maybe this time it only takes until Round 35, or maybe it goes 50+. 

As far as how many choices it will be I am open to that, but I think we should decide that before going forward.  I think 3 or 4.  I was fine with the length last time, but I could see how it might get to be too much.  Eephus suggested that doing 4 at a time would trim down on the risk of going 45+ rounds.   (but maybe also increases the risk of some genres getting passed over more than last time too?)

I am open to whatever the majority thinks, so let's open that up for discussion today.

With 23+ drafters, I would strongly suggest rolling 4 categories for every pair of rounds. 

I'm not sure the round 2 wild card round gets us.  I think a wild card round at the end would make more sense because by then people will have a backlog of songs they would have liked to draft.

Do we have an idea of how many 'rounds' (2 picks out of 3 Genres) we are going to do? Will we always have 3 choices?

Working on the spreadsheet, nerding it up as high as possible. :nerd:
Unfortunately, no.  It's mostly up to the dice.  We decided to let the dice do the talking last draft, and it took until Round 43 to roll Eephus' category.  Maybe this time it only takes until Round 35, or maybe it goes 50+. 

As far as how many choices it will be I am open to that, but I think we should decide that before going forward.  I think 3 or 4.  I was fine with the length last time, but I could see how it might get to be too much.  Eephus suggested that doing 4 at a time would trim down on the risk of going 45+ rounds.   (but maybe also increases the risk of some genres getting passed over more than last time too?)

I am open to whatever the majority thinks, so let's open that up for discussion today.
I guess that after we pick the genres, you will determine the number of rounds before we start picking. That will allow me to have the spreadsheet all set up as we start picking.

With 23+ drafters, I would strongly suggest rolling 4 categories for every pair of rounds. 

I'm not sure the round 2 wild card round gets us.  I think a wild card round at the end would make more sense because by then people will have a backlog of songs they would have liked to draft.
Just doing what we did last time with round two, but also open to cutting that if we don't need it and wanted to trim the rounds too. 

My thought would be round 1 we choose our category and a song as an example. Round 2 we start with the 4 dice roll. That's just my 2 cents.

I intended this as a PM to KarmaPolice but his inbox is full so I'm just going to post:

I want to try to just stay as a participant in this one but have a few comments about Genrepalooza since it's my baby:

1.  I think the sooner we get to dice rolls, the better.  The first round of GP1 was a mistake that only confused people.  It's better if people start posting their genres when they're ready, it'll provoke discussion about what makes a good category and help people out who might not be sure about what to nominate.

2.  It started off as schtick but the reversed draft order every few rounds made a significant difference in draft strategies.  It's not a big bother on the spreadsheet and I think it made the draft better.

3.  It's great to have a lot of participants but length of the draft in this format is a real problem.  I think adding a 4th option every two rounds will help but I haven't done the math.  Setting a fixed number of rounds (e.g. 30) even if a category doesn't get picked might be too drastic for some but it's worth considering.

Great input, eephus- thanks. 

Not sure what you mean about reverse order every few rounds.  Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to realize the order was shifting? 

So are we leaning more towards doing a free for all as we declare the genres, then starting draft order and dice rolls after that? 

Not sure what you mean about reverse order every few rounds.  Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention to realize the order was shifting? 

So are we leaning more towards doing a free for all as we declare the genres, then starting draft order and dice rolls after that? 
I'd vote free for all to pick genes. 

Someone better take comedy.  :thumbup:

Quick clarification  - you said to interpret "genre" broadly. Can it just be songs about something somewhat specific? Like we did the school draft, a genre could just be "songs about school".

Oh, and don't be surprised if holidays actually ends up being a category. 

Quick clarification  - you said to interpret "genre" broadly. Can it just be songs about something somewhat specific? Like we did the school draft, a genre could just be "songs about school".

Oh, and don't be surprised if holidays actually ends up being a category. 
Just meant that more for new drafters in case they didn't follow along with it.  Last time we had grunge and trip hop, but we also had squeezebox and billboard hits, so just wanted to point out to not get too focused on your nomination just having to be a type of music. 

I don't see anything wrong with your idea either and had tossed around ideas like that too.  In the end I think we all just need to be open to shifting categories if we think it might not work or get a lot of love.  I know last time people posted something and changed it after thinking about it.   Again, the more open the "genre" is the better in the long run.  Songs with xylophones in them is probably not great, but songs about food would probably have more options.  I am sure things will clear up as we start posting genres. 

Since this is really like a series of two round mini drafts, I mixed things up last time by periodically swapping the draft order.  So the person drafting first in round 53 and last in 54 would have back to back picks at the 55/56 turn.

It didn't make any difference for people in the middle but it changed things up for the folks at the end and didn't cause as much confusion as I had hoped.

Just meant that more for new drafters in case they didn't follow along with it.  Last time we had grunge and trip hop, but we also had squeezebox and billboard hits, so just wanted to point out to not get too focused on your nomination just having to be a type of music. 

I don't see anything wrong with your idea either and had tossed around ideas like that too.  In the end I think we all just need to be open to shifting categories if we think it might not work or get a lot of love.  I know last time people posted something and changed it after thinking about it.   Again, the more open the "genre" is the better in the long run.  Songs with xylophones in them is probably not great, but songs about food would probably have more options.  I am sure things will clear up as we start posting genres. 
For me, the idea is to pick categories that will produce musically cohesive collaborative playlists.  Most thematic "songs about..." categories don't meet that criteria. 

If you can't think of a dozen songs that fit your category off the top of your head, you're probably being too cute.

For me, the idea is to pick categories that will produce musically cohesive collaborative playlists.  Most thematic "songs about..." categories don't meet that criteria. 

If you can't think of a dozen songs that fit your category off the top of your head, you're probably being too cute.
We need to be a bit creative with 20+ categories and hopes of not repeating categories from last draft. 

I think the bolded would be ideal for sure, but stuff like the Billboard mix was still a good listen as well (of course it leaned more towards an all pop list, I guess).  Definitely agree on the 2nd part too - if you can't name a bunch of examples from your own category, you might want to think again. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what the heck you guys are even discussing honestly.   I have a feeling the concussions are finally catching up with me.  I can't understand your rules.
It seems confusing, but it is easy. 

Step 1:  nominate a genre of music

Step 2:  pick 2 songs from the 4 genres that I post when your turn is up

Step 3:  pick 2 songs from the next 4 genres I post.

etc...

It seems confusing, but it is easy. 

Step 1:  nominate a genre of music

Step 2:  pick 2 songs from the 4 genres that I post when your turn is up

Step 3:  pick 2 songs from the next 4 genres I post.

etc...
After the nomination round, will you lay out the choices for the rest of the rounds or will you do that as we go?

After the nomination round, will you lay out the choices for the rest of the rounds or will you do that as we go?
I was going to do it fairly close to when the next rounds turn, just so we stay in the moment a bit and aren't looking ahead to what cool categories are going to be up for rounds 15 and 16 when we are starting the draft.  I think the exception is if we are coming up on a weekend, I would make sure I post the genres for the weekend before I get distracted.

I know this helps you 0% in making the spreadsheet, but that is what was interesting about the draft - we didn't know how many rounds we'd go or what was coming up next to draft.

I was going to do it fairly close to when the next rounds turn, just so we stay in the moment a bit and aren't looking ahead to what cool categories are going to be up for rounds 15 and 16 when we are starting the draft.  I think the exception is if we are coming up on a weekend, I would make sure I post the genres for the weekend before I get distracted.

I know this helps you 0% in making the spreadsheet, but that is what was interesting about the draft - we didn't know how many rounds we'd go or what was coming up next to draft.
In GP1, I rolled at the far turn.  This balanced out the order advantage of the early drafters.

It was sometimes very useful information to know what was coming next.

Not sure if we get more stragglers or we are just going to stay at our # now.  How is this plan for the masses:

• we can start posting our genres as a FCFS.  There probably isn't a point to have a draft order for this, and I think people skipped around a bit last time anyway.  we will do this through tomorrow, and then..
  • tomorrow night I will randomize and post the draft order, and when everybody has reported and finalized their genre, I will roll the dice for the first wave of genres and we will go from there. 
  • Hopefully we could get everybody in and actually start up drafting on Thursday, and no timer until Monday at the earliest. 

Eephus has some very good points and dealt with this last time, so how about:

• 4 genres at a time for every 2 rounds
  • A genre is closed out if it gets rolled 3X
  • try to keep in the spirit of the draft and the goal of having a fairly cohesive mix to listen to at the end - ie maybe we need to discuss a mix that could get death metal and classical in it.
  • We will have some flexibility and take the draft how it comes.  Not sure what the math is on the lowest possible # of rounds, but we can discuss what to do if it looks like we are heading to another 40+ rounder.  Options might be:  to cap it at 30-35 rounds and have a 2 round Wildcard to take songs from unrolled genres, force the issue with a couple unrolled categories after 20 or so rounds,  or just keep rolling with what the dice gives us. 

In the end this is just about BSing about great music, having fun, and having 20+ new playlists to listen to in a few weeks.  Shouldn't be stressful or complicated here. 

In GP1, I rolled at the far turn.  This balanced out the order advantage of the early drafters.

It was sometimes very useful information to know what was coming next.
So if we are starting with rounds 1 and 2 with rolls, you are saying you would post at the start of round 2 for the next set of genres?

I want same as last time, 3 at a time, draft from two of them, draft goes 72 rounds.

Thinking about our former axed drafts while we have a thread on the front page that seems to be justifying producers using sex as part of the audition process for young actresses. FFS.
I'm sure I'll call out Joe again at some point during this draft after several beers but before posting italic lyrics. Or I should probably let it go so as not to get this one axed as well but that doesn't really sound like drunk me.

Like last time, I'll help as much as possible with Spotify playlists. I think last year Eephus had a lot of them ready to go in advance, which I can also help with. I don't know how much I'll be able to update spreadsheet etc.. during the day but I don't mind doing this at night when my wife is in bed and I'm up watching hockey anyway.

Like last time, I'll help as much as possible with Spotify playlists. I think last year Eephus had a lot of them ready to go in advance, which I can also help with. I don't know how much I'll be able to update spreadsheet etc.. during the day but I don't mind doing this at night when my wife is in bed and I'm up watching hockey anyway.
I should be able to do the spreadsheet most of the time. Might be a bit behind this weekend, folks will be in town.

ETA: Although I'm sure Mom wouldn't care if I spent hours in front of the Mac. She'll understand. :sarcasm:

This is who I have in the 25 on my list (not in pick order)...

KarmaPolice
Mr. Ected
Northern Voice
Hov34
rockaction
John Maddens Lunchbox
Doug B
Dr. Octopus
dal_boys_phan
El Floppo
-OZ-
ren hoek
AhrnCityPahnder
Steve Tasker
Raging Weasel
Simey
bonzai
The Dreaded Marco
sn0mm1s
Eephus
Abrantes
Waingro
Mr. CIA
cosjobs
Krista4

If we have Mr. E on the spreadsheet and if you and I split up the spotify playlists, we should be able to keep up on this. 

Users who are viewing this thread