What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

It wouldn't have made my cut, but hat tip Titus on the Burn Baby Burn add. I had lost track of it and had no clue Ash was british anyway. It's back in the rotation now though 👊👍

Guys? I just enjoyed a Pink Floyd song. Might be pushing my luck listening to Jethro Tull now.
I know you aren't referring to this Pink Floyd song, but what did you think about Pink Floyd's song Mother? It's about an overprotective mother who helps the person (her son) build a mental wall around himself from the world. It isn't healthy, and the last line in the song is "Mother did it need to be so high." The wall was built so high he is basically trapped behind it. It isn't a feel good song, but it has always been one of my favorites. The Wall is a concept album, so maybe it would work better for you if you listened to the whole album. So, listen to the whole album and report back. Just kidding!

@Pip's Invitation I heard Jerry "The Geater" Blavat passed away. XPN's doing a salute to him tomorrow from 2 til 7
One of my friends texted me about that earlier today.

I also got a call from my stepmother, who probably only has a few months to live, saying that she was thinking of me because she heard the news about David Crosby.
You ever listen to his show XPN runs on Saturday? Drove me crazy because it's obvious he lived/loved the music he played, but he talked all over the records he played.
I caught it a few times when I happened to be in the car at the time.

Guys? I just enjoyed a Pink Floyd song. Might be pushing my luck listening to Jethro Tull now.

Good luck... I tried, but it's not happening.

Since I do force myself to listen to at least three minutes of each song, I did get 10 seconds or so of flute.

Today's new-to-me winners!
On the Turning Away, by Pink Floyd - I'm as surprised as anyone about this.
Paris, by The 1975 - wow
I think we found the issue. You’re allergic to Roger Waters.

Round 27 continued

In the Air Tonight - This song reminds me of high school, and a friend always telling the urban legend attached to it at every party. I always waited for the big drum part to play air drums.
Baker Street - This song reminds me of the 70s, and singing along to the song. It's good memories.
All Right Now - Same as above. After Paul Rodgers left Free he formed Bad Company. I love their debut album.
The Trooper - This song reminds me of a Thanksgiving dinner where this song was blaring from my brother's room, and my grandparents were looking around like WTF.
Notorious - I'm a fan.
Dear God - Brings back good memories of college.

Paul Rodgers is a great singer but he never quite reached the heights of “All Right Now” ever again, not with Free or Bad Company or Queen. This was a one time achievement for his vocal cords, but man what an achievement.

I know you aren't referring to this Pink Floyd song, but what did you think about Pink Floyd's song Mother? It's about an overprotective mother who helps the person (her son) build a mental wall around himself from the world. It isn't healthy, and the last line in the song is "Mother did it need to be so high." The wall was built so high he is basically trapped behind it. It isn't a feel good song, but it has always been one of my favorites. The Wall is a concept album, so maybe it would work better for you if you listened to the whole album. So, listen to the whole album and report back. Just kidding!

That one wasn't my jam, but I'll give it another try sometime.

New-to-me favorites from #27:

Burn Baby Burn -- Ash (Titusbramble). Why has this been hiding from me? This is grade A power pop on speed. I want more.
Lady Strange -- Def Leppard (Zamboni). I may have heard this as a tween or teen but if so, I can't remember. Great riffage and hyperenergetic fun.
Spooky -- Dusty Springfield (Cosjobs). I had no idea she did a version of this. It's magnificent, as one would expect.
The Trooper -- Iron Maiden (jwb). I'm not an '80s metal guy, and neither are any of my friends, so I don't know a whole lot of Maiden material. This is badass.

Burn Baby Burn -- Ash (Titusbramble). Why has this been hiding from me? This is grade A power pop on speed. I want more.

In the States, they were lumped into the American pop/punk movement of '93-'97, which is really power pop on speed. I'd recommend their album 1977. It's pretty good. They had a song "Jack Names The Planets" that was on the Angus soundtrack that a bunch of pop punkers were on, including some of my old faves like The Riverdales and The Smoking Popes.

Lady Strange -- Def Leppard (Zamboni). I may have heard this as a tween or teen but if so, I can't remember. Great riffage and hyperenergetic fun.
Spooky -- Dusty Springfield (Cosjobs). I had no idea she did a version of this. It's magnificent, as one would expect.
The Trooper -- Iron Maiden (jwb). I'm not an '80s metal guy, and neither are any of my friends, so I don't know a whole lot of Maiden material. This is badass.
Whoa, I think Pip needs to go on a Maiden deep dive adventure!

This one clicked a lot more for you than Wasted Years that was taken before?

Reactions: jwb
DURAN DURAN WAS JUST THE ANSWER (OR QUESTION) ON JEOPARDY AS I READ THIS PAGE. :tinfoilhat:
Did you see the Beatles category they had yesterday?

No! I was out last night and missed the show.
The category was Self-Referential Beatles.

$400: John's "How Do You Sleep?" told us "The only thing you done was" this song where Paul's troubles seemed so far away

What is Yesterday?

$800: "See how they fly like Lucy in the sky, see how they run" in this song, goo goo g'joob

What is I Am the Walrus?

$1200: "There's nothing you can know that isn't known", like adding "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah" to the end of this song

What is All You Need Is Love?

$1600: "Glass Onion" begins, "I told you about" this title spot, "you know the place where nothing is real"

What is Strawberry Fields?

$2000: "I'm The Greatest" had Ringo sing, "Yes, my name is" him, "the one and only" singer in Sgt. Pepper's band

Who is Billy Shears?

I don't see that being taken. Was it in Last 5 Out? I haven't gotten through all of that yet.

DURAN DURAN WAS JUST THE ANSWER (OR QUESTION) ON JEOPARDY AS I READ THIS PAGE. :tinfoilhat:

$400: John's "How Do You Sleep?" told us "The only thing you done was" this song where Paul's troubles seemed so far away

What is Yesterday?

$800: "See how they fly like Lucy in the sky, see how they run" in this song, goo goo g'joob

What is I Am the Walrus?

$1200: "There's nothing you can know that isn't known", like adding "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah" to the end of this song

$1600: "Glass Onion" begins, "I told you about" this title spot, "you know the place where nothing is real"

$2000: "I'm The Greatest" had Ringo sing, "Yes, my name is" him, "the one and only" singer in Sgt. Pepper's band

Who is Billy Shears?

I found all of those easy, but I would think for a regular person that the $400 one was harder than some of those below it.

I don't see that being taken. Was it in Last 5 Out? I haven't gotten through all of that yet.
Good question. I could be mistaken too, just thought I remembered it on a playlist. I will double check.

What is Yesterday?

What is I Am the Walrus?

Who is Billy Shears?

I found all of those easy, but I would think for a regular person that the $400 one was harder than some of those below it.
Yesterday
is arguably the most famous song in the world, so perhaps they figured quoting one of its lyrics would make it easy. You don't need to know anything about How Do You Sleep to get the response right.

You'll be happy to know that the contestants got them all correct.

What is Yesterday?

What is I Am the Walrus?

Who is Billy Shears?

Yesterday
is arguably the most famous song in the world, so perhaps they figured quoting one of its lyrics would make it easy. You don't need to know anything about How Do You Sleep to get the response right.

You'll be happy to know that the contestants got them all correct.

Oh! I missed the lyric ("this song where Paul's troubles seemed so far away"). I got to the end of the lyric from "How Do You Sleep?" and knew it right away since I've listened to it hundreds of times, so just skipped right down to the next question. :lol:

3 Shout Outs from the 5 pointers
Dear God by XTC
Paris by 1975
Fading Lights by Genesis

Can't say I was very familiar with any of them and I enjoyed all 3 quite a bit.

Also it's tough to hearCruel Summer and Another Sunny Day right now, feels like they are just taunting me. We are getting maybe 3 hours of sun a week right now. Everything is gray.

Oh! I missed the lyric ("this song where Paul's troubles seemed so far away"). I got to the end of the lyric from "How Do You Sleep?" and knew it right away since I've listened to it hundreds of times, so just skipped right down to the next question. :lol:
Yeah when I first read the question I thought it was confusing and also couldn't believe how hard the first question was, then I realized the last part was just basically a big sign giving away the answer.

Fading Lights by Genesis
Fading Lights is one of the very best Genesis songs from the Collins era, and it came 16 years after he became lead singer, after they had become pop hitmakers almost to the same degree that Phil himself was as a solo artist. No matter how poppy they got -- this one is on the same album as I Can't Dance and Hold on My Heart -- they always had at least a few tracks on each album that reminded everybody where they came from.

Maiden is really good. They are much more melodic than your typical metal band and not thrash (Metallica-sounding) at all. Bruce Dickinson is a first-rate vocalist, and their songs tell good stories too.

4 point round talk

Top 1200 shuke picks (THAT MEANS THESE ARE THE BEST PICKS)
MAC_32: In The Meantime - Spacehog
KarmaPolice: Still Of The Night - Whitesnake
higgins: Alive And Kicking (from Live from the City of Light) - Simple Minds
landrys hat: Your Love - The Outfield
falguy: I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
jwb: Gloria – Them

Other favorites
New Binky the Doormat: Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney
Yankee23Fan: I Feel Free - Cream
scorchy: Airbag – Radiohead (I'll favorite every Radiohead song posted here and you can't stop me. This is probably top 5 for me)
Zegras11: Roundabout -Yes

New to me favorites:
titusbramble: Cody – Mogwai (followed up by rockaction's previous selection, I really need to check them out)
The Dreaded Marco: American Trilogy - The Delgados

Have heard this 8000 times and never knew who it was:
Andy Dufresne: Ready To Go - Republica
Doug B: Love Is In The Air - John Paul Young

Users who are viewing this thread