What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

Continuing my Stones marathon from last night, I have listened to these four consecutive albums:

Beggar’s Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

This is some run. I know there are a few other classic rock bands with album runs that can match it (particularly the other two members of what Krista calls “the big three”) but personally I think this is the best.

Just popping in with a drive-by posting from (supposed) paradise. As much as I ***** about being here, it's 87 degrees in Punta Cana and 22 degrees back home, and as my wife said yesterday, it's good resorts like this exist for loud, drunk, boorish people to congregate so the rest of us don't encounter them when we vacation.

My HS class song was Hold On by En Vogue, and the Portishead song I picked was the first dance at our wedding. Like I posted earlier, Mrs. Scorchy loved trip hop. Figured it made for an appropriate counterbalance to Sinead's divorce song from the day before.

My buddy's wedding is in two hours. Outside. No shade. At least they OKed shorts.

Twenty-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

20th Century Man - The Kinks
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

Holidays In The Sun - Sex Pistols
(new song)

worrierking:

All Men Are Liars - Nick Lowe
(new song)

titusbramble:

Ashes To Ashes - David Bowie
(new song)

simey:

We're Not Gonna Take It - The Who
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

All I Need – Radiohead
(new song)

Don Quixote:

Baba O’Riley - The Who
(duplicate – fifth AND sixth votes today)

MAC_32:

The Irish Rover - The Pogues
(new song)

timschochet:

I’ve Got A Feeling - The Beatles
(new song)

Yankee23Fan:

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner – Iron Maiden
(duplicate – second vote)

Hawks64:

Crying In The Rain – Whitesnake
(new song)

jwb:

Starman – David Bowie
(duplicate – third vote)

DrIanMalcolm:

The Killing Moon - Echo & The Bunnymen
(duplicate - fourth vote)

Dr. Octopus:

This Charming Man - The Smiths
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

Glory Box – Portishead
(duplicate - second vote)

shuke:

Year Of The Cat – Al Stewart 🐱

Manster:

Space Oddity - David Bowie
(new song)

scorchy:

Children's Story - Slick Rick
(new artist)

Sullie:

Big Log - Robert Plant

Andy Dufresne:

The Promise - When In Rome
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

I'm Going Home (Woodstock Version) - Ten Years After
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

My Oh My – Slade
(new song)

higgins:

Would I Lie To You - Eurythmics
(duplicate – third vote)

The Dreaded Marco:

Queen ***** - David Bowie
(new song)

simsarge:

If I Fell - The Beatles
(new song)

Mt. Man:

Love, Reign O'er Me - The Who
(duplicate – third AND fourth votes today)

landrys hat:

The House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals
(duplicate – third vote)

Westerberg:

Take Me Out – Franz Ferdinand
(duplicate – fifth vote)

Eephus:

Love Is The Drug - Roxy Music
(new song)

rockaction:

Can’t You Hear Me Knocking – The Rolling Stones
(new song)

falguy:

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
(duplicate – third vote)

Hov34:

Baba O'Riley – The Who

zamboni:

Love, Reign O’er Me - The Who

Doug B:

Teacher - Jethro Tull

Ilov80s:

I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor - Arctic Monkeys
(new song)

Val Rannous:

White Wedding - Part 1 - Billy Idol
(duplicate – third vote)

Chaos34:

A Town Called Malice - The Jam
(new song)

Chaz McNulty:

When We Were Young – Adele
(new song)

Zegras11:

The Song Remains The Same - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Land Of Confusion – Genesis
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

At Home He Is A Tourist - Gang of Four
(new song)

Mrs. Eephus:

Gold - Spandau Ballet

ditkaburgers:

If You Leave - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark

cosjobs:

A Day In The Life – The Beatles

krista4:

The Modern Leper - Frightened Rabbit

Last edited:
Funny that both Dr. O's idiots and our dummies had the same word censored today. :lol:

Another first in middle-aged dummydom! Two firsts, actually. The Who received Deja Votes today for two different songs (Love Reign O'er Me and Baby O'Riley) AND Baba O'Riley had its second Deja Vote! Anyone who didn't take them for the top 10 is likely concerned now. (I don't recall if anyone didn't, though.)

Also, there's this:

Five votes:
Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve

Four votes:
Son Of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield

Two votes:
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry

One vote:
She Blinded Me With Science - Thomas Dolby
6 Underground - Sneaker Pimps
A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum
Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe
Song 2 - Blur
Damaged Goods - Gang of Four
One Night In Bangkok - Murray Head
I Will Wait - Mumford and Sons
Time Of The Season - The Zombies
Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears for Fears

Wild Thing - Troggs
Bang A Gong (Get It On) - T. Rex
Freedom '90 - George Michael
You Got Another Thing Coming - Judas Priest

Continuing my Stones marathon from last night, I have listened to these four consecutive albums:

Beggar’s Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

This is some run. I know there are a few other classic rock bands with album runs that can match it (particularly the other two members of what Krista calls “the big three”) but personally I think this is the best.
Of the Big Three, the Beatles at least match it.

Stevie Wonder beats it.

There Goes the Fear -- Doves (Krista4). Another winner from them. The first half reminded me of the Coldplay deep tracks that have been picked in this exercise, and then the momentum really took off in the second half. The percussion-driven ending reminded me of Chicago's "Beginnings."

Yes! I knew it reminded me of something. Nailed it.

Dr. Octopus did a Stones countdown https://forums.footballguys.com/thr...-four-musketeers-get-their-ya-yas-out.775791/, as Krista had done with the Beatles before (and I did with Neil Young later -- you saw the Facebook version of that).

Anarchy99 (not a participant in the current exercises) last year ran a Zeppelin vote/countdown in kind of the same format as these ones. https://forums.footballguys.com/thr...evee-breaks-from-led-zeppelin-iv-1971.802661/

Dunno if a Stevie, Bruce or Beatles covers exercise has been done. Before the pandemic I mostly stuck to the Shark Pool and didn't come to the FFA much. Others would have a better idea.

No Stevie draft or countdown (that would be a fun one), but @Uruk-Hai did have an official Stevie thread.

And I know fewer people are interested in this subject matter, but I think I did a much better job on my post-Beatles Beatles countdown than I did my original Beatles countdown. I worked much harder on the second countdown, giving a lot more history, and organized it much better.

Last edited:

Beggar’s Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

Beggar’s Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

Stevie Wonder beats it.

Yeah, Stevie probably beats it.

Zep gets close with III/IV/Houses/Physical Graffiti. The Beatles probably exceed it, honestly, with Help/Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt Pepper/White Album.

Bruce? Might be my Jersey bias here, but I think I'd take Born to Run/Darkness/The River/Nebraska/Born in the USA over most comers.

Dr. Octopus did a Stones countdown https://forums.footballguys.com/thr...-four-musketeers-get-their-ya-yas-out.775791/, as Krista had done with the Beatles before (and I did with Neil Young later -- you saw the Facebook version of that).

Anarchy99 (not a participant in the current exercises) last year ran a Zeppelin vote/countdown in kind of the same format as these ones. https://forums.footballguys.com/thr...evee-breaks-from-led-zeppelin-iv-1971.802661/

Dunno if a Stevie, Bruce or Beatles covers exercise has been done. Before the pandemic I mostly stuck to the Shark Pool and didn't come to the FFA much. Others would have a better idea.

No Stevie draft or countdown (that would be a fun one), but @Uruk-Hai did have an official Stevie thread.

And I know fewer people are interested in this subject matter, but I think I did a much better job on my post-Beatles Beatles countdown than I did my original Beatles countdown. I worked much harder on the second countdown, giving a lot more history, and organized it much better.

Stevie draft would be pretty fantastic, honestly.

Reading through a lot of Pip's posts it does more now occur to me that Pip: music :: Me: Movies.

@falguy , realized that one of the times I previously posted "Love, Reign O'er Me," I forgot the comma. Just letting you know so it doesn't mess up your spreadsheet. Should have shown up four times now.

Beggar’s Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

Beggar’s Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

Stevie Wonder beats it.

Yeah, Stevie probably beats it.

Zep gets close with III/IV/Houses/Physical Graffiti. The Beatles probably exceed it, honestly, with Help/Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt Pepper/White Album.

Bruce? Might be my Jersey bias here, but I think I'd take Born to Run/Darkness/The River/Nebraska/Born in the USA over most comers.

Stevie draft would be pretty fantastic, honestly.

Reading through a lot of Pip's posts it does more now occur to me that Pip: music :: Me: Movies.
Interesting that you start your LZ run with III, I would have begun it with their first album. The Led Zeppelin run is the longest (not necessarily the best).

Twenty-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

20th Century Man - The Kinks
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

Holidays In The Sun - Sex Pistols
(new song)

worrierking:

All Men Are Liars - Nick Lowe
(new song)

titusbramble:

Ashes To Ashes - David Bowie
(new song)

simey:

We're Not Gonna Take It - The Who
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

All I Need – Radiohead
(new song)

Don Quixote:

Baba O’Riley - The Who

MAC_32:

The Irish Rover - The Pogues
(new song)

timschochet:

I’ve Got A Feeling - The Beatles
(new song)

Yankee23Fan:

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner – Iron Maiden

Hawks64:

Crying In The Rain – Whitesnake
(new song)

jwb:

Starman – David Bowie
(duplicate – third vote)

DrIanMalcolm:

The Killing Moon - Echo & The Bunnymen
(duplicate - fourth vote)

Dr. Octopus:

This Charming Man - The Smiths
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

Glory Box – Portishead

shuke:

Year Of The Cat – Al Stewart 🐱

Manster:

Space Oddity - David Bowie
(new song)

scorchy:

Children's Story - Slick Rick
(new artist)

Sullie:

Big Log - Robert Plant

Andy Dufresne:

The Promise - When In Rome
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

I'm Going Home (Woodstock Version) - Ten Years After
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

My Oh My – Slade
(new song)

higgins:

Would I Lie To You - Eurythmics
(duplicate – third vote)

The Dreaded Marco:

Queen ***** - David Bowie
(new song)

simsarge:

If I Fell - The Beatles
(new song)

Mt. Man:

Love, Reign O'er Me - The Who

landrys hat:

The House Of The Rising Sun - The Animals
(duplicate – third vote)

Westerberg:

Take Me Out – Franz Ferdinand
(duplicate – fifth vote)

Eephus:

Love Is The Drug - Roxy Music
(new song)

rockaction:

Can’t You Hear Me Knocking – The Rolling Stones
(new song)

falguy:

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
(duplicate – third vote)

Hov34:

Baba O'Riley – The Who

zamboni:

Love, Reign O’er Me - The Who

Doug B:

Teacher - Jethro Tull

Ilov80s:

I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor - Arctic Monkeys
(new song)

Val Rannous:

White Wedding - Part 1 - Billy Idol
(duplicate – third vote)

Chaos34:

A Town Called Malice - The Jam
(new song)

Chaz McNulty:

When We Were Young – Adele
(new song)

Zegras11:

The Song Remains The Same - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Land Of Confusion – Genesis
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

At Home He Is A Tourist - Gang of Four
(new song)

Mrs. Eephus:

Gold - Spandau Ballet

ditkaburgers:

If You Leave - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark

cosjobs:

A Day In The Life – The Beatles

krista4:

The Modern Leper - Frightened Rabbit
The dozen pick playlist

Interesting that you start your LZ run with III, I would have begun it with their first album. The Led Zeppelin run is the longest (not necessarily the best).

I was extending the earlier parameters of 4 in a row, so going with the peak, given Presence is a step down from the others. But sure. Then again - and again, Jersey - Bruce's run goes from The WIld, The Innocent/Born to Run/Darkness/The River/Nebraska/Born in the USA/Tunnel of Love, so that's 7 in a row.

I was extending the earlier parameters of 4 in a row, so going with the peak, given Presence is a step down from the others. But sure. Then again - and again, Jersey - Bruce's run goes from The WIld, The Innocent/Born to Run/Darkness/The River/Nebraska/Born in the USA/Tunnel of Love, so that's 7 in a row.
I like selected songs from Nebraska and Tunnel of Love, but IMO they’re not overall of the same quality of the other albums you named.

Beggar’s Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street

A few personal favorite runs of 4:

David Bowie

The Man Who Sold the World
Hunky Dory
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Aladdin Sane

Wilco

Summerteeth
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
A Ghost Is Born
Sky Blue Sky

U2*

War
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby

*Rattle & Hum is a mix of original, live and cover songs with only half the album consisting of originals. Doesn't count.

Users who are viewing this thread