What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Didn't OH submit a song that included a bag of cats being whacked with a rubber hose?
This one?
oh, my
Gabe Kaplan's second finest moment after this one.
Holey moley -- speaking of Serious Business [TM] !
Conrad was an overbearing macho doosh and got housed by wimpy Mr. Kotter.
Gabe getting the Kiss For Luck from Lynda Carter at 1:26 :D

EDIT: Plus I think Kaplan sand-bagged Conrad. Kaplan half-steps for 20 yards, and then turns into Carl Lewis. Classic!

Didn't OH submit a song that included a bag of cats being whacked with a rubber hose?
This one?
oh, my
Holey moley -- speaking of Serious Business [TM] !
Conrad was an overbearing macho doosh and got housed by wimpy Mr. Kotter.
Gabe getting the Kiss For Luck from Lynda Carter at 1:26 :D

EDIT: Plus I think Kaplan sand-bagged Conrad. Kaplan half-steps for 20 yards, and then turns into Carl Lewis. Classic!
How about Telly Savalas copping a smoke at the very beginning of the clip. 🚬

JFC.

Every day I have this set in a Word document, with formatting and hyperlinks, and I copy it in here and then do minor clean-up. Today and today only, when I copy it in, I'm losing all the formatting and most importantly the hyperlinks. If I can't get this to work, it's going to take me quite a while. What the hell. Maybe I'll close it out and then come back in and try again.

This one?
oh, my
And he got kissed by Lynda Carter!
I'm worried that Bob Conrad's dog got kicked when he got home.
Remember the meathead energy he displayed in these ads?

JFC.

Every day I have this set in a Word document, with formatting and hyperlinks, and I copy it in here and then do minor clean-up. Today and today only, when I copy it in, I'm losing all the formatting and most importantly the hyperlinks. If I can't get this to work, it's going to take me quite a while. What the hell. Maybe I'll close it out and then come back in and try again.
There are some weird HTML formatting things going on with the board. User tags and emojis not auto populating and the inability to do anything to quoted text. Weird.

JFC.

No worries - in the meantime I’ll post more Battle of the Network Stars clips.

JFC.

There are some weird HTML formatting things going on with the board. User tags and emojis not auto populating and the inability to do anything to quoted text. Weird.
Aha! That must be it. Crap. Don’t they know it’s an important date for middle-aged dummies!

JFC.

Aha! That must be it. Crap. Don’t they know it’s an important date for middle-aged dummies!
It's sad, so sad
It's a sad, sad situation
And it's getting more
And more absurd

My computer is updating and restarting now. If it still doesn’t work, I think it best for me just to post the picks without links.
I doubt people click on the links anyway. I think most listen off the playlists.

Yeah, but some people don't use Spotify and sometimes a particular version is requested that isn't on Spotify.

OK, this formatting thing isn't going to work, so I'll post in a minute.

Thirty-One-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

Dogs -- Pink Floyd
(new song)

New Binky the Doormat:

Tin Soldier - Small Faces
(duplicate – second vote)

worrierking:

London Calling - The Clash
(duplicate – fifth vote)

titusbramble:

Black Star – Radiohead
(new song)

simey:

A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum
(duplicate – sixth vote)

Just Win Baby:

Babe I’m Gonna Leave You - Led Zeppelin
(duplicate – third vote)

Don Quixote:

Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks
(duplicate – fifth AND sixth votes today)

MAC_32:

Abbey Road Medley - The Beatles
(duplicate – fourth vote)

timschochet:

Whiskey In The Jar - Thin Lizzy

Yankee23Fan:

Let It Be – The Beatles

Hawks64:

Fool In The Rain – Led Zeppelin
(duplicate – third vote)

jwb:

Hallowed Be Thy Name – Iron Maiden
(duplicate – third vote)

DrIanMalcolm:

Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John
(duplicate – sixth, seventh, AND eighth votes today, and the non-Big 3 favorite song winner!!)

Dr. Octopus:

Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles
(duplicate - fifth vote)

KarmaPolice:

Pyramid Song – Radiohead
(new song)

shuke:

In The Light - Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin
(duplicate - third vote)

Manster:

Fearless - Pink Floyd
(new song)

scorchy:

Bad (Live from Wide Awake in America) - U2
(duplicate - fourth vote)

Sullie:

Four Sticks - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

Andy Dufresne:

Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
(new song)

Mister CIA:

Victoria - The Kinks
(duplicate - second vote)

Mrs. Rannous:

Would I Lie To You – Eurythmics
(duplicate - fourth vote)

higgins:

Hey Jude - Beatles
(duplicate – third vote)

The Dreaded Marco:

Let Down – Radiohead
(duplicate – third AND votes today)

simsarge:

Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John h
(duplicate – sixth, seventh, AND eighth votes today, and the non-Big 3 favorite song winner!!)

Mt. Man:

Let Down – Radiohead
(duplicate – third AND votes today)

landrys hat:

The Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks

Westerberg:

Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks
(duplicate – fifth AND sixth votes today)

Eephus:

(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding - Elvis Costello
(duplicate – third vote)

rockaction:

A Hard Day's Night - The Beatles

falguy:

Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
(duplicate – seventh vote)

Hov34:

Into The Mystic - Van Morrison
(duplicate – eighth vote)

zamboni:

Echoes - Pink Floyd
(new song)

Doug B:

Heroes - David Bowie
(duplicate – fifth vote)

Ilov80s:

Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Paint It, Black - The Rolling Stones
(duplicate – seventh vote)

Chaos34:

Time - Pink Floyd

Chaz McNulty:

Viva La Vida – Coldplay
(new song)

Zegras11:

Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - Elton John

AAABatteries:

In My Life - The Beatles
(duplicate – second AND third votes today)

Oliver Humanzee:

All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
(new song)

Mrs. Eephus:

To Sir With Love – Lulu
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know) - The 1975
(new song)

cosjobs:

Dead Flowers - The Rolling Stones

krista4:

In My Life - The Beatles
(duplicate – second AND third votes today)

Last edited:
Top Artist: The Beatles
Top Female Artist – Amy Winehouse (21st overall)

25 Favorite Artists from the British Isles According to Middle-Aged Dummies:

1: The Beatles: 1320

2: The Rolling Stones: 1018

3: Led Zeppelin: 998

4: Elton John: 686

TIE 5: David Bowie: 648

TIE 5: The Who: 648

7: Pink Floyd: 644

8: The Kinks: 581

9: U2: 572

10: Van Morrison: 431

11. Radiohead: 414

12. The Clash: 376

13. Elvis Costello: 341

14. The Cure: 322

15. Black Sabbath: 316

16. Iron Maiden: 280

17. Peter Gabriel: 251

18. Def Leppard: 229

19. Deep Purple: 204

20. Electric Light Orchestra: 203

21. Amy Winehouse: 200

22. The Smiths: 193

23. George Harrison: 192

24. Ozzy Osbourne: 187

25. Cream: 181

JFC.

No worries - in the meantime I’ll post more Battle of the Network Stars clips.
All the reboot shows are mostly not needed and/or crap but would love for them to give this a try. Probably end up mostly B listers because of the money TV stars get now days

Last edited:
Top song: “Gimme Shelter”

Top non-Big 3 song: “Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding” (2nd overall)

Ace Award co-winners: Mark Ronson for “Valerie” (22nd overall) and, since that was a lame way to win, Phil Collins for “In the Air Tonight” (38th overall)

Favorite Songs from British Isles Artists According to Middle-Aged Dummies:
1. Gimme Shelter - 217
2. Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding - 205
3. Into the Mystic - 195
4. Baba O’Riley - 181
5. Comfortably Numb - 177
6. Paint It, Black – 154
TIE 7. Solsbury Hill - 150
TIE 7. A Day in the Life – 150
TIE 9. Heroes - 148
TIE 9. Waterloo Sunset - 148
11. When the Levee Breaks - 143
12. Train in Vain - 137
13. Zombie - 124
TIE 14. Bad - 113
TIE 14. Here Comes the Sun - 113
TIE 14. War Pigs (including War Pigs/Luke’s Wall) - 113
17. Kashmir - 110
18. Abbey Road Medley – 109
19. Sympathy for the Devil – 108
20. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - 105
21. The House of the Rising Sun – 104
22. Valerie - 103
23. Time - 101
24. Let Down – 98
25. A Whiter Shade of Pale – 97

Contest results!

***OFFICIAL*** contest winners: Just Win Baby and Pip’s Invitation, with a total of seven points and a win in the tiebreaker over Eephus (lost by only six points in the tiebreaker), scorchy, AAABatteries, and contest-master Val Rannous. Despite applying two tie-breakers, this one will be split because they selected exactly the same answers!

No one correctly guessed the highest-scoring non-Big-3 song, but each of these individuals predicted six of the seven artists filling out the top 10, as well as the top overall point-getter.

SUPER-AWESOME-MEGA-CONTEST!!!111 winner: Pip’s Invitation, with an impressive total of 10 correct!

This is going to be hard to read without formatting available but the following are the point totals/winners to the SUPER-AWESOME-MEGA-CONTEST!!!111 questions, with the first number reflecting what the winner was at the time I posted, and the second the ultimate winner, except I didn’t calculate #1 or #2 at the time of posting so only have the final rankings.
In parens is the number of people who got it correct, out of 27 participants in the contest.

The “hardest” question was #2 regarding Led Zeppelin albums, which only four people guessed correctly, followed by #11 and #10 with only five and six votes, respectively. The “easiest” question was #10 about the baldies, where Phil Collins was correctly selected by 20 people. Overall, the “consensus” choices were correct only six of 15 times, which makes the winning score of 10 all the more impressive.

1. Sorry, Ringo:

Who will have the most cumulative points from Beatles songs primarily attributable to them: (a) George (246), (b) John (427.5), or (c) Paul (375.5)? For these purposes, we will omit the Abbey Road Medley and A Day in the Life. If you're unsure about other songs, please post them here for ***official*** attribution. John (9)

John: Across the Universe, And Your Bird Can Sing, Come Together, Day Tripper, A Hard Day’s Night, Help!, Hey Bulldog, I Feel Fine, If I Fell, In My Life, ½ I’ve Got A Feeling, Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man, Rain, ½ She Loves You, Ticket To Ride, Tomorrow Never Knows
Paul: Blackbird, Eleanor Rigby, Get Back, Helter Skelter, Hey Jude, ½ I’ve Got A Feeling, Let It Be, ½ She Loves You, Two of Us, Yesterday
George: Here Comes the Sun, If I Needed Someone, Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps

2. I Was Told There Would Be No Math:

Which of the following Led Zeppelin albums will score the most cumulative points: (a) Houses of the Holy (105); (b) Led Zeppelin (I) (91); (c) Led Zeppelin II (80); or (d) Led Zeppelin III (45)? Houses of the Holy (4)

3. If for Any Reason Their First Song Cannot Fulfill Its Duties:

Which of the following Rolling Stones songs will be their second-most popular: (a) Can't You Hear Me Knocking (50); (b) Dead Flowers (95); (c) Gimme Shelter (217); (d) Loving Cup (44); or (e) Paint It, Black (154)?
(Note, if none of these ends up second, then the correct answer will be which song ends up third, or if not third then fourth, etc.) Paint It, Black/Paint It, Black (8) Special shout-out to DrIanMalcolm for correctly stating that this was a trick question because “Gimme Shelter” was #1, though unfortunately he still didn’t get the #2 song right.

4. You Owe Me 21 Cents:

Which of the following female-dominated artists will score the highest (Binky: which man will score the lowest): (a) The Cranberries (170); (b) The Eurythmics (102); (c) PJ Harvey (121); (d) Dusty Springfield (119); or (e) Amy Winehouse (200)? Amy Winehouse/Amy Winehouse (14)

5. We Like You! We Really Really Like You!:

Which of the following artists will have the most unique songs selected (i.e., highest number of songs with at least one vote): (a) David Bowie (17); (b) Elton John (17); (c) Radiohead (12); (d) U2 (13); or (e) The Who (16)? Elton John/Elton John and David Bowie (18ish). Although I counted the Elton version of “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me” with George Michael separately in the song rankings, I didn’t make it so for these purposes, which resulted in a tie with Bowie. So in fairness, I counted his songs (17) the same as Bowie’s and gave them both credit for this “win,” which ultimately did not matter in terms of the contest winner.
Also I note that Elton had two (2) people make last-minute song switches that took two (2) of his unique songs out of the mix. Before that, he was killing the field.

6. Watch Your Head!:

Which headbanging artist will score the most cumulative points: (a) Black Sabbath (316); (b) Def Leppard (229); or (c) Iron Maiden (280)? Iron Maiden/Black Sabbath (19)

7. Where my Homies at?:

Which artist formerly of a well-known band will score the most points in his solo career: (a) Eric Clapton (66); (b) Peter Gabriel (251), (c) George Harrison (191); (d) Ozzy Osbourne (187); or (e) Rod Stewart (132)? Peter Gabriel/Peter Gabriel (15)

8. Quick pick - Peter Hook-off:

Which band will have a higher cumulative score: Joy Division (127) or New Order (124)? Joy Division/Joy Division (13)

9. Maybe They Could Lend Me a Hat:

Which follically-challenged artist will score the most points: (a) Phil Collins - including solo and Genesis work (85 plus >22 points from Genesis); (b) Sinead O’Connor (107); or (c) Judas Priest (86)? Judas Priest/Phil Collins (20)

10. We Smart and Fancy:

Which song with a literary reference will score the most points: (a) Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters (Elton John) (69); (b) Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Iron Maiden) (66); (c) Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits) (43); or (d) Tales of Brave Ulysses (Cream) (62)? Rime of the Ancient Mariner/Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters (6)

11. :pics: or It Didn’t Happen:

Which song will score the most points: (a) Every Picture Tells a Story (Rod Stewart) (77); (b) Photograph (Def Leppard) (60); (c) Photograph (Ringo Starr) (0); (d) Picture Book (The Kinks) (4); or (e) Pictures of You (The Cure) (69)? Every Picture Tells a Story/Every Picture Tells a Story (5)

12. Moon of My Life, My Sun and Stars:

Which will score the most cumulative points: (a) songs with the stand-alone word "moon" in the title (i.e., no "moondance," etc.); (b) songs with the stand-alone word "sun" in the title (i.e., no "sunshine," etc.) other than Here Comes the Sun; or (c) songs with the stand-alone word "star" in the title (i.e., no "starman," etc.)? Star/Sun (205) (due to a late push on The House of the Rising Sun) (10), Moon (143), Star (110)

13. No Gray/Grey Areas (with apologies to David Gray - eligible!):

Which will represent more total points: (a) the cumulative total of all songs and artists with "white" in their name, whether stand-alone word or a portion of the word; or (b) the cumulative total of the following four songs: Back to Black (Amy Winehouse), Black Dog (Led Zeppelin), Black Star (Radiohead), and Blackbird (The Beatles)? Black/Black 229-219 (12)

14. Hoping Not to Go Directly to Hell for This:

Which song will have the most total points: (a) Hallowed Be Thy Name (Iron Maiden) (71); (b) In God's Country (U2) (42); (c) Just Like Heaven (The Cure) (77); (d) My Sweet Lord (George Harrison) (16); or (e) Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode) (14)? Just Like Heaven/Just Like Heaven (8)

15. The Doctor Is In:

Which unfortunate mental condition will score the most points: (a) Crazy Train (Ozzy Osbourne) (91); (b) Hysteria (Def Leppard) (54); or (c) Paranoid (Black Sabbath) (34)? Crazy Train/Crazy Train (11)

TIEBREAKER:

Which artist and song will win the Ace Award, given to the artist who has the most points but only one song selected? If no one gets it right, we will go to the next eligible artist (i,e, only one song selected). If no one selects an artist that is eligible for the award (i.e., does not have exactly one song selected), then the winner is the person who selects the artist with most points and only two songs selected, then three songs, etc. Turned out to be unnecessary, but the “closest to the pin” award here goes to simey and AAABatteries for choosing “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell, which received 19 points.

Dang -- got six of the seven in Val's contest. Didn't see Van Morrison coming, and thought Oasis would have a lot more stroke with this crew. Fun contest all the same.

What was I smoking to tap U2 as the #1 overall act? Overthought that pretty severely :bag:

Dang -- got six of the seven in Val's contest. Didn't see Van Morrison coming, and thought Oasis would have a lot more stroke with this crew. Fun contest all the same.
I had the same 6 you did plus The Cure. I guess I underestimated the "Disintegration is the best album EVERRRRRRRRRRRR!" sentiment.

(My #1 Cure song is Lovesong and it got no votes.)

Soon after I submitted, I began to think that not including Radiohead was a mistake. But it turned out to be the right call. Van Morrison never entered my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread