What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

New-to-me favorites from #6:

Supernaut -- Black Sabbath (OH). I'm not familiar with Vol. 4, or pretty much anything else after the first three albums. Holy Hell, what a riff. This is now my highest-ranking new-to-me song, even though it shouldn't have been new to me (remember what I said about not being a metalhead).
Listening to this again, I think I have a sense of why this appeals so much to me: To my ears, Tony Iommi's playing on this track sounds like Hendrix. Specifically, the latter-day rocking-and-swinging Hendrix. The main riff seems to be in the same vein as some of the tracks, particularly Ezy Rider, from Hendrix' posthumous 1971 albums, and even hearkens back in some aspects to the version of Buddy Miles' Changes on the Band of Gypsys live album. Bill Ward's drumming helps create this vibe as well.

Could you imagine a Genesis show on Broadway featuring Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford, and Steve Hackett? How many thousand dollar tickets would that sell? How many $100,000 tickets?

Gonna go make nachos. Bye!

Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford, and Steve Hackett? How many thousand dollar tickets would that sell? How many $100,000 tickets?

"Who are they?" asked most people under sixty.
Super Bowl LVII, here we come. Make it LVIX, in case they need a little extra time.

I'll bet there's a direct geneological path between tech bros and the guys who made up Roman numeralogy.

Alright, you wankers - I am going to hijack this thread for a morning to unleash a little Radiohead love. While we were doing the UK playlists I forced myself to do my top 31/36 Radiohead songs. I don't know how others have tackled full discographies of their favorite artists who are more prolific than these guys. Hats off to those posters for sure.

I know at least @Ilov80s posted that they lost track of Radiohead's music after Kid A or so. One thing of their's I can't recommend enough is their 2 From the Basement videos. IN RAINBOWS FROM THE BASEMENT
KING OF LIMBS FROM THE BASEMENT

I tend to like live versions of their songs more, and these are two fantastic little mini concerts they put out of them playing if not all of, at least most of, the song from those albums.

I am not going to do links while I go besides a few live versions of songs I recommend. I am just going to list them in 5-6 song blocks and write a few thoughts. I will post my playlist at the end with the top 5 songs, so if anybody wants to hear songs they don't know I will have that. These songs are just my personal favorites. I'm not even sure that's accurate. How about these are the 36 songs that stood out to me this year, and ended up on the playlist? I would say there was a very hard line that formed for the top 10 that I thought was interesting. After that I would on any given day any of the next wave of songs could be listed from 11-31, and there is not much distancing them from the next 20-30 songs.

Tons of songs I love that couldn't make it it. 3 albums dominate this list, and one album got shut out completely. That shutout came after I was surprised I had 6 songs on it for my initial list. I would say there were also a couple of surprises even to me in the top 20, so we might have some disagreements if any other Radiohead fans like @titusbramble poke their heads in.

"Last 5 out"

2+2=5
JIGSAW FALLING INTO PLACE
IDIOTEQUE
BLOW OUT
GAGGING ORDER

These 5 got replaced over and over as I couldn't decide. This is what was there when I made myself stop the other day. One of the things that stood out to me is my Radiohead soft spot seems to be their slower songs, and there are a couple rockers in here I love that slowly got pushed down for a couple other songs. To me, Idioteque was the the surpsrise low ranking. As I thought about it, I think that song is the perfect example of the live version >>> album, and a big part of why I love the song was because on that tour I loved watching Thom dance and actually look like he was enjoying what he was doing. Gagging Order will probably be new to many people - it's one of the B-sides songs that kept making it on the lists. As a hint for more to come - 3 other B-sides made the top 31.

#31-26:

VIDEOTAPE
NO SURPRISES
OPTIMISTIC
RECKONER
JUST
KARMA POLICE

This is an interesting block of songs. What this group seems to represent when I look at them it is a good representation of the sound is on this list. Most were direct 1:1 battles as I listened to songs I thought were similar, but just done a little better in another song. Videotape perfectly represents what I was saying with my last post that the softer side of Radiohead came out in this playlist. That song in particular as it reminded me of the great movie I watched last year - After Life.

#25-21:

BODYSNATCHERS
I MIGHT BE WRONG
LOTUS FLOWER
SULK
WEIRD FISHES/ARPEGGI

We have another handful of mostly rockers here. I did seem to gravitate to more electronic songs from them then I thought I would if you asked before I started this. Lotus Flower represents that. I hinted that an album got shut out of this countdown, and the surprise might have been that it wasn't King of Limbs and in fact there are 2 more coming from that album which honestly was the biggest surprise for me while doing this.

My leftover list. I really wish I'd thought of Sting solo and found room for Yes and Dave Edmunds.

Yes - It Can Happen, Leave It
Doctor Who Theme (there is quite a bit of good music from the new series)
**** (slang for rooster) Sparrer - Take Em All, England Belongs to Me
Splodgenessabounds - Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, Two Little Boys
Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Boom Boom Satellite, Love Missile F1-11
Arcadia - Election Day
Killing Joke - The Wait
Sting - Why Should I Cry For You
Danielle Dax - Cathouse
Freur - Doot Doot
Leftfield - Afrika Shox
Rez - Underworld
Peter Gabriel - My Body Is A Cage
Climax Blues Band - I Love You
Alison Moyet/Yazoo - Baby I Do/Only You
Dave Edmunds - Slipping Away, Information

#20-16:

THERE, THERE
DECKS DARK
TALK SHOW HOST
PACKT LIKE SARDINES IN A CRUSHD TIN BOX
PARANOID ANDROID

With this list, those who know Radiohead know what album got the X as there are 3 new albums with songs here. I think the surprise from the masses is probably Android this low and the surprise for me was that Sardines is on the list, and this high. That song and one coming up in the next wave were the biggest song surprises for me as I just moved stuff as I reacted to what I was listening to. I liked their electronic side during this adventure. Android is a staple, maybe their "best" song or most representative of them, but it's never been a personal favorite, and that's what this list is supposed to be.

#20-16:

THERE, THERE
DECKS DARK
TALK SHOW HOST
PARANOID ANDROID

With this list, those who know Radiohead know what album got the X as there are 3 new albums with songs here. I think the surprise from the masses is probably Android this low and the surprise for me was that Sardines is on the list, and this high. That song and one coming up in the next wave were the biggest song surprises for me as I just moved stuff as I reacted to what I was listening to. I liked their electronic side during this adventure. Android is a staple, maybe their "best" song or most representative of them, but it's never been a personal favorite, and that's what this list is supposed to be.
Interesting. I don't know much about how fans think of RH songs but I thought Talk Show Host and especially Paranoid Android were rather beloved songs. I definitely expected PA to be top 10.

#20-16:

THERE, THERE
DECKS DARK
TALK SHOW HOST
PARANOID ANDROID

Interesting. I don't know much about how fans think of RH songs but I thought Talk Show Host and especially Paranoid Android were rather beloved songs. I definitely expected PA to be top 10.
They are. It's also the deceptive thing about rankings like this, and we deal with this with our movie rankings. This is basically me deciding between a song I'd rate a 9.3 and a song I'd give a 9.5 to. I absolutely love all these songs, but something has to lose out. Talk Show Host is probably their most "known" B-side because of Romeo+Juliet and being all over when that came out. Like I said, Android is probably their best/most representative song, it's just never hit that emotional spot for me to have it at the top.

#15-11:

BULLET PROOF .... I WISH I WAS
SEPARATOR
LET DOWN
FAKE PLASTIC TREES
IDENTIKIT

Separator was by far the biggest surprise for me on this list. I kept gravitating to King Of Limbs more than I expected and this one kept climbing higher and higher. Every time it came on, I was nodding along, dancing, and I found myself looking forward to it coming up in the shuffle. I think Let Down was one of the most popular of their songs in this countdown. One of my favorite specific live performances of songs that I suggest is THIS LIVE VERSION of Fake Plastic Trees. It's one of my favorite songs to see them do live. I love the build up to the Johnny guitar freak out at about the 3min mark. :wub:

One of the things that I noticed about the top 10 is that for not being a lyric guy I think all the songs had that line or two that I can't shake. I will try to highlight some of those and blab a little about each of my favorite 10.

#10 - ALL I NEED

I'm an animal
Trapped in your hot car

A lovely sounding song that seems to bring back some of the same feelings ol' Thom was getting at with Creep. To me this song sounds like Thom still thinks of himself as the creepy little dude not worthy of what he is seeking.

#9 - STREET SPIRIT (FADE OUT)

Immerse your soul in love

One of the two songs that played a role in my wedding. Radiohead has long been a connection for Mrs. KP and I, and it's probably the only band we would each have in our top 5. We used this quote on some of the things we had done up for the day - glasses, bookmarks for table settings, etc.. Absolutely haunting song that closes out my favorite Radiohead album with a bang.

Last edited:
I also neglected over the past couple of days to thank our spreadsheet guru @falguy and our playlist guru @Hawks64 . Both of them go above and beyond in so many ways - falguy, for instance, putting together a lot of extra ways to view the data, and Hawks coordinating both with me and with Dr. O to get playlists done in advance when he might not be available on a particular day. :heart: to you guys.
You have been the absolute best here, going way above and beyond....I'm just trying to help and contribute in a small way.

And man has it been a reeaaaaallllllllllyyyyyy long 10 days :lmao: The best music, and honestly, vacation experience of my life. We were picked for pit and were about 4 people deep from the stage on night 2 (I'll toss some videos on youtube if anyone is interested). Just got home late last night and am digging out.

#8 - MORNING BELL

Howling down the chimney
Release me

Simply a song about divorce or a more elaborate tie-in to the themes and songs of Kid A? I have 0 clue. Like I was talking about with Fake Plastic Trees, I also love the build up and Jonny noodling around in the background. This is also a song I love live for a similar reason to Fake Plastic Trees - the buildup to the Jonny guitar freak out.

#7 - AIRBAG

In a deep, deep sleep of the
innocent
I am born again

Here we have a perfect album opener to the themes and music of OK Computer. Another thing I noticed during my relistens was that a lot of the top 10s had songs that I found myself air drumming to. Phil doesn't get a lot of love, and I don't think about him much honestly, but I really dig the drumming on this one.

Perfect little pair here of 2 that hit me hard for whatever reason, but I'm not sure they would be high on many lists. These two were in strong consideration for my pick in the UK draft.

#6 - LIFT

Today is he first day
of the rest of your days

An odd little tune that wasn't available for the longest time. Just a B-side that was played a few times that became what might be my most watched youtube video HERE from a concert in the 90s. WTF you wearing there, Thom?? It was finally recorded and released on OKNOTOK release for the 20th anniversary of OK Computer. It made me love the song even more as it was better musically than I imagine - I just love the guitars in the right ear around the :50 mark.

#5 - CODEX

Slide your hand
Jump off the end
The water's clear and innocent

I have few words for this song - it's like a gut punch every time I listen to it, and I can't think of a song that makes me have this visceral of a reaction. It is rare that I can make it through the whole thing without tearing up if not downright crying. It makes me feel extremely sad, calm, and hopeful all at the same time. This reaction is why I don't listen to it more, and it's probably an indication that even this ranking might be too low.

#4 - TRUE LOVE WAITS (LIVE EARLY VERSION!!)

And true love waits
in haunted attics

Odd song choice for it, and we did get some odd looks, but this was our wedding song, and the song title is engraved in our rings as a reminder. Probably not quite what this song is about, but it took on it's own meaning for us, and that's enough. I am specific about the version though - I really don't like the version recorded for Moon Shaped Pool. I guess this version became too much of "ours" and I wanted to keep it that way.

#3 - BLACK STAR

I keep falling over, I keep
passing out
When I see a face like you

I have just always loved the emotion and the odd descriptions Thom uses for feelings we've had in relationships or the winding down of a relationship. The pure hyperbole used here is why I like it, becuase that's how it feels when you are going through it - like the Earth's ending.

HERE IS THE PLAYLIST for anybody that might want to give this list a spin.

#2 - SUBTERRANEAN HOMESICK ALIEN

Up above
Aliens hover
Making home movies
for the folks back home

This has been my favorite song from OK Computer for as long as I can remember. It's also another that I can't stop myself from air drumming to - I love what Phil is doing here. Along with my U2 pick from the draft, this is one at the start of my playlist I use when I am hiking as I just love the tone of for that sort of activity. We are weird little creatures who lock up our spirits.

#1 - PYRAMID SONG

And we all went to heaven in
a little row boat

Big shocker here!! I didn't comment on it during our countdown, but this song and Codex were the ones that I refer when talking about my favorite songs coming from (what I thought) were my least favorite albums of theirs. I guess that is not the case, as 3 songs from those albums made it on, but 0 from Pablo and 1 from Hail to the Thief. I think this has been my favorite song of theirs since the first time I heard it on some live bootlegs before the albums came out. I used to joke to my wife that this is my funeral song, but I don't think that's a joke - it perfectly captures my feelings on what I hope the afterlife would be like. It's odd that a pesimistic little dude like Thom is able to fill me with so much peace, comfort, and hopefulness with some of his songs.

Up above
Aliens hover
Making home movies
for the folks back home

This has been my favorite song from OK Computer for as long as I can remember. It's also another that I can't stop myself from air drumming to - I love what Phil is doing here. Along with my U2 pick from the draft, this is one at the start of my playlist I use when I am hiking as I just love the tone of for that sort of activity. We are weird little creatures who lock up our spirits.

#1 - PYRAMID SONG

a little row boat

Big shocker here!! I didn't comment on it during our countdown, but this song and Codex were the ones that I refer when talking about my favorite songs coming from (what I thought) were my least favorite albums of theirs. I guess that is not the case, as 3 songs from those albums made it on, but 0 from Pablo and 1 from Hail to the Thief. I think this has been my favorite song of theirs since the first time I heard it on some live bootlegs before the albums came out. I used to joke to my wife that this is my funeral song, but I don't think that's a joke - it perfectly captures my feelings on what I hope the afterlife would be like. It's odd that a pesimistic little dude like Thom is able to fill me with so much peace, comfort, and hopefulness with some of his songs.

My plan for tomorrow: listen to the playlist and after each song or group of songs, read KP's write-up. This should be fun - thanks for it!

Up above
Aliens hover
Making home movies
for the folks back home

#1 - PYRAMID SONG

a little row boat

My plan for tomorrow: listen to the playlist and after each song or group of songs, read KP's write-up. This should be fun - thanks for it!
:scared: ;)

I actually made it through the top 18 today:eek:
Added 2 more songs to my RH playlist bringing it up to 5. I have Lift as a maybe and will try to finish listening to the rest Monday or Tuesday if the bleeding has stopped by then.
I was going to text, but I will just post my reply here - I am just glad a non-RH fan was willing to listen, and more impressively they found 2-ish sounds they liked. I can't ask for more than that - thanks for giving it an honest listen.

However, don't send me the bill for your bleeding ears. I take 0 responsibility for that. :lol:

Oh, I like a lot of Radiohead. Haven't listened much in several years, but this will be a pleasant reminder for me.
I know. I was mostly joking. I get gun shy with posting lists and playlists because somebody might :gasp: actually listen to it. :lol: That's more where the scared part came in. RW has given me confidence - if a non-fan can get a couple tunes out of it, I think anybody who likes them will like the playlist and maybe find song they hadn't heard before.

@KarmaPolice playlist is firing up
I hope you enjoy!
I am home sick, so I was thinking about firing up a movie.
So far so good- though if I ranked them Pyramid Song would be nowhere near the top. Hope you feel better. I've been watching a bunch of stuff as I am on day 3 of Ice Storm/School has no power.
Odd choice for a favorite song I admit.

ETA: and :shock: to the bolded. I hope all is well there. You must have gotten the same stuff we got at the start of the week?

Odd choice for a favorite song I admit.

ETA: and :shock: to the bolded. I hope all is well there. You must have gotten the same stuff we got at the start of the week?
The storm wasn't that bad. I thankfully never lost power. I have a lot of branches in my backyard but they all missed my power lines. Lots of outages in the area though.

I had some stuff to do so am finishing the playlist now but here are some highlights for me so far:

Sub Alien Homesick Blues- duh, this has always been a favorite of mine and I get why it's ranked at the 2 spot for you

Black Star- same as above

Lift- More arena rock than I remember OK Computer being and I really dug it. Sounds like Smashing Pumpkins.

Airbag- yeah I need to give OK Computer another listen because this is all so good, bringing back memories

Street Spirit
- this was my back-up choice if I hadn't taken The Bends for the UK draft

Identikit- first song that popped for me that wasn't from TB, OKC,KA, What album is this?

One of the cool things about these exercises is the "new to me music." I came across these guys when I was researching. They've been on consistent rotation since.....the last link is from their acoustic album that I really like.

https://youtu.be/d8uXV9hyJ4c

https://youtu.be/xEFBvI9pEng

Users who are viewing this thread