What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Odd choice for a favorite song I admit.

ETA: and :shock: to the bolded. I hope all is well there. You must have gotten the same stuff we got at the start of the week?
The storm wasn't that bad. I thankfully never lost power. I have a lot of branches in my backyard but they all missed my power lines. Lots of outages in the area though.

I had some stuff to do so am finishing the playlist now but here are some highlights for me so far:

Sub Alien Homesick Blues- duh, this has always been a favorite of mine and I get why it's ranked at the 2 spot for you

Black Star- same as above

Lift- More arena rock than I remember OK Computer being and I really dug it. Sounds like Smashing Pumpkins.

Airbag- yeah I need to give OK Computer another listen because this is all so good, bringing back memories

Street Spirit- this was my back-up choice if I hadn't taken The Bends for the UK draft

Identikit- first song that popped for me that wasn't from TB, OKC,KA, What album is this?
That is off the newest one - A Moon Shaped Pool. IF I remember right, it was another b-side that was floating around for years that they finally put on an album along with True Love Waits at the end of the album.

One of the cool things about these exercises is the "new to me music." I came across these guys when I was researching. They've been on consistent rotation since.....the last link is from their acoustic album that I really like.

https://youtu.be/d8uXV9hyJ4c

https://youtu.be/xEFBvI9pEng

Nice! I have a couple of their songs in playlists, I think I found them through Spotify suggestions.

Finally listened to the #1 playlist today. Not much new to me, as you'd expect at this point, but I did add one more song (the Coldplay one) to my new-to-me playlist, bringing it to a total of 89 songs! I also had a few Pink Floyd songs that were new to me; of those, the one I enjoyed the most was "Dogs."

Thanks to everyone for the 89 new favorite songs!!

I didn't know Instant Karma was eligible; it definitely would've made my list.

I wouldn't have allowed it in this countdown. The song was the same but remixed, even though the crediting on the single was different in the US. The UK version was first and I would have considered the crediting there definitive. Not saying the idiots did it wrong, but just a different ruling than I would have made. So you didn't miss anything!

:goodposting:

Finally listened to the #1 playlist today. Not much new to me, as you'd expect at this point, but I did add one more song (the Coldplay one) to my new-to-me playlist, bringing it to a total of 89 songs! I also had a few Pink Floyd songs that were new to me; of those, the one I enjoyed the most was "Dogs."

Thanks to everyone for the 89 new favorite songs!!
:shock:

My favorite Killing Joke song (The Death and Resurrection Show) is ineligible because Dave Grohl awesomely plays drums on it.
Liz Allman Seccuro
@LizSeccuro

So, without telling anyone, Dave Grohl brought his giant smoker and cooked/fed barbecue and sides for 500 folks at Hope Mission in L.A. during the storms. Paid for it all. Worked 16 hours. So, when the aliens get here and ask “who’s in charge?”, I think we take them to Dave Grohl.
------------------
Jason Buhrmester@jbuhrmester
I was just about to say, "Gonna be a lot of guys in the comments asking to see the smoker." Thank you for providing photos!

>>> Picture
-----------
Sundance (2013) - Sound City Trailer - Documentary HD

A documentary on the fabled recording studio that was located in Van Nuys, California. Cast: Director: David Grohl

Cliff Richard
He wasn’t eligible surprisingly
Would you look at that...huh.

"Cliff Richard was born Harry Rodger Webb on 14 October 1940 at King George's Hospital (now KGMU Hospital), Victoria Street, in Lucknow, which was then part of British India."

The non-Brit/non-US countdown is going to be epic.

Attention Middle-Aged Dummies: Despite the interaction above, Cliff Richard would indeed have been eligible for the UK countdown, given that he was born to British parents in India. However, since at least one person has put him on their list on the worldwide countdown, I've let them know they can keep him if they want. It's up to the individual drafter(s) as to whether they want to face the scorn. :lol:

Cliff Richard
He wasn’t eligible surprisingly
Would you look at that...huh.

"Cliff Richard was born Harry Rodger Webb on 14 October 1940 at King George's Hospital (now KGMU Hospital), Victoria Street, in Lucknow, which was then part of British India."

The non-Brit/non-US countdown is going to be epic.

Attention Middle-Aged Dummies: Despite the interaction above, Cliff Richard would indeed have been eligible for the UK countdown, given that he was born to British parents in India. However, since at least one person has put him on their list on the worldwide countdown, I've let them know they can keep him if they want. It's up to the individual drafter(s) as to whether they want to face the scorn. :lol:

UPDATE: The person with Mr. Richard on their list has decided to omit him. So let's just make that the same for everyone. Down with Cliff Richard!

Cliff Richard was even mentioned in the new Dr Who.

"Rose Tyler and her mother, Jackie, watched Cliff Richard movies "every bank holiday Monday". Rose told the Tenth Doctor she picked up 1950s slang from these movies. The Doctor responded, somewhat derisively, "I knew your mum would be a Cliff fan." "

Would Cliff Richard fit in the Bryan Adams Corollary to the British parentage rule?
Do you think of Cliff Richard as Indian? I’m guessing no.
Honestly, I had never heard of him before this morning.
Wow! He’s huge! More of our parents’ generation, though.
Listening to his iTunes essential playlist now. Pretty good stuff.

Bryan Adams has apparently primarily lived in London (UK, not Ontario) since the 1990s. Link (Which blew my mind.)

Last edited:
Would Cliff Richard fit in the Bryan Adams Corollary to the British parentage rule?
Do you think of Cliff Richard as Indian? I’m guessing no.
Honestly, I had never heard of him before this morning.
Wow! He’s huge! More of our parents’ generation, though.
Listening to his iTunes essential playlist now. Pretty good stuff.

Bryan Adams has apparently primarily lived in London (UK, not Ontario) since the 1990s. Link (Which blew my mind.)
I meant he didn’t grow up there, but I wasn’t clear!

“Lay Down” is the only Strawbs song I love. I’ve tried to listen to some of their other stuff but couldn’t get into it. They were mostly thought of as a glam band but “Lay Down” is more of a British folky rock sort of thing which of course I adore.
I heard this today on the SiriusXM Deep Tracks channel. They played it in honor of the 76th birthday of keyboardist Blue Weaver (who was Rick Wakeman's replacement, and who went on to play with Bee Gees and The Pet Shop Boys, among others.)

“Lay Down” is the only Strawbs song I love. I’ve tried to listen to some of their other stuff but couldn’t get into it. They were mostly thought of as a glam band but “Lay Down” is more of a British folky rock sort of thing which of course I adore.
I heard this today on the SiriusXM Deep Tracks channel. They played it in honor of the 76th birthday of keyboardist Blue Weaver (who was Rick Wakeman's replacement, and who went on to play with Bee Gees and The Pet Shop Boys, among others.)

Are you still on free trial, or did you keep Sirius?

Are you still on free trial, or did you keep Sirius?
YOU DIDN'T READ ONE OF MY POSTS! :laugh:

As the free trial was expiring, they offered $5.99 per month for 1 year. My wife took them up on that and "gave" it to me for Christmas.

Fairport Convention just released a live version of their Full House album recorded at their Cropredy festival show in 2022. All surviving band members take part including Richard Thompson. Longtime member Chris Leslie replaces the late Dave Swarbrick.

They still sound great fifty years after the original album and their sound rooted in English Folk forms is timeless.

titusbramble:

Legacy – Mansun
(new artist)

I can't place whether I've heard this before, but :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :love:
Yeah, listening to this again, it's like they designed a song specifically to cater to all my tastes at once.
I would never, ever have expected that one of the catchiest melodies I've ever heard would go with these lyrics:

You see, reading novels is banned by the Marquis de Sade
All relationships are emptying and temporary

There's a new Rolling Stones tribute album out this week. Stoned Cold Country consists of fourteen Stones songs performed by (you guessed it) Country music artists.

It's pretty decent as tribute albums go. Nobody strays too far from the originals but the new versions emphasize the Stones' Country and Blues influences a little more. Steve Earle is there of course--the man has appeared on more tribute albums that anyone I can think of.

There's a new Rolling Stones tribute album out this week. Stoned Cold Country consists of fourteen Stones songs performed by (you guessed it) Country music artists.

It's pretty decent as tribute albums go. Nobody strays too far from the originals but the new versions emphasize the Stones' Country and Blues influences a little more. Steve Earle is there of course--the man has appeared on more tribute albums that anyone I can think of.

Good Lord.....Brooks & Dunn are still around?

Yep. They played the rodeo last week.

Yep. They played the rodeo last week.
They must have a good agent

Gave it a listen this morning. Most artists did a great job, and dare I say, some versions may even be better, objectively for me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread