What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (17 Viewers)

My mom got "well" enough to come home from the hospice yesterday. Which means she is now on home hospice care.

We don't know if she has weeks or months left. It sucks to even type this, but at this point I am just hoping whenever she goes she doesn't suffer too much.

At least she is pretty lucid (though gets a little sleepy and loopy from the pain meds now and again) and says she is very much at peace with her predicament. She is more worried about my dad and my relationship with my kids than she is with her impending death. 

She does have a bit of a short term memory issue right now, again probably due to being hopped up on vicodin so much of the time. She couldn't remember how many times I had seen her in the past several days, but she was recounting in all sorts of detailed anecdotes about John McCain's parents. Apparently everybody who was anybody in Navy and Marine Corps circles during the earlier part of the 20th century knew each others' business backward and forward. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom got "well" enough to come home from the hospice yesterday. Which means she is now on home hospice care.

We don't know if she has weeks or months left. It sucks to even type this, but at this point I am just hoping whenever she goes she doesn't suffer too much.

At least she is pretty lucid (though gets a little sleepy and loopy from the pain meds now and again) and says she is very much at peace with her predicament. She is more worried about my dad and my relationship with my kids than she is with her impending death. 

She does have a bit of a short term memory issue right now, again probably due to being hopped up on vicodin so much of the time. She couldn't remember how many times I had seen her in the past several days, but she was recounting in all sorts of detailed anecdotes about John McCain's parents. Apparently everybody who was anybody in Navy and Marine Corps circles during the earlier part of the 20th century knew each others' business backward and forward. :lol:
I'm really sorry to hear this.  Your mom and your family have my best wishes.  Just relish the time you have left.

Thanks guys. I am sure I will be wrecked when my mom passes, but right now I am doing okay. I have had several really nice visits with her recently.

Assuming she doesn't fade really quickly we are going to start going through her father's foot locker soon. Her dad was a Marine who was a legitimate war hero in at least three conflicts. She has all of his old correspondence and journals. I am certain it is an absolute treasure trove of history. He was killed in Okinawa about a month before the war ended and was the highest ranking Marine to die in WWII.

Years ago I thought I would eventually write a book about him. I don't know if that will happen now (I doubt it), but it would probably bring my mom a lot of pleasure to share her memories with me and it is something I would love to do for and with her.

Good luck, mayne.

ETA: good lord.  Autocorrect changed "mayne" to "maybe".

"Sorry about your mom...maybe."

Wife just spotted a 18 month old corgi at a shelter about an hour from here on the Humane Society website.

So if that little fella isn't gone by morning, it looks like we will have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 5 kids, an uncompleted house and no money. 

Yes, she cruises animal adoption websites in her spare time, I guess.

RedmondLonghorn said:
Thanks guys. I am sure I will be wrecked when my mom passes, but right now I am doing okay. I have had several really nice visits with her recently.

Assuming she doesn't fade really quickly we are going to start going through her father's foot locker soon. Her dad was a Marine who was a legitimate war hero in at least three conflicts. She has all of his old correspondence and journals. I am certain it is an absolute treasure trove of history. He was killed in Okinawa about a month before the war ended and was the highest ranking Marine to die in WWII.

Years ago I thought I would eventually write a book about him. I don't know if that will happen now (I doubt it), but it would probably bring my mom a lot of pleasure to share her memories with me and it is something I would love to do for and with her.
you already know this but spend as much time with her as you can recalling all those old stories :thumbup:  

Are outsiders allowed to participate in this thread? How do you catch up on 1500 pages?
1.  (optional) search the archive for the dead 5000+ page thread.  page 1 has an index of the best stories.   read those.   

a.  reply to any post and go from there

XI.  tell any amusing story you'd like

iv.   take shots whenever someone suggests a group shot.   or suggest one yourself

7.   tell Krista happy birthday

D.   don't ever discuss religion or politics

Certain people have certain specialties.   

K4:  purchasing houses; naan; birthdays; cavernous ######

GM:  netflix; food; procreation

BobbySac: occasional updates

Tre:   nothing

Frostillicious:  see Tre

Shuke:  food; Cincinatti; gout; PM's

El Floppo:  scarves

Redmond Longhorn:  frustrations in parenting; spending money on houses

Proninja:   bicycles; brain surgery

Henry:  law; sarcasm

Homer:  teenagers; sobriety; living vicariously through others

Pickles:  Iowa

Mr. Furley:  not posting videos

Uruk Hai:  insomnia; sleeping with spies

Rude:   keeping us from being banned

Tanner:   jeopardy; central california; boneless chicken wings

The rest of us are just drunk.

RedmondLonghorn said:

How old is she? Mine's 90. Watching her go is pretty painful. Long, slow, inevitable decline, while we wait with no hope but minimal pain for her. She met my Navy Dad at the end of w2 in Oakland

:kicksrock:

Also there is mucho deatho.

Tanner:   jeopardy; central california; boneless chicken wings tenders

I wish.  Haven't had a decent scotch in months.

Currently killing a 6 pack of Ballast Point watermelon IPA and trying to figure out a way to get the stripper to spend the weekend without having to buy her a birthday present.
If she's like any dancer I have ever met, then recreational drugs should do the trick....though I suppose that could be viewed as a birthday present.

My mom is 86, dad is almost 88.
My dad just turned 88 (the same age his dad died) and my mom is 84.   They live by themselves.  He's deaf and she's blind.  He still drives.  When he was 74 he got run over by a truck and broke almost every bone on the right side of his body and bruised his heart.  Coded on the operating table twice, and then once again in his hospital bed.  Took him a year and a half to be able to walk again.   I never had a good relationship with them, but I make sure they see my daughter a few times a year.  She's visiting them right now.  I wish things were different, but they were pretty ####ty, abusive parents.   I try not to hold it against them and to maintain a decent relationship.  It's very difficult.

I'd live in a shack of ketchup covered hotdogs, with ranch dressing laden pizza shingles to wake up and look down the shore in the 2nd pic. 
There's no view of that from the house.  It's a private beach that you have access to if you live in that community.   Same with the boat launch and the community building they show.

How old is she? Mine's 90. Watching her go is pretty painful. Long, slow, inevitable decline, while we wait with no hope but minimal pain for her. She met my Navy Dad at the end of w2 in Oakland
My mom tells a story about how they met when my dad was in the army before he shipped out to the korean war.  she says that they met at a bus stop when they were both on the way to a USO dance.  my dad has never told her, but he was really on the way to a poker game, saw this hot brunette at a bus stop, talked her up and went to the dance with her.  some of us kids know, but we all kept it quiet because why ruin the romantic story for her.  props to dad.

Users who are viewing this thread