What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (4 Viewers)

I am normally a very athletic and coordinated person, but sometimes when I am not paying attention I can do some really dorky things.  Today, for example, when I was eating fries at lunch I wasn't paying attention and was just shoveling them into my mouth.  Of course I was eating fast and mistook my finger for a fry and bit down hard.  It's been killing me for an hour now.

I am normally a very athletic and coordinated person, but sometimes when I am not paying attention I can do some really dorky things.  Today, for example, when I was eating fries at lunch I wasn't paying attention and was just shoveling them into my mouth.  Of course I was eating fast and mistook my finger for a fry and bit down hard.  It's been killing me for an hour now.
ketchup?

eta: and btw- love the association between athleticism and eating fries. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had this beach house that I've been designing in my head, shower and sketches for 20+ years. hell- even more... pretty much since HS. 

just saw it fairly and shockingly identically and unfortunately actually built in an online magazine just now.  mine is a little more wonky/blobby shaped- not a pure rectangle- and also seemingly structured differently... but the overall idea and some of the details (like the stair suspended on cables rising up into it like a space-ship or ship-ship... dammit) are dead-on. 

I feel like marc maron in Glow when he's describing his own 25+ year dream film project about an oedipal kid who tries to get over it by going forward in time so that his mom is an old lady and he won't want to have sex with her... except he goes back in time when his mom is a nympho teenager. the guys he's talking to say- yeah, just like back to the future. and then he starts with the drugs and drink. 

I've got an airplane sized tequila in my desk, and don't really want to sleep with my mom. but dammit.

I've had this beach house that I've been designing in my head, shower and sketches for 20+ years. hell- even more... pretty much since HS. 

just saw it fairly and shockingly identically and unfortunately actually built in an online magazine just now.  mine is a little more wonky/blobby shaped- not a pure rectangle- and also seemingly structured differently... but the overall idea and some of the details (like the stair suspended on cables rising up into it like a space-ship or ship-ship... dammit) are dead-on. 

I feel like marc maron in Glow when he's describing his own 25+ year dream film project about an oedipal kid who tries to get over it by going forward in time so that his mom is an old lady and he won't want to have sex with her... except he goes back in time when his mom is a nympho teenager. the guys he's talking to say- yeah, just like back to the future. and then he starts with the drugs and drink. 

I've got an airplane sized tequila in my desk, and don't really want to sleep with my mom. but dammit.
That is an awesome house.

The view from the back(?) reminds me a little of the Farnsworth house.

Beautiful house, but that website sucks.  At least on my computer, 2/3 of the screen was taken up by the menu at the top and the bottom.  Couldn't see any of the picks in full because of it.

That is an awesome house.

The view from the back(?) reminds me a little of the Farnsworth house.
First pic reminds me more of the Stahl House.
both goodies... but with the lightweight steel frame construction. this one appears to be cast in place board-formed concrete which makes it much different for me. my own version would use glue-lam wood trusses on concrete pier and base (same as this one) with wood plank siding (like a boat) that is more closed off to the back and then opens up to lots of glass and decks on the water side. mine also looks a little like the state of OK from the side, so that there's a double height main space with bedrooms up to the left. the stair would come in from under that section.

both goodies... but with the lightweight steel frame construction. this one appears to be cast in place board-formed concrete which makes it much different for me. my own version would use glue-lam wood trusses on concrete pier and base (same as this one) with wood plank siding (like a boat) that is more closed off to the back and then opens up to lots of glass and decks on the water side. mine also looks a little like the state of OK from the side, so that there's a double height main space with bedrooms up to the left. the stair would come in from under that section.
Meh..it's no Lovell house.

I was just talking about an overall impression.

Clearly I don't have the eye for architectural detail that an actual member of the Scarf and Trendy Glasses Fraternity does. I am just a guy that sinks huge money into remodel projects of questionable legality and wisdom.

:shrug:  love it 

Huge MCM fan.  My aunt and uncle owned a couple of Eichlers in the San Mateo highlands. 
IIRC there was a small outpost of eichlers in marin... a gb's girlfriend/wife grew up in one- beautiful, and everything modern architecture aspires to do, and for (originally) not much money. now they're iconic and $$. 

I was and am still a fan of international style and later mcm styles that followed suit like the eichlers and case-study houses. worked at one place that did their own version of modernism which I loved. now I'm doing mostly traditional styles, which puts food in my kids bellies and fidget spinners on their fingers. but that beach house was a like a soul-crushing dagger for me just now... of everything I'm NOT doing with my work. :(  

IIRC there was a small outpost of eichlers in marin... a gb's girlfriend/wife grew up in one- beautiful, and everything modern architecture aspires to do, and for (originally) not much money. now they're iconic and $$. 

I was and am still a fan of international style and later mcm styles that followed suit like the eichlers and case-study houses. worked at one place that did their own version of modernism which I loved. now I'm doing mostly traditional styles, which puts food in my kids bellies and fidget spinners on their fingers. but that beach house was a like a soul-crushing dagger for me just now... of everything I'm NOT doing with my work. :(  
More than a small oupost, there are entire communities

I think Julia's is a little creamer and sauteeing in butter with shallots a bit better than steaming with aromatics. 
I actually replace the 1/2 onion with a large shallot and can take or leave the aromatics - but I like the edge the Pepin recipe has.  A little iron is nice on a fresh baguette.

He's ridiculous.

I just recently got obsessed with Gordon Ramsay's scrambled eggs, and I can't eat scrambled eggs any other way anymore.  Chefs are awesome.
Use the Ramsay method, but for the egg mixture, whip the whites until frothy, whip the yolks until color changes, then fold together and cook a la Ramsay

He's ridiculous.

I just recently got obsessed with Gordon Ramsay's scrambled eggs, and I can't eat scrambled eggs any other way anymore.  Chefs are awesome.
just googled... butter and low heat? do you do the creme fraiche? without, it's how my mom has always made scrambled eggs. my kids could eat her version for breakfast lunch and dinner. I swear I do the exact same but they want nothing to do with it.

Use the Ramsay method, but for the egg mixture, whip the whites until frothy, whip the yolks until color changes, then fold together and cook a la Ramsay

just googled... butter and low heat? do you do the creme fraiche? without, it's how my mom has always made scrambled eggs. my kids could eat her version for breakfast lunch and dinner. I swear I do the exact same but they want nothing to do with it.
ah... looks like I missed something in my googling.

Yeah that blows.

One of the thinks I've been getting into recently is the late 70s/early 80s minimalist/MCM revival (not sure what it's really called). We went through a building boom around that time and there are some very under-the-radar structures nearby.

https://images1.apartments.com/i2/_oWMhnInfRnAH-frNiIIL7v8wPu1axVz0TOit0ivHGQ/117/mesa-creek-apartments-bakersfield-ca-foto-del-edificio.jpg

http://cdn.homes.com/cgi-bin/readimage/4196948003/3100-ashe-rd-bakersfield-ca-93309-10.jpg

https://images1.apartments.com/i2/UAPiE7H1iAkowL5JveLUXnue-tt3l53JGOyOVYX0Aw0/117/creekside-apartment-homes-bakersfield-ca-building-photo.jpg

Did you watch the demonstration?  The eggs are (consistency wise) nothing I've ever had before.  Spectacular.

I can take or leave the creme fraiche.  

Yeah that blows.

One of the thinks I've been getting into recently is the late 70s/early 80s minimalist/MCM revival (not sure what it's really called). We went through a building boom around that time and there are some very under-the-radar structures nearby.

https://images1.apartments.com/i2/_oWMhnInfRnAH-frNiIIL7v8wPu1axVz0TOit0ivHGQ/117/mesa-creek-apartments-bakersfield-ca-foto-del-edificio.jpg

http://cdn.homes.com/cgi-bin/readimage/4196948003/3100-ashe-rd-bakersfield-ca-93309-10.jpg

https://images1.apartments.com/i2/UAPiE7H1iAkowL5JveLUXnue-tt3l53JGOyOVYX0Aw0/117/creekside-apartment-homes-bakersfield-ca-building-photo.jpg
Not a fan of the bottom ones. Those just look like every apartment building/condo community from that time period to me.

The adobe looking ones are more interesting.

Yeah that blows.

cool. same era, and style, this guy was a family friend and the reason I'm an architect and living in NYC.

Don designed my dad's office early in his career and then built a lot of sausalito in the years' following. grew up with his kids and in a small town, was just a general presence. I was stuck between going to stanford or CU- undecided the day the decision was due. stayed home from school to look over some more things... went out to the street for some reason, and Don was walking by, IIRC to review a potential project on the street. asked him for his advice and he came inside for an hour, looking over the two programs. left with me with no choice but to go to CU (no architecture program at stanford, even though the coach had been at my house the night before for dinner to try to convince me I didn't need one). 

wait. now that I think of it, #### that Don guy. I could've gone to stanford and graduated right into the internet boom with a degree in mechanical engineering (the closest thing they had to architecture). I'd have traded the scarves for tevas and lack of debt. 

Did you watch the demonstration?  The eggs are (consistency wise) nothing I've ever had before.  Spectacular.

I can take or leave the creme fraiche.  
no- I just found some recipe that said "gordon ramsey's scrambled eggs". 

yeah- it's the consistency... my mom's eggs are always soft and kinda mushy. never lets it set on the bottom of the pan long enough to firm completely up.

Wouldn't have happened if you were using chopsticks.

Users who are viewing this thread