What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's thread about nothing (8 Viewers)

Is that Frank Lloyd house in Marin the Civic Center? Because that's the only. #### it. :nerd:
I went to his house and studio in Oak Park today. Took the tour.
Is that Frank Lloyd house in Marin the Civic Center? Because that's the only. #### it. :nerd:
Robie house? Or FLWs house?
FLW house. The one he built for his family early on. Then added onto it.

Cool. I know nothing about it... how was it?

Cool. I know nothing about it... how was it?
Definitely interesting. It was the house he built and moved into and lived in for 10 years before he really took off in his career. Going from the front room through to the additions and eventually his studio was like walking through 10 years of his aesthetic developing over time. There were some very classical elements in the beginning stages of the home that completely disappeared by the end.I would imagine that touring some of his projects where he designed the homes from start to finish would give you a better understanding of his authentic at any given period of time where as this felt like a hodgepodge of different ideas and attempts to find himself.

The home felt a bit like a maze because probably 70% of it was not envisioned when he first design the property.

Last edited by a moderator:
For you, my boozy friends.

Link
I've meant to ask in the lawyer thread, but the people in here are probably just as knowledgeable on this: everyone always says that, if you've had even one drink, under no circumstances should you do the breathalyzer. Always refuse, always refuse. Why is this? Many (most? all?) states have laws that if you don't do it, you automatically lose your license for some period of time. Why is it better to do that?

TIA, YIC, k4
Let's talk

bentley said:
YSR said:
GM, have you read The Outliers? We have two summer babies and Romo has (of course) been reading it and finds it really interesting. Not sure where he/we will come out at the end.
I have. While I think Malcolm Gladwell generally sucks, we are probably going to hold both of our boys back because they're summer babies. There's a ton of that going on in Texas for althletic reasons but we are looking at it from a social maturity perspective.
Haven't read...is there Cliffs Notes?

No regrets enrolling Coop at an earlier grade level, but he's a golden retriever socially and can hold his own in the 5th grade classroom. School doesn't come as easy to him as it does Kellen but Kellen has a fraction of the social opportunities.

None of my stock is destined for athletic greatness, but Coop has benefitted greatly from playing up a level or two instead of playing against kids who are in 4th grade now.

God, I'm going to have 4 summer babies. FML...send me the book!

Hazel is smarter than Kellen and a better athlete than Cooper. She's also got the personality of my ex-wife. :mellow:

FWIW, as a teacher I would err on the side of caution when it comes to enrolling your kid later than sooner.

And at the risk of generalization I would say that waiting a year is much more important when it comes to boys.

Mexican lasagna prepped for baking later. So easy...so good.
I doubt it would get you banned if you shared the recipe
If it's what I think it is, I used to cook this quite a bit when the boys were younger.

End of an era today. Glorious (relatively speaking) 8 day run.

Hired a cleaning lady today. :flex: Not a euphemism.

One of the highlights of my week was 'discovering' The War On Drugs. Pretty proud of myself for staying within a couple years of the curve.
Fantastic band. One of the better discoveries in a long time. If you don't have a copy of Wagonwheel Blues, let me know and I'll pass it along. Not their best album, but my favorite song is on there - "Arms Like Boulders". Heavily inspired by Bob Dylan.

Though you're probably all dialed in to Spotify, so no need for me to send anything. Also, check out Kurt Vile, who was an original member of the band but has had a long running solo career too. He's awesome.
Definitely. I actually thought Spotify had screwed up and switched me over to the "radio of artists like this" mode.

Its kind of refreshing to find #### other GMTANers like. My typical discoveries of the last few years (The Lone Below, Hurray for the Riff Raff, St Paul & the Broken Bones) don't seem to resonate with the FFA. Not including Alabama Shakes in that group as I presume everybody loves me some Brittany.
Love those guys

Wait this is a real thing on this site

Random Joe is an algorithm that attempts to mimic blurbs from Joe Bryant's weekly Random Shots column. It is a complete and total waste of time, but you may enjoy it.

Joe says*:

I love high definition tv and sunday he threw the ball, they almost always a theory with this team in the face, huston said about the buccaneer's quarterback shuffling, chris simms and aaron brooks, why would you rather have a samsung tv in quite a bit further: he's been battling cancer. he looked right into the back every time espn's paul maguire says some version of blue that matches with silver. the only time i've ever seen a fire alarm at a sobriety checkpoint in suburban cincinnati and charged with dui. thurman told police he was bent backwards before the two. don't get it.

Fwiw, redshirting your kids apparently isn't allowed in NYC I'm public schools.
Yeah and they totally screw Oct, Nov, and Dec birth dates. Unlike the rest of the country and NY private schools, the stupid public schools have a Dec 31 cutoff. Only problem, all the preschools are on the private school calendar. So you little Sammyinho will get to start kindergarten a month away from his 5th birthday. Fun.

This doesn't even get into the fact that the first grade class he's suppose to be going into has a class size of 32.

Joe says*:

I love high definition tv and sunday he threw the ball, they almost always a theory with this team in the face, huston said about the buccaneer's quarterback shuffling, chris simms and aaron brooks, why would you rather have a samsung tv in quite a bit further: he's been battling cancer. he looked right into the back every time espn's paul maguire says some version of blue that matches with silver. the only time i've ever seen a fire alarm at a sobriety checkpoint in suburban cincinnati and charged with dui. thurman told police he was bent backwards before the two. don't get it.
Drinen's Markov Chain algorithm needs a little work.

Fwiw, redshirting your kids apparently isn't allowed in NYC I'm public schools.
Yeah and they totally screw Oct, Nov, and Dec birth dates. Unlike the rest of the country and NY private schools, the stupid public schools have a Dec 31 cutoff. Only problem, all the preschools are on the private school calendar. So you little Sammyinho will get to start kindergarten a month away from his 5th birthday. Fun.

This doesn't even get into the fact that the first grade class he's suppose to be going into has a class size of 32.
2 of Floppinho's 2nd grade buddies have birthdays about 2 weeks apart- end of Dec and beginning of Jan. one kid turned 7 and the other 8, right around the same time. it's crazy- especially with the preschools not using the same calendar... but I wonder if that will change as the continue to figure out universal pre-K. we've got pre-ks popping up everywhere in the neighborhood, at all the previously private day-care/pre-ks.

did yours get into a G&T? or not yet taken the test?

so far at two schools we've been a part of, I've seen that the biggest difference in the classes is that the G&T kids are better prepared to sit still and listen than the gen-ed kids. that makes the 32 kids easier for the single teacher to handle. less chaos was the only reason we went that route.

And I got a bigger Dire Straits vibe from War on Drugs than Dylan.
War on Drug is a veritable Cobb salad of derivative works. I hear all kinds of ripped off stuff in there.
My take on The War On Drugs
It has to be Lost in The Dream by The War On Drugs, right? Has been on repeat for me for several months now.

link to album
Just listened to this. Have Slave Ambient and like it.This is much of the same. Good for a song or two, but gets very repetitive. It's like the band has no ability to change tempo in the midst of a song. The drummer might as well be, and is likely, a drum machine.

After a while, it becomes soulless
It really is the ginger of current rock.

When BL posted that he discovered War on Drugs I thought he got busted for buying weed in Washington Square Park.
this just brought me back to a memory of my first day in NYC.

Sep, 1986- rolled into my freshman dorm-room (same block as Tom's Diner from Seinfeld) and immediately became buddies with my neighbor who was a nerdy kid from KC. instead of doing freshman orientation stuff on campus, we decided to go downtown to the "village" (had no meaning at all to me at the time), walk around and see if we could find the Blue Note (he was a big jazz fan).

we get off the subway at Christopher St, and literally bump into Andy Warhol at the top of the subway stairs, with excuse me's, eyes popping and HFSs. walked around a bit, grabbed a bite at one of the hot-dog diners (grey's papaya, IIRC) and finally stumble onto the Blue Note as it's turning into late afternoon. Deciding we'll see whoever's playing, however lame, we walk in to buy tickets as the band is doing their sound check; it's Dizzy Gillespie. We go back out with our standing room (sit at the bar) tickets, grab another cheap bite- falafel (it's a strange and mysterious meal that you've probably never heard of) and sit in washington sq park to eat before the early show.

before we've even unwrapped the food, we're accosted by the swarms of guys who used to hang in the park like pigeons... "smoke, smoke, smoke, coke, toke, smoke". my buddy- no matter how many times we were asked, and how many times I laughed at him- kept politely offering the guys a cigarette. "sure- here you go".

we wander back in to the blue note and sit about 15 feet away from Dizzy's cheeks. I wasn't even a jazz fan- but it was incredible. ride the subway back uptown with the "I'm from venus" sax player dressed in full alien garb with antenna who would make as much noise as possible before saying "but we don't know to play these things on venus- and I'll keep playing until somebody gives me some money". we were broke, but thankfully somebody gave him something

it was a good first day.

War on Drug is a veritable Cobb salad of derivative works. I hear all kinds of ripped off stuff in there.
It has to be Lost in The Dream by The War On Drugs, right? Has been on repeat for me for several months now.

link to album
Just listened to this. Have Slave Ambient and like it.This is much of the same. Good for a song or two, but gets very repetitive. It's like the band has no ability to change tempo in the midst of a song. The drummer might as well be, and is likely, a drum machine.

I agree with the first part. this one was the first of theirs that I had heard, and I really liked it the first week... but then... still ok- but didn't take me anywhere. all kind of blends to me, and good comment on the lack of tempo change.

link to album

I agree with the first part. this one was the first of theirs that I had heard, and I really liked it the first week... but then... still ok- but didn't take me anywhere. all kind of blends to me, and good comment on the lack of tempo change.
A song here or there is the perfect filler for a playlist. Anything more than that is just monotony

link to album

A song here or there is the perfect filler for a playlist. Anything more than that is just monotony
:goodposting:

I'll be honest- the Smiths were like this to me back in the day. each song good and worthwhile, which is commendable- but I got really tired hearing Morrisey's whining.

so far at two schools we've been a part of, I've seen that the biggest difference in the classes is that the G&T kids are better prepared to sit still and listen than the gen-ed kids. that makes the 32 kids easier for the single teacher to handle. less chaos was the only reason we went that route.
He's only 3 so he takes it next winter. I'm sort of ambivalent about the entire thing since the G&T programs on the UWS are really on the UWS while all the schools (87, 199, 452) around us are all regular program, but with all pushy UWS parents. Even if you are in 87 and 199's districts you aren't guaranteed to get in anymore. The entire thing is one big cluster#### with people renting apartments for the address so they can get in one of these 3 schools anyway.

Can a 2 year old develop lactose intolerance out of the blue? After drinking a #### load of milk for 2 years, all of a sudden he will puke it up the following morning.

He's only 3 so he takes it next winter. I'm sort of ambivalent about the entire thing since the G&T programs on the UWS are really on the UWS while all the schools (87, 199, 452) around us are all regular program, but with all pushy UWS parents. Even if you are in 87 and 199's districts you aren't guaranteed to get in anymore. The entire thing is one big cluster#### with people renting apartments for the address so they can get in one of these 3 schools anyway.
totally true.

people renting apartments- or, like us, faking our address to get us out of District 1 so our son could transfer out of the POS LES school he spent K in. I hated doing it, but have no regrets now- the kid deserved better than our crappy address can afford.

Crazy too- there's a whole industry built up around the damned test- people actually pay for tutors and classes to take it. makes my blood boil- especially seeing the people who are essentially private school familes in my son's classes at his new school. so now, people with money can even buy their way into the better FREE/public stuff. maybe I'm a hypocrite for cheating the system in my favor but being upset with wealthier people tilting it in theirs... just hate seeing the city have yet another wedge driven into it socio-econonmically.

Can a 2 year old develop lactose intolerance out of the blue? After drinking a #### load of milk for 2 years, all of a sudden he will puke it up the following morning.
any other symptoms? how long has he been doing this?

eta: as if any answer you give might affect how I completely fabricate whatever answer I give.

Last edited by a moderator:

eta: as if any answer you give might affect how I completely fabricate whatever answer I give.
Just last week, he puked a couple times and it looked like curdled milk so we stopped for a couple days and was fine. He had a couple ounces last night and puked again this morning.

Just last week, he puked a couple times and it looked like curdled milk so we stopped for a couple days and was fine. He had a couple ounces last night and puked again this morning.
Udderly ridiculous. Ours had a stage like that, but I think he was eating/drinking too much. Was it the same milk both times? Maybe something's up with the milk itself?

FWIW, as a teacher I would err on the side of caution when it comes to enrolling your kid later than sooner.

And at the risk of generalization I would say that waiting a year is much more important when it comes to boys.
Never understood starting them late. What is the gain? From my own experiences, people tend to keep their kids (boys) back in 8th grade due to sports. From what I've seen, it only helps in 8th grade because they are physically stronger and bigger, but it all catches up in high school. Also the public school will not let them repeat, so they go to the local catholic school for a second year of 8th grade, and then come back as freshman to the public high school.

Can you explain? Both points, really.
Better to be a little more mature than average than too immature. And boys are slower to mature than girls. Not when they are little, but when they are older, like tween years.

Udderly ridiculous. Ours had a stage like that, but I think he was eating/drinking too much. Was it the same milk both times? Maybe something's up with the milk itself?
yeah- I remember both of ours going this... I think them being sick was the underlying factor. neither continued to throw up on milk once healthy.

It's been the same brand of milk, but not from the same carton/gallon. Who knows, I think he's going to the Dr. today.

That Walking Dead thread is just the worst. I have no idea why I keep going in there.
No kidding.
so stop.

I still enjoy the stupid show and the stupid thread, apologists and antagonists aside. do you guys like the show at all?

but interesting to see the gay-phobia bubble up so immediately. by interesting, I mean.. disappointing and icky.
I enjoy the show, faults and all.

And I just came back to the board last week, so I am still assessing which threads totally suck and which ones don't, all the while trying to figure out if new names are new people or just another Furley alias.

That Walking Dead thread is just the worst. I have no idea why I keep going in there.
No kidding.
so stop.

I still enjoy the stupid show and the stupid thread, apologists and antagonists aside. do you guys like the show at all?

but interesting to see the gay-phobia bubble up so immediately. by interesting, I mean.. disappointing and icky.
I enjoy the show, faults and all.

And I just came back to the board last week, so I am still assessing which threads totally suck and which ones don't, all the while trying to figure out if new names are new people or just another Furley alias.
the WD thread is a complete mess. but the damned show provides enough legitimate and illegitimate questions for a couple of laughs and actual answers. APPLESAUCE!!!!!!

and Furley is gone. although probably worth another discussion in this thread. ask aaron. :oldunsure:

No kidding.
so stop.

Perhaps you missed the Oscar thread and/or the NBA thread.

Users who are viewing this thread