What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't all pumpkin pie vegan? I've never had one with meat in it.
Vegetarians do not eat meat, but might consume animal products like milk or eggs.

Vegans do not consume any animal products. Some pumpkin pie recipes might use eggs and butter in the crust and gelatin in the pie filling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always get them confused, she is the one that needs insulin. 
T1 is insulin dependent for life and generally occurs during childhood (but not always)  T2 can also require insulin therapy, but is generally brought on by poor diet, obesity, poor health, etc and can be corrected with behavioral corrections (weight loss, diet, exercise, quitting smoking, etc). 

So, that's like .1% if my math is correct?  How does that compare to the seasonal flu?
Am guessing that less than 100% of South Dakotan contract seasonal flu annually.  Also, most of the deaths occurred during the low season.  But by all means don't let any of that keep you from comparing this to the seasonal flu.  You be you.

Am guessing that less than 100% of South Dakotan contract seasonal flu annually.  Also, most of the deaths occurred during the low season.  But by all means don't let any of that keep you from comparing this to the seasonal flu.  You be you.
Huh?  Just looked it up - the seasonal flu kills .2% of South Dakotans.

I'm not sure why you're trying to be snarky about it.  I simply asked a question.

Huh?  Just looked it up - the seasonal flu kills .2% of South Dakotans.

I'm not sure why you're trying to be snarky about it.  I simply asked a question.
Because I am tired of schooling people like you on this virus.  That's why I am snarky.  So you are now contending that a virus that has a well documented mortality rate of .1%, annually kills .2% of South Dakotans?  Is that what you are claiming?  And to what do you attribute this outrageous run of bad luck that South Dakota should be SO much more susceptible to both contracting and succumbing to this seasonal virus than the rest of the US?

Please check your math, come back here and apologize when you have found the correct answer.  Until then I shall continue to fight nonsense with snark, because apparently cogent argument, math, and science are ill-suited to the task.

These are those pointless discussions I thought were over......does the % really matter if you don't know the total size of the group infected?  There has NEVER been a stat on the flu that I've seen that wasn't "% of those who get virus X".  So to be even slightly meaningful you'd have to know if it were 10s of thousands or thousands or what....in either sample.  Otherwise making the statement looks pretty dumb if/when someone goes and sees that 25,000 people had the flu and 75,000 had corona......BUT THE %!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are those pointless discussions I thought were over......does the % really matter if you don't know the total size of the group infected?  There has NEVER been a stat on the flu that I've seen that wasn't "% of those who get virus X".  So to be even slightly meaningful you'd have to know if it were 10s of thousands or thousands or what....in either sample.  Otherwise making the statement looks pretty dumb if/when someone goes and sees that 25,000 people had the flu and 75,000 had corona......BUT THE %!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I, too, thought we we were done with these.  Which is why I respond with such contempt for anyone who seeks to travel down this well-trodden path AGAIN.

Because I am tired of schooling people like you on this virus.  That's why I am snarky.  So you are now contending that a virus that has a well documented mortality rate of .1%, annually kills .2% of South Dakotans?  Is that what you are claiming?  And to what do you attribute this outrageous run of bad luck that South Dakota should be SO much more susceptible to both contracting and succumbing to this seasonal virus than the rest of the US?

Please check your math, come back here and apologize when you have found the correct answer.  Until then I shall continue to fight nonsense with snark, because apparently cogent argument, math, and science are ill-suited to the task.
Schooling? Who the hell are you? I got my number straight from the CDC.

You better take a step away from the high horse pal.  You might be able to get away with that with women and children but you ain't going to be able to get away with it with me.  I'll call you out everyday, all day and twice on Sunday.

I don't think you would be talking like that if I was standing in front of you. Let's pretend that I am so you can be civil about this. 

No more keyboard tough guy, all right?  I don't know you from Adam and the first thing you want to do is get into a pissing contest for what?  Can't you just be an adult about it and explain?

:lmao: Neat thread

Schooling? Who the hell are you? I got my number straight from the CDC.

You better take a step away from the high horse pal.  You might be able to get away with that with kids and women but you ain't going to be able to get away with it with me.  I'll call you out everyday, all day and twice on Sunday.

I don't think you would be talking like that if I was standing in front of you. Let's pretend that I am so you can be civil about this.  No more keyboard tough guy, all right?
You seem to be wrong...by the numbers  about the flu and even trying to compare them.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/783982-government-response-to-the-coronavirus/?do=findComment&comment=23107060

And the puffing your chest threat(in a way) that you finish seems to indicate its you being the internet tough guy...not him.

As of 2018 South Dakota has 245 flu/pneumonia deaths per 100,000 people: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/flu_pneumonia_mortality/flu_pneumonia.htm

Now, if my math is correct 245/100000 = .00245 = .245%.

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if I'm not reading that correctly.
It's not 245 deaths per 100,000. It was 245 deaths total. You should look at the chart more carefully. For example, California didn't have 7000 people per 100,000 dead. That would be ridiculous.  

Covid has killed 888 so far, or almost 4x the amount than influenza.

It's not 245 deaths per 100,000. It was 245 deaths total.

Covid has killed 888 so far, or almost 4x the amount.
Okay, so what does this mean at the bottom of page where it says

"1 The number of deaths per 100,000 total population."

Nice response. Sucks that all these people are dying and that it’s likely only getting worse. People don’t deserve this. 
What's your point?  I don't understand,

Are you saying that I don't care that people are dying?

As of 2018 South Dakota has 245 flu/pneumonia deaths per 100,000 people: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/flu_pneumonia_mortality/flu_pneumonia.htm

Now, if my math is correct 245/100000 = .00245 = .245%.

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if I'm not reading that correctly.
I haven’t read through the last few pages but one thing to note in your link is that these are “age adjusted” rates.  Thus, these numbers do not actually represent absolute numbers.  They’re intended to compare the severity of the disease between different states (After adjusting for age) as opposed to giving a sense of the true magnitude of disease within a given state.

That's for the map. Those are for the rates. Again, California doesn't have 7000 per 100,000 dying. In a state of 40M, that would be almost 3,000,000 dead from flu. 
Okay, so then I read it wrong.  I'm man enough to admit that.  :thumbup:

What I don't appreciate is some condescending jack-### coming in here with guns-a-blazing talking down to me like he's Mr. Really Important Smart Internet GuyTM.  Simply could have explained it as eloquently as you did. 

And for that, I thank you.  :)

I haven’t read through the last few pages but one thing to note in your link is that these are “age adjusted” rates.  Thus, these numbers do not actually represent absolute numbers.  They’re intended to compare the severity of the disease between different states (After adjusting for age) as opposed to giving a sense of the true magnitude of disease within a given state.
To add, if all states had an equivalent age distribution, these would be the death rates.

What I don't appreciate is some condescending jack-### coming in here with guns-a-blazing talking down to me.  Simply could have explained it as eloquently as you did. 

I agree.  I didn’t really think his post was appropriate.

What I don't appreciate is some condescending jack-### coming in here with guns-a-blazing talking down to me like he's Mr. Really Important Smart GuyTM.  Simply could have explained it as eloquently as you did. 

Hey, sorry about my smart@$$edness.  It's just that I have little patience for any comparisons of this to the seasonal flu.  That comparison is a bit of a lightning rod for me as it was put to bed a long time ago.  

Still, I could/should have been way cooler.

Thanks for recognizing your error.  I, too, am man enough to admit mine.

Okay, so what does this mean at the bottom of page where it says

"1 The number of deaths per 100,000 total population."
Are you looking on a phone? 

Eta: if yes download it. It is way easier to read then. My phone truncates a bunch unless i download.

The rate per 100k applies to the first column that on my phone doesnt even get a header. Whats even more confusing is if you multiply that rate by their population it doesnt give you the next column since the rate is an age adjusted rate, whereas the deaths are the actual total. 

Also that is not just flu. It is flu and pneumonia. Pneumonia kills way more annually than the flu. 

Eta: if yes download it. It is way easier to read then. My phone truncates a bunch. 

The rate per 100k applies to the first column that on my phome doesnt even get a header. Whats even more confusing is if you multiply that rate by their population ut doesnt give you the next column since the rate is an age adjusted rate, whereas the deaths are the actual total. 

Also that is not just flu. It is flu and pneumonia. Pneumonia kills way more annually than the flu. 
Yup I was looking on my phone and it was confusing.  I couldn’t see the full titles of the columns but I also didn’t spend much time with it.

Hey, sorry about my smart@$$edness.  It's just that I have little patience for any comparisons of this to the seasonal flu.  That comparison is a bit of a lightning rod for me as it was put to bed a long time ago.  

Still, I could/should have been way cooler.

Thanks for recognizing your error.  I, too, am man enough to admit mine.
Thank you and I apologize for getting heated as well.  It's all good now.  :)   🍻

Eta: if yes download it. It is way easier to read then. My phone truncates a bunch unless i download.

The rate per 100k applies to the first column that on my phone doesnt even get a header. Whats even more confusing is if you multiply that rate by their population it doesnt give you the next column since the rate is an age adjusted rate, whereas the deaths are the actual total. 

Yes, I was on my phone actually.  @gianmarco explained it to me and now I understand it.  I appreciate your helping me out in this too.

What was your point? 
Okay, c'mon now.  You responded to my post so the assumption is you knew what my point was.

Are you saying you responded to a post you had no idea what it meant but responded anyways?  So you did it to try and "get one in" on me?

Okay, c'mon now.  You responded to my post so the assumption is you knew what my point was.

Are you saying you responded to a post you had no idea what it meant but responded anyways?  That sounds like a troll, no?
Actually this all started when you responded to my post. 

Actually this all started when you responded to my post. 
Of course it did, but that's not what we're talking about here, right now.  You're throwing up smoke screens.

Did you respond to my post without knowing what I meant?  And if you didn't, then why didn't you just say "I don't know what you mean" instead of implying that I'm okay with people dying?

This is very frustrating. 

Of course it did, but that's not what we're talking about here, right now.  You're throwing up smoke screens.

Did you respond to my post without knowing what I meant?  And if you didn't, then why didn't you just say "I don't know what you mean" instead of implying that I'm okay with people dying?

This is very frustrating. 
I didn’t read all of this thread. I saw your reply to me. We will just part ways on what we agree on: this is very frustrating. 

So, that's like .1% if my math is correct.  How does that compare to the seasonal flu in South Dakota?
Covid-19 is the number one daily killer in the US, right now. Excluding bad pandemics (which occur once or twice a century), flu is never responsible for more deaths in a day than any other disease - heart attacks, lung cancer, car accidents, suicides, bacterial pneumonia, strokes, etc., etc. etc.

In an average year, flu kills about 35K Americans. That’s roughly 0.01% of our population. So Covid is ~10X as deadly as the average flu, worse than every strain of influenza for over a century.

But that doesn’t tell the whole story. Flu leads to ~200K hospitalizations in the US each year. 90,000 people are hospitalized with Covid-19 today, with a cumulative total over half a million. And covid patients stay in the hospital much longer than those with flu. 

Even if you aren’t hospitalized, covid can be bad. Over 90% of outpatients with influenza recover completely within 2 weeks. For covid, a subset of patients are “long-haulers”, with symptoms lasting 2+ weeks in about 1/3. It’s not clear if those people will suffer from permanent organ damage, but covid is certainly more debilitating than flu.

Hospitals don’t get overwhelmed with flu patients every year. They also don’t run out of PPE, ICU beds and ventilators from influenza. Or places in the morgue. And 1300+ healthcare workers don’t die from flu each year, as have already perished from covid-19. By comparison, 89 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty last year, and 80-260 healthcare workers die annually from work related infections.

I don’t know about S Dakota specifically, but believe me, covid is much worse than any flu we’ve seen in our lifetime. And it’s far from over, so please try to take it seriously, and listen to the guidance from public health officials.

EXCLUSIVE: Dr. Scott Atlas, President Trump’s special adviser on the coronavirus pandemic, formally resigned from his post on Monday, Fox News has learned.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dr-scott-atlas-resigns-special-adviser-trump-coronavirus
Over the summer, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield reportedly criticized Atlas, claiming that “everything he says is false.”
This is the guy with no experience with infectious disease that towed the Trump line of freedom over any responsibility. Good riddance. 

ETA

Stanford researchers say they won’t be silenced after criticizing Trump’s coronavirus advisor Dr. Scott Atlas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread