What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grade school "do over" (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
Remember how when there was a questionable play in grade school, the gym teacher or coach would call it a "do over?"
Maybe you and your buddies were arguing over a potential issue and you all decided on a "do over?"

How would you feel if the NFL did this rather than the refs having a debate and announcing their decision that we all could probably still question to this day like the Tuck Rule?
So only rarely...how would you feel if they had a "do over?"

Please think of whatever play you want, recent or historical.

Remember how when there was a questionable play in grade school, the gym teacher or coach would call it a "do over?"
Maybe you and your buddies were arguing over a potential issue and you all decided on a "do over?"

How would you feel if the NFL did this rather than the refs having a debate and announcing their decision that we all could probably still question to this day like the Tuck Rule?
So only rarely...how would you feel if they had a "do over?"

Please think of whatever play you want, recent or historical.
No

I just can't think of a situation where this would be applicable. The officials would have a ruling based on the rules and what they saw. I don't see where both teams would want a do over.

You're saying the teams would agree to a do-over play? I don't see that ever happening once even if it were allowed.
No refs decide
In that case, I feel like that's pretty much what a penalty is. Other than the penalty yardage tacked on.

But I guess maybe you're referring less to penalty situations, and more to "close calls"? Like, on a borderline catch/no catch? Just say, redo it? It seems like something most people would find silly, but I wouldn't exactly think so. But I don't quite think I'd want that.

I mean, this happens all the time on offsetting penalties.

But I don’t see a case for it to be called because the refs are foggy on a result.

Refs get together & make a call. Once in a while it’s a bad call. That’s football.

This proposal would be chaos.

Fumble for change of possession???

A do over in that case is a win for the offense.
Right. That's the problem. In most cases a do-over would benefit one team or the other. In fact, the example that Bri used in his initial post is the infamous tuck rule play, which was either a fumble or an incomplete pass. Calling a do-over and allowing the Patriots to run the play again and possibly completing a pass would be terrible and way more controversial than the play even was.

I see no way you can actually have a "do over" but I think the refs already have their "out" for calls that are too close to even determine on replay. Play stands as called.

Fumble for change of possession???

A do over in that case is a win for the offense.
This is true, but I don't see how this is a good or bad thing, regarding what @Bri is proposing. It would only affect the fumble play if it were some completely undecidable fumble/no fumble call. Also, I'm thinking the proposal would mean that -- say the offense completes a pass for 48 yards, and then the ball carrier has a way-too-close-to-call fumble situation -- that this play would become a total do-over too. Not necessarily a win for the offense or defense, just a win for "whoever the refs would have ruled against, had they been required to make a decision".

Just looking for opinions, discussion.
I'm sure either side could have had a set they didn't show and felt like they revealed it so a do over would take that away too.

I'm just frustrated that it's debatable in today's age.
In a Titans group, a guy transposed a protractor onto Dobbs arm (unnecessary because it was whether he had control which is so dumb or naive of a rule) and the protractor was really nothing Photoshop work but but BUT- why doesn't the NFL have something like that? There's 22 cameras IIRC so (showing us three views is expecting ignorance) what technology can you utilize with that? Green screen technology and green field, anything there? The XFL and usfl lines and RFID trackers and....c'mon billion dollar NFL, spend money on tech!

Like a jump ball.
I had a dream last night about this. Can't explain why with dreams of course but....NFL ref did a jump ball with two WRs and linemen were near. I think the tip was to go over them and they block buying time for a recovery? I don't know I don't remember anything else 😊 Fun thought though

It won't ever happen but I also don't think it is nearly as weird or chaotic as some describe. 4th down play, did he catch it or not? Impossible to get a clear decision from the replay so instead of being forced to make a call of 1st down or turnover on downs, a ref could replay 4th down. Makes about as much sense as the crap we have now.

Users who are viewing this thread