What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gravity (3D) (1 Viewer)

Just saw it today in imax 3d.....very good graphics. Not really my kind of movie, but very entertaining.

SHIZNITTTT said:
badmojo1006 said:
SHIZNITTTT said:
Can someone please tell me what the even liked about this movie? Seriously? Other than seeing Bullock in short shorts and that was for 5 minutes. Visual effects blah blah blah.
WHy do you go to movies? I am asking a serious question.
Usually to be entertained. Maybe all the hype before the movie lead me to believe I was going to see something very special. Instead it was a predictable movie with special effects. To each their own
It was more of a ride at Universal Studios than a movie. It was great ride but as a movie no so much. I still really enjoyed it for what it was though.

FreeBaGeL said:
No IMAX 3D showings here. Is it worth seeing in regular 3D? Seems like almost everyone in this thread who loved it saw it in IMAX, and the people that saw it in regular 3D were lukewarm on it.

ETA: Looks like I can drive an hour and spend cash to see it in IMAX 3D, or I can drive 5 minutes and use some gift cards I have lying around to see it in regular 3D. Does the IMAX make that big of a difference over regular 3D?
I saw it in regular 3D. It may have been better in IMAX but the trade off with IMAX is that the picture quality is worse.

SHIZNITTTT said:
badmojo1006 said:
SHIZNITTTT said:
Can someone please tell me what the even liked about this movie? Seriously? Other than seeing Bullock in short shorts and that was for 5 minutes. Visual effects blah blah blah.
WHy do you go to movies? I am asking a serious question.
Usually to be entertained. Maybe all the hype before the movie lead me to believe I was going to see something very special. Instead it was a predictable movie with special effects. To each their own
It was more of a ride at Universal Studios than a movie. It was great ride but as a movie no so much. I still really enjoyed it for what it was though.
Agreed. Really good but can't imagine wanting to watch this again at home. Apollo 13 on the other hand a movie I seem to watch every few years.

Very entertaining. Not really like any movie I can think of. Very tense, the movie just flew by. If you are interested in seeing it should see it in the theater.

Last edited by a moderator:
was annoying to listen to all the running commentary throughout the movie. just shut up and open the damn hatch!
:yes: I guess that's what you have to do when you have only 2 actors.

I saw it last night in IMAX 3D. It is a visually stunning movie.

However as a movie it's a little ridiculous in many parts. I mean, how many times are we going to run into the problem of!

Attacking Space Debris!!
The whole idea of the chain reaction is improbable, Cuaron admits, but not impossible. If you buy into that premise, as one must do with other disaster films, then it's a fantastic film.
I'd heard scientists warn it's possible for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kessler_syndrome

Not getting all the FBG hater reviews. Alf did a great job keeping it exciting all the way through with 1.5 boring actors on screen.

Really enjoyed it.

If you own a 3d TV you owe it yourself to buy one of the IMAX 3d space movies. They are visually stunning and this movie reminded me a lot of them.

Got tickets to see thus Sunday in NYC at the AMC Lincoln Center IMAX. They say the screen is HUGE. :excited:
Okay. Not one of the five of us who saw it today had anything negative to say about it afterwards. Although I struggle at times blocking out images of Buzz Lightyear whenever Clooney talks, I think he played his role perfectly. Bullock was a great choice for her part, and yes- she still has great legs. :excited:

As for seeing this anywhere but IMAX 3D or waiting to watch it at home?? :no: This is made to be seen at a venue wherein your field of view is filled by the expanses of infinite space. As much as I love my 50" Panny, it wouldn't be nearly the same experience...

Very entertaining. Not really like any movie I can think of. Very tense, the movie just flew by. If you are interested in seeing it should see it in the theater.
Agreed on all counts.

Like others, this isn't one I'll be itching to see again on the home screen, but it's a unique flick that's great for the big screen.

Got tickets to see thus Sunday in NYC at the AMC Lincoln Center IMAX. They say the screen is HUGE. :excited:
Okay. Not one of the five of us who saw it today had anything negative to say about it afterwards. Although I struggle at times blocking out images of Buzz Lightyear whenever Clooney talks, I think he played his role perfectly. Bullock was a great choice for her part, and yes- she still has great legs. :excited:

As for seeing this anywhere but IMAX 3D or waiting to watch it at home?? :no: This is made to be seen at a venue wherein your field of view is filled by the expanses of infinite space. As much as I love my 50" Panny, it wouldn't be nearly the same experience...
this sums up this movie experience perfectly

I saw it tonight in regular 3d. Thought it was pretty good. Think it would have been better in IMAX.

Okay. Not one of the five of us who saw it today had anything negative to say about it afterwards. Although I struggle at times blocking out images of Buzz Lightyear whenever Clooney talks, I think he played his role perfectly. Bullock was a great choice for her part, and yes- she still has great legs. :excited: As for seeing this anywhere but IMAX 3D or waiting to watch it at home?? :no: This is made to be seen at a venue wherein your field of view is filled by the expanses of infinite space. As much as I love my 50" Panny, it wouldn't be nearly the same experience...
Clooney wasn't Buzz Lightyear

Okay. Not one of the five of us who saw it today had anything negative to say about it afterwards. Although I struggle at times blocking out images of Buzz Lightyear whenever Clooney talks, I think he played his role perfectly. Bullock was a great choice for her part, and yes- she still has great legs. :excited: As for seeing this anywhere but IMAX 3D or waiting to watch it at home?? :no: This is made to be seen at a venue wherein your field of view is filled by the expanses of infinite space. As much as I love my 50" Panny, it wouldn't be nearly the same experience...
Sure he was. George "the tool-man" Clooney.

Saw it in IMAX 3D this weekend and we loved it. The camera work truly gave you the actual sense of space.

One thing, and I don't know how to do spoiler tags so I'll try not to ruin anything, but I can suspend disbelief for a lot of the small factual errors or misses. But why couldn't Bullock just give that line that Clooney was attached to a tug and have him glide to her? They're in space. And when they detached, why did he float away? Again, no gravity, so wouldn't he just stay there?

Saw in in IMAX 3D yesterday with my mom, step-dad, 15yr old daughter and 12yr old daughter..

I really enjoyed it and the effects were awesome.. I can't imagine I'd enjoy it much on a regular screen... That being said, the step-dad thought it was dumb, my mom was indifferent as was my 15yr old daughter..

My 12 year old slept through it.. :shrug:

I would like to have seen Sandra pull the vodka bottle out from under
the seat after Clooney left and she woke up..

shader said:
glock said:
Whoa. You're right. Well, it was Tim Allen doing George Clooney doing Buzz Lightyear.

:shrug:

TheIronSheik said:
Saw it in IMAX 3D this weekend and we loved it. The camera work truly gave you the actual sense of space.

One thing, and I don't know how to do spoiler tags so I'll try not to ruin anything, but I can suspend disbelief for a lot of the small factual errors or misses. But why couldn't Bullock just give that line that Clooney was attached to a tug and have him glide to her? They're in space. And when they detached, why did he float away? Again, no gravity, so wouldn't he just stay there?
What happens is she's grabbing the tethers and he comes with his momentum. His momentum pulls her," Cuaron said. "They're moving together. There's a wide shot that shows they keep moving and you can see the background keeps on moving. What happens is, if he lets go, his force stops and the force of the tether takes over."

In that same interview, however, Cuaron acknowledged that the film was "not a documentary."

TheIronSheik said:

What happens is she's grabbing the tethers and he comes with his momentum. His momentum pulls her," Cuaron said. "They're moving together. There's a wide shot that shows they keep moving and you can see the background keeps on moving. What happens is, if he lets go, his force stops and the force of the tether takes over."

In that same interview, however, Cuaron acknowledged that the film was "not a documentary."
Again, I loved it. Loved it. The one part I mentioned was just confusing to me. I'll take the director's explanation. That's fine.

As for NdT, he's become a tool. I've read a couple of his books and he's very knowledgeable, obviously. But he's really just knit picking on a lot of this stuff. Like Cuaron said, it's not a documentary. But NdT has started becoming a tool long before this movie. Since he started the fight for Pluto to lose planetary status, his fame has gone to his head. I actually can't stand him anymore. And not just because he's black.

TheIronSheik said:

Yeah, that's how I saw it too. They overshot the station, coming in at too high a speed, and couldn't stop. She grabbed on but he kept going and when she grabbed him, he was pulling her away more than the tethers were holding her back. Whether or not that's how science says it should happen, I don't know, but sitting in the theater at the time I bought it.

an amazing cinematic experience.

and i think many here are giving short shrift to the story. just because a plot is not complex doesn't mean it's shallow. i found deep meaning in Stone's journey. It's clearly meant to be a re-birth of some sort, whether spiritual or earth-bound.

and i think many here are giving short shrift to the story. just because a plot is not complex doesn't mean it's shallow. i found deep meaning in Stone's journey. It's clearly meant to be a re-birth of some sort, whether spiritual or earth-bound.
I loved in the beginning when Bullock was spinning and she was freaking out. They started in on her face and kept it their until they slowly went inside her helmet and gave you the view looking out with her HUD blinking "WARN" all over the place. Then it shifted back out to looking at her and pulling out, slowly as she kept yelling for anyone to answer her. No one did as the shot got wider and wider and wider until Clooney answers her and the camera starts to go back in on her.

I thought that sequence was amazing. It was a great way to give you that feeling of being there and also the emptiness of space and how alone you can be.

This was one of my favorite movies I've seen in a while. I think there was just enough plot and acting to do what the director was trying to do. It didn't need too much seasoning.

I loved in the beginning when Bullock was spinning and she was freaking out. They started in on her face and kept it their until they slowly went inside her helmet and gave you the view looking out with her HUD blinking "WARN" all over the place. Then it shifted back out to looking at her and pulling out, slowly as she kept yelling for anyone to answer her. No one did as the shot got wider and wider and wider until Clooney answers her and the camera starts to go back in on her.

I thought that sequence was amazing. It was a great way to give you that feeling of being there and also the emptiness of space and how alone you can be.

This was one of my favorite movies I've seen in a while. I think there was just enough plot and acting to do what the director was trying to do. It didn't need too much seasoning.
:yes: That sequence with her going #### over teakettle affected me the most physically. :X

the opening shot was a 15-minute "no-cut" sequence. incredible film making.

Mild spoiler:

Bullock was a little bit too wimpy/scared during the opening sequence. If I closed my eyes and just listened to her "ah ..ah ..ah," I probably wouldn't have known if she was being chased by a little spider or doing a poor job of faking sex.

I said earlier that I couldn't think of a movie like this one that I had seen. I think the crazy long scenes with no cuts was a big part of that, didn't realize it as I watched.

Great use of music and sound throughout as well.

Everyone has different tastes but I'm pretty surprised to hear that people didn't at least find this movie interesting if not entertaining.

Easily the best movie I've seen this year. Visual masterpiece and the acting from both Clooney and Bullock was superb.

This must be seen in IMAX.

I said earlier that I couldn't think of a movie like this one that I had seen. I think the crazy long scenes with no cuts was a big part of that, didn't realize it as I watched.

Great use of music and sound throughout as well.

Everyone has different tastes but I'm pretty surprised to hear that people didn't at least find this movie interesting if not entertaining.
Definitely a new experience for me as well. As far as the long takes, you should check out Cuaron's other films with his DP Lubiezki. In particular, "Children of Men" has two sequences without any cuts that became famous. CoM is also a great film.

Just got back from seeing this with my brother-in-law. Amazing visuals.

I was not expecting the Stone storyline. That was a major gut punch for obvious reasons.

Saw it. Liked it. Made me queasy until the next morning. Very much gave you the feeling of being in microgravity and the stomach tumbling that must go on there.

It was pretty good, not great.
I give it credit (sad as that may be) for being original. That is, this is the first major movie since maybe Inception to not be based on a book, TV show, comic book, toy, theme park ride, video game, real-life event, a sequel, a prequel, a reboot, or a remake of a foreign-language film. It's a rare beast in Hollywood. I hope its success breeds more original films, designed to be stories told in the motion-picture medium.

It was pretty good, not great.
I give it credit (sad as that may be) for being original. That is, this is the first major movie since maybe Inception to not be based on a book, TV show, comic book, toy, theme park ride, video game, real-life event, a sequel, a prequel, a reboot, or a remake of a foreign-language film. It's a rare beast in Hollywood. I hope its success breeds more original films, designed to be stories told in the motion-picture medium.
Kind of reminded me of castaway in outer space...the seclusion and surviving

Users who are viewing this thread