What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gravity (3D) (1 Viewer)

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy
Go see this. It's definitely worth your time.

The movie couldn't be simpler. It's an action flick and you're on the railroad track -- there's not a lot of thinking or wondering what will happen next required.

There's very little dialogue and we know next to nothing about the characters with one big exception.

The big exception works even though it's cliched and has been done many times. And it's a good message.

Mostly though the special effects are just very good. I normally hate films that are nothing more than vehicles for the newest special effect/technology, but would absolutely watch a documentary on 'The Making of Gravity'. It looks like they filmed the whole thing in space and the action scenes are incredible. No idea how they did it.

Action movies aren't my favorite genre, so my rating is probably low for most people, but I give it a solid 8/10. And, sure enough, rotten tomatoes has it at 98% with 170/173 reviews being positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it they kept the same mission control guy as Apollo 13 though. Nice continuity touch there.

I rarely go see movies anymore after saving up and buying a nice home system, but there's no way I'm missing this. I'm not a fan of 3D just for the sake of it, but like Avatar, the 3D is an integral component and Thicke won't be the same without it. Though Gravity will have an almost infinitely higher re-watchability factor, it'll just be missing a component of the intended presentation. Chivo and Cuaron = must see.

Been to the theater about 2 times in 5 years or so. $20 to see this in 3D IMAX seems like a good value based on what I've heard

I rarely go see movies anymore after saving up and buying a nice home system, but there's no way I'm missing this. I'm not a fan of 3D just for the sake of it, but like Avatar, the 3D is an integral component and Thicke won't be the same without it. Though Gravity will have an almost infinitely higher re-watchability factor, it'll just be missing a component of the intended presentation. Chivo and Cuaron = must see.
Agree .. I see 5 or 6 moives a year.. But this is one that I feel is a MUST see in the theaters and in 3D.. taking the family tomorrow at 1PM.. Should be fun.. :popcorn:

But i"m expecting that my wife will be lucky to make it through 15 minutes before she has to look away or leave the theater seeing as she get's motion sickness just riding passenger in the car.

Been to the theater about 2 times in 5 years or so. $20 to see this in 3D IMAX seems like a good value based on what I've heard
yea, wish there was an Imax closer to us.. the nearest one is about an hour drive so "regular" 3D will have to do :kicksrock:

I will be seeing this in the theater.

Question - Is it worth it to see in 3D? The only movie I've really thought was worth the 3D was Avatar. Does the 3D meet that standard?

I will be seeing this in the theater.

Question - Is it worth it to see in 3D? The only movie I've really thought was worth the 3D was Avatar. Does the 3D meet that standard?
This is the first movie I've seen in 3D, and I was pretty skeptical of it going in, but I thought it added quite a bit. Seems like the perfect movie for 3D to me.

Agree .. I see 5 or 6 moives a year.. But this is one that I feel is a MUST see in the theaters and in 3D.. taking the family tomorrow at 1PM.. Should be fun.. :popcorn: But i"m expecting that my wife will be lucky to make it through 15 minutes before she has to look away or leave the theater seeing as she get's motion sickness just riding passenger in the car.
I get queasy pretty easy and wondered if it would be a problem, but after the quick-cut previews were done (and holy hell were there a bunch -- maybe eight) I didn't notice it at all.

Pop a couple pills and relax, bro. You will love it. You won't even realize you're in a theater.

Agree .. I see 5 or 6 moives a year.. But this is one that I feel is a MUST see in the theaters and in 3D.. taking the family tomorrow at 1PM.. Should be fun.. :popcorn: But i"m expecting that my wife will be lucky to make it through 15 minutes before she has to look away or leave the theater seeing as she get's motion sickness just riding passenger in the car.
I get queasy pretty easy and wondered if it would be a problem, but after the quick-cut previews were done (and holy hell were there a bunch -- maybe eight) I didn't notice it at all.
cool :thanks:

She made it through Avengers in 3D without issues... just read this is pretty intense and the depth really grabs you so a little :oldunsure: on how she'll handle it.

Do you guys remember who the poster was that got really really into Avatar? I can't find the movie thread.

Don't know if this is technically a spoiler, but I'll play it safe. For those that have seen it:

was it really necessary to have Bullock only having six months training? That really bugs me, since most astronauts train for years and never reach space. seems like a cheap mechanism for a lazy writer. I know she's not technically an astronaut, but come on.
That won't stop me from seeing it though.

Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills
and put your helmet on

Commencing countdown,
engines on
Check ignition
and may God's love be with you

Just saw this movie. It was not in 3D,,,, and I still got motion sick during the first minutes. I must admit right off that I am a Bullock fan. But this movie caught me in the first minutes (even with all the spinning) and kept me. I liked it. However, I can't recommend it to everyone. Clooney and Bullock are the only two in the movie. No other actors. If you like space movies that stay true to space, then you might give this a try. Best movie I have seen dealing with the aspects of space travel. But it's good that you have a love for either Clooney or Bullock to really get the most out of it.

Just saw this movie. It was not in 3D,,,, and I still got motion sick during the first minutes. I must admit right off that I am a Bullock fan. But this movie caught me in the first minutes (even with all the spinning) and kept me. I liked it. However, I can't recommend it to everyone. Clooney and Bullock are the only two in the movie. No other actors. If you like space movies that stay true to space, then you might give this a try. Best movie I have seen dealing with the aspects of space travel. But it's good that you have a love for either Clooney or Bullock to really get the most out of it.
I really don't think that's true. I don't like Bullock at all, and found the movie to be fantastic.

Kind of looks like that one movie with the person in the ocean for two hours. Whatever that was called. So one part of me is kinda meh. But...I am also curious to see it in IMAX as I think it might be stellar.

Just saw it (in 2D).

Didn't feel like I missed anything by not seeing it in 3D.

Acting was solid. Events were very plausible and not contrived at all Effects were top notch. Shoe in to win best VFX. Guaranteed. Seemless and, even as someone who does that for a living, it was hard to tell where the line was between real and cg. Thumbs freakin up.

Just saw it (in 2D).

Didn't feel like I missed anything by not seeing it in 3D.

Acting was solid. Events were very plausible and not contrived at all Effects were top notch. Shoe in to win best VFX. Guaranteed. Seemless and, even as someone who does that for a living, it was hard to tell where the line was between real and cg. Thumbs freakin up.
From my understanding it was all cgi.

wdcrob said:
Daywalker said:
I see it's PG-13. Would you be comfortable taking a 10-year-old to see this? Couple of f-bombs?
Not even.

Just really intense action and Sandra in boxer briefs for the last half hour.
:goodposting: Very intense..

Normally during any movie I find my mind wandering thinking about this and that and wondering "dam, I have to pee, I wonder how much longer this is going to last"..

Not with this movie.. From about 10 minutes into the movie to the ending I never thought about anything else but the what was happening on the screen..

What a great theater experience.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Incredible movie. This best movie i have seen so far this year.

Highlights:

Loved when Sandra Bullock is trying to fix the panel and you see Clooney jetting around in the background :lol:

When Bullock finally grabs the Doctor's body, turns him over and sees what the debris did to his face :o

And I am glad Clooney did not survive and it was only her imagination in the Soyuz

wdcrob said:
Daywalker said:
I see it's PG-13. Would you be comfortable taking a 10-year-old to see this? Couple of f-bombs?
Not even.

Damn, she has some killer thighs. She could crush your head like a grape with those

Highlights:

Loved when Sandra Bullock is trying to fix the panel and you see Clooney jetting around in the background :lol:

When Bullock finally grabs the Doctor's body, turns him over and sees what the debris did to his face :o

And I am glad Clooney did not survive and it was only her imagination in the Soyuz
Amen on the Soyuz thing. Was ready to be pissed that they'd screwed up a good movie.

I saw an IMAX 3-D screening of Alfonso Cuaron's space epic "Gravity" Wednesday and loved it.

Since then, people have been coming up to me all day asking what format they should see the film in.

Here's the verdict: You need to see "Gravity" on the largest screen possible ... and in 3-D.

Let me note that I normally dislike seeing a film in 3-D. Much less do I enjoy telling friends and family to watch a movie in the format. Not only are the glasses awkward and slightly dorky to wear, but many films aren't made to be seen in 3-D. This is because many of them aren't filmed in 3-D. Rather, they're post-conversions.

gravity trailer space

Warner Bros. / Gravity trailer

This photo doesn't do justice to how you see "Gravity" on the big screen.

Between the long shots, the gorgeous overviews of Earth at one point George Clooney's character literally tells us to sit back and take in the view you just feel like you're there for an incredibly immersive 90-minute (yes, it's only an hour-and-a-half!) thrill ride.

It's also good to keep in mind that Cuaron's been working on "Gravity" for the past four-and-a-half years.

If that doesn't have you convinced, chances are you're going to be shelling out to see the film in at least 3-D. anyway since the majority of the screenings aren't in 2-D. (Most theaters in the NYC area have two to three showings in 2-D this weekend.)

So you may as well go all in.

The next question: How do you know if I'm seeing the film in IMAX 3-D vs. 3-D?

Great question.

You may not realize it, but there are four different kinds of tickets to buy for "Gravity": Standard (2-D), IMAX, Digital 3-D, and IMAX 3-D.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/see-gravity-in-imax-3d-nyc-2013-10#ixzz2gsqHlglE

Highlights:

Amen on the Soyuz thing. Was ready to be pissed that they'd screwed up a good movie.
And then

Right before that point, I would have been OK if she would have just fallen asleep and the movie would have been over.

But after that i wanted her to live. And both my daughter and I were freaking out when first she couldn't get out of the capsule and it was sinking and then the suit was too heavy and she was sinking

Highlights:

:goodposting: on all accounts.

I saw this today. This is not at all my kind of movie and I saw it only as a deal with my husband. I think the movie is kind of bad--really could have done with NO dialogue at all and I hated the sappiness of it--but still I'd recommend it just for the effects and the gripping nature of it. We saw it in IMAX 3-D and I can't imagine why you'd go with another option if you can do this. Really amazing, beautifully filmed. Just kind of a dumb movie but then again it has Sandra Bullock in it so you get what you might expect. Cool movie to experience overall though.

wdcrob said:
Daywalker said:
Not even.

Damn, she has some killer thighs. She could crush your head like a grape with those
In the last shots, I thought her butt looked really big... although that could have been due to seeing it in 3-D.

Saw it this afternoon in 3D IMax. It was really amazing special effects (it looked like it was filmed in outer space to me) and was very intense. Definitely worth seeing. My wife even cried during it. Now she does cry easily, but it did have an emotional component to it. Thumbs up.

Sandra Bullock looked amazing especially for an old broad.

Saw it in 3D tonight but not IMAX 3D. Movie was good but the 3D was terrible. I may see it again in IMAX based on what I've heard/read.

The 3D I saw it in was advertised as "Read D 3D"...it had the grey glasses...but the effects were bad. Objects/scenery in the background seemed to be in the foreground, some objects were blurry and double images...it completely distracted me from fully enjoying the movie. The whole time I kept thinking I should have seen it in regular 2D or held out for IMAX Tuesday.

That said it was a good flick with lots of intensity, was hoping for a little more at the end but overall I liked it. It was the first non drive-in theater I've been to in probably 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread