What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (5 Viewers)

Rodgers will get traded in 2021 with a team who can absorb his salary. Colts, Jaguars.or Browns is my guess.

Rodgers will get traded in 2021 with a team who can absorb his salary. Colts, Jaguars.or Browns is my guess.

Moving up in the first to send a message? Seems unlikely. They do look to be heading for a divorce though and the way Rogers is I can’t see it taking more than a year. He’s pretty prickly so I’m thinking it’ll be an ugly year. I hope he’s traded somewhere good. 
Counter-point.

If you have an aging QB who is extremely talented but who has been playing injured and missing games, what’s the best gift you can give him? Another receiver so he can keep dropping back 40-50 times a game and running wild? Or a run-oriented offense featuring two big h-backs and a 3 back rotation with a couple bruisers who will dominate in crappy weather at Lambeau?  I’ll say again I don’t have a crystal ball, but I think it’s ignorant to say the team is abandoning its leader or doesn’t have a plan that includes the mvp. LaFleur might be taking the team down a path that will lead to a few fantastic seasons for #12. 

Counter-point.

If you have an aging QB who is extremely talented but who has been playing injured and missing games, what’s the best gift you can give him? Another receiver so he can keep dropping back 40-50 times a game and running wild? Or a run-oriented offense featuring two big h-backs and a 3 back rotation with a couple bruisers who will dominate in crappy weather at Lambeau?  I’ll say again I don’t have a crystal ball, but I think it’s ignorant to say the team is abandoning its leader or doesn’t have a plan that includes the mvp. LaFleur might be taking the team down a path that will lead to a few fantastic seasons for #12. 

Everyone thinks they have a plan, 95% of them just don’t pan out. Taking a rb isn’t a good idea but not terrible. The guy they took looks like a bad pick to me but you never know. 

having a qb sit and learn more than a season is a waste no matter how you slice it. I can only assume they want to move on from Rogers soon. Given his history I wouldn’t be surprised if he already requested a trade. I can’t see him staying long. Looks like both sides want to move on.

CletiusMaximus said:
Counter-point.

How does that pick help establish a run game or help the team win this season?  

I don’t follow GB so this is very outside looking in but I can almost understand the Love pick more than I can understand Dillon in the 2nd. If they were really high on Love then there’s precedent within the organization for grooming the next guy at QB on an extended timeline (and fwiw I strongly disagree w the Love pick). 

Dillon? You just got a top season out of a 5th round draft pick and good committee production from a 4th rounder. If there really is a concern about their contracts expiring, shouldn’t the team have some degree of confidence that they can replace both at a later date (or in a later round) and at least get good production? Why not prioritize WR in the 2nd given the depth in this draft?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t follow GB so this is very outside looking in but I can almost understand the Love pick more than I can understand Dillon in the 2nd. If they were really high on Love then there’s precedent within the organization for grooming the next guy at QB on an extended timeline (and fwiw I strongly disagree w the Love pick). 

Dillon? You just got a top season out of a 5th round draft pick and good committee production from a 4th rounder. If there really is a concern about their contracts expiring, shouldn’t the team have some degree of confidence that they can replace both at a later date (or in a later round) and at least get good production? Why not prioritize WR in the 2nd given the depth in this draft?

I don’t like the Dillon pick because I don’t think you should spend a second rounder on a back that can’t catch at all, but I think the reason they took Dillon is because Jones (and Jamal Williams) is a free agent after this year and they will let him walk (which I agree with - shouldn’t spend a ton of $$$ on running backs)

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Okay I have officially accepted that the Rodgers playoff era is over. 

The Love pick is fine with that understanding. He has the best tools of any qb in the draft, let’s hope with a year sitting and working on his game within this system he can hit the ground running in 2021.

I just really want them to start extending the young core like Clark and Jaire. And take a look at veterans they can cut and take cap hits this year.

This defense has a lot of impact players, keep them together. 

It’s the dawn of a new era folks.

That’s a great fit for both. And if Stidham falls flat on his face, I can definitely see that. Only issue is I think Pats are tight against the cap.
They actually have a lot of room in 2021. They would have room this year if it weren't for dead cap

Can you imagine Rodgers changing plays for BB and McDaniels...

I don’t like the Dillon pick because I don’t think you should spend a second rounder on a back that can’t catch at all, but I think the reason they took Dillon is because Jones (and Jamal Williams) is a free agent after this year and they will let him walk (which I agree with - shouldn’t spend a ton of $$$ on running backs)
And the leverage of it...Jones may still hold out...but now the team has that replacement.  (Not arguing Dillon is great...just the leveraged use in a contract situation).

There was a possibility already Jones could hold out going into the last year.  With no replacement other than Williams...the team had no leverage.

Bunch of overreaction in here. Trade? Release? LOL!!!!
I was one of the fans that felt we were a few pieces away from super bowl (rotational run stuffing d tackle, run stuffing middle linebacker for d, fast slot receiver and speedy outside receiver and receiving tight end on O). The Packers did NOTHING to address this (although I like Kirksey, guy just can’t stay healthy).

They aren’t winning jack as constructed and front office didn’t do anything to solve the present. 

Good news is there are pieces here. The Smiths on defense are 27. Clark and Jaire are young and impact players. Some solid role players on D too. 

Its really going to depend on Love and the development of some offensive players (Jace for example, and the hope Dillon wasn’t a horrendous pick).

now front office needs to get cap situation manageable so if that means post June 1 veteran cuts or just cutting bait in bad salary take the cap hits now.

CletiusMaximus said:
Counter-point.

This is a very very good post.

Trading Rodgers is a good way to kill your HC gig. You are better off putting up with Rodgers stupidity than going from contender to pretender. The HC won't be around long.

:lmao: You all need some time away. I'm not properly thrilled overall either but lets's let the kids play a snap. Cletius spitting some truth. 

Ive come to grips with the Love pick.  I don't hate it as much...more annoyed they traded up to get him rather than, yeah, if he is there at 30.  I think that limited their options then in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  This assumes those weren't the guys they wanted in those rounds...  But I just think it limited options...there was talent there in those rounds that was falling that seemingly fit the needs (at least to my untrained eye).  And several in the 4th that I think could have been of help to this team.

I think the play here by the Packers was one of this year will be reliant more on the team you already have vs the rookies.

I'm over the Love pick too and moving on.  As news/rumors have leaked of other deals GB were making to move up, LaFluer and Gutey obviously loved the potential.  Would really like to see their big board and how high they had him.  Right up there with Tua, Herbert, maybe above one of them?  

Ive come to grips with the Love pick.  I don't hate it as much...more annoyed they traded up to get him rather than, yeah, if he is there at 30.  I think that limited their options then in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  This assumes those weren't the guys they wanted in those rounds...  But I just think it limited options...there was talent there in those rounds that was falling that seemingly fit the needs (at least to my untrained eye).  And several in the 4th that I think could have been of help to this team.

I think the play here by the Packers was one of this year will be reliant more on the team you already have vs the rookies.
Me too.  I don't hate it anymore but still wished they hadn't moved up to get him.  Also not really thrilled about taking a H back/ TE mix in the 3rd round when there was still some decent WR and Malik Harrison on the board.  I guess they have a plan but part of the issue was the shock value.  When's the last time a 13-3 team, 1 win away from a Superbowl completely ignored their top 4 positions of need in the 1st 3 rounds?  That's why most of us were upset it.  Whatever it's over I'll cheer for these guys and hopefully some our previous higher draft picks (Rashan Gary, Josh Jackson and Oren Burks...looking at you) step up and they can make another run in 2020.  Go Pack Go!

I'm over the Love pick too and moving on.  As news/rumors have leaked of other deals GB were making to move up, LaFluer and Gutey obviously loved the potential.  Would really like to see their big board and how high they had him.  Right up there with Tua, Herbert, maybe above one of them?  
I think when I accepted the front office has closed door on playoff window the Love move was fine. Many had him going anywhere from 15 to end of first. 

strykerpks said:
:lmao: You all need some time away. I'm not properly thrilled overall either but lets's let the kids play a snap. Cletius spitting some truth. 
Cletius is trying to spin this into any positive that he can. He wants to hang on the Packers know what they're doing versus literally everyone else is saying about this draft.

Denial IMO

Well, that draft went nothing like what I expected.  

For me there are two thing I've had to process - the Love pick, and the general approach.

The Love Pick - I'm a huge ARod fan.  Have been ever since they drafted him.  In the last 15 years #12 is the only jersey I've ever paid for.  Still, I was stoked to see this pick.  Watching Love's college tape it seems clear to me he (a) needs time with NFL coaching to develop, and (b) has Mahomes-lite upside.  It's rare in the modern NFL for rookie QBs to get the chance to grow before having the full load of pressure to perform dumped on them.  And, as much as I love Rodgers, he's on the downside....while he is still a top QB he's been on a slow downward trajectory the past 3-4 seasons.  To my eyes, he doesn't look like the level of difference maker he used to be and I do not expect that to magically change in his age 37 and 38 seasons.  I don't see them (nor want to see them) moving on from him this year or even next so I, for one, and pumped to see what Love can grow in to with a couple years learning behind one of the game's absolute best.

The General Approach - As rounds 2-7 rolled along I got perplexed and even a bit annoyed by the picks.  But over the past 24 hours I've been thinking about and one thing keeps coming to mind....the Tennessee Titans.  I don't mean to take away from what Tannehill accomplished last year but I do not believe he's a better QB than ARod.  Imagine the Titans with Rodgers at QB?  This is a team that took it to the Super Bowl champs away from home in the playoffs.  I think the Packers are trying to build a squad like the Titans and, after watching Tenn. last year, I'm not upset by it.  As someone said above, I don't think the best use of a guy like Rodgers right now is a wide open air-it-out approach.  I think he's best served by giving him a big-time running game and a solid defense.  

Dillon and Jones could form a backfield no one wants to defend.  And by investing heavily in the interior line the Packers are doing all they can to maximize the running game for those two backs.  With an effective running game like that seeing loaded boxes it frees up Adams to feast on one-on-one coverage....and I think Lazard, Funchess, and possibly even Sternberger are effective enough to make play action a dagger for this offense.  On defense we still have the young Smith bros. and Gary will be a year better and healthier.  I would have liked to see more investment in the front 7 but I think it can be effective enough, especially if the ball-control run game takes off for the offense.  

I miss the days of averaging 30 points a game with Rodgers but I don't think that's the immediate future of this team anymore.

The more I think about it, the more I like what seems to be this organization's plan.  Maximize what you got today, plan for the future too.

Packers got exposed v the 49ers (twice) last season. They ran down our throats and shut down the receivers.

Anyone thinking we can win after not doing anything to significantly address needs (qb is not a need, rb is not a need) is in denial.

I think a lot of us, after being irate over the draft, have accepted that we aren’t winning another championship (North, NFC, or Super Bowl) during the Rodgers era. 

what will infuriate me is if the front office doesn’t start focusing on extensions for young players and cutting dead weight while they can withstand the cap hits. 

And there better be a plan to trade Rodgers next offseason with an understanding of how to absorb the pretty large cap hits.

Having looked at everything and all our picks and watched all the draft gurus break down every teams picks. The Packers 2020 draft is the worst I have ever seen or definitely the worst Packers draft I recall in 40ish years of being a true fan. 

I don’t think I have seen anyone give them higher than a D grade and a couple E/F’s. 

What’s even worse to me is the Vikings had a great draft and Detroit did pretty good as well. 

I get the Love pick because you need a back-up and heir apparent, and maybe you didn't like the WRs on the board at that point. But if Rodgers is playing for 2-3+ more years, that kind of defeats the purpose of having a QB on a cheaper rookie deal.

And this is NFL in the year 2020. You need a legit second option to throw to. Right now that doesn't exist. You hope Jace can improve but Lazard/Funchess/EQ are WR3 types.

fair enough. Lazard I guess? I think that is quite a gamble going into the season.
I'm holding off hyping for now, but I think this group is better than the last 2 years. I just find it hard to see a scenario where at least one of them doesn't step up. I don't think a rookie like Mims would have made a bigger difference than what they have. Jefferson or Reagor would have been awesome but that wasn't an option. 

I'm holding off hyping for now, but I think this group is better than the last 2 years. I just find it hard to see a scenario where at least one of them doesn't step up. I don't think a rookie like Mims would have made a bigger difference than what they have. Jefferson or Reagor would have been awesome but that wasn't an option. 
I think they like Begelton a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as WR#3 this year

Mr.Pack said:
I think they like Begelton a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as WR#3 this year
GDI shhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one shall mention him again for 3 weeks plz.

Would be a great story but nothing indicates Begleton will be more than a special teamer if he makes the team. Hope he proves me wrong.

Does anyone know what's the overall cap situation for Packers?  I'm curious to know whether their GM is actively working on telephone to trade for one of WRs.  Ideally, they would trade for WR Corey Davis from Titans since he blocks well.  He also does have experience playing for Packers' HC LaFluer during his time as Titans OC. 

Having looked at everything and all our picks and watched all the draft gurus break down every teams picks. The Packers 2020 draft is the worst I have ever seen or definitely the worst Packers draft I recall in 40ish years of being a true fan. 

I don’t think I have seen anyone give them higher than a D grade and a couple E/F’s. 

What’s even worse to me is the Vikings had a great draft and Detroit did pretty good as well. 

Draft grades when the ink on the draft is still wet are silly, why put any stock in them? This post reminds me of the media slobbering all over recent Vikings drafts, typified by the 2016 one when they took Treadwell and were universally hailed as having crushed that draft. Four years later and they'll be lucky to have gotten a single compensatory sixth round pick out of that masterful "A+" tour de force. This Packers draft certainly might also eventually prove to be a debacle. Or, three or four years from now, it might prove to have been very crafty. But an obituary seems awfully premature at this point, before any of the players have had a single practice. Let's at least give these guys a little time to get a symptom or two before we bury them, eh? 

Draft grades when the ink on the draft is still wet are silly, why put any stock in them? This post reminds me of the media slobbering all over recent Vikings drafts, typified by the 2016 one when they took Treadwell and were universally hailed as having crushed that draft. Four years later and they'll be lucky to have gotten a single compensatory sixth round pick out of that masterful "A+" tour de force. This Packers draft certainly might also eventually prove to be a debacle. Or, three or four years from now, it might prove to have been very crafty. But an obituary seems awfully premature at this point, before any of the players have had a single practice. Let's at least give these guys a little time to get a symptom or two before we bury them, eh? 
I truly hope I can come back to your post and say how incredibly insightful and correct you are.

But for now and on the surface this draft does not look very good. But I am hopeful that they saw something that literally no one else saw.

I truly hope I can come back to your post and say how incredibly insightful and correct you are.

But for now and on the surface this draft does not look very good. But I am hopeful that they saw something that literally no one else saw.
Or maybe every other GM in the league slammed their Big Boards in disgust as the Packers stole their would-be picks. We don't know. But we do know the guys that get paid to make these decisions did a lot more research and poking and prodding of the prospective picks than we did, and were privy to a lot more information that just isn't available to the chattering classes. Let's relax for a bit, and assume there's some method to the apparent madness. There'll be plenty of time later to call them out as dunces if the players go ####-up.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this analysis with eye-popping stats, describing how badly stubborn Packers on refusal to take WR in high draft picks for last few years.   It is very galling especially with the following excerpt.  

There's been speculation that Matt LaFleur is trying to move more toward the Kyle Shanahan scheme, which was all but confirmed by LaFleur after drafting an H-Back in the third round.

However, if that's the case, there's a notable flaw in that strategy.

Since Shanahan became head coach of the San Francisco 49ers in 2017, only two teams have spent more draft capital at wideout. Sure, they've missed on some -- most notably Dante Pettis -- but with Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk in the fold, the team will not be lacking speed at the position.

The same cannot be said for LaFleur's Packers.
I get what LaFleur is trying to do by replicating his former boss Shanahan but both HC are different.  I'm damn sure that Shanahan would love to have Rodgers as his QB for 49ers.  He would make the entire 49ers offense even more lethal.  

Counter-point.

This is a good point but it doesn't touch on the impact having a power running game will have on the defense. IMHO not only will a stronger running game help Rodgers (if he doesn't bail out of it at the line)but it will help the defense stay fresher.

Users who are viewing this thread