What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (7 Viewers)

You know, maybe a WR would have been a better option than a 3rd string RB?
They were averaging what, 41 points a game with Adams, Lazard and MVS. Seems like they knew what they had at WR and 41 points a game kinda bears out that they may have been right. Their top 3 were doing pretty good. Not often you lose your top 2 WRs. 

I think if they were to take something other than a 3rd string QB it would've been better served on an ILB

They were averaging what, 41 points a game with Adams, Lazard and MVS. Seems like they knew what they had at WR and 41 points a game kinda bears out that they may have been right. Their top 3 were doing pretty good. Not often you lose your top 2 WRs. 

I think if they were to take something other than a 3rd string QB it would've been better served on an ILB
Sure. But injuries do happen often.  I think a lot of thjngs may have been better this year than seeing the top 3 picks in street clothes or barely getting play (Deguara due to injury)

I would have been fine with an ILB.  Or an OL.  Or a DL.  Or a WR.....

How many combined snaps do the Packers' first 3 draft picks (Love, Dillon, Deguara) have this year?  Anyone have a figure?

How many combined snaps do the Packers' first 3 draft picks (Love, Dillon, Deguara) have this year?  Anyone have a figure?
Well hopefully love doesn't get any this year. Hopefully Dillon sees very few as well.

Packers about to go 4-0 and the first thing that comes to mind is the April draft?

Well hopefully love doesn't get any this year. Hopefully Dillon sees very few as well.

Packers about to go 4-0 and the first thing that comes to mind is the April draft?
I was just talking to my friend about their draft and wondered how many snaps they've had.   Figured I'd post here and maybe there would be a Packers fan here in the know about it, and have an answer for us.  My sincerest apologies for not opening my post with a congrats on the win.

Last edited by a moderator:

It was a really good year to draft rookies who don’t need to contribute, given that there was no preseason.

Amazing to see the team start 4-0 and look this good.   Very happy with the first 4 weeks.

It was a really good year to draft rookies who don’t need to contribute, given that there was no preseason.

Amazing to see the team start 4-0 and look this good.   Very happy with the first 4 weeks.
I don't think its ever good to draft players expecting immediate contribution, understanding teams (including the Packers) often find themselves in that situation due to poor planning and other factors.  Its a fantastic luxury to be in position to draft BPA, looking to the future, and is a sign of great leadership imo.  Of course, if those players fail to perform down the road, heads will roll, as they should.

Have the Packers faced a real defense yet?  Probably not, but check this out:

Mike Renner @PFF_Mike

To put into context how insane the Packers offense has been so far, here's how they'd stack up historically in points per drive:

3.73 Packers (2020)

---------------------

3.19 Patriots (2007)

3.12 Chiefs (2018)

2.96 Saints (2011)

2.85 Packers (2011)

2.83 Broncos (2013)

Packers are now at 4.04 points per drive.  I still feel the jury's out on this team, but the offense is putting up historic numbers through 4 games.

They can beat the bad teams and some good teams...but man was that TB loss ugly.

Rodgers has to develop some sort of trust with the other WRs...can't just force feed Adams all the time.

I see they brought in Seth Roberts...hoping that isn't all they try to do here other than get Lazard back, but seems that may be the case.  I think there are a few players on the teams that are out of it that would help this team.  Don't give up a ton...but I think its clear they erred in thinking all the WRs they had would stay healthy and be enough.  

Defensively...I get frustrated with the play, but understand it just seems to be a case of them trying to not give up big plays and keep everything in front of them.  That works fine against bad teams like Houston, but against a team like TB and Brady, he has the patience to dink and dunk all game long and wait for the right time for a shot.  3 sacks this week were nice, but seems the pass rush is still inconsistent as can be.  Z looked noticeably hobbled.

Josh Jackson had a better game this week, but it was hard not to after the previous week.  Kid had a ton of promise but just don't think he has "it".  Id about rather have Tramon back at this point and get King back healthy soon.

I do like the possibilities at ILB right now.  Its not great, its still work in progress...but we get to see what Martin can do...and I have liked what I have seen from Barnes.  Ty Summers...not so much.

Need to get swerve back healthy as well...the jet motion seems to not fool anyone unless he is running it (and glad they finally had MVS go at it and gave it to him as well...if its just a fake every time and you never hand it to him or throw to him after the motion...people will just ignore the motion and it becomes pointless IMO)

sho nuff said:
They can beat the bad teams and some good teams...but man was that TB loss ugly.

Rodgers has to develop some sort of trust with the other WRs...can't just force feed Adams all the time.
The underlying issue is that Rodgers has had given Marquez Valdes-Scantling many chances but he couldn't catch most of them.  Granted, most of them were deep passes, which are bit difficult to catch.  Regardless, MVS got to capitalize when given opportunity.  This is why Allen Lazard pounced on that opportunity last year and gained Rodgers' trust.  The loss of Lazard is telling, forcing Rodgers to be heavily dependent on Adams (no Aaron Jones = increased use of Jamaal Williams). 

I am hoping that Packers would continue to bother Bengals with trade to acquire AJ Green.  He would be great fit for Rodgers. 

The underlying issue is that Rodgers has had given Marquez Valdes-Scantling many chances but he couldn't catch most of them.  Granted, most of them were deep passes, which are bit difficult to catch.  Regardless, MVS got to capitalize when given opportunity.  This is why Allen Lazard pounced on that opportunity last year and gained Rodgers' trust.  The loss of Lazard is telling, forcing Rodgers to be heavily dependent on Adams (no Aaron Jones = increased use of Jamaal Williams). 

I am hoping that Packers would continue to bother Bengals with trade to acquire AJ Green.  He would be great fit for Rodgers. 
I have a bigger list than Green (and was against him early on...but he is starting to look a bit healthier again).  But Green or Ross (who they don't even play) from the Nati would be good.

Edelman?  Doesn't have a lot left...but a shifty slot guy who can find holes in the zone?

Gallup...don't think Dallas wants to part with young talent...but they are a dumpster fire...worth a shot going for someone from there.  He also may cost way too much to acquire.

Crowder or Perriman from the Jets...again, tougher to get Crowder with how he has performed and Perriman has been meh for them and dinged up.  But the Jets too are a dumpster fire in need of draft picks.

Houston also needing help...but they aren't giving up Fuller or Cooks...and don't see GB giving anything up to bring Cobb back (though, seems a wise move...again a vet who knows how to find the hole in the zone and has a relationship with the QB this time).

Atlanta...don't see them parting with anyone we could afford and we aren't breaking the bank for Julio.

K. Cole from Jax?  Another team at the bottom and they aren't going to give up Chark or the rookie...

Denver...all young guys they aren't going to give up...Minnesota not going to give up anything of value in the division...

Chargers not likely to give up much either...Allen would be very very interesting but seems always in the blue tent.

Giants...I don't want Tate and seems the rest of their guys are younger that they will want to hold on to.  Engram would be fun to think about at TE...but don't see the value on a TE from the front office in GB.

I have a bigger list than Green (and was against him early on...but he is starting to look a bit healthier again).  But Green or Ross (who they don't even play) from the Nati would be good.

Edelman?  Doesn't have a lot left...but a shifty slot guy who can find holes in the zone?

Gallup...don't think Dallas wants to part with young talent...but they are a dumpster fire...worth a shot going for someone from there.  He also may cost way too much to acquire.

Crowder or Perriman from the Jets...again, tougher to get Crowder with how he has performed and Perriman has been meh for them and dinged up.  But the Jets too are a dumpster fire in need of draft picks.

Houston also needing help...but they aren't giving up Fuller or Cooks...and don't see GB giving anything up to bring Cobb back (though, seems a wise move...again a vet who knows how to find the hole in the zone and has a relationship with the QB this time).

Atlanta...don't see them parting with anyone we could afford and we aren't breaking the bank for Julio.

K. Cole from Jax?  Another team at the bottom and they aren't going to give up Chark or the rookie...

Denver...all young guys they aren't going to give up...Minnesota not going to give up anything of value in the division...

Chargers not likely to give up much either...Allen would be very very interesting but seems always in the blue tent.

Giants...I don't want Tate and seems the rest of their guys are younger that they will want to hold on to.  Engram would be fun to think about at TE...but don't see the value on a TE from the front office in GB.
What Packers (rather Rodgers) need is a bit field-stretcher.  Lazard provides that part but unfortunately, he'll be out for a while.  MVS is guy who supposed to provide that but for whatever reason, he cannot get his job done when given opportunity.  Perhaps Equanimeous St. Brown could be that guy.  

The rumor is that Packers have been fielding calls to more than half of league for trade availability on one of their WRs.  

What Packers (rather Rodgers) need is a bit field-stretcher.  Lazard provides that part but unfortunately, he'll be out for a while.  MVS is guy who supposed to provide that but for whatever reason, he cannot get his job done when given opportunity.  Perhaps Equanimeous St. Brown could be that guy.  

The rumor is that Packers have been fielding calls to more than half of league for trade availability on one of their WRs.  
I think Lazard will be back as early as next Thursday.

I think Gute will be involved in talks...just unsure he ever pulls the trigger.  They apparently made a push for Ertz before he got hurt.  Makes me wonder if they are calling about Engram.

I don't think the Packers will go big on trades. I don't see them willing to give away an future first round picks. A few guys of interest. I prefer taking shots on talent who just may have not been in the right situation

• John Ross-pedigree, speed component, has been maligned but also through multiple qbs and systems. Not a bad deep shot trade
  • Njoku-pedigree, has flashed in the past, has the size/speed component for the offensive system
  • Corey Davis-pedigree, not sure Ten would trade him but with the system they run, the emergence of Brown and him being on the last year of his contract...
  • Dede Westbrook-could probably be had for a 6th rounder. Adds experience and depth
  • Dante Pettis-was considered a potential breakout guy 2 years. Has the speed and could be a gadget player in the slot
  • Fuller-a 4th-5th rounder for Fuller would be a fun half season rental, but they would be unable to bring him back on a contract
  • Stills-all the talk of the other 3 Texans wrs. Stills should be completely getable
  • K'Neal Harry-hurt at the moment, and has been terrible but a low round pick and a change of scenery may be just what is needed
I actually think the Packers are more in need of an ILB, then anything on offense 

James Burgess is the ILB they chose to add. With Martin and Barnes playing there (starting there?) that's now a position of depth, if not strength. Kirksey should be back any week now but may have lost his job.

James Burgess is the ILB they chose to add. With Martin and Barnes playing there (starting there?) that's now a position of depth, if not strength. Kirksey should be back any week now but may have lost his job.
Strength is an overstatement. They are, once again, atrocious against the run and none of these top 4 guys are proven at all. Barnes and Martin are both rookies. Burgess is a guy who played on 5 different practice squads and while he had a nice season for the Jets last year, they still cut him, and he just joined the team. Kirksey has experience but has he ever been dependable in his career?

More and more I don't like this week's game and hope I am wrong.

Going to have to be a really good game by the offense (which should happen against this D)...can our D match up again?

If Kevin King were playing Id feel better...even after a few weeks off for him.  But Jackson covering either Jefferson or Thielen is not ideal.  Id probably actually put Jaire on Jefferson let him cover one on one and then Jackson on Thielen with help.

If you can come out of this 6-1...while missing your #1 RB, #2 WR, #2 Corner, #1 ILB, #1 Safety...having also missed your #1 WR for a few games as well as the best defensive lineman...oh yeah and now probably 2nd game without the starting LT.    Also now maybe without Crosby.

Definitely been a different year than last year when the team was pretty healthy.

More and more I don't like this week's game and hope I am wrong.

Going to have to be a really good game by the offense (which should happen against this D)...can our D match up again?

If Kevin King were playing Id feel better...even after a few weeks off for him.  But Jackson covering either Jefferson or Thielen is not ideal.  Id probably actually put Jaire on Jefferson let him cover one on one and then Jackson on Thielen with help.

If you can come out of this 6-1...while missing your #1 RB, #2 WR, #2 Corner, #1 ILB, #1 Safety...having also missed your #1 WR for a few games as well as the best defensive lineman...oh yeah and now probably 2nd game without the starting LT.    Also now maybe without Crosby.

Definitely been a different year than last year when the team was pretty healthy.

The Vikings are always going to be a hard game and a huge game, but they really have a tough problem this week at cornerback.  Dantzler, Hughes and Hill are all officially out.

Mike Clay

@MikeClayNFL

Vikings cornerbacks for this week vs the Packers:

1. Rd 1 rookie Jeff Gladney

2. Rd 5 rookie Harrison Hand

3. 2019 7th Kris Boyd

4. 2018 UDFA Chris Jones

5. 2019 UDFA Mark Fields

12:49 PM · Oct 30, 2020·TweetDeck
They never want to look ahead, but the next game after this one is on Thursday night, so that will be a consideration for some of the guys who are a little banged up.  

The Vikings are always going to be a hard game and a huge game, but they really have a tough problem this week at cornerback.  Dantzler, Hughes and Hill are all officially out.

They never want to look ahead, but the next game after this one is on Thursday night, so that will be a consideration for some of the guys who are a little banged up.  
That is my other worry...the look ahead to a Thursday night against SF...and people thinking beating MN again should be easy.  Division rival games are never easy.

Yeah...having them banged up in the secondary helps mask some of our own injury issues.  Going to need the offense to put up 30+ I think

Watching the season I hate to harp on it but can someone explain Jordan Love and AJ Dillon to me?

Wasting Rodgers last peak years. 

this team isn’t going anywhere with that defense. Same story every year.

Watching the season I hate to harp on it but can someone explain Jordan Love and AJ Dillon to me?

Love....no.  Can't explain other than they saw something in him and just thought he was too good to pass up.  Its the pick that still makes zero sense to me.

Dillon...they saw 2 RBs who have contracts expiring and knew they can't sign both.  And a big bodied RB that probably reminded LaFleur of Henry (eventhough he didn't really use Henry much in TN himself and the way his offenses uses backs is nothing like what Henry does either).

The Dillon pick does not bother me much at all.  Love does. Because of what was still there both at ILB and WR (and hell even Oline depth is never bad).

What a puke game...start out in control...have one pass happy drive where Rodgers is a touch off and people then start dropping balls...and the game turns around.  Then still have a chance with the ball in his hands at the end of the game.

Positivies...Davante is just too good.  Jamal Williams is a capable back and just fun to watch on and off the field.  Dillon ran nicely and showed he is at least 50/50 to catch the ball and run with it.  Didn't watch in detail enough to know of his  assignments were ones missed in the run game...but I like Kamal Martin...guy is athletic and sort of pops in the eye test of being out there to make plays.

Negatives...there has to be someone else who can make plays other than Davante in the pass game.  Rodgers seems to have eyes only for him at times and it leads to bad things.  When Rodgers is throwing in rhythm to whoever...things go well.  When its the wait wait wait scramble...its not going good these days.  

I don't know if its personnel or Pettine's scheme..but the inability to stop anything at all yesterday was awful.  Even getting them in long down and distance situations...it was always a nice pick up to set up shorter 3rd downs or picking up the first down on a 3rd down.  Tackling was again pathetic.  My issue that goes to Pettine...is what is the identity of this defense other than getting run over?  They don't tackle well...other than Jaire, they don't cover well...they aren't generating pressure at all...they can't stop the run.  The Smiths are nearly invisible (except when Preston is dropping into coverage and getting beat)...Clark has not made any impact plays since being back...the safeties, hell, I don't know what either of them do well right now.

I said the other day I worried about this game...though, it was more about our beat up secondary and if Jefferson and Thielen would torch us...but it was just all Cook all the time in that wind.  That we still weren't just up near the box most of the time knowing we were never going to get beat deep is just beyond me.

End Rant....Bears lost too...still topping the division.  Hope to get right on a short week against what is a very beat up 9ers team.

Agreed.  Such a waste of talent I really hope they trade Aaron so at least he has a legit crack at another ring.  To a team that actually tries to put a legit defense on the field.

Agreed.  Such a waste of talent I really hope they trade Aaron so at least he has a legit crack at another ring.  To a team that actually tries to put a legit defense on the field.
They haven't tried to put a defense on the field?  I would disagree...they have tried that quite a lot.  How many of their picks the past few years have been defense...the FA additions of the Smiths...the high dollar contract to keep Clark around.

I think there is plenty of criticism they haven't tried to give Rodger's weapons except with later round picks...but the reason it was later round picks is because they have put a ton of resources into the defense.

They haven't tried to put a defense on the field?  I would disagree...they have tried that quite a lot.  How many of their picks the past few years have been defense...the FA additions of the Smiths...the high dollar contract to keep Clark around.

I think there is plenty of criticism they haven't tried to give Rodger's weapons except with later round picks...but the reason it was later round picks is because they have put a ton of resources into the defense.
Sho their defense has been subpar since 2011.  That's 10 seasons of mediocre to outright bad defensive play.  Whatever they are trying or their philosophy is it isn't working.  We need results not just effort.

Sho their defense has been subpar since 2011.  That's 10 seasons of mediocre to outright bad defensive play.  Whatever they are trying or their philosophy is it isn't working.  We need results not just effort.
I know its bad...Im saying its bad...I have no issue saying that.  I just can't look at it and say they haven't tried to put a legit defense out there when they have been trying for years between draft and signing.

Yes...I want results too.  I also want results on offense.  I fear the poor defense yesterday is hiding the fact that the offense flat out sucked in the 2nd half as well.  The D did finally get some stops and gave the offense the ball back a couple times.  The offense scored once.

Neither side is getting the job done right now.  That is on Gute.

I know its bad...Im saying its bad...I have no issue saying that.  I just can't look at it and say they haven't tried to put a legit defense out there when they have been trying for years between draft and signing.

Yes...I want results too.  I also want results on offense.  I fear the poor defense yesterday is hiding the fact that the offense flat out sucked in the 2nd half as well.  The D did finally get some stops and gave the offense the ball back a couple times.  The offense scored once.

Neither side is getting the job done right now.  That is on Gute.
Agreed my trying comment was more based on this past offseason.  Last year their run defense was the demise of this team and they did nothing in the offseason to really address that so we shouldn't be shocked when the run defense sucks yet again.  But yeah they've done things in the past to try to help the defense but they just haven't worked.  I'm just tired of seeing the Packers defense get pushed around again and again year after year. 

Agreed my trying comment was more based on this past offseason.  Last year their run defense was the demise of this team and they did nothing in the offseason to really address that so we shouldn't be shocked when the run defense sucks yet again.  But yeah they've done things in the past to try to help the defense but they just haven't worked.  I'm just tired of seeing the Packers defense get pushed around again and again year after year. 
No doubt...when they first traded up in the first my brother and I were texting...my text to him was "Patrick Queen please".  His response was right after they took love...and if I posted his response here the language filter would go nuts.

Its hard to put a finger on some times too with the D.  Because I think they have some really nice pieces right now that they have not had in the past.  Jaire, King, Savage, Z. Smith, Clark...but they don't seem to be able to find those complimentary players to the bigger names as other teams do.  The other bodies on the line are just that...bodies.  Im a little encouraged about ILB as I like what I have seen from Barnes and now Martin...and should get Kirksey back (at least for a game or two before he is hurt again).   Blake had it right...it was less him and more the scheme on ILB.  Well the scheme isn't working either.  They can't stop the run...and they can't pressure the QB.

If its true that Houston's demand for Fuller is a 2nd...and Gute is the one unwilling to part with a 2nd for that...man, guy needs to be on the hottest of hot seats with everything else playing out like it is.

If its true that Houston's demand for Fuller is a 2nd...and Gute is the one unwilling to part with a 2nd for that...man, guy needs to be on the hottest of hot seats with everything else playing out like it is.
Wow. Getting Fuller could fix the narrative of the 2020 draft that management s the bed.

2 do nothing on D or WR again now after seeing the need in real time of the season is just unacceptable.
It’s like I said on FB, they're just like the Brewers. Perfectly content with being mediocre. Make the playoffs, keep raking in the money. And we the fans enable them by continuing to attend games, buy merch, watch on TV, etc. We should demand better....with our wallets. If they don’t care about winning, then why should we?

Wait - a 2nd for a guy in the last year of his contract?  No way.  Not at that price.
I think Fuller would have been a great add. But a 2nd for a 10 week rental is way too rich. They already have lot of their own own free agents to sign in a year when the salary cap is going to go down.  A 2nd rounder and its salary implications is more valuable

I think Fuller would have been a great add. But a 2nd for a 10 week rental is way too rich. They already have lot of their own own free agents to sign in a year when the salary cap is going to go down.  A 2nd rounder and its salary implications is more valuable
Yeah, they can use it to draft another backup tight end...

KingPrawn said:
That backup TE might allow them to resign one of their own free agents. And even that backup TE is going to give them more than Fuller will on another team.
How is burning another early-round pick to draft a tight end to replace backup TE Josiah Deguara who was drafted in the third round in 2020 to replace backup TE Jace Sternberger who was drafted in the third round in 2019 going to help them resign Bakhtiari or Aaron Jones or Kevin King or Corey Linsley?

How is burning another early-round pick to draft a tight end to replace backup TE Josiah Deguara who was drafted in the third round in 2020 to replace backup TE Jace Sternberger who was drafted in the third round in 2019 going to help them resign Bakhtiari or Aaron Jones or Kevin King or Corey Linsley?
Because it means they're not spending that money trying to re-sign Fuller.

1st, the obvious, resigning Fuller would be more expensive than signing a draft pick.

Second,  they would owe Fuller his $6 million due this year yet. By not owing that, it can be pushed into next years salary cap. A year when the cap is expected to go down drastically. That $6 mil will go a long way in resigning their own.

So not only are they losing the 2nd round pick they'd be losing the $6 mil of cap space. And in a year with a drastically reduced salary cap cheap rookie salaries are going to be even more valuable

It’s like I said on FB, they're just like the Brewers. Perfectly content with being mediocre. Make the playoffs, keep raking in the money. And we the fans enable them by continuing to attend games, buy merch, watch on TV, etc. We should demand better....with our wallets. If they don’t care about winning, then why should we?
Mediocre is an odd choice of words for a team that has completely dominated the NFC North the past 20 years and is probably among the top 5 most successful NFL franchises during that time.  After the Patriots, there are a small handful of teams including the Packers, and then there are 20-25 teams whose fans could only hope to support a team that's had the incredible success we've had the past couple decades.

The team is 6-2 and sits just behind the Saints and Bucs as favored to win the NFC this season.  "Don't care about winning"?  I get that sports fans prefer to complain about their teams more than anything, but this take I'm seeing from Packer fans these past few weeks is bizarre.

Mediocre is an odd choice of words for a team that has completely dominated the NFC North the past 20 years and is probably among the top 5 most successful NFL franchises during that time.  After the Patriots, there are a small handful of teams including the Packers, and then there are 20-25 teams whose fans could only hope to support a team that's had the incredible success we've had the past couple decades.

The team is 6-2 and sits just behind the Saints and Bucs as favored to win the NFC this season.  "Don't care about winning"?  I get that sports fans prefer to complain about their teams more than anything, but this take I'm seeing from Packer fans these past few weeks is bizarre.
OK, what if I said that they're content with just making the playoffs.  How about that?

OK, what if I said that they're content with just making the playoffs.  How about that?
They've played in 4 of the last 10 NFC Championship games.  I doubt any other NFC team has played 5.  I'm not a good stats guy, but would guess that if we look at just about any metric of success in the NFL, the Packers are going to be top 5 or very close to it.  I get that fans always want the team to do more, and hate the long-term outlook.  But the Packers success since Ron Wolf took over has been based on drafting for the future and only rarely taking a shot at a high-profile vet signing.  I remember a couple years ago when fans though Davante Adams was a bust and should be cut.  The same was said about Jaire and Rashan Gary, both of whom are now solid NFL starters. We can name a dozen or more players with similar stories.  Fans have short memories.

They've played in 4 of the last 10 NFC Championship games.  I doubt any other NFC team has played 5.  I'm not a good stats guy, but would guess that if we look at just about any metric of success in the NFL, the Packers are going to be top 5 or very close to it.  I get that fans always want the team to do more, and hate the long-term outlook.  But the Packers success since Ron Wolf took over has been based on drafting for the future and only rarely taking a shot at a high-profile vet signing.  I remember a couple years ago when fans though Davante Adams was a bust and should be cut.  The same was said about Jaire and Rashan Gary, both of whom are now solid NFL starters. We can name a dozen or more players with similar stories.  Fans have short memories.
They've had back-to-back first ballot Hall of Fame QBs.  Over those 28 seasons, they have TWO championships.  That's all that matters IMO.  I'd trade away all of those other playoff appearances for a couple more titles.

Users who are viewing this thread