What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green/Graves on Cardinals Offseason Plans (1 Viewer)

SammyJankis

Footballguy
Over the past couple of days on Phoenix Sports talk radio, Dennis Green did an on-air interview and Graves spoke with Mike Jurecki off-air.

Of note during Green's interview. He said:

- That the Cardinals will sign a free agent O-lineman.

- That the Cardinals would likely take another O-lineman on the first day. When asked if he would take an O-lineman at #10 said something like "Yes, but would have to be the best player available." Took this to mean that he didn't think any O-lineman would be worth the #10 pick and that was why he specifically said "first day" instead of "first pick" with regard to drafting O-line.

- Wants to get Kurt Warner resigned. (Didn't talk about McCown. Perception is that he is as good as gone.)

- Said that the Cardinals would evlaute all FA RBs, but strongly suggested that they would not spend big money on a RB.

- Said that the run game and stopping the run are high priorities.

- Said that D-line was a priority. Wants AZ to be the best blitzing team in the league.

- Loves the depth at QB, OL and TE in this draft.

Of note of what Graves said (by proxy through Jurecki):

- Priority 1 this offseason is resigning Warner.

- Priority 2 was signing free agent lineman.

It was also reported that the Cards view Randel-El as a priority to be their #3 WR, but my feeling is that there is little chance this will happen. Randel-El probably will be way too expensive in light of his super bowl performance. On top of that, he isn't going to want to come to AZ to play WR3 if he can go elsewhere to be WR2.

On another pure speculation note: Lendale White, Deanglo Williams and Jay Cutler's names have been tied to the Cards pick a great deal lately. However, a new name has been picking up steam in the rumor department: Vernon Davis. Cards need a TE badly and Kiper said that Davis (take it for what its worth) could be a better prospect than Winslow.

What to make of him saying they won't spend money on a FA RB? Just making stuff up or does he actually mean it?

What to make of him saying they won't spend money on a FA RB?  Just making stuff up or does he actually mean it?
The original post said BIG money, which I guess would rule out Edge or Alexander. Doesn't mean another cheaper RB won't be considered, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will make me sick if we go into the 06 season with the same backfield.

"Said that the run game and stopping the run are high prioritie"

How does he plan to make this happen without spending the cake on a RB. With a free agent O Lineman and a 1st day pick olineman????

New stadium= you need to win more games= Get a top teir Rb in there. Stop being such cheap asses.

The fact that they are thinking TE mankes me sick. If memory serves me correctly (wich it does) Their passing game was good and Run Game worst in the league. That makes sense to grab a TE with our first pick.

Over the past couple of days on Phoenix Sports talk radio, Dennis Green did an on-air interview and Graves spoke with Mike Jurecki off-air.

- That the Cardinals would likely take another O-lineman on the first day. When asked if he would take an O-lineman at #10 said something like "Yes, but would have to be the best player available." Took this to mean that he didn't think any O-lineman would be worth the #10 pick and that was why he specifically said "first day" instead of "first pick" with regard to drafting O-line.

- Wants to get Kurt Warner resigned. (Didn't talk about McCown. Perception is that he is as good as gone.)

- Said that the Cardinals would evlaute all FA RBs, but strongly suggested that they would not spend big money on a RB.

- Said that D-line was a priority. Wants AZ to be the best blitzing team in the league.

It was also reported that the Cards view Randel-El as a priority to be their #3 WR, but my feeling is that there is little chance this will happen. Randel-El probably will be way too expensive in light of his super bowl performance. On top of that, he isn't going to want to come to AZ to play WR3 if he can go elsewhere to be WR2.

On another pure speculation note: Lendale White, Deanglo Williams and Jay Cutler's names have been tied to the Cards pick a great deal lately. However, a new name has been picking up steam in the rumor department: Vernon Davis. Cards need a TE badly and Kiper said that Davis (take it for what its worth) could be a better prospect than Winslow.
You mean that amazing 3 catches for 22 yards? :o As for his 1 good play, I highly doubt the duck of a pass will increase his overall value.

What to make of him saying they won't spend money on a FA RB? Just making stuff up or does he actually mean it?
Denny was being cryptic throughout the interview, likely to avoid any tampering and also to not tip his hand too much. He was asked if he was going to look at any of the big ticket RBs on the free agent market and his response was along the lines of "Well, we're going to look at everyone on the free agent market, but at the end of the day it doesn't make sense to commit that much of the 'pie' to the position."

Jurecki has reported the same thing: That the Cardinals aren't looking to spend big at the RB position.

How does he plan to make this happen without spending the cake on a RB. With a free agent O Lineman and a 1st day pick olineman????

New stadium= you need to win more games= Get a top teir Rb in there. Stop being such cheap asses.

The fact that they are thinking TE mankes me sick. If memory serves me correctly (wich it does) Their passing game was good and Run Game worst in the league. That makes sense to grab a TE with our first pick.
Agree to some degree. But I think Denny is just saying that the Cards would see more of an impact from throwing money at a Steve Hutchinson as opposed to Shaun Alexander.Also to clarify a bit of what Graves said. Jurecki said that the Cardinals would go after at least one free agent O-lineman.

You mean that amazing 3 catches for 22 yards? :o As for his 1 good play, I highly doubt the duck of a pass will increase his overall value.
Rumors were circulating that Randel El was topping several team's wish lists in free agency before the super bowl. I think his stock only went up since then. Randel El was a big part of the Steelers Super Bowl win and teams tend to remember Super Bowl performances when reaching for their checkbook. See: Desmond Howard, and Dexter Jackson.

How does he plan to make this happen without spending the cake on a RB.  With a free agent O Lineman and a 1st day pick olineman????

Agree to some degree. But I think Denny is just saying that the Cards would see more of an impact from throwing money at a Steve Hutchinson as opposed to Shaun Alexander.Also to clarify a bit of what Graves said. Jurecki said that the Cardinals would go after at least one free agent O-lineman.
It sounds like they may have already decided with OL to target in FA. He may have also already identified with RB to go for (Deshaun Foster anyone?).

without upgrading their OL, it doesn't matter who they put back there...

conversely, there may be some FA RB talent that can help, even if not from the A-list... lets face it, a guy like a-train, who has sort of become a journeyman but has some talent, would likely be an upgrade over the likes of shipp & arrington... & he would come cheap...

i realize some folks have their heart set on a stud RB like edge or somebody from draft... but it wouldn't necessarily be a disaster if they selected vernon davis... kiper said he may be the most athletically gifted TE he has graded in the past several decades... he could be a more impressive physical specimen & better overall prospect that kellen winslow... i realize he has had his problems, but before the 2004 draft, some scouts were calling winslow the top TE prospect EVER.

what if you could plug antonio gates into a passing attack that ALREADY has fitzgerald & boldin... that could be AWESOME.

What to make of him saying they won't spend money on a FA RB?  Just making stuff up or does he actually mean it?
Denny was being cryptic throughout the interview, likely to avoid any tampering and also to not tip his hand too much. He was asked if he was going to look at any of the big ticket RBs on the free agent market and his response was along the lines of "Well, we're going to look at everyone on the free agent market, but at the end of the day it doesn't make sense to commit that much of the 'pie' to the position."

Jurecki has reported the same thing: That the Cardinals aren't looking to spend big at the RB position.
I would love to get Hutch but im not sure we can land him. I would hope they do bring in new talent at the RB position. Is there any chance of Rickey Williams? The passing game is set and I truely believe Warner is good enough to go far with the recievers he has. The Defense is getting better and I believe with a good running attack we may see what we hoped for last year.I live in Oregon so am not up to date with the buzz flying around AZ.

Don't forget about Ricky Williams. The 'Fins were supposedly showcasing him last year to trade him this year. He's got a low cap number, sticking with Green's not spending big $'s on RB, and it could give them another year to school JJ and see if he can be an NFL back. Hell, they could include JJ in a trade for RW if Saban thinks he can turn him around

Sammy is thier any talk of Rickey in AZ?
I haven't heard anything out here linking Ricky Williams to the Cardinals, and I've been listening to most of the sports talk shows out here the past few weeks.There has been talk of Edge, but not RW

There have been talks in ESPN's insider information of the Cardinals making a deal to bring in DeShaun Foster, as Foster is from the West Coast and would like to return to the West Coast, and supposedly would even take less money to come to the West Coast.

The other teams on the West Coast (SF, Oak, Sea, SD) are not believed to be in need of a RB, making Arizona a possible destination

Panthers | Foster's status for 2006 still unknown

Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:25:49 -0800

Jenna Frye, of the Associated Press, reports the status of Carolina Panthers RB DeShaun Foster for 2006 is still unknown. Foster is set to become an unrestricted free agent in March. The Panthers maintain they want to keep him, but Foster has been less committal. He's a California native with a longing for the West Coast and may be willing to take less money for a chance to play closer to home.

Denny Greens last 1st round RB?

Micheal Bennett. F/A running back? YES

Speculation at best, but I have learned not to be surprised by anything Denny does.

See Pete Kendall.

Top tier RB? When was the last time that a team with a top-10 RB won the superbowl? (And no, Corey Dillon is not, imo at that level). You need a great running game, but you don't need a great runner. This year's playoffs featured 8 of 12 teams who had RBs who were drafted after the first round or came to the team as second-hand goods. I think a good O-line, and even a TE who can block and catch, does more for your running game than an awesome back.

Sammy is thier any talk of Rickey in AZ?
AZCards is spot on. In terms of the rumor mill, local sports talk radio, etc. not a word about Ricky (though I have heard fans inquire about it and debate it.)

How? By taking DeAngelo at No. 10, that's how.

I would be excited about that. I also like the Foster talk.

I would be much less excited if Cards went into the season with the same backfield or if they signed someone like Michael Bennett.

Obviously the o-line is an issue.

During the season, the Cards used more Cs than any team I can recall. They also used a slew of TEs. I think it's fair to say they'll have a new C and TE in 06.

I could see them going after Ahman Green. He could be resonably priced and fits their needs. He would be perfect for a couple years.

You guys are assuming AZ will throw or has thrown in the towel on Arrington. I don't believe I've read anything that supports that notion.

Users who are viewing this thread