What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Griffin to miss 2013? - Probably not (1 Viewer)

Frank Gore IIRC has two reconstructed knees from his NCAA MIA days. He is now the all time leading rusher of the 49ers.

'TobiasFunke said:
'Mcnabbfan said:
I think the one item everybody is overlooking is the fact that the majority of rookies make their biggest jump from year 1 to year 2. Griffin now has to spend this offseason rehabbing instead of working wtih the team through OTA's and improving his game. Missing this important time is going to hurt him when he does come back next year. Defenses will make adjustments to contain him and i just don't see him being a top 10 QB next year. in a re-drafter, I wouldn't touch him and if I owned him in a Dynasty I would see what i could get. People are trying to compare him to what AD did this year post ACL but AD was an already established veteran that knew the offense. As i stated earlier, this severely slows RGIII's growth as a player. As a football fan, Shanny, Snider , and the Redskins in whole robbed us of something special. As an Eagles fan, it just gives us a better chance of competing.
To me it just sounds like you're an Eagles fan trying to make himself feel better about his team's prospects vs a division rival.Griffin is 22 and by all accounts a very hard worker. Having to rehab an injury for 6-12 months isn't going to "severely slow his growth as a player." Not only is it a relatively short time frame, but he's also a year ahead of the curve in one sense because he left college with a year of eligibility remaining. Plus it's not like the rehab prevents him from doing film review and doing other things to improve his game.There is plenty of reason for concern about Griffin's future here, but IMO all of that concern is physical. I don't have an iota of concern from the mental/developmental side. That seems silly to me.
Agree. Physically, he won't hold up. I expect his games played to be similar to Mike Vick. Dynamic when he plays, but you better have a good backup.
Please dont compare RG3 to Vick. RG3 is light-years ahead of Vick in every sense of the word
Light years? Vick was just as good as RGIII early in his career, and just as good as of two years ago. Maybe the last couple years he's regressed because he's getting up there in age, but comparing Vick to RGIII is very valid and relevant. Both are dynamic when they play, and both will miss games every year because of their playing styles.
When did Vick have his first concussion and major knee injuries?
He was referring to talent, not injury

'TobiasFunke said:
'Mcnabbfan said:
I think the one item everybody is overlooking is the fact that the majority of rookies make their biggest jump from year 1 to year 2. Griffin now has to spend this offseason rehabbing instead of working wtih the team through OTA's and improving his game. Missing this important time is going to hurt him when he does come back next year. Defenses will make adjustments to contain him and i just don't see him being a top 10 QB next year. in a re-drafter, I wouldn't touch him and if I owned him in a Dynasty I would see what i could get. People are trying to compare him to what AD did this year post ACL but AD was an already established veteran that knew the offense. As i stated earlier, this severely slows RGIII's growth as a player. As a football fan, Shanny, Snider , and the Redskins in whole robbed us of something special. As an Eagles fan, it just gives us a better chance of competing.
To me it just sounds like you're an Eagles fan trying to make himself feel better about his team's prospects vs a division rival.Griffin is 22 and by all accounts a very hard worker. Having to rehab an injury for 6-12 months isn't going to "severely slow his growth as a player." Not only is it a relatively short time frame, but he's also a year ahead of the curve in one sense because he left college with a year of eligibility remaining. Plus it's not like the rehab prevents him from doing film review and doing other things to improve his game.There is plenty of reason for concern about Griffin's future here, but IMO all of that concern is physical. I don't have an iota of concern from the mental/developmental side. That seems silly to me.
Agree. Physically, he won't hold up. I expect his games played to be similar to Mike Vick. Dynamic when he plays, but you better have a good backup.
Please dont compare RG3 to Vick. RG3 is light-years ahead of Vick in every sense of the word
Light years? Vick was just as good as RGIII early in his career, and just as good as of two years ago. Maybe the last couple years he's regressed because he's getting up there in age, but comparing Vick to RGIII is very valid and relevant. Both are dynamic when they play, and both will miss games every year because of their playing styles.
Vick and Griffin may have the same talent but Griffin is a much more skilled passer.

'TobiasFunke said:
'Mcnabbfan said:
Vick and Griffin may have the same talent but Griffin is a much more skilled passer.
I was actually referring to injury history. Both will take unnecessary hit and aren't big guy so they will have a higher risk of injury. That's why I said their games played would be similar. Didn't really want to compare their football IQ or skills because it's irrelevant if you can't stay healthy.

'TobiasFunke said:
'Mcnabbfan said:
I was actually referring to injury history. Both will take unnecessary hit and aren't big guy so they will have a higher risk of injury. That's why I said their games played would be similar. Didn't really want to compare their football IQ or skills because it's irrelevant if you can't stay healthy.
Yes, you were. I can only assume RJV was referring to talent not injury (or his comment doesn't make sense about RGIII being "light years ahead" of Vick), and that's who I was replying to.

Putting aside for the moment the physical obstacles Griffin is going to face, I think something that is being over-looked is the changes that are going to have to be made to the system he plays in. I don't think you can have Griffin run the ball 120 times, like he did this year. He'll fall apart. He's going to have to transition into a more traditional offense, or, at least, a higher % of traditional offensive plays. What % of RGIII's productivity/special-ness do you lose by trying to protect his long-term viability?
This is really the only worthwhile discussion. People talking about Earnest Graham and Knowshon Moreno not coming back as strong after injury... really? Did they look special before? It doesn't matter, but Moreno looks about as good as he ever did, but people confuse his mediocrity with decreased performance due to raised expectations of a 1st round pick. I think Griffin will see a negligible decrease in athletic ability over the long run (probably hindered a bit early next year), but like The Comedian says, they can't run him 120 times and expect him to stay healthy. Even legitimate running backs get hurt. QBs already have the biggest target on their back, so running just adds to their injury chances.What do we know? He was throwing for 8.1 ypa with a 65% comp %, but on just 26 passes a game. The RBs ran the ball 377 times, the QBs 121 times, WRs 18 times. There were 442 passes. This team is very close to 50/50 on the play calling. If Griffin stays in more then I suspect defenses will respond by sending more guys into coverage and his comp % will go down which will drop his ypa. But by running less, they'll probably get more plays off. I count 958 offensive plays from the totals above. He will still run SOME, though, so it won't be a drastic increase. I don't expect them to go away from the RB rushing at all next year, so I think a realistic, yet somewhat optimistic split would be 525 passes and 60 rushes (if you extrapolate 14.75 games to 16 games he was on a pace for 427 and 128).525 x 7.8 = 4095 yds passing60 x 7 = 420 yds rushingTDs can be pretty volatile, so it's hard to predict that but his total this year was pretty good (20 PTD). Being the eternal skeptic, I'd say he hits double digit INTs next year with 500+ attempts and more coverage, but I'm sure people will disagree. Probably the same people who thought Freeman would be able to repeat his TD/INT ratio. Either way, I'd temper expectation for fantasy totals next year. I suspect if he's starting week 1 that his ADP will be several rounds higher than I'd be willing to pay for a guy who will struggle to hit 4000 yards passing and likely be under 500 rushing. I actually think he and Russell Wilson will be a toss up next year. I think Griffin will perform as a low end QB1 on a PPG basis at best unless he runs the ball close to 100 times or the defense collapses and he has to throw the ball over 550 times.Note: I just noticed FBG stats and yahoo stats differ. FBG had 118 rushes while yahoo has 120. Passing attempts differ by 1.

'FF Ninja said:
Putting aside for the moment the physical obstacles Griffin is going to face, I think something that is being over-looked is the changes that are going to have to be made to the system he plays in. I don't think you can have Griffin run the ball 120 times, like he did this year. He'll fall apart. He's going to have to transition into a more traditional offense, or, at least, a higher % of traditional offensive plays. What % of RGIII's productivity/special-ness do you lose by trying to protect his long-term viability?
This is really the only worthwhile discussion. People talking about Earnest Graham and Knowshon Moreno not coming back as strong after injury... really? Did they look special before? It doesn't matter, but Moreno looks about as good as he ever did, but people confuse his mediocrity with decreased performance due to raised expectations of a 1st round pick. I think Griffin will see a negligible decrease in athletic ability over the long run (probably hindered a bit early next year), but like The Comedian says, they can't run him 120 times and expect him to stay healthy. Even legitimate running backs get hurt. QBs already have the biggest target on their back, so running just adds to their injury chances.What do we know? He was throwing for 8.1 ypa with a 65% comp %, but on just 26 passes a game. The RBs ran the ball 377 times, the QBs 121 times, WRs 18 times. There were 442 passes. This team is very close to 50/50 on the play calling. If Griffin stays in more then I suspect defenses will respond by sending more guys into coverage and his comp % will go down which will drop his ypa. But by running less, they'll probably get more plays off. I count 958 offensive plays from the totals above. He will still run SOME, though, so it won't be a drastic increase. I don't expect them to go away from the RB rushing at all next year, so I think a realistic, yet somewhat optimistic split would be 525 passes and 60 rushes (if you extrapolate 14.75 games to 16 games he was on a pace for 427 and 128).525 x 7.8 = 4095 yds passing60 x 7 = 420 yds rushingTDs can be pretty volatile, so it's hard to predict that but his total this year was pretty good (20 PTD). Being the eternal skeptic, I'd say he hits double digit INTs next year with 500+ attempts and more coverage, but I'm sure people will disagree. Probably the same people who thought Freeman would be able to repeat his TD/INT ratio. Either way, I'd temper expectation for fantasy totals next year. I suspect if he's starting week 1 that his ADP will be several rounds higher than I'd be willing to pay for a guy who will struggle to hit 4000 yards passing and likely be under 500 rushing. I actually think he and Russell Wilson will be a toss up next year. I think Griffin will perform as a low end QB1 on a PPG basis at best unless he runs the ball close to 100 times or the defense collapses and he has to throw the ball over 550 times.Note: I just noticed FBG stats and yahoo stats differ. FBG had 118 rushes while yahoo has 120. Passing attempts differ by 1.
:nerd: I concur.

Adam Schefter has reported that the NFL schedule makers contacted the Skins to get insight on how bad RG III was/is injured to determine whether or not to put the Skins on national televised broadcasts.

It seems they won't be, err at least early next year because their meal-ticket won't be on the field and the TV honchos want that big-ticket draw on the field.

We haven't heard much on this subject so this is a nice updaet.

Interesting story and Schefty states it is a near 'certainty' that RG III starts next season on the PUP list.

My link

Report: NFL asked Redskins about RG3 injury return for primetime games

By Will Brinson | Senior Blogger

February 3, 2013 12:37 pm ET

I watched Robert Griffin III saunter down the red carpet of the NFL Honors show on Saturday night and he certainly didn't look like he was dealing with a bad limp. And I believe He'll be back in time for the 2013 NFL season at least at some point.. The only question is when and that's a question the NFL's reportedly been asking the Redskins.

The league, in attempting to put together an idea of the 2013 primetime schedule, has inquired to the Redskins as to when they think RG3 will return, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Sunday morning.

The Redskins are a hot ticket with Griffin under center ... and not so much if he's not playing. (No offense, Kirk Cousins.) Griffin expects to be back and to be "better" he said on Saturday.

"You won't see the same Robert Griffin," RG3 said. "You'll see a better Robert Griffin."

Griffin's the type of dude who makes you think he can return faster than a normal person. He's a dedicated athlete and he's also been through this before, tearing his ACL at Baylor and returning for the start of the next season.

But for the purpose of ratings, the NFL doesn't want to toss the Redskins on a primetime game early in the season and have Griffin sit out as a result of not being able to recover from his injury.

Schefter also reports that it's a "near certainty" that Griffin begins Redskins training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

We saw this with Adrian Peterson in 2012 and he was still able to return for Week 1. So it doesn't rule anything out when it comes to RG3's ability to play early next year.

And once we see the NFL's schedule for 2013, perhaps we'll have a hint as to how the Redskins think he's progressing during his rehab.

Adam Schefter has reported that the NFL schedule makers contacted the Skins to get insight on how bad RG III was/is injured to determine whether or not to put the Skins on national televised broadcasts.

It seems they won't be, err at least early next year because their meal-ticket won't be on the field and the TV honchos want that big-ticket draw on the field.

We haven't heard much on this subject so this is a nice updaet.

Interesting story and Schefty states it is a near 'certainty' that RG III starts next season on the PUP list.

My link

Report: NFL asked Redskins about RG3 injury return for primetime games

By Will Brinson | Senior Blogger

February 3, 2013 12:37 pm ET

I watched Robert Griffin III saunter down the red carpet of the NFL Honors show on Saturday night and he certainly didn't look like he was dealing with a bad limp. And I believe He'll be back in time for the 2013 NFL season at least at some point.. The only question is when and that's a question the NFL's reportedly been asking the Redskins.

The league, in attempting to put together an idea of the 2013 primetime schedule, has inquired to the Redskins as to when they think RG3 will return, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Sunday morning.

The Redskins are a hot ticket with Griffin under center ... and not so much if he's not playing. (No offense, Kirk Cousins.) Griffin expects to be back and to be "better" he said on Saturday.

"You won't see the same Robert Griffin," RG3 said. "You'll see a better Robert Griffin."

Griffin's the type of dude who makes you think he can return faster than a normal person. He's a dedicated athlete and he's also been through this before, tearing his ACL at Baylor and returning for the start of the next season.

But for the purpose of ratings, the NFL doesn't want to toss the Redskins on a primetime game early in the season and have Griffin sit out as a result of not being able to recover from his injury.

Schefter also reports that it's a "near certainty" that Griffin begins Redskins training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

We saw this with Adrian Peterson in 2012 and he was still able to return for Week 1. So it doesn't rule anything out when it comes to RG3's ability to play early next year.

And once we see the NFL's schedule for 2013, perhaps we'll have a hint as to how the Redskins think he's progressing during his rehab.
How is your statement "Schefty states it is a near 'certainty' that RG III starts next season on the PUP list" equal "near certainty that Griffin begins Redskins training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list"Do you work for rotoworld?

A lot better than the "well he walked good at the NFL Awards show last night" talk that a few people have used :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread