What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gronk broken forearm? (2 Viewers)

I'm too lazy to look it up, but does anyone have stats on Hernandez when playing without Gronk? I'm not sure how often that's happened, but I suspect that a lot of Hernandez's success is because of all the attention Gronk gets. I'd like to see if the numbers support that.
Because he never has.

Was dumb, but the circumstances are pretty irrelevant. Hundred times out of one hundred Gronk is gonna be in on every special teams play regardless of the lead or game situation.Hes one of their best special teams players.
Circumstance is completely relevant. It was the 59th point, pretty silly to risk a player uselessly. He shouldn't have been out there for the TD either. Case in point, he's out with a broken arm.

Those who bought low on Hernandez...You gotta be happy.
Not necessarily. Or at least not as much. He's still gonna have a higher chance of re-injuring it again like he did in Seattle and Ds won't have to worry about defending Gronk AND Hernandez so he'll see much more attention than he would if BB hadn't decided to roll the dice.

Those who bought low on Hernandez...You gotta be happy.
Not necessarily. Or at least not as much. He's still gonna have a higher chance of re-injuring it again like he did in Seattle and Ds won't have to worry about defending Gronk AND Hernandez so he'll see much more attention than he would if BB hadn't decided to roll the dice.
That's where I was coming from.Although Hernandez is more of an H-back, so they can put him in the backfield and put him in motion to try to get him some space.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but does anyone have stats on Hernandez when playing without Gronk? I'm not sure how often that's happened, but I suspect that a lot of Hernandez's success is because of all the attention Gronk gets. I'd like to see if the numbers support that.
Because he never has.
Gronkowski has never missed a game? Hmmm.
I assume these are right. Shows him playing 16, 16, and 9 games.(Didn't factor in today's game yet) In the playoffs it shows 1 in 2010, and 3 in 2011.http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13229/rob-gronkowski

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate seeing a guy get hurt and also hate losing a top TE, but there is a karmic quality about it that I appreciate.

From what I can remember he plays just as well without Gronk as with him.If he could get over his ridiculous stone hands.

Looking through game logs I can't find an occurrence but I could have sworn Gronk missed or came out of a game or two early while Hernandez was healthy. Last years superbowl maybe?

Well this is interesting then, he isn't the greatest blocker. Honestly hoping to see a lot of Fells and Shiancoe while Gronk is out.

I don't get the hate. Gronk was on the sidelines for the TD drive. He came back in for the XP. People saying he shouldn't have... How many players can you name that have gotten hurt on XPs? And more importantly, how many teams do you think have 1st and 2nd team XP squads? It's not like you just start sending in the reserve XP squad once you're ahead by a certain amount.

Gronk's injury is unfortunate. I own him in more leagues than not, and this is a blow. I'm not going to start mindlessly lashing out at everyone involved about it, though. It's a freak injury. There's no more blame to be assigned than if he'd gotten hurt on a game-winning kneel down.

People pillorying BB for keeping him in for a blow out realize Gronkowski is part of the PAT team so that is why he was on the field. I don't believe he was in for the actual drive.

So you can excoriate BB for having a starter on the PAT team, but I'd imagine every team in he league always trots out their standard PAT team regardless of score. It was a freak thing. In fact, the odds are probably greater that you'd have a locked PAT or FG by having inferior blockers/players on that unit instead of using your starting players.

I don't get the hate. Gronk was on the sidelines for the TD drive. He came back in for the XP. People saying he shouldn't have... How many players can you name that have gotten hurt on XPs? And more importantly, how many teams do you think have 1st and 2nd team XP squads? It's not like you just start sending in the reserve XP squad once you're ahead by a certain amount.

Gronk's injury is unfortunate. I own him in more leagues than not, and this is a blow. I'm not going to start mindlessly lashing out at everyone involved about it, though. It's a freak injury. There's no more blame to be assigned than if he'd gotten hurt on a game-winning kneel down.
:goodposting: Good point.

People pillorying BB for keeping him in for a blow out realize Gronkowski is part of the PAT team so that is why he was on the field. I don't believe he was in for the actual drive. So you can excoriate BB for having a starter on the PAT team, but I'd imagine every team in he league always trots out their standard PAT team regardless of score. It was a freak thing. In fact, the odds are probably greater that you'd have a locked PAT or FG by having inferior blockers/players on that unit instead of using your starting players.
Well, a blocked PAT because of an inferior player could've really cost them the game tonight!! Thank goodness they didn't get anyone else some PAT experience out there. Gotta make sure the superstud of the league is in there, just in case the Colts make it to 58 points in the last 4 minute.seta: I get your point, but really no reason to risk a player like that. Brady isn't out there holding.

People pillorying BB for keeping him in for a blow out realize Gronkowski is part of the PAT team so that is why he was on the field. I don't believe he was in for the actual drive. So you can excoriate BB for having a starter on the PAT team, but I'd imagine every team in he league always trots out their standard PAT team regardless of score. It was a freak thing. In fact, the odds are probably greater that you'd have a locked PAT or FG by having inferior blockers/players on that unit instead of using your starting players.
Well, a blocked PAT because of an inferior player could've really cost them the game tonight!! Thank goodness they didn't get anyone else some PAT experience out there. Gotta make sure the superstud of the league is in there, just in case the Colts make it to 58 points in the last 4 minute.seta: I get your point, but really no reason to risk a player like that. Brady isn't out there holding.
I tend to agree with you; I'd rather the team sacrifice some perceived quality on ST by not involving key starters, but BB got his start in special teams and it's a passion of his and the Patriiots usually have a very good ST unit so I doubt he's going to change his philosophy any time soon.

He's having surgery today. Fantasy wise forget about it. Coming from a Pats homer, not a huge loss. Hernandez can manage decent numbers and after seeing Edelman explode yesterday, that's just one more weapon.

FWIW: Drayton Florence had the same injury in Week 2 and was able to return to action for the first time today. :shrug:
what is this...week 11? so a 9 week time-table? That would put Gronk back in time for the Super Bowl, right?
He'll be fully healed on his couch with Brady sitting next to him saying "Pass the popcorn...how many times do you think Julius Peppers will sack Schaub?"

I'm a big Pats fan and this is totally inexcusable. If Belichek treated himself as if he were one of his players, he'd fire himself on Monday. As coach of the team you completely screwed the entire team's season with horrible horrible decision making. Thanks Coach. In the future, when you say "Do your job", look in the fucccing mirror first.
Their season will be fine. They'll walk into the playoffs, Gronk or no Gronk, and then he'll be back by the time the games are mattering again.
Maybe, but now they may be playing on the road in week 2 of the playoffs.
As opposed to before this week when they were a lock for a top 2 seed?

Has anyone seen the replay, what actually happened? XP I know now, but how?

Belichick - have to respect him, have to. Hey maybe a team attitude where the stars are in on extra points and finish out games is part of what makes these Pats so great. Team attitude and chemistry is very important and can even supercede the importance of talent. Also, special teams counts too, get your best athletes in there.

About the replacements, doesn't NE carry a lot of TEs and almost treat the 2 TE positions as different? Just because Shancoe came in for Hernandez doesn't mean he will fill in for Gronkowski does it?

I know of a player who got hurt, his name is Gronk.To agree that the star player should be in on the extra point while up that much, shows someones lack of understanding of the game, IMHO.

I know of a player who got hurt, his name is Gronk.To agree that the star player should be in on the extra point while up that much, shows someones lack of understanding of the game, IMHO.
Tony Dungy must not get it
Coaches have 45 active players each game. They don't have a "second team'' of the point-after-try unit. The PAT is one of the most risk-free plays in football. Rodney Harrison, the former Patriots safety now in the NBC studio with me on Sunday nights, didn't get taken off the kickoff team in routs. And Tony Dungy, who coached the Colts and Bucs, told me: "Jeff Saturday was my right guard on the PAT team, and I'd never think of taking him off. All my years in football, I never heard anyone, never heard Chuck Noll saying, 'Well, we better get Jack Ham off the PAT team.' It's not something I'd question."
Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/11/19/week-11/index.html#ixzz2Cg3sAdfA

He's having surgery today. Fantasy wise forget about it. Coming from a Pats homer, not a huge loss. Hernandez can manage decent numbers and after seeing Edelman explode yesterday, that's just one more weapon.
You're kidding yourself.
Another jealous Pats hater? :) Yes it sucks..but Hernandez can be just as effective.
Instead of having Gronk & Hernandez, the Pats will have to play Hernandez & Crumpler/whoever. It's a huge blow to the team.

You're kidding yourself.
Another jealous Pats hater? :) Yes it sucks..but Hernandez can be just as effective.
Yeah.... i'm a Pats homer as well and you're crazy. Hernandez is a really really good TE as well, but there is a reason why Gronk is THE new england redzone guy.... and it's not his mad dancing skills.

6'6" vs 6'1"

5" of height in the redzone is a HUGE advantage. No way to overcome that loss.

Wouldn't fade that offense or anything, but it's going to get more difficult now that they don't have a single player capable of stretching the D or who demands a double-team.

I'm really hoping he comes back Week 15 if he returns in time to play this year. Having to make a start/sit decision his first week back for FF title games would really suck.

You're kidding yourself.
Instead of having Gronk & Hernandez, the Pats will have to play Hernandez & Crumpler/whoever. It's a huge blow to the team.
You just lost all credibility by saying Crumpler. A huge blow to a 7-3 team that's basically won the division already? If he was out for the playoffs, yes HUGE blow.

You're kidding yourself.
You just lost all credibility by saying Crumpler. A huge blow to a 7-3 team that's basically won the division already? If he was out for the playoffs, yes HUGE blow.
So losing your record setting TE for 4-6 weeks or possibly longer isn't a huge blow. Ok, got it.

You're kidding yourself.
Looking on the bright side for Pat's homers, Gronk hasn't been playing fully healthy this year. So this time off may be a blessing in disguise if he can come back healthy for the playoffs.

You're kidding yourself.
So losing your record setting TE for 4-6 weeks or possibly longer isn't a huge blow. Ok, got it.
When you have Welker, Lloyd, Hernandez, and Ridley its not as bad of a blow. And no one knows an exact timetable for how long he will be out. Ty Law broke his forearm, had surgery and was playing 2 weeks later.

You're kidding yourself.
When you have Welker, Lloyd, Hernandez, and Ridley its not as bad of a blow. And no one knows an exact timetable for how long he will be out. Ty Law broke his forearm, had surgery and was playing 2 weeks later.
I am actually with you on this. Losing Brady? Death. Losing a key lineman...ouch. Losing Wilfork...that will leave a bad mark. If the Pats are plentiful in one area, it is play makers. Sure, they would probably have preferred ANY other play maker to lose, but they can compensate. Brady is adept at finding the mismatches, even if they are just subtle. Honestly, I think it was 10x worse when the Jets lost Holmes versus the Pats losing Gronk, and Holmes is not 1/4 the player Gronk is (and I'm a Jets fan). Maybe a jaded Jets fan, where it seems all Bradycheck touches turns to gold, but I think they will be just fine unless this lingers into the championship game.

I'm a big Pats fan and this is totally inexcusable. If Belichek treated himself as if he were one of his players, he'd fire himself on Monday. As coach of the team you completely screwed the entire team's season with horrible horrible decision making. Thanks Coach. In the future, when you say "Do your job", look in the fucccing mirror first.
Their season will be fine. They'll walk into the playoffs, Gronk or no Gronk, and then he'll be back by the time the games are mattering again.
Agree. I think General Tso would be more correct to say "Screwed MY fake football team's season".I really don't know how Patriot fans and Patriot fantasy owners can be upset about this. this is the give and take of it. You know as a fan that the team is always going to be CONSISTENT and play their players and that has many good results that come from doing that the vast majority of the time. You can't be a hind-sightest on this. What if they did pull Gronk, ignoring the fact that he excels on ST and plays it all the time (this isn't new), and then the defender beats the backup and tears the Kickers knee up? Then you'd be blaming Bilichick that way. The only way you can avoid it is to play not to get hurt and that's always a dangerous mentality to have.For fantasy owners, none of you guys ever complain when a Patriots player makes a super late play or TD with a few minutes left, despite them leading by 20. So you can't start complaining now.

Nice job, hoodie. True :ph34r: This is not college, and you are not trying to impress any polsters. Outside of fantasy, which sucks for Gronk owners, hoodie deserves it. Karma, baby!
LOL! You Patriots-haters never learn. The REAL karma in this is going to be all you guys hate on the Patriots and now the Patraiots will use the next 4-6 weeks playing around with different lineups and they will probably discover some variation of player combo that will simply ### yet another wrinkle of their offense that the rest of the league has to account and prepare for and can't stop. That's the real karma that will come from this.

Nice job, hoodie. True :ph34r: This is not college, and you are not trying to impress any polsters. Outside of fantasy, which sucks for Gronk owners, hoodie deserves it. Karma, baby!
LOL! You Patriots-haters never learn. The REAL karma in this is going to be all you guys hate on the Patriots and now the Patraiots will use the next 4-6 weeks playing around with different lineups and they will probably discover some variation of player combo that will simply ### yet another wrinkle of their offense that the rest of the league has to account and prepare for and can't stop. That's the real karma that will come from this.
:lmao: no.

Exactly. This is like if Eli Manning kneels down and ruptures an achilles in the process: You don't suddenly start saying that back-ups should do EVERYTHING once the game is decided. That's just not how it goes.

Don't you and your Hawks have the week off? come back on tuesday.And...yes! We have seen this before, over and over with the Pats. Everytime the masses start getting giddy and saying "looke they lost player X, they are DOOMED, they simply reload and show something else.Brady goes down, they change their offensive approach a bit and do much better than people thought.Welker goes down and Belichick himself said he relaized how dependent the offense was of Moss and Welker and decided he needed to do the TE thing...You keep on hating and watch. something will come from this that benefits the Pats. i would not be surprised if 3 weeks from now everyone is talking about how no one can deal with Welker and Edleman at the same time. Its the Patriots way. sorry if you're not a Patriots fan (I'm not by the way, just being unbiased).

None of those guys is by himself a great player. They're good in the Patriots' passing game machine and they're all nice role players. But Gronkowski is a future HOFer if he can stay healthy, and he's a guy who would make any team in the league better the second he lined up for them. Just a different class of player.The Pats will probably be fine without him for four or five weeks, but IMO Brady will have to do some heavy lifting.

Nice job, hoodie. True :ph34r:

This is not college, and you are not trying to impress any polsters. Outside of fantasy, which sucks for Gronk owners, hoodie deserves it. Karma, baby!
Don't you and your Hawks have the week off? come back on tuesday.And...yes! We have seen this before, over and over with the Pats. Everytime the masses start getting giddy and saying "looke they lost player X, they are DOOMED, they simply reload and show something else.

Brady goes down, they change their offensive approach a bit and do much better than people thought.

Welker goes down and Belichick himself said he relaized how dependent the offense was of Moss and Welker and decided he needed to do the TE thing...

You keep on hating and watch. something will come from this that benefits the Pats. i would not be surprised if 3 weeks from now everyone is talking about how no one can deal with Welker and Edleman at the same time. Its the Patriots way. sorry if you're not a Patriots fan (I'm not by the way, just being unbiased).
:popcorn: I don't have anything else to do as a 3-7 Eagles fan.

PS - Bump Edelman?

So do we wait and see if he can play week 15 or 16 (if any teams who drafted him 1-2 can make it that far)? The report at this point is he "probably will miss a few weeks" but what's that even mean? If NE has 1-2 seed locked up, I doubt he plays before the playoffs. Sucks.

Do we think Shiancoe gets some of his opportunities, or do they just keep Fells in as a blocking TE and use Hernandez and 3 WR sets more?

This is not college, and you are not trying to impress any polsters. Outside of fantasy, which sucks for Gronk owners, hoodie deserves it. Karma, baby!
Don't you and your Hawks have the week off? come back on tuesday.And...yes! We have seen this before, over and over with the Pats. Everytime the masses start getting giddy and saying "looke they lost player X, they are DOOMED, they simply reload and show something else.

Brady goes down, they change their offensive approach a bit and do much better than people thought.

Welker goes down and Belichick himself said he relaized how dependent the offense was of Moss and Welker and decided he needed to do the TE thing...

You keep on hating and watch. something will come from this that benefits the Pats. i would not be surprised if 3 weeks from now everyone is talking about how no one can deal with Welker and Edleman at the same time. Its the Patriots way. sorry if you're not a Patriots fan (I'm not by the way, just being unbiased).

PS - Bump Edelman?
I'd bump the running game. The few weeks when the Pats lost AH and had to go to 1 TE because none of their backup TEs were even really healthy, they went to a lot of 1 TE sets and ran the ball a lot more. At least in the coming weeks while they adjust, I think Ridley is a very good RB1 and even Vereen emerges enough to make a decent flex play.

PS - Bump Edelman?
I'd bump the running game. The few weeks when the Pats lost AH and had to go to 1 TE because none of their backup TEs were even really healthy, they went to a lot of 1 TE sets and ran the ball a lot more. At least in the coming weeks while they adjust, I think Ridley is a very good RB1 and even Vereen emerges enough to make a decent flex play.
Gronk is a great blocker so it could hurt the run game. The only way I see a bump to the run game is maybe in the TD category since they won't have Gronk to toss it too anymore.

I don't get the hate. Gronk was on the sidelines for the TD drive. He came back in for the XP. People saying he shouldn't have... How many players can you name that have gotten hurt on XPs? And more importantly, how many teams do you think have 1st and 2nd team XP squads? It's not like you just start sending in the reserve XP squad once you're ahead by a certain amount. Gronk's injury is unfortunate. I own him in more leagues than not, and this is a blow. I'm not going to start mindlessly lashing out at everyone involved about it, though. It's a freak injury. There's no more blame to be assigned than if he'd gotten hurt on a game-winning kneel down.
Exactly. It's ironically funny that every person clamoring about BB having Gronk in on the XP has the coach of their team doing the exact same thing in every game they play, no matter what the score is.The hate isn't about Gronk being in, it's the general disdain they have for BB and the Pats. They wont admit it though. I didn't see this many posts a week ago when Baltimore faked a FG and ran in a TD to make it 48-17 against Oakland.I also have no problem with the Pats going full board all the way through the game, as their MO all season is to get a big lead only to have teams come back on them in the 4th. Everyone should want to see their team going all out, on every play no matter the score.Oh, and as been mentioned many, many times over, there is no such thing as "Running up the score" in the NFL. It's laughable every time I see some nimrod post that. Running up the score against professional millionaires who can't do their jobs well enough to stop it. Too funny.

Wow, how arrogant of you. You're implying Belichick lacks understanding of the game? He agree's that a star player should be in then... gotta say I'd side with his understanding of the game over yours any day.

Users who are viewing this thread