What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gronk broken forearm? (2 Viewers)

Seems like its a moot point this week - I have not heard any news, but with a MNF game, it would be almost impossible to trust him to play, let alone play effectively this week. I'd still hold him for next week. At this point, the only way I would advocate playing him, is if you need to really gamble on a 12+ point game from a TE.

Seems like its a moot point this week - I have not heard any news, but with a MNF game, it would be almost impossible to trust him to play, let alone play effectively this week. I'd still hold him for next week. At this point, the only way I would advocate playing him, is if you need to really gamble on a 12+ point game from a TE.
Monday Night game sucks for this but if you knew he was gonna play, you have to start him.

Rob Gronkowski, who has missed two games with a broken forearm, is expected to miss at least two more and could be out for the remainder of the regular season. That’s the same timetable that was originally forecasted, according to numerous sources close to the All-Pro tight end.

http://www.bostonher...-from-practice/

Droppable?

'phatrat said:
Rob Gronkowski, who has missed two games with a broken forearm, is expected to miss at least two more and could be out for the remainder of the regular season. That’s the same timetable that was originally forecasted, according to numerous sources close to the All-Pro tight end.http://www.bostonher...-from-practice/ Droppable?
i'd rather have a lotto ticket then waiver wire fodder. who would you add if you drop him and how would that improve your team?

'phatrat said:
Rob Gronkowski, who has missed two games with a broken forearm, is expected to miss at least two more and could be out for the remainder of the regular season. That’s the same timetable that was originally forecasted, according to numerous sources close to the All-Pro tight end.http://www.bostonher...-from-practice/ Droppable?
i'd rather have a lotto ticket then waiver wire fodder. who would you add if you drop him and how would that improve your team?
this - I'd only drop him for someone you would start. Maybe if you wanted to hold an extra D for a good match-up next week.

Jason La Canfora on NFL on CBS pre-game says Gronk is "a week or so away"

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason La Canfora on NFL on CBS pre-game says Gronk is "a week or so away"
I got rid of him for this week with Shorts out and Harvin on IR. I needed a flex and didn't want anyone else in the playoffs grabbing someone useful. If he starts practicing at any point then I may grab him again, but at this point, I still think week 16 is the earliest he plays. Definitely would have kept him, but unfortunately this is my shortest bench league so a guy you may hope to play is hard to keep.

I'll be shocked if he plays this week. No need to rush him back. I am sure they figure they can beat the Jaguars without him.

I'll be shocked if he plays this week. No need to rush him back. I am sure they figure they can beat the Jaguars without him.
I think it'd be silly to play him til the playoffs. Shouldn't need him for the next 2 games. I think with gronk, they would've beaten SF. Maybe not handily, but there were many situations where his physical presence against a very physical D would've really helped. Once they start playing playoff caliber teams, he's gonna be needed again.

Is that "I'll be shocked" or "I hope to god he doesn't." I have Hernandez and for me it's the later.
The former. I have Hernandez in one championship game, and in another, I am missing Gronk from my starting lineup, so him playing could maybe help one team and maybe hurt another a little. Hard to say. But my gut tells me he won't play. They don't want Gronk having a setback this close to the playoffs.

rushing him back in regards to opponent IMO. Jack Jags? C'mon, my HS team could give them a good game. Pats should win by 20+ without Gronk, and Welker and Lloyd.

Rest him another week. Wont hurt anyone WRT the Patriots and winning games.

I don't understand. His cast is off. He's practicing. If he's healed, why wouldn't they play him?

I don't understand. His cast is off. He's practicing. If he's healed, why wouldn't they play him?
I agree. It's a broken bone so it's either healed or not. It's not a sprain where it's more likely to hurt it again if it's not healed enough. Then again, if he is still sore, sitting him another week would make sense. They won't need him this week and they still have him Week 17 to get "warmed up" before the playoffs... Not that he needs to or anything. As a Hernandez owner, I'd like him to sit obviously but I'm not liking the odds here.

You realize we're talking about Bill Belichick making the decision, right? This is a guy who consistently leaves his all-world QB in games where he is up by 30 points in the 4th quarter. Either the bone is healed or it isn't. But if the bone is healed, there is 0% chance that Gronk sits. If he keeps practicing this week, he's a lock to play. And unless you have someone like Gonzo, Witten or Hernandez, you have to play him. Everyone else is averaging about 5 points a week, so what are you really risking. My choice is Gronk or Gresham and if Gronk plays, he's in my lineup and its not even a tough choice. I also have Brady and Ridley, so I'm all in on the Pats against the Jags and couldn't be happier.

Today's practice was in shells, not pads. I wouldn't read too much into it.
If he's healed, then he should play, no matter who the opponent is. If he's not healed, he should sit, no matter who the opponent is. I don't get this "resting" or "saving" talk. If he's healthy, there's literally no reason for him not to play.
even if he played I'd be worried about limited snaps
It's a broken arm. There's no reason to limit him. Either it's healed or it's not. Bones are stronger after they've been broken and healed than they were before they were broken. It's one thing if they have to limit him for conditioning reasons, although he's only missed 4 weeks and a broken arm wouldn't really prevent him from staying in game shape like a broken leg (or a hamstring or ankle injury) would. But if the bone is healed, I'd expect him to play close to a full workload.

Today's practice was in shells, not pads. I wouldn't read too much into it.
If he's healed, then he should play, no matter who the opponent is. If he's not healed, he should sit, no matter who the opponent is. I don't get this "resting" or "saving" talk. If he's healthy, there's literally no reason for him not to play.
Sure, but there's a difference between being clear to participate in light practice and being fully healed. I'd like to see him practice fully before assuming he'll play. If he's limited when they do full-contact work, that's a bad sign.

Adam Schefter reported that he expects him back in week 17 - Adam has been pretty on point this season, so I'd be prepared for a week w/o Gronk.

Also, remember Hernandez being limited in almost 2 weeks of practice a few weeks back before he was active for a game... Then remember the game he had in his first back, something like 2 for 25. It's a situation we should tread lightly in our championships with.

Patriots | Rob Gronkowski to miss Week 16 Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:31:59 -0800 New England Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski (forearm) will not play in Week 16, despite practicing all week.
Gronkowski (arm) will not play Sunday at Jacksonville, according to Ryan O'Halloran of the Florida Times-Union.
Not sure what information Ryan O'Halloran has that others wouldn't or if this is just a guess.

A source tells CSN New England that Rob Gronkowski's latest forearm fracture was not identical to the one he suffered in Week 11.

The assumption was that Gronkowski rushed back from his original fracture too soon, leading to the second break. CSN New England's source disputes this, saying the latest injury "had nothing to do with whether the arm was ready or not." In fact, doctors discovered that the original break was intact and fully healed when they went in to perform new surgery Monday. The break Gronk sustained against the Texans was at the end of a protective plate that had been implanted in his forearm.

I think the fact that his forearm was healing factored into the manner in which he went to the ground after that catch. I believe that if his forearm was a non-issue, a new break wouldn't have been suffered. Maybe it was a total fluke and unfortunate play, but I don't think so...

A source tells CSN New England that Rob Gronkowski's latest forearm fracture was not identical to the one he suffered in Week 11.

The assumption was that Gronkowski rushed back from his original fracture too soon, leading to the second break. CSN New England's source disputes this, saying the latest injury "had nothing to do with whether the arm was ready or not." In fact, doctors discovered that the original break was intact and fully healed when they went in to perform new surgery Monday. The break Gronk sustained against the Texans was at the end of a protective plate that had been implanted in his forearm.
Did the plate help cause the break?

I think the fact that his forearm was healing factored into the manner in which he went to the ground after that catch. I believe that if his forearm was a non-issue, a new break wouldn't have been suffered. Maybe it was a total fluke and unfortunate play, but I don't think so...
Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

The same thing happened to Charles Rogers when he broke his collar bone twice in the same year. Had surgery with a steel rod inserted, came back and the collar bone broke at the end of the rod. Seems like there is something to this. Watching the replay Gronk did not even fall very hard.

The same thing happened to Charles Rogers when he broke his collar bone twice in the same year. Had surgery with a steel rod inserted, came back and the collar bone broke at the end of the rod. Seems like there is something to this. Watching the replay Gronk did not even fall very hard.
What about the hundreds of other times in the past few years that players have had rods/plates inserted and didn't damage anything further in that area of their body and healed just fine? It's easy to cherry pick two cases and claim a correlation. Incredibly lazy, too.

What about the hundreds of other times in the past few years that players have had rods/plates inserted and didn't damage anything further in that area of their body and healed just fine? It's easy to cherry pick two cases and claim a correlation. Incredibly lazy, too.
Not really. In both of these cases the players came back quite early from a broken bone. In many other broken bone cases the injury happens in mid-year and the player has surgery and does not return for the rest of the season. Then has the whole off-season for the bones to mend properly. Had the Pats not been in the playoffs and Gronk had 6 months instead of 4-5 weeks this most likely would never have happened.

Not really. In both of these cases the players came back quite early from a broken bone. In many other broken bone cases the injury happens in mid-year and the player has surgery and does not return for the rest of the season. Then has the whole off-season for the bones to mend properly. Had the Pats not been in the playoffs and Gronk had 6 months instead of 4-5 weeks this most likely would never have happened.
This is your opinion, and it very well may be accurate, but unless a medical expert supports that opinion, it is not (and shouldn't be stated as) fact.

did you read jene's blog post?I'll take his word for it.

Sure. I don't think there's anything troublesome on the site. I post the links so I'm able to get a look at what types of posts folks are most interested in reading.
With the ink barely dry on the extensive coverage of Robert Griffin III’s unfortunate injury, Rob Gronkowski’s re-fractured forearm prompted fans to again ask, “Did he return too soon?” this week.Shortly after the injury, there were two competing conversations on Twitter. Some wondered if it was possible for a bone to break after it was surgically fixed with a plate and screws. (The answer is yes. Bone and/or hardware can fail in a bone that has been surgically fixed.) Others were convinced that the New England medical staff allowed Gronkowski to return to play before the bone had fully healed, speculating that the bone broke in the same spot as the original injury.Example of a fracture near surgical plate site. (Photo from bjsportsmed.com)While the second argument is reasonable, there are multiple instances of NFL players returning to play within six weeks of a surgically repaired forearm fracture without complications. Though it takes longer than six weeks for bone to fully heal after a fracture, it’s likely that follow up tests showed that Gronkowski’s fractured bone(s) had healed enough to minimize the risk of a return to play.Further, CSNNE’s Tom Curran reported today that Gronkowski’s bone broke in a different spot, specifically “at the end of the protective plate that was implanted in his arm.” Curran’s source also said that the re-injury had “nothing to do with whether the arm was ready or not.”I’ve been asked if that explanation is valid or another instance of the Patriots clouding the true picture of an injury to one of their players. There’s no way to answer that definitively, of course, but the explanation Curran’s source gave is reasonable.Advances in orthopedic hardware in recent years (use of titanium, subtle changes in how rigid the plate/screw fixation is performed) are thought to decrease the risk of a fracture near the end of a plate. But those fractures are still possible. Without getting into a long discussion of bone physiology and biomechanics, bone near the end of a plate – even though it was not part of the original fracture – is weaker than usual. The bone is also stressed differently in a fall because the plate is rigid at the end.That weakness may not affect how you or I would recover from a broken arm. But it is definitely a consideration for an NFL tight end that must use his arm to protect himself on the field. Unfortunately, there is no way to estimate the risk of this kind of fracture. It’s a theoretical risk for many months after surgery. Curran’s source said the risk was as long as three years; I have seen 18-21 months quoted in orthopedic journals.Whatever the answer, the risk is likely small enough after 6-8 weeks that waiting until it becomes zero is not acceptable to an elite athlete. Why not remove the plate and screws after the bone heals, then? The risk of a second fracture after plate removal is thought to be even higher.In short, it’s probably correct to consider Gronkowski’s fall, landing and re-injury nine weeks after his first surgery a perfect storm of sorts. He will have the benefit of months – rather than weeks – to recover after the second surgery. The extra time should decrease Gronkowski’s risk of a similar injury next season.

It didn't appear that he fell hard.My point, which was apparently lost on Frank Costanza's Lawyer, is that it looked like he didn't prepare himself for the fall as he would have if he didn't have the previous injury. In other words, he knew he was awkwardly going to the ground with his left arm extended to break his fall. I'm sure he tried to avoid a direct impact on the injured area and slightly compensated the position of his arm making things worse.

His wrestling his friend in Vegas with his broken forearm while stupid is pretty funny to watch. The nut kick is the funniest part.http://www.tmz.com/Can't get video to embed, but it is down on the bottom of the page.

Rob Gronkowski has surgery on infected left arm
New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski is having more trouble with his surgically repaired left arm.NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Monday night, via a source, that Gronkowski recently underwent a procedure after he developed an infection in his elbow. This is his third surgery on the arm since November.The hope is that Gronkowski will not miss any significant football time, according to Breer. ESPN's Adam Schefter first reported the Gronk news.Gronkowski originally injured the forearm late in a Nov. 18 blowout win over the Indianapolis Colts. He broke it a second time in New England's divisional-round playoff win over the Houston Texans.Gronkowski had his cast removed earlier this month and spoke to the Patriots' official website about looking forward to resuming workouts. Now that will have to wait.Gronkowski isn't the only prominent Patriots player to battle infection after surgery. Tom Brady underwent multiple minor procedures after developing an infection of his left knee following reconstructive surgery in 2008.

Users who are viewing this thread