What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gruden passes up on NFL jobs for Miami (FL)? (1 Viewer)

I really don't see why Gruden in Miami is a stretch at all. The guy used to work around the clock in Oakland and Tampa. The result was that he never saw his young kids and I remember seeing an interview where he stated that was very hard on his family (i.e. his wife was sick of it). The family (I believe) ives in FL, so they will not have to uproot anyone. The pay will be equal to his TV gig (if not more) and while he will have to work a lot more than he does now on TV, he can work out that coaching itch, without having to make it a 100 hour work week (see Spurrier).

I think people are waaaay overthinking this. He does not need the "big" money and he has to make a work/life balance, just like the rest of us. This would be the perfect job for gruden to get a taste of what he wants (to coach), while not leaving the family by the wayside.

When guys get back into coaching, it is because they WANT to do it, not HAVE to do it. If we want to project where coaches will land, you HAVE to take the personal side into it. For example, the Cowher to Dallas stuff doesn't make sense...not based on control, personnel, etc., but based on the fact that the guy has family on the East Coast, just lost his wife and has more money than he know what to do with...so why would he go to Dallas??? Carolina, maybe...but he is not jaunting across the country to coach a team because they have a star on their helmets.

Gruden saying he is happy on MNF...might not mean much but I tried to tell you all it was not nearly as clean as the initial reports or folks "inside info"

Maybe it will till happen but I have a lot of doubts about it and even if it would be a good fit.

Link

PennStater77 said:
Ministry of Pain said:
PennStater77 said:
Peter King calling B.S.
I think it will be a process and I think Gruden's name was tossed out by over eager media and those that hate the U as I stated earlier. I'm not going to claim inside info but most know my wife works for the U, I go there, and I'm not a traditional student age so I've gotten to meet Shalala a few times at functions. The whole Gruden thing is really not her style. I'm not saying he could not get the job but she likes to take her time and not rush into things.And Donna wears the pants at Miami if you catch my drift. Also Randy Shannon was told going in to clean things up and no arrests. One guy was arrested, Robert Mavre and he now is playing at Purdue...you get it?I'm accused of not being a fan here and that has nothing to do with it. You can hate on Randy but he did what he was asked to do by the person who wears the pants there. Prseident Shalala is not a win at all costs type.
I said it before, when hiring and firing these college coaches, the A.D is a talking head and that's it, someone to go in front of the camera. The rich alumni hold the cards.
I think you might be wrong....LOVE MICHIGAN FAN, FORMER PLAYERS AND ALUMNI!!that said I heard a report on WTKA that Rich Rod could be putting out feelers to the canes....won't have to pay him much money as he's earning millions from U of M and he can recruit the state of Florida. just sayin....it's out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
PennStater77 said:
Ministry of Pain said:
PennStater77 said:
Peter King calling B.S.
I think it will be a process and I think Gruden's name was tossed out by over eager media and those that hate the U as I stated earlier. I'm not going to claim inside info but most know my wife works for the U, I go there, and I'm not a traditional student age so I've gotten to meet Shalala a few times at functions. The whole Gruden thing is really not her style. I'm not saying he could not get the job but she likes to take her time and not rush into things.And Donna wears the pants at Miami if you catch my drift. Also Randy Shannon was told going in to clean things up and no arrests. One guy was arrested, Robert Mavre and he now is playing at Purdue...you get it?I'm accused of not being a fan here and that has nothing to do with it. You can hate on Randy but he did what he was asked to do by the person who wears the pants there. Prseident Shalala is not a win at all costs type.
I said it before, when hiring and firing these college coaches, the A.D is a talking head and that's it, someone to go in front of the camera. The rich alumni hold the cards.
I think you might be wrong....LOVE MICHIGAN FAN, FORMER PLAYERS AND ALUMNI!!that said I heard a report on WTKA that Rich Rod could be putting out feelers to the canes....won't have to pay him much money as he's earning millions from U of M and he can recruit the state of Florida. just sayin....it's out there.
I would picket and protest if Miami hired that clown.

:goodposting:

Jon Gruden shows interest as Miami Hurricanes try to work out deal

BY BARRY JACKSON AND SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

DOUG PENSINGER / GETTY IMAGES

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden could be filling the Miami Hurricanes' coaching vacancy.

The University of Miami remained in strong pursuit of Jon Gruden on Tuesday, hoping to lure the former Super Bowl-winning coach to head up the Hurricanes' football program.

UM athletic director Kirby Hocutt went to Tampa to meet with Gruden, a meeting expected to take place on Wednesday.

Hocutt went there to gauge Gruden's interest, according to a high-level UM source.

Another UM official said Gruden has shown some interest in the job, but UM isn't sure about whether he would take the job if offered. Hocutt wants to determine that on Wednesday.

Two other UM Board of Trustee members said Gruden is UM's top choice and are hopeful Gruden is receptive. Both they expressed concerned he might decide to wait for an NFL job.

UM's athletic department was hopeful, to the point where employees were told to quickly piece together a plan so that 2011 tickets could be put on sale shortly if Gruden is hired. UM also has done an evaluation of how much it believes Gruden would boost attendance.

Canesport.com reported that final details are being hammered out with Gruden and that he will be named coach barring a last-minute glitch. But several trustees said the process has not reached that point.

UM also has put together a list of other candidates should the Gruden negotiations fall apart -- a list including Mississippi State's Dan Mullen, Arizona's Mike Stoops and Utah's Kyle Whittingham, among others, UM sources said.

If Gruden takes the UM coach, UM's offensive coordinator could be his brother, Jay, a former quarterback at Louisville and head coach of the United Football League's Florida Tuskers.

Gruden, 47, won the Super Bowl as Tampa Bay's coach in the 2002 season before being fired after the 2008 season. He held four college jobs early in his career -- graduate assistant at Tennessee (1986-87), quarterbacks coach at Southeast Mississippi State (1988) and receivers coach at Pacific (1989) and Pittsburgh (1991).

Gruden went 95-81 in 11 years as an NFL head coach. He was 40-28 in four years as coach of the Oakland Raiders, then replaced Tony Dungy as Tampa Bay's coach to start the 2002 season.

He went 57-55 in seven seasons with Tampa. He was fired in January 2009 after going 4-12, 9-7 and 9-7 in his final three seasons.

His final season with Tampa ended with a four-game losing streak. Before getting the Raiders' head coaching job, he was an assistant for the 49ers, Packers and Eagles.

Gruden got his first NFL coaching opportunity in 1990 after his father, Jim, a former assistant at Notre Dame, set up an interview with Mike Holmgren, then the offensive coordinator for the 49ers. Gruden impressed Holmgren, who hired him as one of the NFL's first quality control coaches.

Born in Dallas, Gruden was a backup quarterback at Dayton University. If Gruden does not take the job, UM was expected to ask for permission to speak with Mullen, a former Florida Gators offensive coordinator, according to a UM official.

Gruden, who did not return calls left with his wife and agent, told ESPN management Sunday that he does not plan to take the UM job but has not publicly ruled it out. Those familiar with the search said if UM did not land Gruden, it prefers a clean-cut, established, successful head coach from another school.

Another trustee said UM has ruled out head coaches with baggage, including former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, former South Florida coach Jim Leavitt and North Carolina and former UM coach Butch Davis. Leavitt, who coached Kansas State when Hocutt played there, could be a possibility for a UM assistant job.

One trustee noted UM's two most recent head coaching hires in football were promoted from coordinator jobs (Larry Coker and Randy Shannon) and UM ``won't do that again. They want someone who is running a successful program that they think can win a national championship.'' Said another UM official: ``There won't be people flying under the radar as far as success, that we're interested in.''

Mullen, 38, took over a Mississippi State team that went 4-8 in 2008. He went 5-7 in his first season but is 8-4 this season.

Although Hocutt has interest in Mullen, one UM official said, ``We would have to scrutinize that one. Is two years [of head coaching experience] enough? There's a difference of opinion on that.''

Hocutt will make the decision on the head coach but will make sure UM president Donna Shalala agrees with the choice, a UM official said.

Mississippi State athletic director Scott Strickland told The Starkville Daily News on Tuesday that he's working on a new four-year contract for Mullen, with a raise. ``We're going to be smart and aggressive in this process,'' Strickland said.

Mullen was asked by the Starkville newspaper if he wished to comment ``on the speculation you will be meeting with Miami officials or that you're currently mulling over an offer from Minnesota.'' Mullen did not respond to that question but sent out this tweet: ``With all the rumors, all I am mulling over is the flu and what bowl we are going to.''

Whittingham has been Utah's coach since 2005 and is 58-19, including 10-2 this season. Stoops has been Arizona's coach since 2004 and is 40-40, including 7-4 this season.

The search has been a two-pronged process: Negotiating with Gruden while also studying a list of alternate candidates. As one school official said, ``For a head coach, it can happen very fast. Even the hiring process is faster than practically any other person at the university.''

Herald sportswriters Michelle Kaufman and Manny Navarro contributed to this repo

bww being reported on the miami.rivals.com site.............details are being hammered out for gruden to be the next coach with his brother jay onboard as the offensive coordinator....i can't link it....it's a pay site...................tomorrow will be interesting that's for sure

WOW this is taking a Cam Newtown like trip. Nothing will come of it.

Miami scheduled a news conference for Monday at 2PM to announce Gruden then they cancelled it.

He still has another 5 million coming to him in 2011 from the BUCS why would he leave 3 Million on the table to go coach the Hurricanes.

Gruden is the OL coach for his son's school Carrollwood Day in Tampa..

He still has temper issues even at the HS Level "That's all well and good in the pros, where the stakes are a bit higher and the level of sportsmanship is generally lower as a result. But at the high school level, a different measure of deportment is generally required. Gruden, who's been coaching with Carrollwood Day School in Tampa (his son is on the team), went off in the first quarter of the team's Sept. 3 season opener. He exploded at the officials, grabbed a 15-yard penalty for his trouble, and simply left the field for the rest of the game. He wound up in the stands, where he continued to berate the refs (calling them "Forrest Gump" among other things, according to a former high school official who was watching his own son playing for the other team)."

He gets together with a group of former coaches here in Tampa to study film called the FFCA Fired Football Coaches of America and he has also turned it into clinics and its own brand.

Just like we were waiting for Cam Newton to be ruled ineligible for the Iron Bowl and it never happened.

Miami will have better luck hiring Patterson (TCU), Mullins or Edsall

Hi everyone,

Gruden is not coming to the Univ of Miami. Donna Shalayla wouldn't hire Mike Leach when Shannon interviewed for the job because he wore shorts to the interview. She made an opinion on the guy and used that as a way to not hire him because he also would have cost double what Shannon did. No way she ponies up to get Gruden and I'm not even sure Gruden would be a great college coach if you want to know the truth of it.

He did not handle Simms very well in the NFL when he was a young QB, I can only imagine what he would do to college players that let him down.

Also Miami cannot afford to have anyone publicly turn this job down and I imagine someone who hates the "U" is twiittering the Gruden stuff so he can come out publicly and denounce the position.

Look for ex-USF HC Jim Leavitt to get an interview and a hard look. He already understand Florida recruiting and he is thirsty for some revenge on his old school. That's about all I got.
Leavitt will NOT get a look at this job, I have first hand knowledge of that.There is serious interest between Gruden and the Canes.
Why do you think Gruden will make a great hire as a college football coach? I love the name, and am a fan of his but not sure he can do it at the college level. Also, keep in mind that Miami is hated by many. Nothing worse for a program to have their lead candidate denouncing the position or saying they were never seriously interested. I have yet to see a credible link to real substance on this. I do think those that hate the U want to try and make it worse by throwing names out there that they can never get. People were not tripping over themselves to interview last time it was open, hence we got left deciding between Leach and Shannon who managed to wear a suit on the interview. When Gruden is spotted in Miami I'll believe he's serious. That guy can get $5 mill a season form a lot of NFL clubs. College is going to be $2.5-$3 mill tops especially the U which doesn't like to pay a lot for their head coaches.

What's the appeal for Gruden? Why would he pass on ND last year and then gun for Miami? Doesn't make sense to me so I'm not buying the tweets just yet.
How did that inside info work out?I told you Gruden would never get hired here. Really poor handling by the local media who were dumb enough to slurp up the BS that Miami haters and those that wanted to make it even harder to find a coach were blurting out on the street.

Good article by Doyel here

Kirby Hocutt doesn't know what he's doing, and I'm going to prove it. Hell, proving it is the simple part. I have the easy job. You're the one who has it rough, especially if you're a Miami football fan. Because you're the one who has to look past your heart, which bleeds green and orange, and analyze with your brain the case I'm about to lay out for you.

And when you do that, you'll be scared. Because you'll know. You'll know I'm right, and more to the point, you'll know Kirby Hocutt is wrong.

He's the wrong man to be entrusted with the most important hire the University of Miami will make for years.

Before we go there, let me go here. Let me state, up front, that I wasn't happy about the firing of Miami's previous football coach, Randy Shannon. Maybe you know that. I wrote it a few days ago, wondering how the Miami administration could overthrow Shannon after four years where he has taken the Hurricanes to three consecutive bowl games -- and unprecedented achievement in the classroom and community.

Apparently I have it in for Kirby Hocutt. I'm not going to sit here and tell you I don't. What I will tell you, honestly and embarrassingly, is this: Until Sunday, I'd never heard of Kirby Hocutt. The AD at Miami since 2008? News to me. He'd done nothing to distinguish himself, to get onto my radar. Until he fired Shannon.

And now, this coach search. This embarrassment. Kirby Hocutt is on my radar, all right, after this monsoon of missteps. He has no idea what he's doing, and again, I'm not just saying it. I'm going to prove it.

First, let's retrace Hocutt's steps as they pertain to this coaching position. His first step was six months ago, when -- after spending two football seasons as Randy Shannon's boss -- he extended Shannon's contract by four years and gave him a 25-percent raise to $1.5 million annually. The buyout was said to be about $1.5 million.

That was six months ago. An extension, a raise and a seven-figure buyout. And then a dismissal.

Hocutt was just getting started.

For his next move, after firing Shannon, he hired a search firm led by a single headhunter. And not just any headhunter, but the headhunter who advised Miami in 2007 to hire -- wait for it -- Randy Shannon.

It can't get any better, but it does. See, Hocutt was repaying an old favor. The headhunter? Chuck Neinas.

Hocutt's first boss out of college, in 1995 at the College Football Association? Chuck Neinas.

The good ol' boy network, alive and well at Miami. Neinas scratched Hocutt's back in '95, so Hocutt scratched Neinas' back last week, giving his former boss $50,000 to do a job Neinas obviously did, in 2007, to Hocutt's current dissatisfaction.

There's more. Lots more. Typically I like to limit my columns to about 1,000 words, but I'm not sure I can do that here, because I'm not sure the incompetence of Kirby Hocutt can be so limited. But I'll try, so here we go:

Hocutt's next trick was getting played by his lead candidate while scaring off his second choice, thereby compromising the rest of his search as a quest for someone, anyone, who'll take the damn job.

Hocutt's lead candidate was Jon Gruden, and here I pause to ask the following question: Why? Why was Jon Gruden the lead candidate? Jon Gruden hasn't coached in college since 1991, and he has spent just three seasons as a college coach. I'm not questioning Gruden's coaching acumen -- I'm questioning his college coaching acumen.

Running a college program, with all the recruiting and the insane mixture of teenagers and their parents and the money-drunk boosters, is nothing like coaching in the all-football, all-the-time, NFL. The only coach who made the NFL-to-NCAA transition successfully, Pete Carroll, spent more than a decade in college earlier in his career. He was the defensive coordinator at North Carolina State. He was the secondary coordinator at Ohio State. Carroll knew what it took to coach in the NCAA.

Gruden? He has no idea. He was a position coach at Southeast Missouri State, and Pacific, and then at Pittsburgh for the 1991 season, a year that scared him away from college and into a nebulous "quality control" role with the Green Bay Packers. Basically, Gruden left college coaching to fetch coffee for Mike Holmgren. That's how motivated he was to get the hell out of college coaching.

And this was the guy Kirby Hocutt wanted to lead Miami football back to greatness. Well, it was a package deal. Jon Gruden would have brought his brother, Jay, as offensive coordinator. Guess how many years Jay Gruden has spent as a college coach, at any level, in any role?

Zero.

Jon Gruden apparently isn't interested, which means Miami dodged a bullet it never saw coming. But Hocutt tried his best to dive onto that bullet, even as he sabotaged negotiations with Gruden by letting it leak that the school was willing to pay Gruden more than $3 million annually -- and that Gruden had initiated the dialogue about the coaching job in the first place.

Pushed into a corner for a job he never wanted, Gruden announced Sunday he was happy at ESPN -- an announcement a TV person doesn't have to make. But he made it. Why? Because he wasn't interested in Miami. Undeterred, Hocutt insisted on a meeting Wednesday with Gruden in Tampa, a meeting so promising that -- before it even began -- reporters at Fox and ESPN were tweeting that sources close to Gruden said Miami's chance of landing Gruden was "zero percent."

Hocutt went anyway, wasting precious time and further assuring that whoever gets the Miami job will be getting it only because Jon Gruden didn't want it. And at a salary less than the $3 million Miami had in mind for its top choice.

Meantime, Hocutt scared off one of his most promising candidates, Georgia coach (and Miami alumnus) Mark Richt, whose name was leaked to the South Florida media within hours of Shannon's firing on Saturday. On Sunday, Richt issued a statement that he was staying at Georgia, leaving himself no wiggle room.

"Georgia is my home," Richt said, "and it's where I want to finish my career."

So who's left? Dan Mullen is left. Miami could hire the close friend of the coach at state rival Florida. Mullen is Urban Meyer's former offensive coordinator, and he has all of two years' head coaching experience at Mississippi State. Or, Mike Stoops is left. Miami could hire the younger brother of Bob Stoops, who is part of Hocutt's good ol' boy network when he worked at Oklahoma. All Stoops needed was five years to post a winning record at Arizona.

The best candidate out there is Jim Harbaugh of Stanford. He would be the best hire possible for Miami, but I don't trust Kirby Hocutt to outmaneuver the NFL or Michigan, should that job come open.

I wouldn't trust Kirby Hocutt to hire a tennis coach.

But after watching the Miami AD in action, it wouldn't surprise me if Bjorn Borg is coaching the UM football team in August.

Miami is in trouble

This whole Jon Gruden shows you how Journalism has turned to a rumor based form of reporting and mainly hearsay to garner interest instead of fact base reporting.

Hi everyone,

Gruden is not coming to the Univ of Miami. Donna Shalayla wouldn't hire Mike Leach when Shannon interviewed for the job because he wore shorts to the interview. She made an opinion on the guy and used that as a way to not hire him because he also would have cost double what Shannon did. No way she ponies up to get Gruden and I'm not even sure Gruden would be a great college coach if you want to know the truth of it.

He did not handle Simms very well in the NFL when he was a young QB, I can only imagine what he would do to college players that let him down.

Also Miami cannot afford to have anyone publicly turn this job down and I imagine someone who hates the "U" is twiittering the Gruden stuff so he can come out publicly and denounce the position.

Look for ex-USF HC Jim Leavitt to get an interview and a hard look. He already understand Florida recruiting and he is thirsty for some revenge on his old school. That's about all I got.
Leavitt will NOT get a look at this job, I have first hand knowledge of that.There is serious interest between Gruden and the Canes.
Why do you think Gruden will make a great hire as a college football coach? I love the name, and am a fan of his but not sure he can do it at the college level. Also, keep in mind that Miami is hated by many. Nothing worse for a program to have their lead candidate denouncing the position or saying they were never seriously interested. I have yet to see a credible link to real substance on this. I do think those that hate the U want to try and make it worse by throwing names out there that they can never get. People were not tripping over themselves to interview last time it was open, hence we got left deciding between Leach and Shannon who managed to wear a suit on the interview. When Gruden is spotted in Miami I'll believe he's serious. That guy can get $5 mill a season form a lot of NFL clubs. College is going to be $2.5-$3 mill tops especially the U which doesn't like to pay a lot for their head coaches.

What's the appeal for Gruden? Why would he pass on ND last year and then gun for Miami? Doesn't make sense to me so I'm not buying the tweets just yet.
How did that inside info work out?I told you Gruden would never get hired here. Really poor handling by the local media who were dumb enough to slurp up the BS that Miami haters and those that wanted to make it even harder to find a coach were blurting out on the street.

Good article by Doyel here

Kirby Hocutt doesn't know what he's doing, and I'm going to prove it. Hell, proving it is the simple part. I have the easy job. You're the one who has it rough, especially if you're a Miami football fan. Because you're the one who has to look past your heart, which bleeds green and orange, and analyze with your brain the case I'm about to lay out for you.

And when you do that, you'll be scared. Because you'll know. You'll know I'm right, and more to the point, you'll know Kirby Hocutt is wrong.

He's the wrong man to be entrusted with the most important hire the University of Miami will make for years.

Before we go there, let me go here. Let me state, up front, that I wasn't happy about the firing of Miami's previous football coach, Randy Shannon. Maybe you know that. I wrote it a few days ago, wondering how the Miami administration could overthrow Shannon after four years where he has taken the Hurricanes to three consecutive bowl games -- and unprecedented achievement in the classroom and community.

Apparently I have it in for Kirby Hocutt. I'm not going to sit here and tell you I don't. What I will tell you, honestly and embarrassingly, is this: Until Sunday, I'd never heard of Kirby Hocutt. The AD at Miami since 2008? News to me. He'd done nothing to distinguish himself, to get onto my radar. Until he fired Shannon.

And now, this coach search. This embarrassment. Kirby Hocutt is on my radar, all right, after this monsoon of missteps. He has no idea what he's doing, and again, I'm not just saying it. I'm going to prove it.

First, let's retrace Hocutt's steps as they pertain to this coaching position. His first step was six months ago, when -- after spending two football seasons as Randy Shannon's boss -- he extended Shannon's contract by four years and gave him a 25-percent raise to $1.5 million annually. The buyout was said to be about $1.5 million.

That was six months ago. An extension, a raise and a seven-figure buyout. And then a dismissal.

Hocutt was just getting started.

For his next move, after firing Shannon, he hired a search firm led by a single headhunter. And not just any headhunter, but the headhunter who advised Miami in 2007 to hire -- wait for it -- Randy Shannon.

It can't get any better, but it does. See, Hocutt was repaying an old favor. The headhunter? Chuck Neinas.

Hocutt's first boss out of college, in 1995 at the College Football Association? Chuck Neinas.

The good ol' boy network, alive and well at Miami. Neinas scratched Hocutt's back in '95, so Hocutt scratched Neinas' back last week, giving his former boss $50,000 to do a job Neinas obviously did, in 2007, to Hocutt's current dissatisfaction.

There's more. Lots more. Typically I like to limit my columns to about 1,000 words, but I'm not sure I can do that here, because I'm not sure the incompetence of Kirby Hocutt can be so limited. But I'll try, so here we go:

Hocutt's next trick was getting played by his lead candidate while scaring off his second choice, thereby compromising the rest of his search as a quest for someone, anyone, who'll take the damn job.

Hocutt's lead candidate was Jon Gruden, and here I pause to ask the following question: Why? Why was Jon Gruden the lead candidate? Jon Gruden hasn't coached in college since 1991, and he has spent just three seasons as a college coach. I'm not questioning Gruden's coaching acumen -- I'm questioning his college coaching acumen.

Running a college program, with all the recruiting and the insane mixture of teenagers and their parents and the money-drunk boosters, is nothing like coaching in the all-football, all-the-time, NFL. The only coach who made the NFL-to-NCAA transition successfully, Pete Carroll, spent more than a decade in college earlier in his career. He was the defensive coordinator at North Carolina State. He was the secondary coordinator at Ohio State. Carroll knew what it took to coach in the NCAA.

Gruden? He has no idea. He was a position coach at Southeast Missouri State, and Pacific, and then at Pittsburgh for the 1991 season, a year that scared him away from college and into a nebulous "quality control" role with the Green Bay Packers. Basically, Gruden left college coaching to fetch coffee for Mike Holmgren. That's how motivated he was to get the hell out of college coaching.

And this was the guy Kirby Hocutt wanted to lead Miami football back to greatness. Well, it was a package deal. Jon Gruden would have brought his brother, Jay, as offensive coordinator. Guess how many years Jay Gruden has spent as a college coach, at any level, in any role?

Zero.

Jon Gruden apparently isn't interested, which means Miami dodged a bullet it never saw coming. But Hocutt tried his best to dive onto that bullet, even as he sabotaged negotiations with Gruden by letting it leak that the school was willing to pay Gruden more than $3 million annually -- and that Gruden had initiated the dialogue about the coaching job in the first place.

Pushed into a corner for a job he never wanted, Gruden announced Sunday he was happy at ESPN -- an announcement a TV person doesn't have to make. But he made it. Why? Because he wasn't interested in Miami. Undeterred, Hocutt insisted on a meeting Wednesday with Gruden in Tampa, a meeting so promising that -- before it even began -- reporters at Fox and ESPN were tweeting that sources close to Gruden said Miami's chance of landing Gruden was "zero percent."

Hocutt went anyway, wasting precious time and further assuring that whoever gets the Miami job will be getting it only because Jon Gruden didn't want it. And at a salary less than the $3 million Miami had in mind for its top choice.

Meantime, Hocutt scared off one of his most promising candidates, Georgia coach (and Miami alumnus) Mark Richt, whose name was leaked to the South Florida media within hours of Shannon's firing on Saturday. On Sunday, Richt issued a statement that he was staying at Georgia, leaving himself no wiggle room.

"Georgia is my home," Richt said, "and it's where I want to finish my career."

So who's left? Dan Mullen is left. Miami could hire the close friend of the coach at state rival Florida. Mullen is Urban Meyer's former offensive coordinator, and he has all of two years' head coaching experience at Mississippi State. Or, Mike Stoops is left. Miami could hire the younger brother of Bob Stoops, who is part of Hocutt's good ol' boy network when he worked at Oklahoma. All Stoops needed was five years to post a winning record at Arizona.

The best candidate out there is Jim Harbaugh of Stanford. He would be the best hire possible for Miami, but I don't trust Kirby Hocutt to outmaneuver the NFL or Michigan, should that job come open.

I wouldn't trust Kirby Hocutt to hire a tennis coach.

But after watching the Miami AD in action, it wouldn't surprise me if Bjorn Borg is coaching the UM football team in August.

Miami is in trouble
Yeah, great article. Wow, can't believe you call yourself a Cane fan. This is the same guy who said Shannon should not have been fired.

A lot of people very close to the program thought this was DONE.

Leavitt???? LOFL

Users who are viewing this thread