What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guilty Pleasure Movies (2 Viewers)

I guess for me a guilty pleasure would be more like The Holiday, cuz it's a chick flick which I typically don't watch. It's probably cuz Jack Black is in it though.
To me it's a movie that I am embarrassed to publicly say I like. Or a movie that most people would make fun of you for liking.

ETA: The best example I have is The Cutting Edge. I thoroughly enjoy the movie and it's a terrible chick-flickish that I am embarrassed to say I like.
I'm a child of the 80's, so my wheel house is like Caveman, Strange Brew, Weird Science, Police Academy, Red Dawn, Pretty in Pink, Fast Times at ridgemont High, Goonies, etc...so I'm with ya.

The 80's were kind of embarrassing in general.....but at least people were having fun.

I guess for me a guilty pleasure would be more like The Holiday, cuz it's a chick flick which I typically don't watch. It's probably cuz Jack Black is in it though.
To me it's a movie that I am embarrassed to publicly say I like. Or a movie that most people would make fun of you for liking.

ETA: The best example I have is The Cutting Edge. I thoroughly enjoy the movie and it's a terrible chick-flickish that I am embarrassed to say I like.
I'm a child of the 80's, so my wheel house is like Caveman, Strange Brew, Weird Science, Police Academy, Red Dawn, Pretty in Pink, Fast Times at ridgemont High, Goonies, etc...so I'm with ya.

The 80's were kind of embarrassing in general.....but at least people were having fun.
Here's a partial list of my 80's pantheon if guilty pleasures, in no particular order:

Streets of Fire
The Last Starfighter
Heavy Metal
Revenge of the Nerds
I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
Just One of the Guys
Dune
Rustler's Rhapsody
Tron
Highlander
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension
Doctor Detroit
Chariots of Fire
Bachelor Party
The Heavenly Kid

There may be more...

Here's a partial list of my 80's pantheon if guilty pleasures, in no particular order:

Streets of Fire
The Last Starfighter
Heavy Metal
Revenge of the Nerds
I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
Just One of the Guys
Dune
Rustler's Rhapsody
Tron
Highlander
Doctor Detroit
Chariots of Fire
Bachelor Party
The Heavenly Kid

There may be more...
I feel like Tron, Nerds, and Highlander are great movies......shouldn't feel guilty about those at all

Streets of Fire
The Last Starfighter
Heavy Metal
Revenge of the Nerds
I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
Just One of the Guys
Dune
Rustler's Rhapsody
Tron
Highlander
Doctor Detroit
Chariots of Fire
Bachelor Party
The Heavenly Kid

There may be more...
I saw "The Adventures...." and it made me think about Adventures in Babysitting. Another guilty pleasure.

Streets of Fire
The Last Starfighter
Heavy Metal
Revenge of the Nerds
I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
Just One of the Guys
Dune
Rustler's Rhapsody
Tron
Highlander
Doctor Detroit
Chariots of Fire
Bachelor Party
The Heavenly Kid

There may be more...
I feel like Tron, Nerds, and Highlander are great movies......shouldn't feel guilty about those at all
Sadly, not everyone believes as we do that they're great movies.Tron is quaint with nostalgic value to :nerd: but otherwise is outdated and borderline campy. Nerds is anathema to current culture and Highlander got ripped in Talladega Nights. When you die on a hill for a movie, it is a guilty pleasure not because you feel guilty but rather others and/or history feel guilty for you.

Just One Of The Guys - used to love this movie as a kid. Not sure it holds up but you get Johnny Lawrence 2.0 and a few other memorable characters. Definitely overlooked like Last American Virgin. Was pleased to find the entire movie on youtube:

Just One Of The Guys - used to love this movie as a kid. Not sure it holds up but you get Johnny Lawrence 2.0 and a few other memorable characters. Definitely overlooked like Last American Virgin. Was pleased to find the entire movie on youtube:

Buddy stands alone on the Mount Rushmore of obnoxious younger siblings in ‘80s movies.

Buddy stands alone on the Mount Rushmore of obnoxious younger siblings in ‘80s movies.

I'll watch it again just for the Buddy scenes.

i :wub: her so hard

it definitely toyed with my emotions :wub: her acting like a "guy" :unsure:
This reminded me of another 80's (very) guilty pleasure movie, featuring the guy that played her boyfriend at the beginning and showed up at the end, Leigh McCloskey: Hamburger: The Motion Picture, not to be confused with the not-quite-as-obscure Shannon Tweed vehicle, Hot Dog...The Movie.
Now we are getting into Ski School and SKi Patrol territory.... not good movies but I watch them every time they are on

So, if your default is stupid comedies, are the really guilty pleasures?
Based on people's answers in here, there are vastly differing definitions of "guilty pleasures".
Yea, good point.

Mr R likes it, too. We watched it again a few weeks ago.

You guys have listed some good movies.

Draft day. So stupid, but I'll watch it again.
This is a great call. Stupid movie, but I have seen it a dozen times. Is the perfect movie for a flight.

"I want my picks back, and I want David G** D**** Putney, just because I feel like it."

Of those choices I would say Caveman and Pretty in Pink would be the only two that fit for me. The other ones I have no embarrassment at all saying I like those movies.
Pretty in Pink is one of the very few movies mentioned in this thread that absolutely qualifies. First, it's a terrible movie, so it qualifies on the "bad movie" dimension. But films like Roadhouse and Bloodsport are also bad but will never, ever get you made fun of among your guy friends at a bar, whereas Pretty in Pink will result in you being mocked for the remainder of your days. Good call.

How quickly we forget Curtis Spicoli.

Jeff, Dad says you have to get up you butt-hole!

Dad! Jeff hit me!

I have 2 that are borderline but one is definitely a chick flick

Career Opportunities

Where the Heart is :bag:

Of those choices I would say Caveman and Pretty in Pink would be the only two that fit for me. The other ones I have no embarrassment at all saying I like those movies.
Pretty in Pink is one of the very few movies mentioned in this thread that absolutely qualifies. First, it's a terrible movie, so it qualifies on the "bad movie" dimension. But films like Roadhouse and Bloodsport are also bad but will never, ever get you made fun of among your guy friends at a bar, whereas Pretty in Pink will result in you being mocked for the remainder of your days. Good call.
Chick Flicks I have seen multiple times on purpose:

Bed Of Roses
Serendipity
Pitch Perfect
Pitch Perfect 2
Dirty Dancing
Bring It On

This is one of my favorite films. I feel no guilt in saying that. Ron Shelton before Bull Durham.

"Be bland and be strong."

Never heard of this one. Will add it to my list of 80s movies I missed. I tried watching St. Elmos Fire the other night and that was awful. Probably made it 30 minutes before giving up.
I'm fairly certain you'll come to the conclusion that St. Elmos Fire has little to nothing to do with The Best Of Times. Warning, it does have Robin Williams at his manic best - not everyone loves that.

"Jack ... Aquarius - gotta gotta gotta satisfy"

Taking the Pamela Reed link from The Best of Times to other 80's films, a guilty pleasure for me is Clan Of The Cave Bear. I can't defend it, but I will watch it if I happen across it. I'm a sucker for all things stone age.

This is one of my favorite films. I feel no guilt in saying that. Ron Shelton before Bull Durham.

Never heard of this one. Will add it to my list of 80s movies I missed. I tried watching St. Elmos Fire the other night and that was awful. Probably made it 30 minutes before giving up.
I'm fairly certain you'll come to the conclusion that St. Elmos Fire has little to nothing to do with The Best Of Times. Warning, it does have Robin Williams at his manic best - not everyone loves that.

"Jack ... Aquarius - gotta gotta gotta satisfy"

Oh yeah, I realize the only correlation is it's an 80s film that comes recommended and I haven't seen. Look forward to it :popcorn:

I have no idea how you got through thirty whole minutes of that dreck.

I have no idea how you got through thirty whole minutes of that dreck.

Trust me, I wanted to give up at the 15 minute mark but I was told it was an 80s classic :eek:

Yeah they thought the cast would carry that one. The new rat pack. They were wrong. What a mess.

Yeah they thought the cast would carry that one. The new rat pack. They were wrong. What a mess.

I honestly don't know what the person was thinking when they recommended it. I said I finally saw The Big Chill and thought it was decent. They then asked if I've watched St. Elmo's Fire :lmao:

there are prob alot of "bad" movies that I like but the first that popped into my head was Mars Attacks!

and deep blue sea

I'd add "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" as a guilty pleasure. Not PC as Joel Grey plays an Asian mentor.

Also, "Howard The Duck". I remember hating it when it was first released. Now, I'll watch it.

Also just remembered the little brother from Better Off Dead.

What's a little boy like you doing with big boy smut like this?

He didn't even have any lines the entire movie and was a boss.
Four weeks, twenty papers, that's two dollars.....

Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn

I quote this movie so freaken much, especially when someone asks me what they owe me.

Also just remembered the little brother from Better Off Dead.

What's a little boy like you doing with big boy smut like this?

He didn't even have any lines the entire movie and was a boss.
Four weeks, twenty papers, that's two dollars.....

Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn

I quote this movie so freaken much, especially when someone asks me what they owe me.
I still laugh the most from Roy Stalin and Charles Demarr...

Roy Stalin:You'll make a fine helper. What's your name?
Charles Demarr:Charles Demarr.

Roy Stalin: Well, you certainly get my vote for cutest couple at the dance, but you better shave her before you kiss her good-night.
Charles Demarr: :mellow:;(:):excited::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread