What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guilty Pleasure Movies (1 Viewer)

There's a cheerleader movie called Bring It On. I don't know why I liked this so much, but it was seared into my brain enough that I almost watched it again voluntarily on a plane yesterday and was excited to do so. Almost, I say. I watched Chinatown again instead.

ETA: And felt better about myself.
I really enjoy this movie. Not high brow but very funny at times.

Love how it simultaneously pokes fun at cheerleading while highlighting how impressive good cheerleading squads are athletically.

Dunst and Union are good in this and much of the writing is quite clever.

I’d rather re-watch this movie than Chinatown…
:scared:

I hadn’t seen Chinatown in 30(?) years and frankly was disappointed.
I had that same experience.

I don't get the adulation.

There's a cheerleader movie called Bring It On. I don't know why I liked this so much, but it was seared into my brain enough that I almost watched it again voluntarily on a plane yesterday and was excited to do so. Almost, I say. I watched Chinatown again instead.

Love how it simultaneously pokes fun at cheerleading while highlighting how impressive good cheerleading squads are athletically.

Funny, I just watched it for the first time tonight :bag: Wasn't bad.

I had that same experience.

I don't get the adulation.
Wikkid was such a huge fan of it that I thought about finding his posts to see if I could figure out what I was missing.

Mr R likes Roadhouse.

Also They Live!
Roadhouse is the definition of a guilty pleasure

-It has wrestlers from the 80s in it
Swayze's life was cut short so we don't have a lot of great action movies with him
Sam Elliott provides a level of realism that shouldn't even be there but he's great when he's on screen.
It has a pretty good house band and music.
-There's the nudity, there's Ben Gazzara a bit miscast but certainly plays the villain well in this...he just doesn't look like a Brad Wesley
There's bar fights, a monster truck going thru a car dealership showroom, a helicopter, a Mercedes being driven into a house with the use of a knife and no driver
This movie is a terrific guilty pleasure and still is.

I doubt the new one is going to stand up to the original
Outstanding example for this thread

I'm a sucker for music based movies, a few that come to mind for me...

Can't Hardly Wait, Jennifer love Hewett in a kind of timeless HS grad party movie, fun soundtrack and fun rendition of Paradise City
Eddie and the Cruisers, a fan of this soundtrack, "On the Darkside"
Begin Again, Once, Sing Street, the John Carney trilogy
The Commitments, an enjoyable Irish yarn of a band's 15 minutes of fame..
Rock Star, I did re-watch this recently, it did not hold up as well as I recall, oh well, still like the premise though
Buddy Holly Story, love Gary Busey in this
Strictly Ballroom, more dance then music, but a true guilty pleasure from Baz in this Aussie ballroom dance flick
Drumline, fun school challenge, drumming flick
High Fidelity - did a recent re-watch, doesn't hold up as well as it did, probably because I've seen it too often, but there are still some great moments
School of Rock, good clean fun
That Thing You do, catchy title tune, decent little one hit wonder flick
Grease - total schmaltz but has some great tunes
Saturday Night Fever, did a rewatch recently and yeah some of this is totally of its era, but has a first class soundtrack and when Tony hits that dance floor, electric...
office and a gentleman, did a rewatch of this 40 years later, starts out very dated and old fashioned, but it absolutely reeled me in, and the use of up where we belong at the end was perfect
deep dive with 100 men and a Girl with Deanna Durbin from 1937, classic depression era flick with Deanna doing her thing harassing world famous conductor leo stokowski, who plays himself, she wants him to conduct her dad and all his out of work musician friends, a total hidden gem fave of mine...

All those John Hughes movies we grew up with were awful on the day they were released. I mean, Breakfast Club is probably the best of the bunch, and its an objectively bad movie with a hackneyed plot, cardboard cut-out characters, and cringey writing. But I still watch those from time to time for nostalgia value.

Bloodsport would be another good one. Surely nobody would argue that this is in any way a good movie, yet I've probably seen it over a dozen times.

Going to the theater tonight for a special screening of R.A.D.

The amount of love I have for this movie and soundtrack knows no bounds.

All those John Hughes movies we grew up with were awful on the day they were released. I mean, Breakfast Club is probably the best of the bunch, and its an objectively bad movie with a hackneyed plot, cardboard cut-out characters, and cringey writing. But I still watch those from time to time for nostalgia value.

Bloodsport would be another good one. Surely nobody would argue that this is in any way a good movie, yet I've probably seen it over a dozen times.
Blood Sport rules!!!!!

I'm a sucker for music based movies, a few that come to mind for me...

Can't Hardly Wait, Jennifer love Hewett in a kind of timeless HS grad party movie, fun soundtrack and fun rendition of Paradise City
Eddie and the Cruisers, a fan of this soundtrack, "On the Darkside"
Begin Again, Once, Sing Street, the John Carney trilogy
The Commitments, an enjoyable Irish yarn of a band's 15 minutes of fame..
Rock Star, I did re-watch this recently, it did not hold up as well as I recall, oh well, still like the premise though
Buddy Holly Story, love Gary Busey in this
Strictly Ballroom, more dance then music, but a true guilty pleasure from Baz in this Aussie ballroom dance flick
Drumline, fun school challenge, drumming flick
High Fidelity - did a recent re-watch, doesn't hold up as well as it did, probably because I've seen it too often, but there are still some great moments
School of Rock, good clean fun
That Thing You do, catchy title tune, decent little one hit wonder flick
Grease - total schmaltz but has some great tunes
Saturday Night Fever, did a rewatch recently and yeah some of this is totally of its era, but has a first class soundtrack and when Tony hits that dance floor, electric...
office and a gentleman, did a rewatch of this 40 years later, starts out very dated and old fashioned, but it absolutely reeled me in, and the use of up where we belong at the end was perfect
deep dive with 100 men and a Girl with Deanna Durbin from 1937, classic depression era flick with Deanna doing her thing harassing world famous conductor leo stokowski, who plays himself, she wants him to conduct her dad and all his out of work musician friends, a total hidden gem fave of mine...
Seth Green owns every scene in Can't Hardly Wait.

Blood Sport rules!!!!!
Yeah, nothing guilty. I watch it all the time when it's on, and it's on a lot. @Hartliner

First one that came to mind is Elizabethtown with Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst.

I'll also add Hot Rod starring Andy Samberg, Bill Hader and Danny McBride... so stupid but I find it hilarious

Varsity Blues

Really not a good movie...but funny and plenty of great quotes thrown in there to make up for it...plus VanderBeek's terrible accent "I don't want your life"
Love this one. Jon Voight's over the top acting. Cheesy dialog. Plus when Kilmer quits at halftime, somehow the players are in charge? Did all of the assistant coaches quit too?

Over the Top.

Scott Caan and David Arquette as prototype idiot besties, obsessed with pro wrestling, go on a quest to meet their wrestling hero. Hijinks ensue. What I love about this film is that the entire cast absolutely bought into the story and gives it their all, including Oliver Platt and Oscar-winner Martin Landau, who should have gotten another Oscar for his role here.

"OK, USA!"

I just watched this one again the other night. So bad and so awesome at the same time.

Varsity Blues

Really not a good movie...but funny and plenty of great quotes thrown in there to make up for it...plus VanderBeek's terrible accent "I don't want your life"
Love this one. Jon Voight's over the top acting. Cheesy dialog. Plus when Kilmer quits at halftime, somehow the players are in charge? Did all of the assistant coaches quit too?
Kilmer drove off all the assistants during the season, I guess. :lol:

"OK, USA!"

I just watched this one again the other night. So bad and so awesome at the same time.
So many memorable cheesy lines in it:

Very good, but brick not hit back.

"OK, USA!"

So many memorable cheesy lines in it:

Very good, but brick not hit back.
I laugh so hard at some of the odd looks on faces. Like when the kid gets his hat cut after stealing the sword. :lmao:

Going to the theater tonight for a special screening of R.A.D.

The amount of love I have for this movie and soundtrack knows no bounds.
I have the book and the movie on "DVD"
Also have that "DVD", which I think was LaserDisc burned onto a DVD. My buddy once bought a laserdisc/CD combo, just for the soundtrack, and found it was not an original CD, just burned from cassette. Thankfully Spotify has it all now.

Went to the 20th anniversary showing with my red "Rad Racing" tshirt, thinking it would be cool and was out done by a guy in the full RAD Racing tracksuit including helmet.

Varsity Blues

whip cream

Users who are viewing this thread